Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Official Novel Thread -What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited April 2012
    Next on deck:

Death of Kings by Bernard Cornwell.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Coming today (and the winner of longest title so far this year):

The Feast Nearby: How I lost my job, buried a marriage, and found my way by keeping chickens, foraging, preserving, bartering, and eating locally (all on $40 a week)
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    I found that the library is FINALLY carrying the new Hard Case Crime novels, which makes this crime novel fanboy happy. I read "Quarry's Ex" by Max Allen Collins on my overnight shift Wednesday night. That's right, the whole thing. All 210 pages of it. It was like all of Collin's novels - well-written, a swift moving plot and characters who move the story along without being TOO deep.

I started the Christa Faust novel "Choke Hold" and got about 80 pages into it, a crime novel set in the world of MMA fighting. It's a sequel to her other HCC novel "Money Shot". It has a character who doesn't know anything about MMA dealing with that world, and is a good way to bring that world to life. Reminds me a lot of my detective novel set in the world of Pro Wrassslin...well, except hers is published a more polished. ^_^
  • Options
    Currently reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins
    It was a good book to help me on my journey to atheism, but Dawkins himself is too confrontational in his speeches and appearances for my taste. But it is a GREAT book that breaks down the different arguments for and against atheism.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    edited April 2012
    @solitairerose
    I started the Christa Faust novel "Choke Hold" and got about 80 pages into it, a crime novel set in the world of MMA fighting. It's a sequel to her other HCC novel "Money Shot". It has a character who doesn't know anything about MMA dealing with that world, and is a good way to bring that world to life. Reminds me a lot of my detective novel set in the world of Pro Wrassslin...well, except hers is published a more polished. ^_^
    Please tell me there is some way you can get me a copy of that SR. Please. I'm not asking for any other reason than I really want to read them. Also you need to start a thread to tell us screw 'em, tell me more crazy backstage stories from your sordid past.
  • Options

Please tell me there is some way you can get me a copy of that SR. Please. I'm not asking for any other reason than I really want to read them. Also you need to start a thread to tell us screw 'em, tell me more crazy backstage stories from your sordid past.
    I don't have it finished yet, so you'll have a wait a month or so...but if you like, you could be one of the "edit readers" I recruit to go over the first draft.

As for my "backstage stories", that's why I have the podcast. ^_^

• Options
    dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200
    Gonna reread "Do Androids dream of electric sheep" by Philip K Dick tonight. I try to at least once a year read it. I love Blader Runner and love DADoES but realize really they are almost two completely different things.
    Did you read the comic adaptation? If so, what was it like?
    I still need to get and read the comic adaptation. I have heard it is an almost direct adaptation of the novel. Has it been completed yet?

In various volumes, yes. I don't know if there is an omnibus at all or if there will be.
    I will have to get them next time I do an order from Instocktrades.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I just bought Catching Fire.
  • Options
    brydeemerbrydeemer Posts: 216
    Next on deck:

Death of Kings by Bernard Cornwell.
    I love Bernard Cornwell's books. I've read 3 of the Sharpe series and one of the Saxon books. I also read Agincort which was awesome.

Bry
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Near the end of Anthony McCarten's Death of a Superhero.
    Inspired by real events, Death of a Superhero is a brilliantly original fusion of novel, comic book, and film script; a celebration of the transience of life and the eternal difficulty of love, and a hilarious riff on our 21st-century infatuation with movies and the superhero solution.
    Being terminally ill and seeking bliss in escapism myself, this book hits home.
  • Options
    I am currently switching between the second book of the Sword of Truth series (which the TV show Legend of the Seeker was based off of), Stone of Tears, and Servant of the Shard from the Forgotten Realms Drizzt line.
  • Options
    I am currently switching between the second book of the Sword of Truth series (which the TV show Legend of the Seeker was based off of), Stone of Tears, and Servant of the Shard from the Forgotten Realms Drizzt line.
    You have more fortitude than I, my friend. I got through the first Sword of Truth book. I attempted the second, but the writing was so juvenile and at many point, just plain bad, that I couldn't do it.

The Salvatore books, on the other hand, are my favorite fantasy books.

Bry

• Options
    Just finished 'The Dresden Files: Storm Front' by Jim Butcher. It attempts to combine the fantasy with a city environment, which I like (apparently this genre is called 'urban fantasy', who knew?). Saw the TV series and though I'd give it a shot but there were many differences but I didn't favour any 'universe', novel or tv series, over the other. This novel fleshes out a lot of detail about the way but it seems to creep in over time instead of hitting you with everything first off.
  • Options
    You have more fortitude than I, my friend. I got through the first Sword of Truth book. I attempted the second, but the writing was so juvenile and at many point, just plain bad, that I couldn't do it.

The Salvatore books, on the other hand, are my favorite fantasy books.

Bry

Yeah, the first one was hard to get through, I agree. I guess I keep hoping they get better because I liked the TV show so much. heh

The Salvatore books have become my favorites as well, though I'm not liking Servant of the Shard as much as the ones featuring Drizzt and his main companions.
  • Options

The Salvatore books have become my favorites as well, though I'm not liking Servant of the Shard as much as the ones featuring Drizzt and his main companions.
    I agree. It's still a good book, but without the full cast of characters, it's just not the same.

Bry

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Choose your own Adventure 143 Project UFO by R A Montgomery

Forgotten I had loaned this to my cousin. Read a chunk of it earlier while having lunch. Got 3 different endings. But none of them the "really good ending". Seems each of these novels had one perfect ending.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I just started Small Favor which is book 10 of the Dresden Files. It's starting off pretty good so far.
  • Options
    I just started Small Favor which is book 10 of the Dresden Files. It's starting off pretty good so far.
    Warning to @jaydee74 and others, I did something really stupid and read 'The Dresden Files: Small Jobs' right after the first book. I thought they were just going to be random short stories but they contain spoilers for other things in the series, which have now been spoilt for me. Please don't make the same mistake... although I did like the stories
  • Options
    Warning to @jaydee74 and others, I did something really stupid and read 'The Dresden Files: Small Jobs' right after the first book. I thought they were just going to be random short stories but they contain spoilers for other things in the series, which have now been spoilt for me. Please don't make the same mistake... although I did like the stories
    That reminds me when does the next Dresden Files novel come out? I want to say I bought the newest one last year.

• Options
    Read it after Changes.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    That reminds me when does the next Dresden Files novel come out? I want to say I bought the newest one last year.
    Cold Days is rumored to be coming out in June.

No Amazon solicit yet, though, so I guess it will be August or later.
  • Options
    I think the 13th book of the Dresden Files is already out.
  • Options
    I think the 13th book of the Dresden Files is already out.
    Ghost Story, #13, came out last July. Cold Days, #14, is due this summer.

Small Jobs should be read between Changes and Ghost Story if you've got the willpower.
  • Options
    Just finished reading "Choke Hold" by Christa Faust on Thursday morning. I love the protagonist and the setting of the MMA world, but she went into the world of p0rn for a couple of chapters (since the protagonist is a former p0rn actress) and it just felt forced...and stretched the book out for another 10,000 words. If that part was edited out, it would have been a tight, lean crime novel. I still liked it, but that part felt gratuitous and crowbarred in. I'm reading "Getting Off" by Lawrence Black now (another from Hard Case Crime) and it's got a solid start from the criminal's point of view.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    On vacation while chilling on the beach I read Pronto by Elmore Leonard which features Raylan Givens from Justified
  • Options
    On vacation while chilling on the beach I read Pronto by Elmore Leonard which features Raylan Givens from Justified
    Actually, Justified features Raylan Givens from Pronto! ;)

• Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    I just started reading "Nocturnal" by Scott Sigler, I'm a big fan of his Horror/Sci-Fi stories.

Even though her releases all his books in unedited podcast, I still purchase most of his books in hardback.

One of the things I love about this story is Sigler lives in S.F. so he set this story in S.F. and used actual places around "The City" It is real cool when I drive around and spot locations from the book.
  • Options
    Just got through the second volume of The Dresden Files, 'Fool Moon' and enjoyed it... moving on to the next volume.

I'm glad to be reading again. Hope everyone is using this thread as an excuse to read more.
  • Options
    Mockingjay

Finally finished off the last book in the Hunger Games series. The book starts off extremely slow and boring. And it wasn't until 2/3rds of the way thru the book that it really picks up. Kind of surprising since the first 2 were way better novels. But still it is a decent quick easy read.

The Death of WCW

Great book that goes into heavy detail about how WCW could go from making huge amounts of money in one year. Then the next year losing almost as much money.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    I'm about 130 pages into The Girl Who Played With Fire