Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. | Official Thread (Spoiler Heavy)

Comments

• Options

jaydee74 said:

I don't know. I like the show. I don't dislike it but it's really not wowing me. I know that the first season is really the season where a show gets it's legs but to be honest, if this show wasn't riding the wave of the Marvel movies, I'm not sure it would have lasted the season. I will continue to watch and hope that something will click with me where I suddenly am just very excited for this show. Right now? Just not there yet.

You speak truth. If not for the Marvel connection, no one would be watching. There will be no season 2.
    The problem is that it would have to slide a lot further to be doing worse than what ABC was already doing in the tues. 8pm slot. It's still, sadly, their biggest hit this year and you can't cancel everything. So fans of SHIELD rejoice, it will get renewed by default!

• Options
    That might be a weak reason for renewal, but it might work out to its advantage. It gives the show more room to play out its storylines and any long term plot lines. A friend of mine was comparing it recently to Buffy, saying that that show didn't really start off very strong either in his opinion, but developed into a strong show over a couple of seasons.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

That might be a weak reason for renewal, but it might work out to its advantage. It gives the show more room to play out its storylines and any long term plot lines. A friend of mine was comparing it recently to Buffy, saying that that show didn't really start off very strong either in his opinion, but developed into a strong show over a couple of seasons.

Absolutely. The last 1/2 of season 2 made that series. Season 3 kept the momentum go.

M
  • Options
    random73 said:
    Wow, I didn't realize non-DVR viewership drop by 1/2 from the pilot to the last new ep. DVR viewers dropped a little more then a million viewers. Total viewers dropped about 7 million. I didn't think the drop off was that much.

Next thing you know, some of the people who REALLY like the show will be pleading those on the fence to continue with the show to make sure there's a season 2.

M
  • Options

I dont think its the same. Buffy didnt hit the amazing stride it would ultimately get into until the later seasons but season 1 episode 1 was very enjoyable. It was a good show that become amazing.

AoS is an openly terrible show that people keep suggesting we wait to become good, which I personally think is crazy.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

random73 said:
    Wow, I didn't realize non-DVR viewership drop by 1/2 from the pilot to the last new ep. DVR viewers dropped a little more then a million viewers. Total viewers dropped about 7 million. I didn't think the drop off was that much.

Next thing you know, some of the people who REALLY like the show will be pleading those on the fence to continue with the show to make sure there's a season 2.

M
    Especially since Season 2 will be set in the aftermath of Captain America's war with SHIELD in the Winter Soldier movie!
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

M
    Especially since Season 2 will be set in the aftermath of Captain America's war with SHIELD in the Winter Soldier movie!
    To quote my favorite Batman movie line; used when Gordon stated "Looks like the Red Triangle Gang is back"

"We'll see." - Batman, Batman Returns

M
  • Options

I dont think its the same. Buffy didnt hit the amazing stride it would ultimately get into until the later seasons but season 1 episode 1 was very enjoyable. It was a good show that become amazing.

AoS is an openly terrible show that people keep suggesting we wait to become good, which I personally think is crazy.

I don't think it's a terrible show at all. I think it's pretty entertaining. I do think it needs more connection to the craziness of the Marvel Universe: more AIM, more Secret Society, more Hydra, more superhero and supervillain encounters (even if just a quick brushing past), etc. (Zodiac! Give us Zodiac!) The one sin the show has, IMO, is that it often feels isolated from that world, in spite of the dropped names and references. The Asgardian episode was a good step in the right direction; we need more of that.
  • Options
    How cool would it be if this series built toward the SHIELD storyline of Winter Soldier? Or perhaps at a faster pace.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

How cool would it be if this series built toward the SHIELD storyline of Winter Soldier? Or perhaps at a faster pace.

M

I really think it is going to do so.
  • Options
    Matt said:

random73 said:

M
    These are old numbers. Wonder what they look like now?
  • Options
    I'm curious as well. The show hasn't blown me away, but it's generally been good. Also, Marvel universe on TV. How can you hate that?

The characterization has been great, with the depth that has been layered on each of the agents over the season.
  • Options
    greyman24 said:

I'm curious as well. The show hasn't blown me away, but it's generally been good. Also, Marvel universe on TV. How can you hate?

I would read through this thread for the answer to that question.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

greyman24 said:

I'm curious as well. The show hasn't blown me away, but it's generally been good. Also, Marvel universe on TV. How can you hate?

M
    I see answers, but cannot understand them...particularly those that say they liked Buffy, but dislike this. The two series seem very similar in tone and characterizations. Primary difference is in the budget, which seems significantly better in AoS.

Happen to have picked the last couple of weeks to go back and watch the whole Buffy series, and confirmed my previous thinking on this. Both series have a strong emphasis on character and include "monster of the week" stories. Primary difference is that Buffy tended to have season-long story arcs around a single "big bad." We haven't seen any kind of similar big bad for AoS.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    edited December 2013
    Buffy built its universe as it went along. As viewers, we were along for the ride. AoS is part of larger universe that was already built out of seven (?) previous movies. But it isn't necessarily playing within that larger universe to a degree that is warranting it's existence in the first place. Especially if you go back to the initial trailers: "From Director Joss Whedon, the saga that began in Marvel's the Avengers continues on television." Ehhnnnn not really. Instead, they gave us an NCIS: LA retread.

Frankly, outside of the dialogue attempting to be witty, I don't see much else to compare it to Buffy. Nor should it try to be. This shouldn't be Buffy-esque, it should be Avengers or Marvel Cinematic Movies-esque. If anything, it gives me pause for Avengers 2. I've said before that the first Avengers movie benefitted more from what led into it over what Whedon brought to it. Now that Avengers 2 is more in Whedon's hands, and seeing what AoS is, I'm worried.

Good to see that the creators are acknowledging that the series needs to be more focused. Maybe we'll get something grander in the second half of the season.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited December 2013
    Peter said:

Buffy built its universe as it went along. As viewers, we were along for the ride. AoS is part of larger universe that was already built out of seven (?) previous movies. But it isn't necessarily playing within that larger universe to a degree that is warranting it's existence in the first place. Especially if you go back to the initial trailers: "From Director Joss Whedon, the saga that began in Marvel's the Avengers continues on television." Ehhnnnn not really. Instead, they gave us an NCIS: LA retread.

Frankly, outside of the dialogue attempting to be witty, I don't see much else to compare it to Buffy. Nor should it try to be. This shouldn't be Buffy-esque, it should be Avengers or Marvel Cinematic Movies-esque. If anything, it gives me pause for Avengers 2. I've said before that the first Avengers movie benefitted more from what led into it over what Whedon brought to it. Now that Avengers 2 is more in Whedon's hands, and seeing what AoS is, I'm worried.

Good to see that the creators are acknowledging that the series needs to be more focused. Maybe we'll get something grander in the second half of the season.

I love that people act like Joss Whedon is in the writer's room everyday and is an active participant in this show's day to day. He directed the first ep, had a hand in developing it initially and has an executive producer title, but Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen are the show runners. They should get the lion's share of the blame when it comes to AoS's shortcomings. Joss's name recognition is a marketing tool.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Peter said:

I love that people act like Joss Whedon is in the writer's room everyday and is an active participant in this show's day to day. He directed the first ep, had a hand in developing it initially and has an executive producer title, but Jed Whedon and Maurissa Tancharoen are the show runners. They should get the lion's share of the blame when it comes to AoS's shortcomings. Joss's name recognition is a marketing tool.
    Well.. It sounds like maybe he should be more careful with his name, then. As usually it is attached to things he has been more hands on and directly involved with.
  • Options
    I took the month of November off from television, the Internet, and social media in my house. I still haven't been on Facebook or twitter and the disconnect ended 12/1/13. Anyway the past week I caught up with Person of Interest, Arrow, Almost Human and Shark Tank but I have no interest catching up with AoS. None. I guess if I read about an episode that changes everything or a cast shake-up then I will see. I guess I will get my Marvel television in 2015 from Netflix.
  • Options
    greyman24 said:

Matt said:

greyman24 said:

M
    I see answers, but cannot understand them...particularly those that say they liked Buffy, but dislike this. The two series seem very similar in tone and characterizations. Primary difference is in the budget, which seems significantly better in AoS.

Happen to have picked the last couple of weeks to go back and watch the whole Buffy series, and confirmed my previous thinking on this. Both series have a strong emphasis on character and include "monster of the week" stories. Primary difference is that Buffy tended to have season-long story arcs around a single "big bad." We haven't seen any kind of similar big bad for AoS.
    Looks like you got your direct answers; its not quite the Marvel TV series people were looking for. It's just a procedural show with comic book wrapping.

M
  • Options
    greyman24 said:

Also, Marvel universe on TV. How can you hate that?

Some people just love to hate.
  • Options
    greyman24 said:

Primary difference is that Buffy tended to have season-long story arcs around a single "big bad." We haven't seen any kind of similar big bad for AoS.

It hasn't been spelled out yet, but there is a big bad for the season.

Discovering just who or what that big bad is interests me.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    WetRats said:

greyman24 said:

Primary difference is that Buffy tended to have season-long story arcs around a single "big bad." We haven't seen any kind of similar big bad for AoS.

It hasn't been spelled out yet, but there is a big bad for the season.

Discovering just who or what that big bad is interests me.
    Hail Hydra!
  • Options
    WetRats said:

greyman24 said:

Interesting...
    http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/645/movie-news-man-of-steel/p6

just saying!

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

greyman24 said:

Interesting...

just saying!

M
    Believe me, I did not love hating that movie.

It hurt.

It hurts that Superman has been ruined for me.

A lot.
  • Options

Peter said:

I love that people act like what I wrote ever stated Joss was in the writer's room everyday or that he was an active participant. My point stands.
  • Options
    Peter said:

Peter said:

I love that people act like what I wrote ever stated Joss was in the writer's room everyday or that he was an active participant. My point stands.
    It wasn't you specifically (I'd have been direct if I had a problem with your opinion), though the idea that his level of involvment with Avengers 2 and AoS are even remotely comparable and therefore inform one another is what prompted the comment. But in general, even in the press, I see the name Joss Whedon all over everything AoS, when its not really his show, not the same way Buffy or Dollhouse were. In fact, I have a bigger problem with the initial marketing materials you mentioned than your statement.

I dunno, it's immaterial. All that matters is that the show is not nearly as good as anyone would want it to be.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

greyman24 said:

Interesting...

just saying!

M
    Believe me, I did not love hating that movie.

It hurt.

It hurts that Superman has been ruined for me.

A lot.
    Heartbreaking. though I dont completely fault the Man of Steel movie or the writer/directer singularly responsible for ruining Superman. DC/WB has been deliberately and systematically directing his downward transformation for several years now. Its just all coming into focus and fruition now.
  • Options
    After the Walking Dead mid-season finale, this ep stood no chance. So much for "Episode 10 is a big ep, and I feel like we deliver".
  • Options
    I can't disagree with that.
  • Options
    So Melinda May is Skye's mom. That is why she is always so mean to her,it's the reason she came along on the mission and it's the reason she made it with Grant, to protect her from him.

I hope the clairvoyant is an actual MU character from the books or I will be sad.