Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Supergirl TV Series Discussion

Comments

• bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    what's wrong with Ally McBeal's lips?!?!!
  • jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I can see her as Cat Grant.
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

jaydee74 said:

I'm sure there were a lot of reasons Wonder Woman wasn't picked up and Wonder Woman isn't the same kind of hero as Supergirl. Doing something that is grim, grounded and serious works with certain characters. It works for Batman. It works for Daredevil. I don't think it works so well with Superman but that's just an opinion and I know enough people who thought it was a good movie. I'm curious enough from what I saw with this Supergirl first look to watch the first episode. I like the tone. I like the characters that I've seen so far. It looks good.

The trailer I saw for Flash didn't look similar to the trailer I see here for Supergirl. This series looks less comic book-y, and more like the Devil Wears Prada.

I was merely pointing out, if you're going to use the "one to justify the other" reasoning, it can come back at you.

M
    You know, you're right.

They're completely different.

Flash wears red (OK burgundy).

Supergirl wears blue and red.

Totally different.
    Seriously, though, @Matt, I'm talking about a similarity in tone.

More optimistic.

More colorful.

More embracing of the fun of superheroes.

The success of The Flash has shown that comic book shows don't have to be so damned gloomy and serious to be popular.

And this series looks like it is taking things a step farther yet.

It looks like what would happen if The Flash and Lois & Clark had a baby.
    bamfbamf said:

what's wrong with Ally McBeal's lips?!?!!

Bad plastic surgery, it appears.
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Hex said:

Calista Flockhart sure has gone a long way down since Ally McBeal. Although I think she will make an excellent Cat Grant.

There has got to be some strange conversations around that dinner table.

Ford; Want some potatoes?
    Flockhart; No.
    Ford; The Kale is very good. Try some.
    Flockhart; I'm good.

Ford; Have an edible.
    Flockhart; OK.
    edited May 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CThmpQJ6NMY
    I like the blue heat vision.
    Yup. Looks cool.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    jaydee74 said:

....I don't know what the Devil Wears Prada means. Is that a movie? I'm honestly not trying to be snarky but I just don't know what that is but sounds like something my wife would watch and if that's the case, awesome cause maybe she'll actually watch Sueprgirl with me. I'm not sure this was a trailer. It was too long. It was a first look. Could the show wind up being a bit different than what we saw in the first look? Probably.

"quoteI was merely pointing out, if you're going to use the "one to justify the other" reasoning, it can come back at you."

Yes. I do agree with this but I think what I was trying to say is that different heroes do well in different tones. I wouldn't set the same tone for a Batman project in the same way that I would the Flash or the Supergirl project.

I concur, the successful tone used for Batman should not be used across the board (in fact, I think that'll hurt the DCCU long term).

YouTube the trailer for The Devil Wears Prada. Aside from stating Anne Hathaway is wicked hot, the clip will speak for itself.

M
    Ah. The Cat Grant character seems very much like that Meryl Streep character. I see the similarities. Looks like an interesting movie. I wonder if my wife saw it.
    WetRats said:

More optimistic.

More colorful.

The success of The Flash has shown that comic book shows don't have to be so damned gloomy and serious to be popular.

I think you can do that, but this trailer didn't sell me the idea is that concept. It looked more Gossip Girl meets My Secret Identity. What I like Peggy & Widow is that is minimal tweaking to present them as males. ScarJo mentioned in her initial conversation with Whedon about Widow for Avengers the notion of gender was never involved. He didn't see Widow as a woman among men, but one of the group.

If you made the same slight tweaks to Kara, it wouldn't be easy to swap out the character with a male.

I know you can have a heroine driven series that is fun & optimistic, with a comic book-y feel that still presents the heroine with confidence & competence.

If my daughter was at an age to be watching these shows, I'd rather she watch Agent Carter & AoS.

M
    I can see @Matt 's point of view in terms of making a character where it could work whether it was a male or female. I don't mind wha they are presenting and it's intrigued me enough to see the pilot episode but I can see his concerns.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

More optimistic.

More colorful.

I think you can do that, but this trailer didn't sell me the idea is that concept. It looked more Gossip Girl meets My Secret Identity. What I like Peggy & Widow is that is minimal tweaking to present them as males. ScarJo mentioned in her initial conversation with Whedon about Widow for Avengers the notion of gender was never involved. He didn't see Widow as a woman among men, but one of the group.

If you made the same slight tweaks to Kara, it wouldn't be easy to swap out the character with a male.

I know you can have a heroine driven series that is fun & optimistic, with a comic book-y feel that still presents the heroine with confidence & competence.

If my daughter was at an age to be watching these shows, I'd rather she watch Agent Carter & AoS.

M
    I see your concerns. The whole “Why Supergirl and not Superwoman?” bit felt rather forced—unlike the more natural approach Agent Carter took with gender inequality—but I might change my opinion when I see it within the context of the entire scene. It's too early to make a judgement on the show either way.

And because of the Supergirl/Superman dynamic, I think there needs to be a distinction made between how Superman would handle things, and how Supergirl handles things, in order to make Supergirl a more interesting individual. So I have no problem with gender being front and center in the show, as long as it's handled well. We'll have to wait and see about that, though. Initial impressions can sometimes be deceiving.
    Some of the cooler Supergirl stories show her stepping out of the shadow of her more famous cousin. I have a mini-series that I read to my daughter that is called "Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade" and it's pretty awesome and it shows how Supergirl establishes herself as her own hero and I hope that this show is what we'll get. Super girl becoming her own hero.
  • blockquote>

What I like Peggy & Widow is that is minimal tweaking to present them as males. ScarJo mentioned in her initial conversation with Whedon about Widow for Avengers the notion of gender was never involved. He didn't see Widow as a woman among men, but one of the group.

M

I've been looking at this quote, and maybe I'm just reading this wrong. Why would a female character that only needs minimal tweaking to be presented as a man be a good thing? Is there something about presenting a female character exhibiting "female" qualities that makes her less than a female character exhibiting "male" qualities, or even "androgynous" qualities? I apologize if I'm misinterpreting you, but speaking as a woman, this seems a very strange statement to me.

blockquote>

What I like Peggy & Widow is that is minimal tweaking to present them as males. ScarJo mentioned in her initial conversation with Whedon about Widow for Avengers the notion of gender was never involved. He didn't see Widow as a woman among men, but one of the group.

M

I've been looking at this quote, and maybe I'm just reading this wrong. Why would a female character that only needs minimal tweaking to be presented as a man be a good thing? Is there something about presenting a female character exhibiting "female" qualities that makes her less than a female character exhibiting "male" qualities, or even "androgynous" qualities? I apologize if I'm misinterpreting you, but speaking as a woman, this seems a very strange statement to me.

I prefer female characters be presented the same way as a male character is more often presented. I always circle back to Buffy Summers. With a few tweaks, that could've been a male role. I like when heroines are presented in a voice that was essentially a male role, then swapped out to make it a role for a female.

For example, Tom Cruise was initially offered the role of Salt. When he turned it down (because it was too close to his Ethan Hunt role), they made Salt a female & cast Angelina Jolie.

I think they show how equal the genders should be.

M

blockquote>

M

Ultimately, I cringed during the majority of this trailer/clip/first look because I didn't think it portrayed her as a capable, strong individual.

I understand this could change as the series progresses, but I just thought an approach that mirrors Kent (a powerful & confident person who acts bumbling & lackluster) is more positive then the reverse.

Again, I was never going to watch this series to begin with, but I just thought they missed the boat on getting more confidence in a heroine driven series (and movie).

M
  • I and my 7 year old daughter just watched the trailer..

She loved it and immediately asked when is the show on.

I think the theme of having a true view of oneself and what one can do when we try our best is good for ALL viewers.

'nuff said
  • RedRight88RedRight88 Posts: 2,207
    Anyone else think her first costume in the trailer (the one where she complains about not having a cape) is a riff on her New 52 outfit?
  • Anyone else think her first costume in the trailer (the one where she complains about not having a cape) is a riff on her New 52 outfit?

I thought so, yeah.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited May 2015
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm46-envrHo

First of all, I love the look and the vibe of this trailer. I think it hits a very sweet note and I hope it will be entertaining and a positive role model for girls and young women.

My only two quips are

1) That little acne scar above her bridge between her eyebrows (closer to her left eyebrow) breaks my suspension of disbelief every time I see it. (as seen at 1:48, 4:35, 5:58, etc) A superhuman wouldn't have that scar. I suppose she could have gotten it on Krypton...

2) Haven't they done the Superman saves a jet airliner bit to death already?

I was actually very surprised by this trailer and plan to watch this show.

It's not a cliché, it's a tradition!
    It's not only tradition but I would say a rite of passage.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Alright, alright. I will accept that, but back to the little scar next to her eyebrow...

That's a good quip :)
    Well, as far as the scar goes. I missed it but let's say for the sake of argument, it's there.. Remember she's 12 when she is shipped to Earth. What if she got it before her journey or during her journey?

Alright, alright. I will accept that, but back to the little scar next to her eyebrow...

Weren't you also the person who had a quip about Adrienne Palicki's forehead mole in the Wonder Woman unaired pilot?

M
    Matt said:

Weren't you also the person who had a quip about Adrienne Palicki's forehead mole in the Wonder Woman unaired pilot?

M
    I love Adrienne Palicki's forehead mole.

BTW: Forehead Mole is my new band name.
    Matt said:

blockquote>

M

M

I agree. It's an odd comment and does nothing to help with my confusion over what "feminism" is.
    WetRats said:

It's not a cliché, it's a tradition!
    jaydee74 said:

It's not only tradition but I would say a rite of passage.

QFT!