Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    As long as he can speak clearly & not in that can't understand gruff Bale voice that will be a +1 for DD/Batman Affleck.

Matthew
  • Options
    just don't carry the baggage you did for MoS into this movie, ok guys?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Tonebone said:

And remember... in Hollywoodland, he was George Reeves, so he was TECHNICALLY Superman. I remember there was a big fuss from WB about the Superman costume being used, and they filmed it without the S shield.., and added it digitally when WB ok'd it.

I thought of that, too.

First actor to play both?
  • Options
    batlaw said:

In just shocked he accepted. I'm betting they made one hell of a deal with him. Probably offered the keys to the kingdom to make all the pet projects he wants for many years.

Right.

Because who wants to play Batman?

He said sarcastically.

;)
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457
    Why not? As a person who hates tempting fate his turn in Hollywoodland might make me think twice but....... Good Luck!
  • Options
    I am sure he is going to be good, but I wish they cast an unknown. It will be a little strange watching him stand next to a smaller actor. The Marvel films have done a good job making stars for the most part.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Thanks to Affleck the entire news world is covering the project and providing the publicity long before a single scene is shot. It will be another movie spectacle amongst movie spectacles. We are being crammed for sure....

Good to know that Affleck will have the time and cash to make more awesome movies of his own though. He's a great director and producer and a decent actor if the material suits him.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I'm not convinced. He's one hell of a director. Not so much in acting department. Saying that, his recent rolls have been a lot better then his Pearl Harbor era, so I'll give him a chance. He's got a hard act to follow though.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Rather he was directing it, but whoever they cast, any problems with the film is not likely going to lie with acting.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited August 2013
    mguy1977 said:

As long as he can speak clearly & not in that can't understand gruff Bale voice that will be a +1 for DD/Batman Affleck.

Matthew

You didn't understand the dialogue? Bale's voice was best in the first & last movie. The low, gruff, growl like voice was perfect for the character. I thought some of his Batman dialogue was kind of corny "where is it? Where's the trigger? You wouldn't give it to an ordinary citizen!"

M
  • Options

I am sure he is going to be good, but I wish they cast an unknown. It will be a little strange watching him stand next to a smaller actor. The Marvel films have done a good job making stars for the most part.

I'd say this is WB's way to mirror Marvel Studios. The most known "Avenger" was Robert Downey, Jr. Presumably, Affleck will be the most well-known actor in the JLA with lesser known actors rounding out the cast. WB has this notion Batman will be the linchpin for their movie universe, so it makes more sense to cast a globally known actor.

M
  • Options
    Maybe WB can go in with Marvel and schedule a Batman & Daredevil team-up, and get Affleck to play both parts.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    So it seems that Superman vs. Batman is a conflict that will be resolved in a Zoolander style chin-off.
  • Options
    Matt said:

I'd say this is WB's way to mirror Marvel Studios. The most known "Avenger" was Robert Downey, Jr. Presumably, Affleck will be the most well-known actor in the JLA with lesser known actors rounding out the cast. WB has this notion Batman will be the linchpin for their movie universe, so it makes more sense to cast a globally known actor.

M
    Where is the earth-shattering kaboom?

There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    I don't like this. At all. Bale being back would be ten times better.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I am not a fan of the casting but he had the opportunity to prove us wrong.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    This is the best news about this movie I've heard so far. I wonder what kind of costume they will go with for this one.

Just glad it wasn't Bale. 20 years later he comes back out of retirement with reconstructed knees, elbows, shoulders and neck to fight a demigod. Good luck sir.
  • Options
    I am now far less disinterested in the movie than I was.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    So how bad is this casting call when it makes the non-comic/non--geek fanbase scratching their heads asking WTF?
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

It's terrible! How DARE they allow this guy to play Batman! I mean, his previous work was Beetlejuice and Mr. Mom! And as Johnny Dangerously! It's an outrage!

Oh. Wait. I was just repeating what fans said in 1988 when they announced Michael Keaton as Batman. I swear whenever I read people complaining about casting in Suiper-hero movies, I flash back to those Comic Buyer's Guide letters pages where people lost their minds.

I'm gonna wait until I see the movie and THEN judge. I mean, yeah, he sucked in some movies, but Argo was probably one of the best movies of the last 20 years.

(needed more Jack Kirby, tho)

Except we've seen him play something very similar... Daredevil...a role in which I personally think he did a terrible job with.

• Options
    Dan_CapDan_Cap Posts: 39
    I think his big name will work, but I don't think he'll be a good batman, none of his dark roles felt credible to me, he is not a guy with an edge, he's not tough or crazy (bale). Atleast Casey Affleck can do crazy.
  • Options
    Dan_Cap said:

I think his big name will work, but I don't think he'll be a good batman, none of his dark roles felt credible to me, he is not a guy with an edge, he's not tough or crazy (bale). Atleast Casey Affleck can do crazy.

I thought he did crazy pretty well in Dogma. Not sure where else he's ever been given the opportunity with a character to do crazy.
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    edited August 2013
    Matt said:

mguy1977 said:

Matthew

You didn't understand the dialogue? Bale's voice was best in the first & last movie. The low, gruff, growl like voice was perfect for the character. I thought some of his Batman dialogue was kind of corny "where is it? Where's the trigger? You wouldn't give it to an ordinary citizen!"

M
    I could understand West Batman, Keaton Batman, Clooney & Val Batman no problem. Bale Batman was a mess w/ his gruff voice does make it hard to CLEARLY understand what the hell he was saying. Even the last Batman was a mess between gruff Batman & Bane.

Matthew
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Well, that was unexpected. If I hadn't seen the story no CNN first, I would have thought it wasn't true.

I'm neither excited nor upset over the casting, but I am surprised he would do it. Is it known for certain that he's committed to do JLA, as well? Because committing to that is what really surprises me. I knew he was already planning on acting in other people's films this year and next, but I'd assumed that was going to become the exception as he shifted further into directing.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

I didn't say if I liked it or hated it. I only commented on the potential strategy.

M

BOOM!
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

I didn't say if I liked it or hated it. I only commented on the potential strategy.

M

BOOM!
    :D
  • Options
    Planeis said:

I don't like this. At all. Bale being back would be ten times better.

I actually this having Bale return would make it worse. It'd shit on what Nolan did beforehand. THIS Batman had to be someone new.

Here's my (possible) Kaboom:

I'm more concerned with the idea then the actor. Affleck 10yrs ago would concern me more then Affleck today. The Town & Argo has proved he's grown as an actor. I'm not 100% sold on the actor, but I'm not upset or uninterested in the movie now. Having this actor means we probably won't get a new Batman trilogy anytime soon (luckily). We might get solo movies of other JLA-ers with Batman more like Nick Fury making cameos. Plus, if Affleck directs to JLA movie, I'd be very happy with it.

Having a big name actor means what happened in Man of Steel will be overshadowed. I wanted to see more of Cavill's Superman without another hero. His Superman just got derailed both by another hero AND a bigger actor playing the hero.

Now with a big name actor, Batman WILL be the DC universe. I'd like to see everyone more on par then a big name actor surrounded by lesser known. I'm also more concerned the JLA movie train will pick up speed and crash then travel.

M