Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Flash

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

hauberk said:

Lightning bolts on the ear caps instead of wings? Ehh...

Well, I can live with that. It's the rest of the costume I'm more worried about.

The wings were lightning bolts and, from a practical standpoint, this makes so much more sense. Best case, those lightning bolts were handles to aid some wild-eyed, eight-foot-tall maniac in the banging of his favorite head against the barroom wall while while asking if he had paid his dues.

ETA: Were I to complain about something, it would be the texture of the costume, which is going to generate friction which in turn is going to generate heat and turbulence. However, I'm satisfied to see how the suit looks on screen and in motion.
    The wings made more sense when it came to legacy, as Jay Garrick also had wings on his helmet... and they're inspired by the winged feet of Mercury, the fleet-footed messenger of the gods. (Which is why both Flashes also had wings on their boots.)

Depending on how closely they'll hew to the comics -- or if the comics even acknowledge this point anymore -- friction was never a concern for Barry, as the accident supercharged his personal electromagnetic aura to the degree that it protected him and anything he carried from friction and windburn. I think during Wally's series they went further to explain that it transformed a lot of that wind resistance into kinetic energy, energizing him further. (This was just before the revelation of the Speed Force.) I don't know if the show will carry this over or not, though.
    I suppose that I can see the legacy link to Jay Garrick in the comics but there is no such legacy on TV. Barry is the first and only Flash. Even in the comics, that was really more of a viewer visual cue to link them since they were only a publication legacy.

I understand the whole thing about the aura. It was used to great effect in Holy Terror as I recall. Regardless, my texture comment was intended as pure snark.

This isn't the comics. It's inspired by them, but last I checked, Black Canary wasn't [Dinah] Laurel's sister, Felicity Smoake was a Firestorm supporting character, Shado didn't die before becoming Ollie's baby mama and Deathstroke doesn't have anything to do with Green Arrow's origin. Arrow has been incredibly entertaining and, based on the level of entertainment that I've received from it, I'm not going to worry about whether or not the costume is the right shade of red, the wings/lightning bolts are right to Alex Ross' approved model sheet (I just looked and that's the only readily available illustration that I could find where they looked anything like wings) or he has a special aura. My concerns are whether or not the show is entertaining and does he run really fast.
  • Options
    And even with making tweaks to fit into the world of Arrow, I still want my superheroes to hew as closely to the original source material as possible. Nothing says that the show couldn't still be entertaining under those circumstances.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    hauberk said:

I'm not going to worry about whether or not the costume is the right shade of red, the wings/lightning bolts are right to Alex Ross' approved model sheet (I just looked and that's the only readily available illustration that I could find where they looked anything like wings).

• Options
    Ok - that's pretty wing-y. I did about a page and a half image search and landed mostly on Halloween costumes and pics from Arrow. I'm still ok with it in the same way I'm ok with Cap's helmet in the Avengers movie.

I'm not interested for change for the sake of change, but I'm fine if there is a reason for it.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Like it so far. More so than I ever would've expected to. Of course this is only a part of it.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    edited March 2014
    Costume:

So... what do you all think?
  • Options
    I'm good, but I can hear the complaints coming about the piping on the arms and legs.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

I'm good, but I can hear the complaints coming about the piping on the arms and legs.

Yeah, and I'll be the first one to say it. They tossed out the elegant and simple Silver Age design and went with the over-the-top New52 design. "Hey, he's fast! Let's plaster that outfit with lightning bolts wherever we can so that people will understand that he's fast! Because... he's fast!"

Still, the outfit doesn't look quite as terrible as I feared... maybe it'll look better during the show itself. Maybe.

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    It looks like Daredevil sans horns and with a lightning bolt. Sure, we'll get more pictures and a more full look, but I don't think this is the best picture to show off his costume. :-??
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    I think it looks OK. If it goes to series and lasts a while, I'm sure the costume will get modified every so often. I'm just hoping they add CGI lightning crackles when he runs, and it's not just a 'blur'.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    It's hard to see what's going on with the actor all hunched over. I miss the wings/nacelles over the ears.
  • Options

hauberk said:

Yeah, and I'll be the first one to say it. They tossed out the elegant and simple Silver Age design and went with the over-the-top New52 design. "Hey, he's fast! Let's plaster that outfit with lightning bolts wherever we can so that people will understand that he's fast! Because... he's fast!"

Still, the outfit doesn't look quite as terrible as I feared... maybe it'll look better during the show itself. Maybe.

And right on time.

Here's the thing... the books being printed are from the New52. These are the costumes and there is no reason, especially not because you don't like it, to not tie the series costume into the current costume designs.
  • Options
    rebis said:

It's hard to see what's going on with the actor all hunched over. I miss the wings/nacelles over the ears.

They're there, they're lightning bolts but they're there - you can see the side view in the previous link, but they're visible in this image as well and they have more projection than I would have thought.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

hauberk said:

It'll imply his speed like this series;

http://youtu.be/d5d6BUq6rYI

M
  • Options
    hauberk said:

rebis said:

They're there, they're lightning bolts but they're there - you can see the side view in the previous link, but they're visible in this image as well and they have more projection than I would have thought.
    Nope, not there. I saw the profile image a few days ago. Yes, their are little lightning bolts on the side of his head, but the wings are gone.

I like the wings.

Even New 52 Flash has wings.

• Options
    rebis said:

hauberk said:

rebis said:

Nope, not there. I saw the profile image a few days ago. Yes, their are little lightning bolts on the side of his head, but the wings are gone.

I like the wings.

Even New 52 Flash has wings.

To be fair, wings/nacelles and wings are two different things. The new photo shows something which clearly reads as a wing/nacelle from the front but is a lightning bolt and not a wing-form from the side.

I'll admit that I haven't paid all that much attention as Flash isn't a favorite of mine but then the best super hero costume I've seen pretty much ever was the T Mobile Saturn Girl biker chick.

Ultimately, this is a pretty fair representation of the Flash from my perspective. Certainly closer than the Xmen costumes, for example, were.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Looks pretty good to me. Could do a lot worse probably could t do too much better. Still not a clear enough look to say conclusively. Ill complain about the piping when I can see it better.
  • Options
    JDickJDick Posts: 206
    The costume looks fine. The piping does serve to break up the solid color a bit so I'm fine with it.
  • Options
    The solid color didn't need any more breaking up; the lightning belt and glove bands already do that. The piping is an atrocious touch and is indicative of an artist's tendency to 'noodle' past the point of completion. A lot of the New52 costume redesigns seem to have this unfortunate tendency, eschewing simplicity for the sake of excess. And I don't really care that the show is simply using what's currently being worn in the comics (though I certainly understand why they're doing it): repeating a mistake doesn't make it less of one.
  • Options
    Some more photos:

comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=51410

Huh. They really went out of their way to dull those costume colors. I don't know about this...

One good thing: at least it's not a stiff, muscle suit like Shipp's had been.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Huh. They really went out of their way to dull those costume colors. I don't know about this...

Scarlet Speedster no more.

The Maroon Move-Over-er.

The Burgundy Blow-by.
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327
    Over the many movies and tv shows, costumes have always been tweaked on varying levels. It never bothers me - there are many more factors going on that we aren't aware of. Many costumes were defined by the color limitations in comics of their day. I remember early photos of the Superman Returns costume were also darker in tone - yet on the screen it was fine. No one in their right mind would wear the Silver Age Flash costume today as is - modern costuming and normal sense wouldn't allow it. :))
  • Options
    OK. Not to bad. I don't like the leathery "bib" piece on the chest, the lightning on the crown of the cowl is ugly, and the belt looks like an afterthought. The lightening bolts over the ears could have been exaggerated to give them a more Silver Age look.
    However, It does make me want to see the show. So, it has that going for it.
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    Burgundy Blow By!??!
  • Options
    RepoMan said:

No one in their right mind would wear the Silver Age Flash costume today as is - modern costuming and normal sense wouldn't allow it. :))

Why wouldn't they? That's an argument that doesn't make sense to me. The purpose is to simply have a good, simple running suit, something a runner could get around in. For that, Barry's costume, as originally designed, was perfect. The redesign adds nothing but 'spinach', a lot of extra lines that do nothing for the overall design. And this isn't a 'dark' character who needs subdued tones -- he's a bright, optimistic character, and the colors of his outfit should reflect that.
  • Options

RepoMan said:

No one in their right mind would wear the Silver Age Flash costume today as is - modern costuming and normal sense wouldn't allow it. :))

Why wouldn't they? That's an argument that doesn't make sense to me. The purpose is to simply have a good, simple running suit, something a runner could get around in. For that, Barry's costume, as originally designed, was perfect. The redesign adds nothing but 'spinach', a lot of extra lines that do nothing for the overall design. And this isn't a 'dark' character who needs subdued tones -- he's a bright, optimistic character, and the colors of his outfit should reflect that.
    How about saturated colors don't actually look good on living, breathing human beings? They don't wear as well? These leathers are easier to polish since oxblood shoe polish is available at Target?

He's what the IP owners and show developers what him to be. Much like the decision to go with a more Longbow Hunters GA - sure we get an occasional trick arrow, but we're (hopefully) never going to get the boxing glove arrow or the Errol Flynn hat.

Seeing the full body pics, I'm still OK with the overall design, but don't care for the fact that the suit seems baggy.
  • Options

RepoMan said:

I am more worried about the stories and the costume isn't going to make or break the show. It looks good. DC is committed to the New 52 designs and I actually like all the piping but that is just me.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

RepoMan said:

How about saturated colors don't actually look good on living, breathing human beings? They don't wear as well? These leathers are easier to polish since oxblood shoe polish is available at Target?

He's what the IP owners and show developers what him to be. Much like the decision to go with a more Longbow Hunters GA - sure we get an occasional trick arrow, but we're (hopefully) never going to get the boxing glove arrow or the Errol Flynn hat.

Seeing the full body pics, I'm still OK with the overall design, but don't care for the fact that the suit seems baggy.
    Yea, bright red just wouldn't work. ;)
  • Options

RepoMan said:

Why doesn't he just wear a track suit. That would be a good, simple running suit.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

That's too bad, really. As much as I enjoy the show as is, I would have preferred the hat and the trick arrows. That's the real Green Arrow.