Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

TV News: Flash

Comments

• Options
    I was just about ready to bail on the 10/11/16 episode when Jay Garrick showed up. His refreshing wake-up call speech to Barry saved this meandering, navel-gazing episode. This show had better start improving.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    edited October 2016
    Yeah I wasn't digging this episode either.

Ihate time travel it's just a lazy way to change things without much explanation needed. I loved a show called Eureka and they did exactly what the Flash has done and I hated that story device then and I still hate it.

Not to mention it make no sense that Barry is even the Flash yet. Eobard didn't stay in the past so he didn't kill Wells and build the Accelerator 10 years earlier then it was supposed to. They gave no explanation to that and I guess where just supposed to accept it?

I'm having frightening memories of Arrow Seasons 1 and 2 being great and then the 3rd Season being bad.

The one hope is that Dr Alchemy is at least not another Speedster. Which is getting to be just as ridiculous as the final moments of Norah Allen's life.
  • Options
    Mihawk said:

The one hope is that Dr Alchemy is at least not a Speedster.

...and yet, according to the previews for next week, here comes ANOTHER SPEEDSTER!!!

As for the just-dispatched Rival, could his costume have been any MORE "Power Rangers Villain"? I tell ya....this show is losing its focus and devolving into a soap opera with barely-convincing CGI effects.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433

Mihawk said:

The one hope is that Dr Alchemy is at least not a Speedster.

...and yet, according to the previews for next week, here comes ANOTHER SPEEDSTER!!!

As for the just-dispatched Rival, could his costume have been any MORE "Power Rangers Villain"? I tell ya....this show is losing its focus and devolving into a soap opera with barely-convincing CGI effects.
    Yeah and we definitely have Kid Flash coming as well. And I'm sure Black Flash will make an appearance at some point to.
  • Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    The first two episodes of this season have not been up to the standards of the first two seasons. I'm not really intrigued in seeing how everyone is different in two different timelines. Look forward to establishing the former or a new status quo and moving on.

And Barry gave Diggle's kid a penis.
  • Options
    Yeah, I wasn't sold on the second episode of the season until near the end either. But seeing Vibe all...Vibed, and using Jay Garrick saved that a bit. Also looking forward to how they use Tom Felton this season, as I've always been a huge fan of him as an actor. And he brings some extra tension to the show.

Meanwhile, the preview for next episode literally made me squee when I saw it, so hopefully it'll get the show back on track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RtdiyFxTQQ
  • Options
    So far I'm not impressed, just a bit bored :disappointed:
  • Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited October 2016
    Despite all the multiple earths and time periods, the show feels bizarrely claustrophobic, basing almost all the action within Central City/Star Labs. They show needs to (literally) expand its horizons and leave the confines of Central City and its all-too-familiar sets and faces.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    edited October 2016
    I watched season one when it first aired..then I ditched cable and had to wait for season 2 to show up on Netflix.

FINALLY!!!

I'm so behind....
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Despite all the multiple earths and time periods, the show feels bizarrely claustrophobic, basing almost all the action within Central City/Star Labs. They show needs to (literally) expand its horizons and leave the confines of Central City and its all-too-familiar sets and faces.

We need the Gorilla City episode to happen this season.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

We need a Gorilla City episode. We need a Superman vs. Flash race. We need an episode (or two or three) where Barry Allen goes on adventures by himself (recalling the classic Silver Age tales where Barry would help out strange alien civilizations or some lost alien in need). We need an episode where Barry discovers new and exciting speed abilities or stunts. We need an episode....well, you get the picture.

The same boring establishing shots of STAR labs, Joe's house, Jitters Coffee, and the police station get increasingly annoying by the episode. Adding more silly high school drama (i.e. Draco Malfoy as Barry's new co-worker) and star-crossed romance (JUST STARTING DATING ALREADY, BARRY AND IRIS!!!!) only makes it MORE boring!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Torchsong said:

We need a Gorilla City episode. We need a Superman vs. Flash race. We need an episode (or two or three) where Barry Allen goes on adventures by himself (recalling the classic Silver Age tales where Barry would help out strange alien civilizations or some lost alien in need). We need an episode where Barry discovers new and exciting speed abilities or stunts. We need an episode....well, you get the picture.

The same boring establishing shots of STAR labs, Joe's house, Jitters Coffee, and the police station get increasingly annoying by the episode. Adding more silly high school drama (i.e. Draco Malfoy as Barry's new co-worker) and star-crossed romance (JUST STARTING DATING ALREADY, BARRY AND IRIS!!!!) only makes it MORE boring!
    Much of what you're complaining about are elements of the very successful CW formula that makes it possible for us to have these shows. They have managed to broaden the appeal of these shows beyond just people like us.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Much of what you're complaining about are elements of the very successful CW formula that makes it possible for us to have these shows. They have managed to broaden the appeal of these shows beyond just people like us.

I agree a certain level of the CW formula needs to be included, but not at the levels they've been using it the latter part of the Season 2 and all of Season 3 so far. Truly great things are a fine balance of many elements working together, but I don't feel that balance with the show anymore. Playing up the relationships at the expense of the adventure elements or the sense of wonder is not a great long-term policy. The Flash is certainly more than jaw-dropping speed powers...but at the same time, the Flash has to be more than a series of interpersonal relationships that need tending week after week.
  • Options

WetRats said:

I agree a certain level of the CW formula needs to be included, but not at the levels they've been using it the latter part of the Season 2 and all of Season 3 so far. Truly great things are a fine balance of many elements working together, but I don't feel that balance with the show anymore. Playing up the relationships at the expense of the adventure elements or the sense of wonder is not a great long-term policy. The Flash is certainly more than jaw-dropping speed powers...but at the same time, the Flash has to be more than a series of interpersonal relationships that need tending week after week.
    In general, I agree with you, but if the soap operatics are the price we much pay to have these shows, and the one or two absolutely glorious moments per episode we get, I'm willing to pay it.

For me, for instance, the entire, mostly-wretched recent season of Arrow was worth it for the line "How did you know that bee's name?"

Across the board on the CW shows, I like the characters, I like the casts, and I tolerate the stories.
  • Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited October 2016
    WetRats said:

In general, I agree with you, but if the soap operatics are the price we much pay to have these shows, and the one or two absolutely glorious moments per episode we get, I'm willing to pay it.

I'd personally like for them to shoot for four or five glorious moments per show. There's not much going on in the "wow" department these days. A zig-zagging bolt of yellow and red just isn't enough for me. Less "Tinkerbell" and more grounded, tactile SPEED involving human bodies....not pinballing Will-O-The-Wisps.

• Options

WetRats said:

I'd personally like for them to shoot for four or five glorious moments per show. There's not much going on in the "wow" department these days. A zig-zagging bolt of yellow and red just isn't enough for me. Less "Tinkerbell" and more grounded, tactile SPEED involving human bodies....not battling Will-O-The-Wisps.
    I don't care about special effects or even superheroics as I do about spending time with characters I enjoy and admire.

I don't need to be dazzled. I fact, I have become pretty hard to dazzle.

Then again, I always a sucker for Tinkerbell.

• Options
    WetRats said:

I don't care about special effects or even superheroics as I do about spending time with characters I enjoy and admire.

I guess I'm one of that crazy minority that believes we can have both. I don't see it is an either-or proposition.

• Options

WetRats said:

I guess I'm one of that crazy minority that believes we can have both. I don't see it is an either-or proposition.
    Oh, I enjoy them, too. But I don't expect tons of them on the budget of a second-tier TV network budget.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Oh, I enjoy them, too. But I don't expect tons of them on the budget of a second-tier TV network budget.

I never said I wanted "tons" more. Just a few more...and better conceived/executed special effects sequences. It's all feeling very lazy and underwhelming.
  • Options
    I think we're going to see more character development...just not out of Barry. One of the upcoming episodes is called "Killer Frost" and this universe's Caitlin has begun to exhibit cold-based powers. Bring that on, I say. I want to see Cisco develop his Vibe power to the point where he's more on a level with his "evil" counterpart. The return of Wells next week is something else I'm looking forward to.

To me the show works because Barry is the constant...everyone around him has the "more interesting story" and they all kind of circle around him. Barry doesn't need to change...occasionally learn something new and cool to do with the speed, but beyond that, I'm fine with him as the one-trick pony of the show. It's a necessary part of it. What makes the show great is everyone around him, and with all the timey-wimey stuff that's going on this is really their season to shine...IF (and it's a big "IF") they do it right.

Time will tell on that last one.

And I still want a Gorilla City episode. :)
  • Options
    I am wondering why, with all of Flash's mucking about in time, where the heck is Rip Hunter?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I am wondering why, with all of Flash's mucking about in time, where the heck is Rip Hunter?

Appearing in the truly, truly awful "Legends of Tomorrow" shlockfest.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

WetRats said:

I smell another crossover...
  • Options

WetRats said:

:(
  • Options

WetRats said:

I smell another crossover...
    An overdue one.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    They have got to stop with evil super speedsters and going back to the well of Barry's moms death. It's lost nearly every ounce of impact for me at this point.
  • Options
    Was it just me, or did Shippe give Jay Garrick a bit of a New York accent in the 10/11/16 episode? I kinda liked it for some reason.
  • Options

Was it just me, or did Shippe give Jay Garrick a bit of a New York accent in the 10/11/16 episode? I kinda liked it for some reason.

Yep.

He's trying to reinforce that this is not Henry Allen.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

He's trying to reinforce that this is not Henry Allen.

Astonishing any regular viewer would need that cue, but I suppose with all the multiple reality hijinks happening on this series, it's necessary.

I'm hoping Jay Garrick gets a bigger role as time goes on. Joe is a great mentor and father figure, but it's obvious Barry needs some guidance in the realm of speedsters and superhuman responsibility.

But please....speaking of speedsters, they've really gotta stop with new speedsters every other week.

• Options
    edited October 2016

I'm hoping Jay Garrick gets a bigger role as time goes on. Joe is a great mentor and father figure, but it's obvious Barry needs some guidance in the realm of speedsters and superhuman responsibility.

But please....speaking of speedsters, they've really gotta stop with new speedsters every other week.

If you're going to give Barry guidance in the realm of speedsters, you need to make room in the show for the only speedster who can train him. The Zen Master of Speed.

Waid fans know who I'm talkin' about... :)