Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Geoff Johns & John Romita Jr To Take Over Superman?

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

Heads do come in that shape. The nose may be down to a rushed inking job—I'd have to see a higher res image to get a better idea. As for his expression, if you're seeing more than a simple friendly smile, I think it may be because of that gleam in his eye, which is down to the colorist.

In regards to the cape, I think that's Janson following the lines instead of interpreting the lines. In the old days, he wouldn't have inked it that way. The blacks would have been bolder and simpler.

I'm reasonably certain that JRJR has a long and storied career of rendering botched nose jobs. It may be that that's something that can consistently put down to Janson but it was pretty consistent in his late 80's-mid 90's work on Iron Man, Daredevil, X-Men, Punisher War Zone. I can't speak for his newer work I couldn't get past the hands on his Avengers work. God just the memory of those braunschweiger-sized digits makes me shudder.
  • Options
    rebis said:

I know I'm the only one, but I really liked the jeans and t-shirt look from Action Comics. I wish DC would have stayed with that look a little longer.

I haven't liked the new costume at all, but, yeah, I did like the jeans and t-shirt combo, which kind of surprises me. Something about it seemed somehow more -- I dunno, earnest? Genuine to the character, somehow?
  • Options
    Well, he always drew Punisher with a broken nose intentionally. That's just the way he saw the character.
  • Options
    kgforce said:

I think JRJ must be on a covert mission from Marvel to ruin Superman with this dreadful artwork.

I have no problem with the artwork at all -- I love JR JR's work. It's the costume I find dreadful.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

rebis said:

I know I'm the only one, but I really liked the jeans and t-shirt look from Action Comics. I wish DC would have stayed with that look a little longer.

I haven't liked the new costume at all, but, yeah, I did like the jeans and t-shirt combo, which kind of surprises me. Something about it seemed somehow more -- I dunno, earnest? Genuine to the character, somehow?
    That, is a great description!
    There was a truck advert from a couple of years ago. Paul Harvey did the narration. I thought it was a perfect description of Superman.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    I can live with the reworked costume. It doesn't look as clunky, and the fact that it looks cloth instead of armored cuts down on the extraneous lines. There still are extraneous lines, of course, what with the piping and the priest collar - are these demanded by some sort of Jim Lee editorial fiat? - but still, it's less busy and easier to portray consistently, I think. I still don't love it, but it's an improvement.
  • Options
    Super Sayian Clark
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    Superman 32-39 provided a slightly barely above average story from Geoff Johns. I had more hopeful expectations from Johns but these issues felt as like a wham, bam, thank you for the paycheck w/out his best effort to make a good story, better in years passed. As for John Romita, Jr. art, it had a few pages of quality art & then taking a page from Johns doing less than expected quality work. I was very disappointed in Romita's art overall. The only upside was the story by Romita (or DC editorial) in issue 40 by changing the Superman dynamic w/ the remaining pages of this story arc. I give this Ulysses' focused arc a 2.7 stars out of 5 stars rating of very mildly entertaining.

Matthew