Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Marvel on Netflix- DD, JJ, LC, IF and Defenders (non-spoiler)

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited March 2014
    I'm really getting jazzed about this project. In spite of the smaller than Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. budget, it could still be very strong.

Marvel and Disney are planning to spend $200 million on the "Defenders project" over 60, one-hour episodes, to be filmed over the next three years. Each of the full series will feature a 13-episode season, and all four will then culminate in The Defenders miniseries. Marvel has previously stated that the miniseries would be between four and eight episodes. With the four 13-episode series planning on 52 episodes in total and the deal with New York being for 60 episodes, it looks like Marvel is leaning towards the longer option (although that could always change).

Assuming the budget is spread between the five series equally (although it would make sense to spend a little more on The Defenders miniseries), each episode will feature a budget of roughly $3.3 million. That doesn’t come close to touching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.’s ridiculous budget of $14 million for the pilot alone, but it is in keeping up with several other, high-quality shows.

First in line to head to work in Summer 2014 will be Daredevil, with Drew Goddard – a former writer/producer on the TV shows Alias and Lost and the co-writer/director of The Cabin in the Woods – having been recruited to serve as the head show-runner. Following that, the next project on the agenda should be Jessica Jones, which is being overseen by Melissa Rosenberg – the screenwriter behind the five Twilight movies, as well as a former writer/producer on Dexter and developer on ABC’s mob drama/thriller series Red Widow (among other TV shows). Luke Cage and Iron Fist are currently without show-runners (officially-speaking), but that will change in the foreseeable future.
    Read much more here and here.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    I'll probably end up giving them all a try but I really wish it were a different mix of characters. Like pretty much any characters that have less Bendis on them.
  • Options
    I haven't been keeping up with Marvel's deal with Netflix, so I wasn't aware that the 4 of them would team up together at the end. Suddenly my curiosity is piqued.
  • Options

Suddenly my curiosity is piqued.

And even more so ...

"Terry Crews is "Game" to Play Luke Cage"

http://www.comicvine.com/articles/terry-crews-is-game-to-play-luke-cage/1100-148289/

• Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    I have no problems with any Bendis influence on these series, but I'm not really expecting it. I suspect they'll have their own continuity and interior logic, and will likely draw from a lot of different influences from the books. I'm actually hoping for more of a Mark Waid influence on DD, but if they somehow decide to go more with a Bendis feel, well, I'm okay with that.
  • Options

I have no problems with any Bendis influence on these series, but I'm not really expecting it. I suspect they'll have their own continuity and interior logic, and will likely draw from a lot of different influences from the books. I'm actually hoping for more of a Mark Waid influence on DD, but if they somehow decide to go more with a Bendis feel, well, I'm okay with that.

Look at the list of characters - everyone of them has seen a resurgence due to Bendis. Even so, if that's how they're going to further build the film universe, so be it. I know that I'm in the minority on this, but I'm not a fan of his character choices and really dislike the way he writes dialog. That said, so long as the script writers don't try to translate him directly, that may have little play, other than the character choices, on how the series turn out - thus my willingness to wait and see.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited March 2014
    They could just reuse the costume from the movie...
    :-?
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    hauberk said:

Look at the list of characters - everyone of them has seen a resurgence due to Bendis.

The hell?

Damn that Bendis guy! How dare he resurge perfectly-good, previously-neglected characters? Or hell, even create a new one? Stupid, talented jerk.

B-)
  • Options
    edited March 2014
  • Options
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

Look at the list of characters - everyone of them has seen a resurgence due to Bendis.

The hell?

Damn that Bendis guy! How dare he resurge perfectly-good, previously-neglected characters? Or hell, even create a new one? Stupid, talented jerk.

B-)
    I'm not saying that there's not something to be said for resurging characters just that they're not the characters that I want to see brought to front and center - especially in an Avengers book and I don't like Bendis dialog. If it weren't this combination of characters all being brought together at the same time, I might thing something else. Together, they smell of Bendis and that leaves me with a sense of trepidation. It won't keep me from giving them all a try, but if it turns out to be accurate, it may result in me having more time available for other things in my viewing schedule.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

WetRats said:

hauberk said:

The hell?

B-)
    I'm not saying that there's not something to be said for resurging characters just that they're not the characters that I want to see brought to front and center - especially in an Avengers book and I don't like Bendis dialog. If it weren't this combination of characters all being brought together at the same time, I might thing something else. Together, they smell of Bendis and that leaves me with a sense of trepidation. It won't keep me from giving them all a try, but if it turns out to be accurate, it may result in me having more time available for other things in my viewing schedule.
    I would be astonished if these series didn't have Bendis-spoor all over them

And well they should!

Bendis brought two of these characters back from obscurity, created the third, and dragged the fourth out of a period of stagnation.

None of these characters would be getting TV series were it not for the work Bendis has done with them.
  • Options
    Would love to see a few guest appearances from other "street level heroes" in these episodes - such as Shang-Chi, Punisher, Moon Knight, Black Panther, Elecktra, Silver Sable, Black Cat... etc

Even a Hawkeye or Black Widow cameo would be cool.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    WetRats said:

And well they should!

Bendis brought two of these characters back from obscurity, created the third, and dragged the fourth out of a period of stagnation.

None of these characters would be getting TV series were it not for the work Bendis has done with them.

Truth.
  • Options

Would love to see a few guest appearances from other "street level heroes" in these episodes - such as Shang-Chi, Punisher, Moon Knight, Black Panther, Elecktra, Silver Sable, Black Cat... etc

I imagine crossovers of the four heroes and their assorted villains will take place. (Kingpin can put the "big" in The Big Bad, please.)

Shang-Chi is possible, but unlikely, as conceptually he'd step on Iron Fist's toes (heh).

Punisher, Moon Knight and Black Panther are highly unlikely, as they're more likely to be developed separately.

Elektra in some form is a nigh-certainty.

Silver Sable might work, especially as a nemesis.

Black Cat is most likely tied to the Spider-Man franchise, and thus unavailable.
  • Options
    Oh.

Hawkeye & Black Widow would blow the show's budget.

Cameos from an agent or two of SHIELD could be fun, though.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Pardon my ignorance here, but who is who in the above statement?

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    WetRats said:

Oh.

Hawkeye & Black Widow would blow the show's budget.

Cameos from an agent or two of SHIELD could be fun, though.

I would give Bendis $100.00 to kill off Hawkeye again. Yeah I said it.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I imagine crossovers of the four heroes and their assorted villains will take place. (Kingpin can put the "big" in The Big Bad, please.)

Shang-Chi is possible, but unlikely, as conceptually he'd step on Iron Fist's toes (heh).

Punisher, Moon Knight and Black Panther are highly unlikely, as they're more likely to be developed separately.

Elektra in some form is a nigh-certainty.

Silver Sable might work, especially as a nemesis.

Black Cat is most likely tied to the Spider-Man franchise, and thus unavailable.
    You're probably 100% correct, although I reiterate that I would still love to see them appear :)
  • Options
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

WetRats said:

hauberk said:

The hell?

B-)

And well they should!

There's no denying any of that. They're just not the characters that I would have chosen to bring out of obscurity/stagnation. Ultimately, as I've said in other places, the presence of Bendis on a book has been the deciding factor on whether or not I buy the book and typically, it results in either a little more cash in my wallet or some other publisher getting my dollars. I'm more than happy to see characters brought back from obscurity, I can just think of other characters that I would have preferred or, better still a broader range of characters so that the Bendis spoor is less concentrated - Daredevil or Luke Cage and Iron Fist would be fine, but taken together and with Jessica Jones, it feels like too much. Give me one of them, Moon Knight, Black Panther and some other street level characters - I would love to see someone (not Bendis) try to do something with Silver Sable, for instance.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    edited March 2014

WetRats said:

"Bendis brought two of these characters back from obscurity (Luke Cage & Iron Fist), created the third (Jessica Jones), and dragged the fourth out of a period of stagnation (Daredevil)."

I think this is what it is.
  • Options
    Ah, gotcha. Thanks!
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

WetRats said:

"Bendis brought two of these characters back from obscurity (Luke Cage & Iron Fist), created the third (Jessica Jones), and dragged the fourth out of a period of stagnation (Daredevil)."

I think this is what it is.
    You think correctly.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited March 2014
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Give me one of them, Moon Knight, Black Panther and some other street level characters

How is Black Panther a street-level character? He's a sovereign king!
  • Options
    WetRats said:

hauberk said:

Give me one of them, Moon Knight, Black Panther and some other street level characters

He's a gadget hero. Basically, street level the way that Batman is street level.
  • Options
    This sounds much more like Heroes for Hire than the Defenders. The Defenders I read in the 70's would require an Avengers size budget. As long as the content is good the title doesn't matter that much.
  • Options
    Black Panther has had street cred for decades man. See Icons of the American Comic Book: From Captain America to Wonder Woman, Volume 1

And although Comic Vine has him listed on the Marvel and DC Street Level Characters list, they do say he's "probably a bit above street-level, but not by a lot. I think he fits." At least it's a subjective inclusion :)
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    hauberk said:

WetRats said:

hauberk said:

He's a gadget hero. Basically, street level the way that Batman is street level.
    That sounds like some type of "-ist." The FF uses gadgets.

And I've always included Spider-man more street level. To me, 'street level' heroes are the ones handling routine patrols & stopping common crimes, not just super villains.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

hauberk said:

WetRats said:

hauberk said:

And I've always included Spider-man more street level. To me, 'street level' heroes are the ones handling routine patrols & stopping common crimes, not just super villains.

M
    Matt said:

hauberk said:

WetRats said:

hauberk said:

M
    Black Panther did have a run where he was doing the street-level thing though. Took a sabbatical from his kingdom to become a teacher in Harlem.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

Matt said:

hauberk said:

WetRats said:

hauberk said:

M
    Matt said:

hauberk said:

WetRats said:

hauberk said:

M
    Black Panther did have a run where he was doing the street-level thing though. Took a sabbatical from his kingdom to become a teacher in Harlem.
    True. But, as you said, that was a story about him separating from his usual setting. If they wanted to make a series like that, it could work for 'TV' (well, Netflix). But to really do a live action Black Panther series that involves Wakanda, you would probably need a film budget. (Unless you want Wakanda to look like something out of a Stargate TV show).