Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Supergirl TV Series Discussion

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

It did look a wee bit like the SNL Black Widow trailer...
    Yeah...but that SNL trailer WAS a joke.

M
    A joke with a lot of truth behind it.
    You really think Marvel would put out a TV series or movie about one of its female characters like the SNL trailer? I didn't get any of that from Agent Carter; the One-Shot nor series.

M
    Putting put a movie like that would require them to actually put out a Black Widow movie.

Which they will apparently only do if they're shamed into it.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

M
    You really think Marvel would put out a TV series or movie about one of its female characters like the SNL trailer? I didn't get any of that from Agent Carter; the One-Shot nor series.

M
    Putting put a movie like that would require them to actually put out a Black Widow movie.

So then this discussion is not about Marvel insulting it's female characters, but rather there not being a movie for ONE specific character.

And is it 100% needing to be shamed for that ONE character, or does the actress' interest also factor into it?

For a guy who toots the horn of a show I saw its female characters get spotlighted in TV promos during Agent Carter's run, you seem to be using a very broad brush because of ONE character.

M
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

M

M

And to be honest, if they were going to put out a Widow movie that mirrors the look of the Supergirl series trailer, I'd want Marvel to pass.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

So then this discussion is not about Marvel insulting it's female characters, but rather there not being a movie for ONE specific character.

No.

It's apparently about you completely missing the (attempted) humor in my initial reply.
  • Options
    Matt said:

And to be honest, if they were going to put out a Widow movie that mirrors the look of the Supergirl series trailer, I'd want Marvel to pass.

M

Oh yeah, me too.

But this is very Supergirl.

Hell, Supergirl had a magic horse who turned into a dreamy boyfriend when a particular
    comet was in the sky!
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

No.

It's apparently about you completely missing the (attempted) humor in my initial reply.
    Then I'm clearly in the wrong church & wrong pew.

M
  • Options
    Not bad, not bad at all. But "James" still isn't nerdy enough for my taste. I'm willing to give this a shot, at least.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    I like the tone. The Man Of Steel movie could have done with some of that.
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

No.

Then I'm clearly in the wrong church & wrong pew.

M
    "Pew! Pew! Pew!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZkqC4Lz8dU
  • Options
    kiwijase said:

Even if I didn't like MoS, I wouldn't want any of the movies to have the feel of this trailer.

M
  • Options
    fredzillafredzilla Posts: 2,131
    My family and I have been loving The Flash and when I saw this trailer I showed it to my daughter. She didn't know what she was watching until Kara stepped out in her costume and she got a big smile and said, "Supergirl!" I have high hopes that this will be a show that I can share with her (she'll be about 5yo when the show begins). Being on CBS, I just hope it doesn't get too soap opera-like, violent, or sexualized. For our family and my kids, The Flash has a good balance of those and I hope this is similar.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    Matt said:

kiwijase said:

Even if I didn't like MoS, I wouldn't want any of the movies to have the feel of this trailer.

M
    It carries itself lightly. That's what I like about it.

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Well that was... Weird. IMO. Felt like the tone was all over the place and I don't know what to think. One moment it looked cool, next simply cute, and the next moment painfully silly. Sure looks like they got a high production value though (for the pilot at least). It shows potential and I'm willing to give it a try.
  • Options
    kiwijase said:

Matt said:

kiwijase said:

M
    It carries itself lightly. That's what I like about it.

If women told me they found this an insulting interpretation, I would completely be on their side.

M
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I'm more than willing to give it a try.
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Looks promising to me. I see it's scheduled right against Gotham, so... goodbye, Gotham.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

Looks promising to me. I see it's scheduled right against Gotham, so... goodbye, Gotham.

Yep. If I gotta choose, I vote Kara all the way.

Here's the thing - you can't do Supergirl as a dark story. Lord knows DC tried and look how that turned out in the New52. Even more than her cousin...especially more than her cousin now that Man of Steel is out...her story needs to be lighter. Not without some hard times, not without conflict, but definitely lighter than say, Arrow.

And I understand full well that this show is not being made for me - and I'm a lifelong Supergirl fan (I was looking at my older sisters' copies of the book before I could read at all!) - but an audience that wants that drama and relationship stuff in there. I'm a 45-year old man...I *hope* they're not making this show for me (even though it's on CBS - the "Old People" network! :) ). This is a shot to make a show for a younger generation and get them into the character the way I was brought in...as a kid.

So even though it's not a show for me...bet your butt I'm tuning in every Monday. Even if the acting is wooden, the plots are contrived, and they don't do everything I've come to expect after decades of reading Supergirl comics...I'm tuning in. Because I think we need a show like this.

Up, up and away, folks! :)

• Options
    This is a show that when she's just older I would have no problem showing my daughter. (She's a month shy of turning 4) I think this is a show that she would like eventually.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    Torchsong said:

And I understand full well that this show is not being made for me - and I'm a lifelong Supergirl fan (I was looking at my older sisters' copies of the book before I could read at all!) - but an audience that wants that drama and relationship stuff in there. I'm a 45-year old man...I *hope* they're not making this show for me (even though it's on CBS - the "Old People" network! :) ). This is a shot to make a show for a younger generation and get them into the character the way I was brought in...as a kid.

So even though it's not a show for me...bet your butt I'm tuning in every Monday. Even if the acting is wooden, the plots are contrived, and they don't do everything I've come to expect after decades of reading Supergirl comics...I'm tuning in. Because I think we need a show like this.

I'm glad you feel this way. It seems people are freaking out online about the tone and refusing to watch it (like that'll do anything). Jimmy Palmiotti said it best on twitter...

• Options
    edited May 2015

Torchsong said:

I'm glad you feel this way. It seems people are freaking out online about the tone and refusing to watch it (like that'll do anything). Jimmy Palmiotti said it best on twitter...

All the "older guys" I've seen react have done so positively.

We "older guys" remember when Supergirl was like this.

And we liked it that way!
  • Options
    I'm not going to pretend I was going to watch this series before I saw the trailer. Aside from Agent Carter, I don't watch tv shows anymore. Having said that, I would've at least hoped this series felt more like Agent Carter, Veronica Mars, & Buffy instead of the Legally Blonde/Great American Hero/Devil Wears Prada mix.

I don't think they need to go the Arrow or MoS route, but I never interpreted Karen Starr the way Kara is portrayed. When Kent does his "Clark Kent" bit, it's just that, a bit. In the trailer, at least, that's not how Kara is portrayed.

I wouldn't have gone the darker route, but I think making a series about a heroine who isn't just "as strong as a hero" but also portrayed as any man.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

I'm not going to pretend I was going to watch this series before I saw the trailer. Aside from Agent Carter, I don't watch tv shows anymore. Having said that, I would've at least hoped this series felt more like Agent Carter, Veronica Mars, & Buffy instead of the Legally Blonde/Great American Hero/Devil Wears Prada mix.

I don't think they need to go the Arrow or MoS route, but I never interpreted Karen Starr the way Kara is portrayed. When Kent does his "Clark Kent" bit, it's just that, a bit. In the trailer, at least, that's not how Kara is portrayed.

I wouldn't have gone the darker route, but I think making a series about a heroine who isn't just "as strong as a hero" but also portrayed as any man.

M

This is going to be a much more mainstream show than Agent Carter, Veronica Mars, & Buffy.

That said, I think the success of The Flash gives them the go-ahead to be unapologetically superheroic and comic-booky.
  • Options
    I am hoping we see a the fun we get from the Flash in this show. I think that's what Supergirl needs.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

This is going to be a much more mainstream show than Agent Carter, Veronica Mars, & Buffy.

That said, I think the success of The Flash gives them the go-ahead to be unapologetically superheroic and comic-booky.
    Even the Wonder Woman series didn't seem this tone. Was it not picked up because it wasn't this tone? Wouldn't that be sexist?

Also, aren't you a guy who ripped MoS for mirroring the tone of The Dark Knight trilogy? I could easily say the success of that trilogy gave them the go-ahead to be unapologetically more grounded, grim, & serious.

M
  • Options
    I'm sure there were a lot of reasons Wonder Woman wasn't picked up and Wonder Woman isn't the same kind of hero as Supergirl. Doing something that is grim, grounded and serious works with certain characters. It works for Batman. It works for Daredevil. I don't think it works so well with Superman but that's just an opinion and I know enough people who thought it was a good movie. I'm curious enough from what I saw with this Supergirl first look to watch the first episode. I like the tone. I like the characters that I've seen so far. It looks good.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

I'm sure there were a lot of reasons Wonder Woman wasn't picked up and Wonder Woman isn't the same kind of hero as Supergirl. Doing something that is grim, grounded and serious works with certain characters. It works for Batman. It works for Daredevil. I don't think it works so well with Superman but that's just an opinion and I know enough people who thought it was a good movie. I'm curious enough from what I saw with this Supergirl first look to watch the first episode. I like the tone. I like the characters that I've seen so far. It looks good.

Yes.

All that.

Thanks.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

The trailer I saw for Flash didn't look similar to the trailer I see here for Supergirl. This series looks less comic book-y, and more like the Devil Wears Prada.

I was merely pointing out, if you're going to use the "one to justify the other" reasoning, it can come back at you.

M
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    God, it looks awful... I'm gonna watch the Hell out of it.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    ....I don't know what the Devil Wears Prada means. Is that a movie? I'm honestly not trying to be snarky but I just don't know what that is but sounds like something my wife would watch and if that's the case, awesome cause maybe she'll actually watch Sueprgirl with me. I'm not sure this was a trailer. It was too long. It was a first look. Could the show wind up being a bit different than what we saw in the first look? Probably.

"quoteI was merely pointing out, if you're going to use the "one to justify the other" reasoning, it can come back at you."

Yes. I do agree with this but I think what I was trying to say is that different heroes do well in different tones. I wouldn't set the same tone for a Batman project in the same way that I would the Flash or the Supergirl project.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    Calista Flockhart sure has gone a long way down since Ally McBeal. Although I think she will make an excellent Cat Grant.