Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Official Thread (Spoiler Heavy)

Comments

• Options
    Anyone else hoping last nights episode leads to the origin of Klaw, and then Black Panther?
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206

Peter said:

Casting that particular actor to be an Agent that gives Coulson a warning is cementing my theory that Phil and his group are chasing their own tail. Namely, all that Centipede business is just a front of rogue SHIELD agents - or something of that nature. Or SHIELD has been infiltrated by the Red Skull and HYDRA. We'll see.

"That particular actor..." is Titus Welliver and he appeared as Agent Blake in the short "Item 47" from the avengers Marvel One-shot. I think his inclusion was more of a universe reference cameo more than anything.
    Too bad they didn't get Lizzy Caplan back too. She is great in that Masters and Johnson show on Showtime.

Personally I really liked the last few weeks. I also am coming around to Agent Ward. His character has been much better the last few weeks. Even the Simmons and Skye antics were kind of funny last night.

I can't see how people can say this isn't steeped in Marvel movieverse stuff. Most episodes have references to the movies. Next week looks to spin directly out of Thor 2. And any show that is nothing but easter eggs quickly becomes nothing but fan service.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    edited November 2013
    JDick said:

Peter said:

Casting that particular actor to be an Agent that gives Coulson a warning is cementing my theory that Phil and his group are chasing their own tail. Namely, all that Centipede business is just a front of rogue SHIELD agents - or something of that nature. Or SHIELD has been infiltrated by the Red Skull and HYDRA. We'll see.

"That particular actor..." is Titus Welliver and he appeared as Agent Blake in the short "Item 47" from the avengers Marvel One-shot. I think his inclusion was more of a universe reference cameo more than anything.
    Too bad they didn't get Lizzy Caplan back too. She is great in that Masters and Johnson show on Showtime.

Personally I really liked the last few weeks. I also am coming around to Agent Ward. His character has been much better the last few weeks. Even the Simmons and Skye antics were kind of funny last night.

I can't see how people can say this isn't steeped in Marvel movieverse stuff. Most episodes have references to the movies. Next week looks to spin directly out of Thor 2. And any show that is nothing but easter eggs quickly becomes nothing but fan service.
    We actually talked about the crossover with Thor: TDW when we reviewed it. We figured it would just be listening to Darcy's call & that's it.

M
  • Options

You are mentioning random throw away mentions. I am saying the story should be steeped in it. The writing isnt strong enough to tell stories on their own so the least they could do is tell marvel stories.

huh.. all those references and it is still not enough? oh well, sometime you just cannot please everyone.

moving on.. I see growth in the series and I am pleased with that. A very fine line these writers have to dance within the whole Marvel Movie/Tv Universe. I hope it continues to work..

• Options
    I am still watching and enjoying the show, and it's actually getting better every episode, while the other new show I started watching "The Blacklist" is declining as it goes on. The agents are getting strong personalities, the plots are becoming more character driven, and I'm hoping that all of the little mysteries lead to bigger ones, so they don't have the "We cleared everything up, now what?" that plagues a lot of shows after a while.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200

I am still watching and enjoying the show, and it's actually getting better every episode, while the other new show I started watching "The Blacklist" is declining as it goes on. The agents are getting strong personalities, the plots are becoming more character driven, and I'm hoping that all of the little mysteries lead to bigger ones, so they don't have the "We cleared everything up, now what?" that plagues a lot of shows after a while.

I agree..especially about The Blacklist..oy.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited November 2013
    Best episode yet.

Good scripts, character improvement, easter eggs a'plenty, and I'm laughing again.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Really enjoyed the latest ep.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    batlaw said:

WetRats said:

Best episode yet.

Good scripts, character improvement, easter eggs a'plenty, and I'm laughing again.

Agreed. Peter McNichol is a fairly big name guest star. They are absolutely improving week after week. Arrow has gotten consistently better over time too so maybe my initial expectation was unreasonable.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Still being distracted by watching plenty of other good shows - but will check out S.H.I.E.L.D. when the other shows are on break (or done).
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited November 2013
    random73 said:

batlaw said:

WetRats said:

Best episode yet.

Agreed. Peter McNichol is a fairly big name guest star. They are absolutely improving week after week. Arrow has gotten consistently better over time too so maybe my initial expectation was unreasonable.
    Eh, this weeks episode made me question why I was bothering with this show. It was a disappointment on every level, but that maybe because the focus was on Agent Ward who has broken away from the pack as the most boring and redundant of the characters. Also, I'm tired of the show missing great opportunities to introduce real Marvel characters... How easy would it have been to forge the pieces of that staff into a crowbar, wrecking ball a helmet and a pair of gloves? I would have settled for a purple balaclava.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I'm liking this show. Not loving it. I can't say that there is anything wrong with it. Overall though, it's just not wowing me.
  • Options
    Another decent episode.

The big sensitive forest ranger was the highlight.
  • Options
    Just a thought: maybe the whole team is LMDs. It could explain why they're so dull.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    WetRats said:

Another decent episode.

The big sensitive forest ranger was the highlight.

Agreed! I thought that guy was genuinely funny.
  • Options
    Awwwwwww...

A love song for Coulson from a Portland cellist!
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    I need to watch it again. I was distracted and wasn't paying attention during the last 1/3 of the show. Did Ward holster his pistol at the end of the episode?
  • Options
    rebis said:

I need to watch it again. I was distracted and wasn't paying attention during the last 1/3 of the show. Did Ward holster his pistol at the end of the episode?

He May have done so.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

rebis said:

He May have done so.
    I am pretty sure he did. I kind of like the pairing to be honest.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    jaydee74 said:

WetRats said:

rebis said:

He May have done so.
    I am pretty sure he did. I kind of like the pairing to be honest.
    I agree.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

He May have done so.

I was making a joke, I say a joke there.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Interesting quote I found in an IGN.com article:
    In the final tag of the episode, Agent Coulson dreams of his time in Tahiti. While receiving a massage on the beach from an attractive massuse, Coulson asks, "Did I fall asleep?" to which his caretaker immediately responds, "For a little while."

This is a direct call back to Dollhouse, a short lived show on Fox. This was an exchange used between Dolls (field agents) and their Handlers. It was how you finalized a memory wipe and return to doll state.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Interesting quote I found in an IGN.com article:

In the final tag of the episode, Agent Coulson dreams of his time in Tahiti. While receiving a massage on the beach from an attractive massuse, Coulson asks, "Did I fall asleep?" to which his caretaker immediately responds, "For a little while."

This is a direct call back to Dollhouse, a short lived show on Fox. This was an exchange used between Dolls (field agents) and their Handlers. It was how you finalized a memory wipe and return to doll state.

That's interesting- especially as the current Secret Avengers book (which is really a SHIELD book by another name) uses that same mission-and-a-mind wipe premise. Which, I suppose also goes way back to that Secret War Bendis book. (Though in that case, forgetting the mission wasn't consented to in advance).
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Just saw the latest episode.

This show is getting better with each episode.
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    The episode with the "ghost" was entertaining. I'm digging the show and I'm looking forward to the two part episodes.
  • Options
    For me Agents of SHIELD is a show im only really sticking with because its Marvel and linked to the movie universe. If it wasnt for those things I probably would have dropped it by now.
  • Options
    The show must be getting better... I was disappointed there was no new episode this week.
  • Options
    I don't know. I like the show. I don't dislike it but it's really not wowing me. I know that the first season is really the season where a show gets it's legs but to be honest, if this show wasn't riding the wave of the Marvel movies, I'm not sure it would have lasted the season. I will continue to watch and hope that something will click with me where I suddenly am just very excited for this show. Right now? Just not there yet.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

I don't know. I like the show. I don't dislike it but it's really not wowing me. I know that the first season is really the season where a show gets it's legs but to be honest, if this show wasn't riding the wave of the Marvel movies, I'm not sure it would have lasted the season. I will continue to watch and hope that something will click with me where I suddenly am just very excited for this show. Right now? Just not there yet.

You speak truth. If not for the Marvel connection, no one would be watching. There will be no season 2.