Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice (Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    To be serious, though, I think it might be smart for them- given Aquaman's camp reputation- to have one that is this far from the Super Friends era. It could be that the general public will be more down for an Aquaman who is basically the Karl Drogo of the sea, rather than an orange-shirted friend of the dolphins. And I know that a lot of people liked the much more fantasy king story heavy Kurt Busiek/Butch Guice era Aquaman, that this might be reminiscent of.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    rebis said:

Aquaman

Nerd-Brain engaged.

How would underwater tattooing work?

What keeps the ink from dispersing?

Salt water in fresh tattoos has gotta hurt like hell!

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    David_D said:

To be serious, though, I think it might be smart for them- given Aquaman's camp reputation- to have one that is this far from the Super Friends era. It could be that the general public will be more down for an Aquaman who is basically the Karl Drogo of the sea, rather than an orange-shirted friend of the dolphins. And I know that a lot of people liked the much more fantasy king story heavy Kurt Busiek/Butch Guice era Aquaman, that this might be reminiscent of.

First, this definitely puts the DCCU in the opposite tone as MCU.

Second, another blond character lost!

M
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I'm intrigued by that tag "Unite the Seven". I Aquaman going to be all kingly, take the lead, and tell the others how to behave?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

rebis said:

Aquaman

Nerd-Brain engaged.

How would underwater tattooing work?

What keeps the ink from dispersing?

Salt water in fresh tattoos has gotta hurt like hell!

Needles made from sea urchin spines, ink from an octopus, naturally. That's pure Topo juice there!
  • Options

Needles made from sea urchin spines, ink from an octopus, naturally. That's pure Topo juice there!

No octopus sidekicks were harmed in the making of this film.
  • Options
    Matt said:

First, this definitely puts the DCCU in the opposite tone as MCU.

I'd say it continues the established tone: Sepia.
  • Options
    So... instead of being current to what's in the ongoing books in the shops, they're going retro - to a look that's twenty years old and was done away with a decade ago.

Makes sense to me.

At least they're not using the hook.
  • Options

So... instead of being current to what's in the ongoing books in the shops, they're going retro - to a look that's twenty years old and was done away with a decade ago.

Makes sense to me.

Considering the Batman version they're using is nearly thirty years old, it seems fresh by comparison.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Makes sense to me.

Movies that cost hundreds of millions to make are not about selling 20K comic books a month.
  • Options
    I find the image intriguing. I wish there was more color to it. I can't tell if Aquaman has "swimmers" hair or if a Gull crapped on his head.
  • Options
    rebis said:

I find the image intriguing. I wish there was more color to it.

A dearth of color seems to be the uniting theme of the BvS images.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Wouldn't a fast swimmer prefer less hair? Nevermind, I nitpicked Namor for the same thing twenty years ago when Jae Lee was the artist. I was a younger curmudgeon then I guess. As a matter of fact, this looks a lot more like that era of Submariner than any incarnation of Aquaman.

• Options
    Hasn't the entire "let's make Aquaman cool" effort boiled down to "let's make Aquaman more like Namor" anyway?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Hasn't the entire "let's make Aquaman cool" effort boiled down to "let's make Aquaman more like Namor" anyway?

It's hard to be as cool as Namor, but yes, I think you're right @WetRats
  • Options

BTW: this picture needs to have most of the color washed out and have DIVIDE THE FOUR superimposed upon it.
  • Options
    "Divide the Four" HAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHA!

How's this for a Namor tagline, "Hammer the MILF!"
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    rebis said:

Aquaman

Outrageous.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    WetRats said:

BTW: this picture needs to have most of the color washed out and have DIVIDE THE FOUR superimposed upon it.

Done.
  • Options
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited February 2015
    WetRats said:

Nah. Aquaman, even at his campiest, has always been cooler - he's worn a tech suit longer than Olympians have. Tech suits are always cooler than the classic Namor banana hammock.

Also, he's not a dick.

• Options

Wouldn't a fast swimmer prefer less hair? Nevermind, I nitpicked Namor for the same thing twenty years ago when Jae Lee was the artist. I was a younger curmudgeon then I guess. As a matter of fact, this looks a lot more like that era of Submariner than any incarnation of Aquaman.

That's true for surface dwellers, certainly. My son, who is a college swimmer, will shave down for upper level meets. However, there may be something about Atlantean physiology that results in their hair having less drag.

Sort of like the pebble texture on a shark's skin - it causes little eddies in the water which actually create less resistance when the shark is cutting through the water, but cause the tail and fins to grab more water for propulsion and maneuvering.

Yes. I am a swimming nerd.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

WetRats said:

Nah. Aquaman, even at his campiest, has always been cooler - he's worn a tech suit longer than Olympians have. Tech suits are always cooler than the classic Namor banana hammock.

Also, he's not a dick.

Lol. I don't think this is your daddy's Aquaman either.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    hauberk said:

WetRats said:

Also, he's not a dick.

I am fairly certain I've read issues where he was.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

hauberk said:

WetRats said:

Also, he's not a dick.

I am fairly certain I've read issues where he was.

M
    OK, so he's not a dick of the same caliber as Namor... the Grand-High-Uber-dick.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Whoever said that this look hasn't been used in decades didn't watch Justice League Unlimited. Where they clearly were riffing on that very look. To up the swimmer nerd info, have you seen how bleached out the hair on surfers can get? Too much time in the sun. So imagine being in the cold dark and being part human (if that's what they are going for). That would definitely wash out his look.
  • Options
    I think the washed out look is a design choice. The other images that have been released share the look.
  • Options
    RepoMan said:

Whoever said that this look hasn't been used in decades didn't watch Justice League Unlimited.

I think Aquaman was still sporting that look (and hook) at the time JLU was aired -- or, at least, when the show was in the production stages. It was still fresh enough at the time that the studio decided to go with it.

• Options
    rebis said:

I think the washed out look is a design choice. The other images that have been released share the look.

And if you watch Man of Steel, it also had that "no color" look. I've been making the joke that I like that the movie will be in clack and white....but as long as they don't use the same dark blue filter every TV show and movie seems to be filmed through, I'll be happy.