Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Music Thread

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    luke52 said:

Don't know if you guys know about Foals over in the States. Their new album What Went Down is a very very good album. Give it a go.

I hadn't really listened to them before other than the big song of their last album, but I just listened to the new album, and while it's nice, it feels to me like a slightly bland version of several other current bands. Or maybe a less interesting updated version of Doves. It might be a good album to play as background music when I'm working or something, but it didn't really connect with me. Solid songwriting, but with nothing to set it apart from the crowd.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

luke52 said:

Don't know if you guys know about Foals over in the States. Their new album What Went Down is a very very good album. Give it a go.

I hadn't really listened to them before other than the big song of their last album, but I just listened to the new album, and while it's nice, it feels to me like a slightly bland version of several other current bands. Or maybe a less interesting updated version of Doves. It might be a good album to play as background music when I'm working or something, but it didn't really connect with me. Solid songwriting, but with nothing to set it apart from the crowd.
    Wow, bland is the last thing is describe as, but each to their own. They've been going for a good few years now. They have been very 'peak and troughs' with their albums. First one, Antidotes, is good, and they're a great live band.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    luke52 said:

luke52 said:

Wow, bland is the last thing is describe as, but each to their own. They've been going for a good few years now. They have been very 'peak and troughs' with their albums. First one, Antidotes, is good, and they're a great live band.
    Basically, the way I judge bands these days is if hearing their songs makes me want to pick up my guitar or bass and play along or not. None of their songs on this album did that for me. They've obviously got a pretty strong following though, as they had good numbers on Spotify. And I didn't hate them by any means, they just didn't spark my interest. I'll give Antidotes a listen some time.
  • Options
    shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457

Jeff Lynne just released a new "ELO" album called Alone In The Universe. I bought it on my lunch break yesterday and haven't stopped listening to it since.

While I will admit it's nothing groundbreaking when set against ELO's earlier body of work, Alone In The Universe does create a warm and inviting mood with the opening track "When I Was A Boy" and maintains it throughout. For me, it's as if Jeff Lynne has invited me in for a cup of tea and an afternoon of stories about the good ol' days as told through song.

I can't say much for Post 80's ELO output but I'm a huge fan of their 70's stuff and some of their 80's. I saw them live a few years back and while it was Lynne-less, it was easily one of the best shows I ever saw. Your recommendation sparks some interest in this new album as Lynne always makes things interesting.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,616
    So I'm listening to my country music playlist on Spotify and without a doubt it confirms what I've known for a while. I prefer to drink whiskey because that's the drink of "men", at least according to the legends.

My preference of Jim Beam (as my regular) is slightly more complicated. If I listen to Hank Jr. it's what he sings abou: also bubba Sparxxx drops in a few lyrics.Real talk I prefer Jack, but I developed taste for Bourbon before I met Jack.

So what are some drinks that you like because of music?
  • Options
    Try hypnotic early 2000s hiphop introduced me to one of the few mixed drinks I like the incredible Hulk (notice and Hennessey)
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

So I'm listening to my country music playlist on Spotify and without a doubt it confirms what I've known for a while. I prefer to drink whiskey because that's the drink of "men", at least according to the legends.

My preference of Jim Beam (as my regular) is slightly more complicated. If I listen to Hank Jr. it's what he sings abou: also bubba Sparxxx drops in a few lyrics.Real talk I prefer Jack, but I developed taste for Bourbon before I met Jack.

So what are some drinks that you like because of music?

I like pina coladas and getting caught in the rain.

(Not really.)
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Knew it was coming, gotta get the low hanging fruit early.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Knew it was coming, gotta get the low hanging fruit early.

Happy to oblige.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    edited May 2016

Drinks I've drunk because they were mentioned in music:

Van Halen (with Hagar) - "Cabo Wabo" - "...we drink mescal right from the bottle..."

Eagles - "Tequila Sunrise" - <-should be obvious

Concrete Blonde - "Mexican Moon" - "...two Tecates and lime..."

George Thorgood - "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" - To be honest, I can do without the last part...

Jimmy Buffett - "Margaritaville" - truth be told the song didn't have shit to do with me drinking them, but give the man a little credit.

• Options
    Torchsong said:

Drinks I've drunk because they were mentioned in music:

Van Halen (with Hagar) - "Cabo Wabo" - "...we drink mescal right from the bottle..."

Eagles - "Tequila Sunrise" -

The only credit I give to Jimmy Buffett is for carving out a very loyal audience off whose backs he can live very comfortably.

I do like Thorogood though, even though I prefer John Lee Hooker’s version.
  • Options
    New Question:

Top 5 rock albums of the 90s?
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

New Question:

Top 5 rock albums of the 90s?

What is this, High Fidelity all of a sudden?

This will require time and thought, and research for dates of things. I have a feeling things are going to lean early ’90s for me. But I know one that will definitely be on the list:

Nirvana — Nevermind (1991)
  • Options
    hornheadhornhead Posts: 137
    I might need to go off the top of my head for top 5 of the 90s.. Just put it out there. Because it's a toughie.

The The - Dusk, 1993
    A Tribe Called Quest - The Low-End Theory, 1991
    Blur - Modern Life Is Rubbish, 1993
    Beastie Boys - Check Your Head, 1992
    Weezer - Pinkerton, 1996

I'd say my 5 are reflective of my current mood.. I think The The probably always makes my list, if I was put on the spot to make a top 5. It is one of my favorite records, although it gets little critical love.

Any of these are also easily good enough IMO to make it, again depending on my mood:
    Urge Overkill - Saturation, 1993
    Cheap Trick - (second s/t album), 1997
    Nine Inch Nails - The Fragile, 1999
    Weezer - s/t, 1994
    Pharcyde - Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde, 1992
    Massive Attack - Mezzanine, 1998
    Spiritualized - Ladies and Gentlemen we are Floating in Space, 1997
    DJ Shadow - Endtroducing..., 1996
    Pulp - Different Class, 1995
    Beck - Midnight Vultures, 1999
    Jeff Buckley - Grace, 1994
    Mr. Bungle - California, 1999
    De La Soul - De La Soul Is Dead, 1991
    Supergrass - In It For the Money, 1997
    Supergrass - I Should Coco, 1994
    Portishead - Dummy, 1994
    Liz Phair - Exile In Guyville, 1993
    Depeche Mode - Violator, 1990
    Basement Jaxx - Remedy, 1999
    Fatboy Slim - You've Come a Long Way, Baby, 1998
    Garbage - s/t, 1995
    Radiohead - OK Computer, 1997

Some of these artists I would even consider other records.. Beck had two albums that were much bigger than the one I included, and I love both of those records. I could've easily included Pulp's This Is Hardcore or other stuff from Massive Attack.. Nirvana made fine albums, I do think In Utero is quite good. There were grunge SONGS that I dug a lot, and I still spin some of them. I love my hard and heavy rock, but I was not a huge grunge guy in the 90s. Was more of an Anglophile. Shoegaze & Britpop were awesome.

And, no question about it, the 1990s were the golden age of hip hop.

Plus, there were plenty of comp releases in the 90s that were great.. I'm thinking Zappa live albums, Beatle comps.. amazing movie soundtrack albums. Might not qualify here.
  • Options
    Top 5* albums of 90s

Lush - Split (1994)
    Soundgarden - Superunknown (1994)
    REM - Out of Time (1991)
    The Pursuit of Happiness - Where's the Bone? (1995)
    Marillion - Afraid of Sunlight (1995)

* My favorites. Not yours. :)
  • Options
    Here are a few that are in the running:

Sonic Youth — Goo (1990)
    Sugar — Copper Blue (1992)
    Lucinda Williams — Car Wheels on a Gravel Road (1998)
    Weezer — Weezer (Blue Album) (1994) or Pinkerton (1996)
    Social Distortion — White Light, White Heat, White Trash (1996)
    Fugazi — Repeater (1990) or Steady Diet of Nothing (1991)
    hornhead said:

The The - Dusk, 1993
    A Tribe Called Quest - The Low-End Theory, 1991
    Liz Phair - Exile In Guyville, 1993

Good call on these. I wasn't sure about including hip-hop, but Low-End Theory is one of my faves. I like some of the others on your list too, but these could end up on my list.
    Torchsong said:

A very good album, but I tossed it out because it's only my distant third-favorite of their albums. Louder Than Love and Ultramega OK are soooo much better IMO.
  • Options

Torchsong said:

A very good album, but I tossed it out because it's only my distant third-favorite of their albums. Louder Than Love and Ultramega OK are soooo much better IMO.
    Truth! ;)

Minority opinion, I'm sure, but I have to say- as a follower/fan of Soundgarden.. I think Superunknown is the worst of their original 80s-90s run. I really like the early, rougher stuff. Badmotorfinger is good with great moments (led by "Rusty Cage".) Aside from "The Day I Tried To Live", Superunknown is where they lost me.

Then they tightened up the songwriting and went "full-Zep" to swing for radio hits on the next record (some of which I liked). Some good tunes there, but ultimately disposable stuff- I found myself longing for their earlier, messier sound.

I remember liking the Audioslave record when it came out. But I haven't listened to it since then. Some of Cornell's solo stuff.. I remember some moments among mostly mellower, pedestrian (or worse) tunes. IMO with that voice, he needs to rock.

There was a Chris Cornell solo record done with Timbaland I think? Good god, no.. what a disaster. And Trent Reznor had some real choice words for it in an interview when that came out (They patched things up- I saw the Soundgarden/NIN tour a few years ago).

I saw and enjoyed the tour, but skipped the reunion album.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

Top 5* albums of 90s

Lush - Split (1994)
    REM - Out of Time (1991)
    The Pursuit of Happiness - Where's the Bone? (1995)
    Marillion - Afraid of Sunlight (1995)

* My favorites. Not yours. :)

Not necessarily- good picks!

Lush was great. I have a best of comp, and I am familiar with their albums. Great band.
  • Options
    Just saw we were asked "top 5 rock albums of the 90s".
    This is why I had trouble in school.
  • Options
    It was a tossup between BadMotorFinger and Superunknown. I was in a band in the 90s and our setlist drew pretty heavy from Superunknown, so it's special to me, regardless of what the purists think is "better" (so nyah! :) )

I'd also throw PJ's "Vs." album in there for good measure.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    No Pavement love?!?!

1. Radiohead - OK Computer
    2. Pavement - Brighten the Corners
    3. Beck - Mutations
    4. Pulp - Different Class
    5. Nirvana - In Utero

Honorable mentions:
    Nine Inch Nails, Foo Fighters, Beastie Boys, Sleater-Kinney, Fugazi, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Blur, Spiritualized, Oasis, Primal Scream, Modest Mouse, Mogwai, Yo La Tengo, Cibo Matto, Sean Lennon, Green Day, Weezer
  • Options
    Dang, I forgot about Cake. Comfort Eagle is probably their best album, and doesn't qualify, but I love Fashion Nugget and Prolonging the Magic too.

A few more possiblilities:
    Dinosaur Jr. — Where You Been (1993)
    Afghan Whigs — Gentlemen (1993)
    Ben Folds Five — Whatever and Ever Amen (1997)
    Soul Coughing — Ruby Vroom (1994)
    Paul Westerberg — 14 Songs (1993)

I had to look at the song lists for BadMotorFinger and Superunknown. For some reason those two albums blur together for me, but I think I actually prefer BMF.

I thought about Modest Mouse, but their best stuff came out after the ’90s, so I put them back on the shelf.
  • Options

I thought about Modest Mouse, but their best stuff came out after the ’90s, so I put them back on the shelf.

My faves of theirs:

Lonesome Crowded West
    and Building Nothing out of Something - a compilation

I've enjoyed most of their stuff since 2000, but none of it is their best, imho.
  • Options
    The old stuff is really good, but The Moon & Antarctica (2000) is probably my favorite of theirs—just a deeper album to me. And I don't really count compilations for lists like this.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention Morphine- Cure For Pain. Amazing band and this was the best of several excellent records in the 90s.
  • Options
    hornhead said:

Forgot to mention Morphine- Cure For Pain. Amazing band and this was the best of several excellent records in the 90s.

Really good album. Shame he died so young.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    What's going on? My post will only appear once approved???
  • Options

hornhead said:

Really good album. Shame he died so young.
    Another shame they died so young (which I would add to my honorable mentions)...
    Tim Taylor of Brainiac - Hissing Prigs in Static Couture
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    The new record by the Monkees, Good Times, is great. Like, not just decent for a bunch of older guys getting back together because of an anniversary, but genuinely good. The songwriters' fingerprints are all over it, but it works... a typical Monkees record was all over the place musically, anyway, so sounding like XTC here and Death Cab there really doesn't feel out of place. And hey, it turns out I've been waiting for Mickey Dolenz doing a passable Andy Partridge imitation my whole life... who knew?

And thanks to old tapes and new technology, we get new vocals from both Davy Jones (to be expected) AND Harry Nilsson (a surprise and a treat), so yeah, there's that.

Kick in the extra buck or so for the Deluxe edition... the second version of "Me and Magdalena" is terrific in a completely different way than the "official" one, and I think I may even like it a little better.