Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What did you buy today?

Comments

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Swamp thing 17
    Animal man 17
    Detective 17
    Earth 2 9
    Phantom Stranger 5
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    The "Let's all go to the car show" Edition

Star Wars #2
    Batman #17
    Fantastic Four #4
    Bravest Warriors #5
  • Options
    mguy1977mguy1977 Posts: 801
    The "Happy early V-day" Edition

BATMAN #17 (DOTF)
    SUPERBOY #17
    FATALE #12

Matthew
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Garfield #10
    Batman #263 (awesome Riddler story)
    Dennis the Menace in Mexico (old Dennis the Menace travel comics are awesome... I always pick them up when I can find them cheaply enough)
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited February 2013

Dennis the Menace in Mexico (old Dennis the Menace travel comics are awesome... I always pick them up when I can find them cheaply enough)

@LibraryBoy, I've never been a fan of the comic strip, but I agree with you on the comics. I was given one when I was a kid, and I really enjoyed it. I've gotten a couple more over the years. I love the artwork in them—very design-oriented and graphic, with a hint of the sensibilities of the old UPA cartoons.
  • Options
    America's Got Powers #5 - Forgot this series was still going on.
    Batgirl #17
    Batman #17 - Looking forward to see how the "Death of the Family" ends
    Fantastic Four #4
    Fatale #12 - Great series, great team
    The Manhattan Projects #9 - !!!
    Secret Avengers #1
    Walking Dead #107 - After this arc, will need to see if this is going to get cut.

@tankong on twitter
  • Options

@LibraryBoy, I've never been a fan of the comic strip, but I agree with you on the comics. I was given one when I was a kid, and I really enjoyed it. I've gotten a couple more over the years. I love the artwork in them—very design-oriented and graphic, with a hint of the sensibilities of the old UPA cartoons.
    @nweathington, I read the comic strip in my local paper, and I watched reruns of the sitcom on Nickelodeon, but I can't say I was ever a giant fan. But I read something on Fred Hembeck's blog years ago about his appreciation for the comic book version by Fred Toole and Al Wiseman (he was a fan of their Christmas issues in particular) that made me want to check it out. I've read a few issues here and there from throughout that run (and some of the later stuff by, I think, Owen Fitzgerald), and they're good, but I like the travel books above and beyond the rest of it.

The stories are fun with that added dimension of Dennis not understanding the cultural norms of wherever he happens to be, but there's also an interesting mix of the "cartoony" depictions of the characters and the (comparatively) more realistic depictions of the settings and local landmarks. I had come to expect that sort of thing from a Carl Barks Uncle Scrooge adventure, or later Herge work like Tintin in Tibet, but it wasn't at all what I was expecting from, say, Dennis the Menace in Hawaii. I'd love to see this stuff collected some day, but while I wait for that, I'll haunt my LCS' back issue bins.
  • Options

I love the artwork in them—very design-oriented and graphic, with a hint of the sensibilities of the old UPA cartoons.

Wanted to single out this quote because, YEAH, this is it exactly. I've been trying to think of a comparison, and this is it.
  • Options

I love the artwork in them—very design-oriented and graphic, with a hint of the sensibilities of the old UPA cartoons.

Wanted to single out this quote because, YEAH, this is it exactly. I've been trying to think of a comparison, and this is it.
    Well, as it happens, Wiseman and Fitzgerald are favorites with a lot of animators. For instance, Shane Glines—character designer on Batman: The Animated Series, Batman Beyond, etc.—is a huge Fitzgerald fan. Fitzgerald actually came from animation. He worked as a layout artist on several Looney Tunes theatrical shorts in the ’40s and early ’50s, and also for Hanna-Barbera in the ’70s. Wiseman didn’t work in animation, but he was an influence on the Hernandez Brothers among others.
  • Options
    larrylarry Posts: 125
    I got my tax refund so bought myself a little something on Instocktrades.com.

Harbinger Vol 1
    X-O Manowar Vol 1
    Krishna
    Locke & Key HC Vol 1
    Fables Vol 2 and 3
    Battlepug Vol 1
    Batman Dark Knight Returns tpb
    Harvey Horrors Tomb of Terror HC Vol 1
  • Options
    Got my copy of Batman: Night of the Owls HC copy through. Really good looking book. Looking forward to getting through the 300+ page monster. Sure to be a good read.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Justice League 16, justice League Dark 16, and Cyber Force 3......
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Maybe I should buck up and finally get Saga. Everyone raves about it.
  • Options
    The "Okay spring, get a move on!" Edition

Rage of the Dinobots #4
    Revival #7
    Captain Marvel #10
    Deadpool #5
    Adventure Time #13
  • Options
    The "Yo Joe" Edition

ACTION COMICS #17
    FABLES DELUXE EDITION HC VOL 06 (MR)
    SUPERGIRL #17
    SAGA #10 (MR)
    G.I. JOE #1

Matthew
  • Options
    Daredevil #23
    Nova #1
    Captain Marvel #10
    Superman Family Adventures #6 (somehow missed that this had my beloved Supermobile in it when it was originally released!)
  • Options

Nova #1

Looks fun, right? I'm curious to see what they've cooked up for us.
  • Options
    Haha, my buy list is WTF certified this week! Too many good books came out and I am broooooooke! Highlights:

BPRD 1948 05
    Baltimore
    Saga
    Mind MGMT 08
    Revival 07
    Black Beetle 02
    Thor GOT 05
    Conan 13
    Nightwing 17
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Legion of Super Heroes - love that Giffen art, and breathtaking events.
    Sword of Sorcery - still less than perfect and really missing the Beowulf back-up.
  • Options
    JLA 1
    Vibe 1
    Justice League 17
    Sword of Sorcery 5
    (Saga was delayed a week in the UK X( )

Also picked up some trades at the London Super Comic Con...

Watchmen (i know, I know, this should have been in my collection a long time ago!!)
    Ghostbusters vol1
    Batman knightfall vol1

I won't put my single issues from the con on, it'll be way to long.
  • Options
    The "Try a cup o' noodles tody for a complete breakfast" Edition

Joe Kubert Presents #5
    Robots In Disguise #14
    Uncanny Skullkickers #1
    FF #4
    Hawkeye #8
  • Options
    LCS:
    FF #4
    Hawkeye #8
    Batman Incorporated #8
    Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time #2
    Adventure Time Vol. 2 TPB
    Giant-Size Avengers #s 2 & 3

DCBS:
    Superman Vs. Shazam TPB
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    The "Big fat goose egg for comics this week" Edition

Superman #17 is moved to another week so no comics for me.

Matthew
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    via comiXology:

- High Crimes #2 (Sebela/Moustafa, Monkeybrain)
    - Phabula #1 (Dalton Rose, Monkeybrain)
    - Mask of the Red Panda #1 (Taylor/Kotz, Monkeybrain)
    - Sanctuary #5 (Stephen Coughlin, SLG)
    - Sanctuary #6 (Stephen Coughlin, SLG)
    - Hoodlum #1 (Goldstein/Toledo, Alterna Comics)
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Hawkeye #8
    Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time #2 (I loved this so much)
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

Doctor Who: Prisoners of Time #2 (I loved this so much)

Yeah, that was fun. They did a really good job capturing the Troughton/Jamie/Zoe dynamic. And so many Easter eggs hidden in the backgrounds! That'd make for a great footnotes podcast.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    @LibraryBoy Oh my lord, there was so much. Off the top of my head, my eyes went right to the fez that was in the hat store. Very awesome stuff. The voices though. These writers get the voices of the characters so well. This comic was pure gold to me.
  • Options
    Doctor Who: P.O.T 2
    Talon 5
    Prophet 34
    Court of Owls vol 2 (nearly triple the size of the 1st volume?!? I am excited to sit down and read them both together in one marathon of kickassery).

I also picked up the point one of Guardians of the Galaxy, Young Avengers, and Uncanny X-Force digitally and they were awesome! GotG is going to be such a clutch book if the whole series is written as strongly as this introduction!
  • Options
    Recently I've been bit by the new Image titles. I can blame Comic Geek Speak for it. I heard about Revelation and Saga when they came out on Previews episodes. I tried them, liked them and put them on my pull list. Then I started hearing other new Image titles were good, so I started sampling. I ended up with Great Pacific and Thief Of Thieves on my hold list after sampling and started sampling some more. Friday I bought Black Acre 1, Nowhere Men 2 & 3, Clone 3 (I had 1 & 2 from previous sampling), and Bedlam 1. The only one I didn't like was Bedlam-- way too dark and the opening scene was way too close to what happened in Newtown for me right now, being in CT. The others are going on my pull list and knocking out some DC titles. Just for reference, I was traditionally a Marvel guy since the 70's, dumped Marvel titles for DC titles with the New 52 (at the time I was down to 3 DC titles). Now nearly half my buying will be Image books. Who knew?
  • Options
    The "question from 1980 revisited "Who killed J. R. Ewing?" Dallas TNT reboot" Edition

DETECTIVE COMICS #18
    SUPERMAN #17

Matthew