Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Geoff Johns & John Romita Jr To Take Over Superman?

Comments

• Options
    You know, I can remember a Superman Annual back in the 60's that had a list of various vision powers Superman had, including radar-vision, infra-red vision, and super-vision. Infra-red was likely a tweaking of the heat vision to let him see heat patterns, and I recall that super-vision was a combination of x-ray and telescopic vision. I don't remember the rest of the list.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    So are we to believe that there hasn't been a new power in 65 years?! No super-breath, no super-ventriloquism, super-hearing, genius-level intelligence, super-hypnotism, healing factor, tactile telekinesis (which was the was the only power Kon-El was able to duplicate), etc. Besides, I thought the New 52 stuff was just within the last few years of DC history... what are these ancient dates?!

Now I'm confused, but I'm used to it.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    edited February 2015
    There is a lot of truth in that statement WR. I just think when writers are consistently good for long periods of time it becomes much easier
    WetRats said:

Super Bad Hair.

Don't hate. I know your " super" jealous
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    mwhitt80 said:

There is a lot of truth in that statement WR. I just think when writers are consistently good for long periods of time it becomes much easier

WetRats said:

Super Bad Hair.

Don't hate. I know your " super" jealous
    I'll admit I often dream of having hair.

But when I do, it's always well-kempt.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    I need a +1 for you wetrats
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    so basically the new power is just an excuse to power down superman and make him human for a 24 hour period... so they can write stories about a vulnerable superman...

kind of lame
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

so basically the new power is just an excuse to power down superman and make him human for a 24 hour period... so they can write stories about a vulnerable superman...

kind of lame

Yep.

When a writer complains about how hard it is to write Superman because he's so powerful, I always think of the adage "It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools."
  • Options
    WetRats said:

bamfbamf said:

kind of lame

Yep.

When a writer complains about how hard it is to write Superman because he's so powerful, I always think of the adage "It's a poor craftsman who blames his tools."
    Well, Romita Jr has never written a comic before (that I'm aware of). Perhaps he feels like he needs a crutch like this and DC is willing to give JRjr free reign.

• Options
    edited February 2015

WetRats said:

bamfbamf said:

kind of lame

Yep.

Well, Romita Jr has never written a comic before (that I'm aware of). Perhaps he feels like he needs a crutch like this and DC is willing to give JRjr free reign.
    I wasn't referring to JRJR, just the old saw that Superman is too hard to write because he's too powerful, and the tendency of writers to diminish the character rather than rise to the challenge.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    kgforce said:

I will probably read it in TPB. Saw this graphic today and it made me think... "What about super-cold breath?" I never saw that power in any comics that I read as a kid back in the 70's. Until the first Superman movie. I've seen it in the comics since then.

Super-Flare? Um. No.

Super-Flare? Was this power created by JJ Abrams?
  • Options
    If he's gonna wear Super-Flares, why tuck them into his boots?
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    The "new" outfit
    I don't see a whole lot of difference.
    What's up with pulling the sleeves down over his hands like some kind of emo-teen girl?
  • Options
    rebis said:

The "new" outfit

Ew.
  • Options
    Is it just me, or is JR Jr. giving us a little Neal Adams with the anatomy?
  • Options
    Looks like he's wearing Super-Depends under his costume.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    I think JRJ must be on a covert mission from Marvel to ruin Superman with this dreadful artwork.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    kgforce said:

I think JRJ must be on a covert mission from Marvel to ruin Superman with this dreadful artwork.

It's certainly improved the visual quality of Marvel's offerings.

• Options
    I don't know. Maybe it's just me.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

It also looks like he could scratch his knees without bending.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Honestly, it looks like it was originally drawn with the red undies, and was nixed.
  • Options

WetRats said:

Honestly, it looks like it was originally drawn with the red undies, and was nixed.
    It could be that the suit has some special reinforcement build into that area. I'm sure that Jimmy is thankful for that, considering the look he's getting from Superman.
  • Options
    Why do JR Jr. characters look like they cut their hair with hedge clippers?
  • Options
    rebis said:

Why do JR Jr. characters look like they cut their hair with hedge clippers?

For the same reason that it looks like they keep their clothes wadded up in a ball under the spare tire.
  • Options
    rebis said:

WetRats said:

It could be that the suit has some special reinforcement build into that area. I'm sure that Jimmy is thankful for that, considering the look he's getting from Superman.
    I agree that it appears the “new” suit was drawn with the undies or something along those lines, and it was changed in the coloring stage. If it was just the standard cloth undies JR drew, he would have drawn folds there as well, not left a large blank area. It looks like that area was either erased for some reason—say, maybe JR drew Supes’ bulge too prominently—or what was originally there was smooth armor. The way it’s inked, it looks like there was supposed to be something with a bit of thickness there, which the colorist’s shading is indicating as well.

Whatever it was, I guess they didn't have time to send the pages back to Janson for retouching, which is a shame.

• Options
    edited February 2015
    The heavy line work not the cape looks amateurish.

The anatomy looks uneven and odd.

Not to mention that Superman's face looks downright goofy.

Everything is terrible.
  • Options

The heavy line work not the cape looks amateurish.

The anatomy looks uneven and odd.

Not to mention that Superman's face looks downright goofy.

Everything is terrible.

I don't have a problem with the face other than the inking making it look like he's got an eight o’clock shadow.
  • Options
    It looks misshapen and fuzzy with a botched nose job, a dovish expression, and his eyes look like he has a crush on Jim.

My bigger problem though is the cape. The rendering and heavy handed line work is too much.
  • Options
    Heads do come in that shape. The nose may be down to a rushed inking job—I'd have to see a higher res image to get a better idea. As for his expression, if you're seeing more than a simple friendly smile, I think it may be because of that gleam in his eye, which is down to the colorist.

In regards to the cape, I think that's Janson following the lines instead of interpreting the lines. In the old days, he wouldn't have inked it that way. The blacks would have been bolder and simpler.
  • Options
    BrackBrack Posts: 868
    I can't help think that Romita originally drew that costume with the red trunks on and then they removed them in colouring. It's like there's a phantom pair of trunks that he's wearing in that picture. Switch the belt to yellow and add the trunks, and suddenly it's a lot closer to being Superman again.

Also, like Howard Chaykin, bog-standard modern colouring techniques do not help Romita's art.