Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Flash

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    If I was going to watch either show, I think I'd watch Flash. I'd prefer Wally since Barry & Bart already had they live-action debut...and the CW would never do a Jay version. Even IF they kept him older, they'd completely change the outfit.

M
  • Options
    After seeing her in GI Joe: Retaliation, I would be up for Adrianne Palicki as Wonder Woman. Either on the small screen:

http://youtu.be/kVRptUJocAo

Or big screen:

http://youtu.be/EwUs3g2GHIs

Both with heavy retooling...and not 'borrowed' footage.

M
  • Options
    Anybody curious should go watch that WonderWoman pilot. There is something special in how deeply horrible it was.
  • Options
    Matt said:

If I was going to watch either show, I think I'd watch Flash. I'd prefer Wally since Barry & Bart already had they live-action debut...and the CW would never do a Jay version. Even IF they kept him older, they'd completely change the outfit.

M

Unlikely that Wally or Jay will ever become the Flash in live-action (unless the actor playing Barry were to quit or die and the show was too big a hit to let go), because DC Entertainment at large seems to be focused on only giving exposure to their most iconic versions of characters.
  • Options

Matt said:

M

Unlikely that Wally or Jay will ever become the Flash in live-action (unless the actor playing Barry were to quit or die and the show was too big a hit to let go), because DC Entertainment at large seems to be focused on only giving exposure to their most iconic versions of characters.
    Or current. I'd argue Wally is more iconic then Barry at this point. Aside from his death, Barry was pretty boring. There was a lot more done with Wally.

M
  • Options
    I think that Wally is better developed and probably more well liked among comic fans, but as far iconic is concerned, its Barry that has the origin, the original costume, and the supporting cast that people who don't read comics have a basic understanding of. When you come down to the most basic elements of what the general audience thinks of when they think of the Flash, Barry fits that better than Wally. I think that's one major reason he was brought back in the comics along with the New 52. With new readers the simpler the back story the "better".
    Whether DC has been successful at this is something different.
  • Options

I think that Wally is better developed and probably more well liked among comic fans, but as far iconic is concerned, its Barry that has the origin, the original costume, and the supporting cast that people who don't read comics have a basic understanding of. When you come down to the most basic elements of what the general audience thinks of when they think of the Flash, Barry fits that better than Wally. I think that's one major reason he was brought back in the comics along with the New 52. With new readers the simpler the back story the "better".

Actually, I think the non-comic book reader just sees the costume & powers. Barry, Wally, or Bart doesn't mean anything to them. Since Wally's origin is essentially the same as Barry's, it would be too hard to streamline it.

Barry was brought back because they realized the best thing about him was that he was dead. They needed to pump up the character to live up to the hype he's gotten over the years. Plus, show there is only one unreversible death: Ted Kord.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Actually, I think the non-comic book reader just sees the costume & powers. Barry, Wally, or Bart doesn't mean anything to them. Since Wally's origin is essentially the same as Barry's, it would be too hard to streamline it.

Barry was brought back because they realized the best thing about him was that he was dead. They needed to pump up the character to live up to the hype he's gotten over the years. Plus, show there is only one unreversible death: Ted Kord.

M
    See, I feel like what made Wally so great was that he was a legacy character that stepped out of the shadow of his predecessor to become so much more. But if you remove the fact that he was a legacy character, isn't he just Barry with a different name? Does it even matter what you call him? Because if that were the case, as easy as it would be to streamline Wally's origin, it would be just as easy to add the things people love about Wally's character to Barry for television, turn the tv version into an amalgamation of all the Flashes' best attributes, which, I'm sure, is something they will try to do, along with giving him great abs and a lot of workout scenes.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited February 2014
  • Options
    electric_mayhemelectric_mayhem Posts: 641
    edited February 2014
    David_D said:

Amalgamated!

thanks, @David_D

I did do a search for this topic, maybe I didn't look far enough or it didn't work at that moment. Thanks for keeping the forums nice and tidy!

• Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    random73 said:

vibe? didn't see that coming

• Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    Wait, Iris is black?
  • Options
    JaxUrJaxUr Posts: 547
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
  • Options
    I'll never understand the thought process of the chin guard. Does DC expect a lot of uppercuts?

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

I'll never understand the thought process of the chin guard. Does DC expect a lot of uppercuts?

M

Maybe it helps the mask stay put when he speaks?
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Matt said:

M

It protects the sensitive skin on his chin from windburn and keeps the cowl from billowing out and making it look like he's got a really fat neck.
  • Options
    PeterPeter Posts: 470
    If my archenemies were trying to trip me all the time, I'd wear one too. :p
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

Maybe if its 2 separate pieces, but if its 1 piece, the movement of the jaw would effect the mask.

I recall the Bat-cowl, Flash cowl of the 90s TV series, Cap's cowl, & DD's cowl staying in place without the chin strap.
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

Maybe if its 2 separate pieces, but if its 1 piece, the movement of the jaw would effect the mask.

I recall the Bat-cowl, Flash cowl of the 90s TV series, Cap's cowl, & DD's cowl staying in place without the chin strap.
    Maybe he's got a weak chin?
  • Options
    Lightning bolts on the ear caps instead of wings? Ehh...

Well, I can live with that. It's the rest of the costume I'm more worried about.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    you guys are a tough crowd.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    edited February 2014

Well, I can live with that. It's the rest of the costume I'm more worried about.

The wings were lightning bolts and, from a practical standpoint, this makes so much more sense. Best case, those lightning bolts were handles to aid some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac in the banging of his favorite head against the barroom wall while while asking if he had paid his dues.

ETA: Were I to complain about something, it would be the texture of the costume, which is going to generate friction which in turn is going to generate heat and turbulence. However, I'm satisfied to see how the suit looks on screen and in motion.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

The wings were lightning bolts and, from a practical standpoint, this makes so much more sense. Best case, those lightning bolts were handles to aid some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac in the banging of his favorite head against the barroom wall while while asking if he had paid his dues.

ETA: Were I to complain about something, it would be the texture of the costume, which is going to generate friction which in turn is going to generate heat and turbulence. However, I'm satisfied to see how the suit looks on screen and in motion.
    The wings made more sense when it came to legacy, as Jay Garrick also had wings on his helmet... and they're inspired by the winged feet of Mercury, the fleet-footed messenger of the gods. (Which is why both Flashes also had wings on their boots.)

Depending on how closely they'll hew to the comics -- or if the comics even acknowledge this point anymore -- friction was never a concern for Barry, as the accident supercharged his personal electromagnetic aura to the degree that it protected him and anything he carried from friction and windburn. I think during Wally's series they went further to explain that it transformed a lot of that wind resistance into kinetic energy, energizing him further. (This was just before the revelation of the Speed Force.) I don't know if the show will carry this over or not, though.