Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Official Thread (Spoiler Heavy)

Comments

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    edited October 2013
    I liked this weeks episode more than last two. A bit darker. I think they played up more Skye and Fitz-Simmons being the "nerds" and the others being more the jocks. The fact that someone has better tech than Shield is cool.

Though it was better tech I then realized I wondered why they didnt add a small mic to pick up sound? That made it too easy for the team to work around it.
  • Options
    I'm actually liked shocked by how bad this show is. Just the first 15 minutes alone is so full of silly dialogue and boring plot. They couldn't do worse if they were actively trying to.

This plays like something that mst3k would watch.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    It's starting to wear on my wife and I kind of agree. Okay, we get it Skye is mysterious and hiding something (even though we get a little insight on tonight's episode). It's just getting cliche, too formulaic. The best parts are the ends, but even then they bring up more questions that are never satisfactorily answered. A case of Heroes-itis? It's hard to think that so many people knocked on The Walking Dead for so long. Sure there were times when it was a reeeeaaaally slow burn, but it had/has more heart than this. It takes more time to develop the characters. I just don't seem to care about any of the characters AoS. Sorry I'm so negative.
  • Options
    RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Well, at least @Torchsong finally got his fanservice.
  • Options
    Most enjoyable episode to date.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Falling behind already. Was busy watching other stuff. Will keep recording the episodes though and might do a marathon watching in the future. Reading this thread is rather demotivating...
  • Options
    chriswchrisw Posts: 792
    Once again, I found myself playing games on my Kindle during this. Never a good sign.

They seem so reluctant to embrace the comic book aspects. Once again, we get introduced to a character with superpowers, only for them to be removed by show's end.

I'm guessing it comes down to money, but seriously, in 2013 we haven't reached a point where simple stuff like super strength, fire, etc. can be done effectively on a tight budget? I feel like I'm back in the '70s, wondering why Spider-Man and the Hulk never fight any supervillains on their TV shows.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206

Falling behind already. Was busy watching other stuff. Will keep recording the episodes though and might do a marathon watching in the future. Reading this thread is rather demotivating...

Don't believe all the (negative) hype. Its a weekly TV show. They aren't going to be fighting the Chitauri every week. I find it more enjoyable than Sleepy Hollow, Blacklist, or Hostages which I tried this fall.
    Shows need to develop. Community was OK the first season but really figured it out Season 2. The same with Parks and Recreation. Even the Walking Dead went off the rails at the end of season 1 (that CDC stuff) and that's worked out pretty well for everyone.
    The X Files wouldn't have made it out of season 1 with this kind of attitude. Thank goodness it had time to develop.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Losing interest. I just feel like I wouldn't be missing anything if I missed an episode or turned it off.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Does this series slow start/less then expected remind others of Birds of Prey? I recall watching that series always wishing there was more to it. It seemed like there was some momentum near the end, but much like Knight Rider relaunch, it was too little too late.

M
  • Options
    JDick said:

The X Files wouldn't have made it out of season 1 with this kind of attitude. Thank goodness it had time to develop.
    I agree that X-Files (and many great shows) needed time to find themselves. But I remember being intrigued by Mulder and Scully from episode one, enough to carry me through that weaker season. I didn't experience that with AoS. Sure, Coulson is still a great character, and May is intriguing - but I couldn't care less about the other four.

I'm still watching it, and I don't think it's terrible. But without the Marvel connection, I doubt I'd be making time for it.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Well, at least @Torchsong finally got his fanservice.

Sadly, that wasn't enough to save it. As we were 'watching' the show:

Mrs. Torchsong: "This is boring."
    Torchsong: (playing a game on his DS) "What? Yeah..."

That's how riveting AoS is...

To quote MST3K: "This show dares you to watch it..."
  • Options
    Matt said:

Does this series slow start/less then expected remind others of Birds of Prey? I recall watching that series always wishing there was more to it. It seemed like there was some momentum near the end, but much like Knight Rider relaunch, it was too little too late.

M

Having just recently rewatched BOP on DVD, I can honestly say... no. SHIELD feels sharper and is more interesting. BOP always felt like I was watching the series through a barrier of gauze; people here are saying the SHIELD doesn't feel like it's connecting to the Marvel world very well, but I felt that BOP intentionally shied away from the DC connection, that any such connection felt like an embarassment to them rather than a celebration.

BOP did pick up a bit at the end (too late, as you say), but I think it was reaching the end of its planned story arc, setting up for the next season that wasn't coming.
  • Options
    I made the mistake of watching Person of Interest after AoS. This was a letdown from last week. Seems like it would be a better show if the took all the people with powers that were one and dones and make a show with them. Strong guy, woman with bionic eye, Scorch, and Gravitron.
  • Options

Seems like it would be a better show if the took all the people with powers that were one and dones and make a show with them. Strong guy, woman with bionic eye, Scorch, and Gravitron.

That's exactly what I've been thinking. Before I got into the rhythm of the show, I expected that sort of thing to happen. Not with all of them, but some of them. I watched that first episode thinking the new recruit we were supposed to focus on was the guy with super strength, not Skye. I hadn't been reading much about the cast before the show aired, so during that diner scene I'd assumed he was the regular cast member, and she was just there to help move the plot along. Had no idea she was going to be the center of the show.
  • Options
    I am all for letting a show develop but it has to have something to it for me to stay interested. As of now this show has no redeeming value whatsoever.

I also think the limits to which the viewing public is willing to stick with a show is getting less and less. People keep talking about the X-Files. When the X-Files premiered while it wasnt as great as it would become, it's quality was equal or better than other shows at the time. Now I can turn AOS off and watch hundreds of other superior programs, they arent going to keep people on board for too long.

The poster above who compared this show to the Hulk and Spiderman shows pretty much had it dead on, this is exactly what those shows felt like.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    another great episode, I wish I could trade places with one of the negative viewers and let them see what i see and .....well I don't think I want to see what they're seeing

there's a good story building here and I hope they don't listen to the rest of you and give us the pay off before they're good and ready
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    Krescan said:

another great episode, I wish I could trade places with one of the negative viewers and let them see what i see and .....well I don't think I want to see what they're seeing

there's a good story building here and I hope they don't listen to the rest of you and give us the pay off before they're good and ready

They already gave a full season pick up so its not going away!
  • Options
    JDick said:

Krescan said:

They already gave a full season pick up so its not going away!
    I don't want it to go away, it's one of my top 3 shows on tv right now

• Options

I disagree with the comparisons to the X-Files. The first 3 episodes showed exactly what kind of show it was, and the potential it had. The rest of the first season floundered a little, but you could immediately talk about what was great about the show: The dynamic leads, clear conspiracy-mystery, creepy monsters of the week. AoS is all flounder. I didn't think this week was terrible but I'm tired of that being the best review I can give. The best part of every episode is the hour afterwards I spend imagining the show I wish I was watching (which is awesome btw).

On a side note... So Skye's parents are Richard and Mary Parker right? And she can never find out because they are lost in an alternate dimension known as the Soniverse? No?
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I'll admit I've only seen the pilot so far. The previews (and comments here) haven't driven me take the time to watch the episodes since. I've been holding off on posting here too much about the show because of that. I'm waiting for a good chunk of the season or to hear an episode "was amazing" & a "huge step forward" before I sit & pound out a marathon.

So far, it seems like those that were impressed with the pilot only seem to get more impressed. Those that weren't impressed seem to be getting drastically less impressed. I'm really waiting for a couple side jumpers to voice their opinions.

M
  • Options
    I want this to be good. I want this to be good. I want this to be great!

...but so far, it's just not.
    Hell, even the writing in this weeks ep really took a drop for me too. The general plot idea was basically a rehash of the pilot, and we're only 5 eps in?!

I absolutely LOVE the marvel studios films, but I just feel like I'm punishing myself by watching this and it's starting to detract from my enjoyment of that universe.
  • Options
    Aw shiznit I just watched this weeks Arrow.
  • Options
    I'm getting kind of sick of "MAoS" casting minorities just to play treacherous/dangerous/unstable villains. Having Ming-Na Wen flying your jet around doesn't make up for the fact that this show gives kids weekly stories about a bunch of white people hunting down blacks, latinos, more blacks, and asians. (episodes 1, 2, 4, and 5, respectively).
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

I'm getting kind of sick of "MAoS" casting minorities just to play treacherous/dangerous/unstable villains. Having Ming-Na Wen flying your jet around doesn't make up for the fact that this show gives kids weekly stories about a bunch of white people hunting down blacks, latinos, more blacks, and asians. (episodes 1, 2, 4, and 5, respectively).

You are not wrong.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    To be fair, Skye is half-Asian, and Agent Buff McChiselchin obviously is mentally challenged. :)
  • Options
    Episode 2 wasn't hunting down Latinos but they did turn out to be "the bad guy of the week" so we can go halfsies on that one.

Episodes 1 and 5 the bigger bads were white (and the same people I think)

and Episode 4 we don't find out who was behind it yet

so while you're not wrong, but as the self appointed defender of MAoS (I don't like that, I'm going to call it Shield from now until Michael Chiklis asks me not to) I think there's enough evidence that we can squibble over the details a little
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Krescan said:

...as the self appointed defender of MAoS (I don't like that, I'm going to call it Shield from now until Michael Chiklis asks me not to)...

I like MAoS.

Rhymes with Chaos.
  • Options
    It bugs me how people call this show Shield. It's like confusing Dads for Breaking Bad.