Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

What did you buy today?

1373839404143»

Comments

• Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    Two books arrived from Amazon that I'm looking forward to digging in to:
    Nimona (Noelle Stevenson - Lumberjanes)
    Nnewts Book 2 (Doug TenNapel - Earthworm Jim, Ghostopolis, Cardboard)
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    This heavy tomb arrived from Amazon today. I actually bought it back in September 2015.

This massive volume collects material from or in whole of the following:
    Batman #200, 203, 210, 217, 220-222, 224-227, 229-232, 234-241, 243-246, 251, 255, The Brave and The Bold #75-76, 79-86, 88-90, 93, 95, 99, Detective Comics #370, 372, 385, 389, 391, 392, 394-403, 405-422, 439, 600, World’s Finest Comics #174-176, 178-180, 182-183, 185, 186, 199, 200, 202, 211, 244-246, 258, Batman Annual #14, Batman Black & White #4, Heroes Against Hunger; Limited Collectors Edition C-25, C-51, C-59, Robin #1, Saga of Ra’s Al Ghul #4, and Batman: Odyssey Vol. 1 issues #1-6 as well as Batman: Odyssey Vol. 2 issues #1-7
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Son of a Monkey Whore.

I've had mine on preorder with Amazon forever and they've not sent me any information.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Please tell me that they didn't let Neal recolor everything. I had the first two Batman Illustrated by Neal Adams hardcovers, but ended up giving them to my brother because the recoloring was so awful.
  • Options

Please tell me that they didn't let Neal recolor everything. I had the first two Batman Illustrated by Neal Adams hardcovers, but ended up giving them to my brother because the recoloring was so awful.

Wow! This may be why I've never seen Neal and George Lucas together in the same room before!

Seriously, it's a solid book with a sewn binding that affords zero gutter loss. The pages are thick and matte finish in order to make the colors pop but not so glossy that it is reflective and is hard to read in direct light. The entire book (except the black & white stories) have been recolored by Neal Adams. I know there are some very vocal critics who are turned off by it, but I am not put off by it enough to want to give it away.

Here's an example, side by side comparison with the original coloring on the left and the new coloring on the right.

I think it's more about your relative taste. I think it's just fine and there's no way I am going to be able to get all of these stories in their original form in pristine back issues. However, I still anticipate this being a great read.

Neal Adams is quotes as saying that this recoloring work was
    "done for the fans that would appreciate it and who are not interested in showing their grandchildren what comic books look like back in the olden days. They were re-worked because they look like the way they would have looked had my work been carried through at the time, and the technology of comics was better. I have a great deal of trouble living in the past. I would prefer that people see what I consider good, while I am assured that all that old thirty two color, poorly lettered, poorly separated, poorly printed work on paper that was one grade above toilet paper can be found on ebay. In succeeding reprints of my work over the last twenty years, they have been printed on better and better paper, they have been retouched by production people, they have been re-colored without my approval and all this does is succeed in making the work look ancient and old-fashioned.

For those of you who don’t appreciate my efforts as always, I’m sorry. For those of you who appreciate my efforts, I thank you."
    I will let you know if I am eventually put off by the recoloring, or if I am able to stomach it enough to enjoy some classic tales.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited March 2016

Wow! This may be why I've never seen Neal and George Lucas together in the same room before!

Seriously, it's a solid book with a sewn binding that affords zero gutter loss. The pages are thick and matte finish in order to make the colors pop but not so glossy that it is reflective and is hard to read in direct light. The entire book (except the black & white stories) have been recolored by Neal Adams. I know there are some very vocal critics who are turned off by it, but I am not put off by it enough to want to give it away.

Here's an example, side by side comparison with the original coloring on the left and the new coloring on the right.

I think it's more about your relative taste. I think it's just fine and there's no way I am going to be able to get all of these stories in their original form in pristine back issues. However, I still anticipate this being a great read.

Neal Adams is quotes as saying that this recoloring work was
    "done for the fans that would appreciate it and who are not interested in showing their grandchildren what comic books look like back in the olden days. They were re-worked because they look like the way they would have looked had my work been carried through at the time, and the technology of comics was better. I have a great deal of trouble living in the past. I would prefer that people see what I consider good, while I am assured that all that old thirty two color, poorly lettered, poorly separated, poorly printed work on paper that was one grade above toilet paper can be found on ebay. In succeeding reprints of my work over the last twenty years, they have been printed on better and better paper, they have been retouched by production people, they have been re-colored without my approval and all this does is succeed in making the work look ancient and old-fashioned.

For those of you who don’t appreciate my efforts as always, I’m sorry. For those of you who appreciate my efforts, I thank you."
    I will let you know if I am eventually put off by the recoloring, or if I am able to stomach it enough to enjoy some classic tales.

Those two pages are fine—this first page is even improved—and I don't have a problem with him making color changes when they help the storytelling, but there were three or four stories in the Batman Illustrated books that were absolutely garish with bad airbrush effects.
  • Options

Those two pages are fine—this first page is even improved—and I don't have a problem with him making color changes when they help the storytelling, but there were three or four stories in the Batman Illustrated books that were absolutely garish with bad airbrush effects.

He has commented on those, from what I understand, but I have no direct quotes.

• Options
    Wow. Just got an email from Amazon letting me know that because of their Pre-order Price Guarantee, the price of this omnibus decreased after I ordered it from them, and so they gave me the lowest price. Originally, I had ordered it from DCBS, but they had to cancel the order when the page count got upped and the price increased by 25% (up to $49.99). I took it as an opportunity and found it on Amazon for slightly less and FREE shipping. Amazon's price for the Batman by Neal Adams omnibus on the date I ordered it was $47.46, but Amazon lowered the price charged at shipping to $45.39. Never expected this bonus.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    My Neal Adams Omnibus is on the way.
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131

Wow. Just got an email from Amazon letting me know that because of their Pre-order Price Guarantee, the price of this omnibus decreased after I ordered it from them, and so they gave me the lowest price. Originally, I had ordered it from DCBS, but they had to cancel the order when the page count got upped and the price increased by 25% (up to $49.99). I took it as an opportunity and found it on Amazon for slightly less and FREE shipping. Amazon's price for the Batman by Neal Adams omnibus on the date I ordered it was $47.46, but Amazon lowered the price charged at shipping to $45.39. Never expected this bonus.

I've had that happen a few times. Not a huge amount of a refund, but it's nice to get something back. Feels even better that I didn't waste money.

I recently bought the Fantastic Four Omnibus Vols. 1 and 2 from cheapgraphicnovels.com. Dang, those are pretty books. And there's letter pages inside too!
  • Options
    fredzilla said:

I recently bought the Fantastic Four Omnibus Vols. 1 and 2 from cheapgraphicnovels.com. Dang, those are pretty books. And there's letter pages inside too!

Yes they are. And I too love all the extras in the Original FF omnibuses.

Now I just have to find some more space. I finally pulled the trigger last month on volume 2 of the Byrne FF omnibus. I know some people have said it doesn't compare to V1, but I'm a completist AND a Shulkie fan so I waited until I could find it under $50.

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I picked up Challengers of the Unknown #81-87 from 1977 featuring Swamp Thing and Deadman. Looking forward to some classic DC.
  • Options
    Grabbed a bunch of old reader copies of some back issues.

The Super Friends (1976) #37 & 40
    The Superman Family (1974) #183, 200, 205, 213 & 220
    DC Special Series: Dollar Comics 80 page Superman Spectacular (1977) #5
    I just couldn't resist that cover story -

• Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    I got the two deluxe volumes of Bloodshot. Valiant are making these books look great. They also pass the trademark @ShaneKelly smell test!
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Shadowpact is a really good book. For that price a bargain. Can't beat a bit of Ragman.

Or all of the Ragman...

www.thesuitofsouls.blogspot.com

Purchased Yesterday:

Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi Vol 1

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Apologies to @CageNarleigh - due to a quirk of the forum software, some posts of yours ended up in a spam queue. I fixed it so that should not happen to your posts again, but some old ones are now being delivered like you just made them.
  • Options
    David_D said:

Apologies to @CageNarleigh - due to a quirk of the forum software, some posts of yours ended up in a spam queue. I fixed it so that should not happen to your posts again, but some old ones are now being delivered like you just made them.

Ohhhhhhh! JUST saw this. Thanks David!