Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    That's another book I need to read. As much as I like the actual games, the chapters where they actually prepare for the games was really well done. It's a quick read overall. I would have been done with it by now but I just don't have a lot of time to read these days but it's amazing.
  • Options
    KilmarockKilmarock Posts: 174
    Mortal Engines by Philip Reeve - It's YA but I'm really enjoying it. It is set in the far future when cities have gone mobile and become very predatory as they devour other cities for their resources. It is also the first book in a quartet.

Woken Furies by Richard Morgan - This is not YA but it is sci-fi. The story takes place in the distant future when people can transfer their consciousness (which are stored on "cortical stacks") between sleeves (spare bodies). The main character, Takeshi Kovacs, is a mercenary who is being pursued by a younger copy of himself. This is the third book in a trilogy and I just started reading it. The author has done a little bit of writing for comics: he wrote a couple Black Widow mini-series about 10 years ago.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Just finished reading The Hunger Games and A Princess of Mars. Then I went and saw the movies.

Maybe it was because I had high expectations for Hunger Games, and low expectations for John Carter, but I think I enjoyed John Carter more.
  • Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Just finished reading The Hunger Games and A Princess of Mars. Then I went and saw the movies.

Maybe it was because I had high expectations for Hunger Games, and low expectations for John Carter, but I think I enjoyed John Carter more.
    Got both novels to read. But John Carter is already out of the local theater. Will have to wait on Blu Ray to see it.

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Don't get me started on the mis-handling of John Carter. I really don't like wishing ill on people, but I hope someone at Disney's marketing dept. at the very least got demoted or sent back for re-education. Such a good movie for a timeless classic of sci-fi literature, and nobody bothered to see it because of the horrible job Disney did promoting it.
  • Options
    FeedbackFeedback Posts: 31
    I'm about to start "The Night Eternal" the last book in the Strain Trilogy.
  • Options
    I just finished Carlos Ruiz Zafon's 'The Shadow of the Wind' for the second time. It's an absolutely amazing book.
  • Options
    Just finished
    Dead Beat was all kinds of awesome. I'm in the middle of reading "The Hunger Games" at the moment but that's so good, I'll be done with that before I know it and then it's off to "Small Favor".
    I want to read Hunger Games. It reminds me of Battle Royale.

Great minds think alike.
  • Options
    My novel reading consists mainly of Star Wars EU books - currently to start Darth Plagueis and have 4 others before hitting the Legacy of the Force series. Also have a number of samples sent to the kindle app on tablet to try and fit in at some point
    Star Wars: Allies (Legacy of the Force) - good for the ongoing story.

Just started reading Star Wars: Red Harvest. Potentially interesting.

Just trying to read all the books I've got lying around from 2nd hand book stalls. I've got Wheel of Time I, Sabriel and Dune sitting there but I'm really hankering for some science fiction at the moment.
  • Options
    mbatzmbatz Posts: 63
    The new Anne Rice "The Wolf Gift" I was excited to see her returning to the paranormal. So far, it's good, not great, but good:) about werewolves..
  • Options
    Finished up "The Hunger games" last night. Nice fluffly quick read. Sure it is a kind of rip off of Battle Royale. But really it is like Battle Royale toned down for a teenage audience. Might go see the film Friday night.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited March 2012
    I put Bourne Identity down to reread Bill Simmons Book of Basketball (the Pyramid chapters) last night was Dave Cowen, Willis Reed, A.I., and David Robinson. I'm about to crack the top 25 players ever and goto level 4.
  • Options
    The new Anne Rice "The Wolf Gift" I was excited to see her returning to the paranormal. So far, it's good, not great, but good:) about werewolves..
    Anne Rice is an author I kind of like. I loved Interview,The vampire lestat and Memnoch the devil. But all the other novels of hers I have read I didn't like much.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I've got vacation coming up next week(going to be poolside in Playa Del Carmen) so I plan on reading The Girl Who Played with Fire. The Bourne Legacy and there's been this biography of Walt Disney I've been meaning to read.
  • Options
    Gonna reread "Do Androids dream of electric sheep" by Philip K Dick tonight. I try to at least once a year read it. I love Blader Runner and love DADoES but realize really they are almost two completely different things.
  • Options
    Instead of rereading Do Androids dream of electric sheep,I decided to read the Jack Ketchum novella Weed Species. Now if you don't know Jack Ketchum is known for his very brutal horror novels. Most of which have no supernatural elements at all. And most of which are based on real life events. This novella is based on a Canadian couple that would kidnap ,torture,sexually abuse then kill teenage females. Weed Species is one of the few horror stories that got to me so much I had to put the book down and take a break. Which is amazing when you realize the novella is maybe 50 pages long total. Now up until last year the only way to get this novella was in a very very limited print run chapbook. But either last year or the year before Leisure books included it in their printing of "Joyride" by Jack Ketchum. Having heard many reviews about how intense Weed Species was I had to read it. And now after reading it I can safely say it is one of the most terrifying stories I have read so far. What makes it so intense is it is based on a true story ,plus it is just real people doing this stuff to other people. There is no monster,besides the couple,and no supernatural threat. Instead we get the story of something that really happened and are shown that the scariest thing on the planet is human kind. Plus we get a peek inside a truly distrubed mind. This isn't a story I can recommend to most people. But if you are a horror fan and think that no horror story can scare you or distrub you give this a read.
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    edited March 2012
    I just finished reading Jasper Fforde's The Last Dragonslayer. I'm going camping/disc golfing this weekend. Rain is forecast for Saturday, so I packed Fforde's follow-up book, The Song of Quarkbeast, just in case Saturday's planned disc golf games are postponed until Sunday.
  • Options
    I just finished reading Jasper Fforde's The Last Dragonslayer. I'm going camping/disc golfing this weekend. Rain is forecast for Saturday, so I packed Fforde's follow-up book, The Song of Quarkbeast, just in case Saturday's planned disc golf games are postponed until Sunday.

I miss playing Disc golf so much. When I was living out in Port Arthur Texas I was lucky and we had a great course about 10 minutes from my house. I use to go play at least 1 round 3 or 4 times a week before or after work. Then I moved to Mississippi and the nearest course to me is over an hour away and it is in horrible shape. The goals are made of wood and you can tell no one has bothered keeping the course in good shape for years now. Hope you get to play and have a blast.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I just finished the Hunger Games today. What a great book. I thought it was entertaining, fast paced at times and just a lot of fun. Great characters and just an overall enjoyable book to read.
  • Options
    LibraryBoyLibraryBoy Posts: 1,803
    Started one of the Doctor Who New Adventures novels over the weekend - Blood Heat by Jim Mortimer, the first part of the "Alternate Universe" cycle in the NA series. Never read many of these as they came out despite being a huge Who fan, so they're fun to read once in a while now, even if I don't always enjoy how they pushed the 7th Doctor from being an occasionally shady chessmaster-like manipulator into being an outright dick.
  • Options

Star Wars: Allies (Legacy of the Force) - good for the ongoing story.

Just started reading Star Wars: Red Harvest. Potentially interesting.
    Red Harvest is a decent read, much superior to Death Troopers which is in the same vein. Have many books before I get anywhere near to Allies.

Have finished Darth Plagueis and I think it's one of the better books that I've read in the SW:EU. It offers a nice character progression for the title character and Palpatine, whilst filling in a lot of backstory for the Phantom Menace.

Next on the list - The Force Unleashed II
  • Options
    I bought the Mobile Suit Gundam novelization that was just reissued. It's written by Yoshiyuki Tomino himself, and I hear the ending is radically different than the anime.

• Options
    I just finished the Hunger Games today. What a great book. I thought it was entertaining, fast paced at times and just a lot of fun. Great characters and just an overall enjoyable book to read.

The Hunger Games novel surprised me so much . I went in not expecting much and really enjoyed it . Started reading the second book in the series last night and so far it is really good also. Saw "The Hunger Games" film tonight and it a very good adaptation of the book. They don't change much and also don't leave out much from the novel. If you enjoyed the novel it is worth going to see the film.
  • Options
    Gonna reread "Do Androids dream of electric sheep" by Philip K Dick tonight. I try to at least once a year read it. I love Blader Runner and love DADoES but realize really they are almost two completely different things.
    Did you read the comic adaptation? If so, what was it like?
  • Options
    I bought the Mobile Suit Gundam novelization that was just reissued. It's written by Yoshiyuki Tomino himself, and I hear the ending is radically different than the anime.

If you like anime novels then try 'Ghost in the Shell: White Maze', 'Ghost in the Shell: The Lost Memory' and 'Ghost in the Shell: Revenge of the Cold Machines' by Junichi Fujisaku. In line with the TV series and gave me the extra GitS experience that I wanted after watching the TV series. You don't need to watch the TV series to read these but it can help.
  • Options
    Started one of the Doctor Who New Adventures novels over the weekend - Blood Heat by Jim Mortimer, the first part of the "Alternate Universe" cycle in the NA series. Never read many of these as they came out despite being a huge Who fan, so they're fun to read once in a while now, even if I don't always enjoy how they pushed the 7th Doctor from being an occasionally shady chessmaster-like manipulator into being an outright dick.
    Should try some of the audio books read by the original cast. It is quite funny listening to David Tennant switching between his natural scottish accent for narration, his english accent for The Doctor and a female London accent for Rose. I like it because you can easily tell the difference between the narration and the characters.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Space Chronicles: Facing the Ultimate Frontier by Neil deGrasse Tyson. I disagree with him on his views on funding the arts and there are a couple times where it is a bit repetitive but overall a great book from a great mind and if only our country could get back down this path and realize just how much of our everyday lives are a direct result of space research, funding, and missions.
  • Options
    I still need to get and read the comic adaptation. I have heard it is an almost direct adaptation of the novel. Has it been completed yet?

• Options
    I still need to get and read the comic adaptation. I have heard it is an almost direct adaptation of the novel. Has it been completed yet?

In various volumes, yes. I don't know if there is an omnibus at all or if there will be.
  • Options
    KilmarockKilmarock Posts: 174

The Harrowing of Gwynedd by Katherine Kurtz - I'm slowly working my way through the Deryni novels, which I first read when I was in high school, 20+ years ago. This one (10th overall) was the most current novel in the series back then. After reading THoG I moved on to other books and didn't get back to this series until a couple years ago.