Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel on Netflix- DD, JJ, LC, IF and Defenders (non-spoiler)

Comments

• Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623

Matt said:

Arguable, these characters are more associated with HfH then Defenders. If a new reader wanted to pick up the HfH source material, they'd be back issues...which Marvel can't make money on. Sure they could release Essentials or trades, but the REAL money would've come from the original issues.

SO, if they go with Defenders, new readers can pick up a new title, which would mirror the Netflix series. This title would be current, so Marvel can profit off it.

It makes perfect sense. That's why the source material is mirroring the movies.

M

No reason they couldn't put together a new HFH title to coincide with the series, especially as now there isn't a Defenders title being published either. Of course, that would kind of screw up the new Mighty Avengers line-up...

Come to think of it, wasn't Cage actually running a new HFH group just before Infinity got under way?
    They probably will have a new Heroes for Hire comic coming out soon to coincide with the shows. It will be called The Defenders though.

And there is a Defenders title out there right now, it's of the more Fearless and female variety though.

With Misty Knight (who still runs a hero for hire business) in Defenders right now it's a pretty easy gateway for that to be the new title.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    I like the symmetry of an Avengers movie franchise and a Defenders TV* franchise.

Besides, with Hulk firmly established as an Avenger, and Silver Surfer & probably Namor tied up with the FF license, the classic Defenders lineup is just not gonna happen.

*OK, Internet/TV, NuTV, whatever the heck you want to call it.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    random73 said:
    I like the idea of this. Not a big fan of the character choices (with possible exception of Iron Fist). It's like it's the Bendis TV block.

Regardless, I'll end up giving all of them a spin.

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Something that's good about this is that if there's a chance crossovers will occur with the movies or AoS, the production company properly will cast good quality actors for the heroes. Just think, if you got an actor like Smallville's Aquaman, you'll probably not see (or want to see) him on a bigger scale. Crossovers would strengthen AoS & the Netflix series, so having good quality actors would be a plus to get used in movies.

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited November 2013
    Not to go off in a new direction but I wonder if Disney will do something similar with Star Wars. They could have their long rumored network series and then have additional shows on Netflix.
  • Options
    KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Not to go off in a new direction but I wonder if Disney will do something similar with Star Wars. They could have their long rumored network series and then have additions shows on Netflix.

If the Defenders project does half way well I'd say you are 100% right

• Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Great news! Terrible news for my ever growing, bloated Netflix queue.

Yeah, I'll have that same problem. But I'll likely bump these ahead to the top of the list as they come out.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Besides, with Hulk firmly established as an Avenger, and Silver Surfer & probably Namor tied up with the FF license, the classic Defenders lineup is just not gonna happen.

Yeah, there is that. No real surprise. Would have been cool to have seen Dr Strange though, but I guess he wouldn't fit with the 'street hero' group they're putting together.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Peter said:

The amount of times I read a Chuck Melville post that contains "i'm disappointed that...", you'd think by now it would sink in that it's not them, it's you. It's called the new 52. It's called Marvel Now. It's not called Chuck Melville's longboxes of older comics.

Ouch.
  • Options
    Krescan said:

You're not going to get that on Netflix you probably don't get the Hulk without movie money behind it and if you do it's Lou Ferrigno painted green again. Which while was awesome back in the day would look silly compared to what we have now.

Same goes for Strange, Namor and Surfer, the street level characters are the ones that could really take off in popularity because they'll be more available to viewing instead of a movie every two or three years.

They probably should name them Heroes for Hire but Defenders sounds cooler.

My question is shouldn't the Luke Cage and Jessica Jones shows be combined into one? Admittedly I'm not very familiar with Jessica pre Bendis' avengers run (and not counting the girl I took to prom with the same name) Just seems like their stories would run together....unless they told the same story from two different perspectives which could be cool.

Netflix TV, in my experience, is good stuff. They do use weird things like shooting against a green screen to simulate outside stuff in House of Cards, but its very well done and not noticeable to everyone. They use quality productions. Both shows I've watched of them, House of Cards, and Orange is the New Black have been great.

Of course, those don't have the types of demands that these shows might have, but I feel fairly confident that they will look professionally made. The writing on the other hand, will be up to the writers.
  • Options
    This might make me subscribe to Netflix. It reminds me a bit of the old Marvel Knights series. With that in mind, I would have liked to see Moon Knight in there, but I do like DD, Iron Fist and Power Man (can we get him back to that name? And the yellow shirt?) I was never a fan of Jewel (the Alias title fooled me into thinking it was going to be Sydney Bristow), but I can see them wanting a female in the mix (this might have been a better setting for Black Widow, as I never really saw her as an Avenger, despite her prominence in the Jacket Days). I guess the Defenders name is out there, but I agree that Heroes for Hire would have been a better fit...
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Marvel one week slaps you around (the end of Waid's DD monthly comic)

Next week they gives you candy (Daredevil on Netflix).

My question is how do we get Marvel out of this abusive relationship w/ its readers/viewers?

Matthew
  • Options

With that in mind, I would have liked to see Moon Knight in there,

Too Batman-y.

*ducks and runs*
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

I've got mixed feelings on that. I have Netflix, but I don't stream -- I get the DVDs. So if they're not available on DVD, then it's inaccessible to me. My experiences with streaming are very much hit and miss, to the point where I'm not willing to sit and watch my laptop buffer for several minutes at a time. And my 'puters are not hooked up to the TV, so I'd be forced to watch it on a tiny screen instead of the big tube. (No, upgrading is not financially feasible at this time.) So... unless it's on DVD, it's a miss for me.

Christmas is coming. Ask for a used Roku, or even a cheapo Chromecast ($35) and a year's subscription to Netflix streaming. It is worth it. I dropped DVDs after 6 months. If you have no friends that would drop $$$ for a gift like that, do you think it may be time to sell a longbox?
    Peter said:

The amount of times I read a Chuck Melville post that contains "i'm disappointed that...", you'd think by now it would sink in that it's not them, it's you. It's called the new 52. It's called Marvel Now. It's not called Chuck Melville's longboxes of older comics.

Even though, similar to Chuck, I'm quite attached in the bronze age history of comics lore, this was L.O.L. - worthy.
  • Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    What, no fantasy casting yet? :)

Shame Lucy Lawless is too old for Jessica Jones.
  • Options
    Gargoyle said:

Eliza Dushku is my recommendation.

M
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Too Batman-y.

*ducks and runs*
    Unlike Ollie in that WB show: Arrow?!

M

*standing tall and bracing for impact* :)

• Options
    GargoyleGargoyle Posts: 199
    Matt said:

M

Funnily enough that's the first actress who came to mind for me. But she's just done so much genre TV, between her and Summer Glau I think Whedon-Alums have had their turn! Time to let someone else have a go.

I hope they follow the films and don't go too young with the casting.
  • Options
    Matt said:

*standing tall and bracing for impact* :)

Touche!
  • Options

Christmas is coming. Ask for a used Roku, or even a cheapo Chromecast ($35) and a year's subscription to Netflix streaming. It is worth it. I dropped DVDs after 6 months. If you have no friends that would drop $$$ for a gift like that, do you think it may be time to sell a longbox?

That's not the kind of gift request I'd drop on friends, and if I have the need to sell a longbox, then the money will likely be going towards more immediate necessities.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    WetRats said:

Too Batman-y.

*ducks and runs*
    Plus you can't get a pure white costume like Moon Knight's to show up well on camera...

:)

/Let's see who's REALLY been listening to the show. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    I'd like the idea of Moon Knight if (the costume was silver & black as intended) it was kind of a Fringe/X-Files show. Keep the supernatural aspects ambiguous like the 1st series, use Spector's CIA & military background to do some less supernatural type episodes as well. The cast from the Blade series could even do cameos/guest appearances. Plus, you could work in the Punisher, Secret Empire, etc.

It would help keep MK out of the "Batman-lite" area.

M
  • Options
    Gargoyle said:

Matt said:

M

Funnily enough that's the first actress who came to mind for me. But she's just done so much genre TV, between her and Summer Glau I think Whedon-Alums have had their turn! Time to let someone else have a go.

I hope they follow the films and don't go too young with the casting.
    I don't know. I'm still pushing for Jewel Staite to play the Wasp.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Gargoyle said:

M
    Big Buffy fan here... please no. I know a lot of fans like her, but well, I don't want to trash her. But please no.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318

I don't know. I'm still pushing for Jewel Staite to play the Wasp.

M

I love my woman and all but...if Jewel played her cards right...she could have me.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

That's not the kind of gift request I'd drop on friends, and if I have the need to sell a longbox, then the money will likely be going towards more immediate necessities.
    Snark free response: You can stream for free the first month. Once the episodes are released you could simply binge watch and cancel. Furthermore, a 3 month subscription is less than $25. If no friend would spend that on you, how about family? Or even doing it for yourself? Here's a helpful linky:
    https://signup.netflix.com/Gift/Select

And here's a Roku for $40.Roku on eBay

• Options

Snark free response: You can stream for free the first month. Once the episodes are released you could simply binge watch and cancel. Furthermore, a 3 month subscription is less than $25. If no friend would spend that on you, how about family? Or even doing it for yourself?
    I appreciate it, but no. I already have a Netflix subscription for DVDs and that really suits me better for many reasons besides the ones I just mentioned. I also depend upon the physical DVD to remind me that I have something to watch, which I would not if I had to depend upon my memory alone.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited November 2013
    To get back to the idea of naming it Defenders vs. Heroes For Hire, I am good with that.

Let's be honest, Heroes for Hire- while it has history- is a pretty bad name for the crossover that gathers these characters for TV. For a second pretend that it is a name we have never heard before--

It is a mouthful to say, is a little too cute and alliterative when you say it out loud (it sounds like something that should be on Nickelodeon and about spunky child PIs or something); and it puts the focus on the mercenary aspect, which I bet will get played way down. I bet they keep the PI aspect for Jessica Jones, but in the case of Iron Fist and, especially, Luke Cage, the idea of them being superheroes for cash is either something that is placed in the past of the character, or else is quickly gotten away from.

I mean, keeping in mind the context of there still being relatively few superhero shows on TV, in the world of 2014, are you going to have the first (?) superhero show with a black lead be the one where he does it for the money? One of the ONLY ones out there where the hero does it for the money? I think the optics of that would not go well.

Plus, Daredevil doesn't fit on a Heroes For Hire team. That was never his thing.

Whereas Defenders is short and to the point. It sounds like Avengers, which is of course what they want-- this is the TV answer to the Marvel cinematic universe, so rolling out some solo series, and then gathering them into team, and that team even sounds like Avengers? Done. They are the street-level answer to the Avengers. They aren't fighting alien invasions, they are there to save people on the ground level. The Defenders. Sold.

It's a just a bummer that all these will probably get shot in Canada instead of New York, to save money for the effects budget. I know I tend to be the only person that gives a damn about that, but I would trade some effects money for authenticity, especially as these are street level heroes and New York City is often a sort of character in their stories.

Also, stunt coordinators and performers must be psyched-- there is a lot of punching and kicking to be had in that slate of shows.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Marvel's big Netflix deal: the problem with this ever-expanding universe
    Marvel will soon move its 'Defenders' into instantly available episodes online. But the interconnected new narratives may only alienate newcomers and make comics even more exclusive
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    David_D said:

To get back to the idea of naming it Defenders vs. Heroes For Hire, I am good with that.

Let's be honest, Heroes for Hire- while it has history- is a pretty bad name for the crossover that gathers these characters for TV. For a second pretend that it is a name we have never heard before--

It is a mouthful to say, is a little too cute and alliterative when you say it out loud (it sounds like something that should be on Nickelodeon and about spunky child PIs or something); and it puts the focus on the mercenary aspect, which I bet will get played way down. I bet they keep the PI aspect for Jessica Jones, but in the case of Iron Fist and, especially, Luke Cage, the idea of them being superheroes for cash is either something that is placed in the past of the character, or else is quickly gotten away from.

I mean, keeping in mind the context of there still being relatively few superhero shows on TV, in the world of 2014, are you going to have the first (?) superhero show with a black lead be the one where he does it for the money? One of the ONLY ones out there where the hero does it for the money? I think the optics of that would not go well.

Plus, Daredevil doesn't fit on a Heroes For Hire team. That was never his thing.

Whereas Defenders is short and to the point. It sounds like Avengers, which is of course what they want-- this is the TV answer to the Marvel cinematic universe, so rolling out some solo series, and then gathering them into team, and that team even sounds like Avengers? Done. They are the street-level answer to the Avengers. They aren't fighting alien invasions, they are there to save people on the ground level. The Defenders. Sold.

It's a just a bummer that all these will probably get shot in Canada instead of New York, to save money for the effects budget. I know I tend to be the only person that gives a damn about that, but I would trade some effects money for authenticity, especially as these are street level heroes and New York City is often a sort of character in their stories.

Also, stunt coordinators and performers must be psyched-- there is a lot of punching and kicking to be had in that slate of shows.

Good points about the name & idea about the heroics for payment aspect, but can I offer another idea:

I don't think Heroes for Hire is any less wordy then Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, Thor: The Dark World, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, or Guardians of the Galaxy.

Sure the idea of heroes being mercenaries/soldiers of fortune doesn't seem THAT heroic, BUT it would add diversity to the MU. A potential client could question why he/she should pay for something Iron Man or Cap would do for free. Have one of the heroes explain they don't own a billion dollar corporation or get government backing. Even have another character snark "then go get Iron Man or Cap!"

Just because they're accepting payment, there's nothing saying the client is getting fleeced & have to mortgage the house. Plus, the A-Team were soldiers of fortune. Some clients were charity cases, some exchanged goods, some actually paid the $10,000 fee. And they established it in scattered episodes, not every episode. So, much like on the TV series Angel, it's mentioned on occasion without dwelling on the fact there is a bill for services rendered.

I'd rather see the mini-series go with Marvel Knights, if not Heroes for Hire. Like the street level hero based series, they never actually called their team/group an actual name. Plus, Defenders DOES sounds too close to Avengers, which is why I'd be against it. I can see myself talking to people and just calling it Heroes for Hire instead of Defenders because I think its the wrong usage (kind of like how some people view the guy in a red & blue suit in the Man of Steel...YES, I went there! :) )

M