Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Marvel on Netflix- DD, JJ, LC, IF and Defenders (non-spoiler)

Comments

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

I want a Storm solo series.

That's up to FOX.
  • KrescanKrescan Posts: 623
    Melissa Rosenberg to write the Jessica Jones series, admittedly I am not familiar with the name.

http://www.nerdist.com/2013/11/melissa-rosenberg-may-bring-marvels-jessica-jones-to-netflix/
  • Krescan said:

Melissa Rosenberg to write the Jessica Jones series, admittedly I am not familiar with the name.

http://www.nerdist.com/2013/11/melissa-rosenberg-may-bring-marvels-jessica-jones-to-netflix/

She wrote for dexter, the twilight movies and a failed show from last year "Red Widow". Not the most impressive resume. She was attached as the writer for Alias when they were developing it for ABC and ABC passed. I'm hoping it's because they could not find a way to make it work with the style of he network, but it didn't even get a pilot so...
    Wouldn't think terribly of them if they did something that was aimed a little more at female viewers. Sounds like she might be. And this might be the right one of the series to do that with.

Krescan said:

She wrote for dexter, the twilight movies and a failed show from last year "Red Widow". Not the most impressive resume. She was attached as the writer for Alias when they were developing it for ABC and ABC passed. I'm hoping it's because they could not find a way to make it work with the style of he network, but it didn't even get a pilot so...
    Sounds like a pretty impressive resume to me.

Dexter is very well-written. Twilight is very successful. And most new series fail.

Also sounds like Marvel liked her treatment, despite the network's passing.

• playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited November 2013
    WetRats said:

Krescan said:

Sounds like a pretty impressive resume to me.

Dexter is very well-written. Twilight is very successful. And most new series fail.

Also sounds like Marvel liked her treatment, despite the network's passing.

I would highly dispute the quality of Dexter's writing, and while twilight was successful, the quality of the writing (though from what has been told to me the source material left little to work with) is almost laughable, and has more to do with the ferverent and considerable fanbase of teenage girls. Red Widow was also unwatchable.

That said, you're absolutely right, Marvel seems confident in her take even if ABC didn't and ABC hasn't had a great track record as of late (including the aforementioned Red Widow). I loved the book and I'll watch the show.

But I'm not a fan of Ms Rosenberg's work up til now, and I've seen more than enough to think expect that Jessica Jones is going to change my mind or the minds of others who think that she's not that great a writer.

But I'm not a fan of Ms Rosenberg's work up til now, and I've seen more than enough to think that Jessica Jones is going to change my mind or the minds of others who think that she's not that great a writer.

I am not following this sentence.
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    WetRats said:

But I'm not a fan of Ms Rosenberg's work up til now, and I've seen more than enough to think that Jessica Jones is going to change my mind or the minds of others who think that she's not that great a writer.

I think there is a missing "not" in this sentence: .., Jessic Jones Is not going to change...
    random73 said:

WetRats said:

I think there is a missing "not" in this sentence: .., Jessic Jones Is not going to change...
    Ah, the old Triple Negative!
    random73 said:

WetRats said:

The syntax got tied up in nots.
    I will contend that there is a substantial difference between writing things you don't like and not writing well.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:

I will contend that there is a substantial difference between writing things you don't like and not writing well.

I agree, I write about things I like all the time & I no write good!

M
    WetRats said:

Too true. I don't care the band Rush. I'm never going to argue they aren't talented cats. I just don't dig their stuff.
    WetRats said:

No LOLs for that?

Tough room!
  • WetRats said:

random73 said:

WetRats said:

Such a clever lad.

WetRats said:

random73 said:

WetRats said:

Such a clever lad.
    Thanks. I'm here all week.

Try the veal.
  • WetRats said:

I didn't like them because I didn't think they were written well. It's been my chief complaint about her work. The subjects clearly had some appeal to me.

WetRats said:

I didn't like them because I didn't think they were written well. It's been my chief complaint about her work. The subjects clearly had some appeal to me.
    Twilight interested you?

You're brave to say so in this environment!

I thought she did an amazing job with Birds of Prey considering all the limitations she was saddled with.

Speaking of saddles, I thought The Magnificent Seven was a lot of fun, with good stories and well-drawn characters.
    WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Twilight interested you?

I thought she did an amazing job with Birds of Prey considering all the limitations she was saddled with.

Speaking of saddles, I thought The Magnificent Seven was a lot of fun, with good stories and well-drawn characters.
    I'd rather slam my head in between a sliding door then watch or read Twilight!

M
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Twilight interested you?

M

I listened to the first one on the "it's actually pretty good" recommendation of a friend of mine with similar interests. I kept going on to listen to the next one on his "the second one is actually a lot better" recommendation. I don't take any more recommendations from him now.

And I've watched some of the movies with my wife, they are just as good as the books are.....
  • WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Twilight interested you?

Ha! Twilight was my wife's pick and her happiness interests me. I was more referring to her other projects. And I forgot about BoP, which I feel only adds to the strikes against her.
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Twilight interested you?

M
    See?

WetRats said:

WetRats said:

Twilight interested you?

Ha! Twilight was my wife's pick and her happiness interests me. I was more referring to her other projects. And I forgot about BoP, which I feel only adds to the strikes against her.
    Since my wife made me see Freedom Writers, I told her I can't go to any movie I find mindnumbingly bad. If she wants to rent the DVD, I can at least read while I sit next to her watching the movie.

M
    It's my understanding that the Twilight readers were pleased with the Twilight movies.

That implies the screenwriter did a good job adapting the one form to another.

The fact that she was re-hired to adapt all of those big money, high-profile films also implies that she did a good job.
  • playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited November 2013
    WetRats said:

It's my understanding that the Twilight readers were pleased with the Twilight movies.

That implies the screenwriter did a good job adapting the one form to another.

The fact that she was re-hired to adapt all of those big money, high-profile films also implies that she did a good job.

She has been successful, but that has never been the hallmark of quality. When all is said and done, I think that she is a bad writer and her inclusion on Jessica Jones worries me and lessens my excitement for the project. Her writing is completely devoid of subtlety, and is broad and cliched. And worst of all, its boring.

There are writers who's projects generally don't interest me but I at least can recognize their talent, like Joss Whedon or Shawn Ryan. And there are writers like Ryan Murphy, who are terrible for all the same reasons I think Melissa Rosenberg is terrible, but who make up for it by never being boring.
  • LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I read the first 6 issues of Alias in one sitting last night (I'd only ever read the first issue before!) and the entire time I was thinking that Tatiana Maslany from Orphan Black (and, lately, Parks and Recreation) would be the perfect Jessica Jones.
  • I read the first 6 issues of Alias in one sitting last night (I'd only ever read the first issue before!) and the entire time I was thinking that Tatiana Maslany from Orphan Black (and, lately, Parks and Recreation) would be the perfect Jessica Jones.

Totally didn't realize that was her in Parks and Rec! Not sure I agree though, I always felt like Jessica Jones has to be played by someone who is a convincing wreck, even when they clean up nice. Linda Hamilton would have been perfect 25 years ago. But they'll probably go with someone like Evangeline Lilly.
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    This sounds pretty cool. I don't do NetFlix but I am hoping they will be available on DVD once they air. I like this.
    Greg said:
    I think that is a win all day long.