Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Supergirl TV Series Discussion

Comments

• Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    Matt said:

rebis said:

Matt said:

blockquote>

What I like Peggy & Widow is that is minimal tweaking to present them as males. ScarJo mentioned in her initial conversation with Whedon about Widow for Avengers the notion of gender was never involved. He didn't see Widow as a woman among men, but one of the group.

If you made the same slight tweaks to Kara, it wouldn't be easy to swap out the character with a male.

I know you can have a heroine driven series that is fun & optimistic, with a comic book-y feel that still presents the heroine with confidence & competence.

If my daughter was at an age to be watching these shows, I'd rather she watch Agent Carter & AoS.

M

I've been looking at this quote, and maybe I'm just reading this wrong. Why would a female character that only needs minimal tweaking to be presented as a man be a good thing? Is there something about presenting a female character exhibiting "female" qualities that makes her less than a female character exhibiting "male" qualities, or even "androgynous" qualities? I apologize if I'm misinterpreting you, but speaking as a woman, this seems a very strange statement to me.
    M
    I agree. It's an odd comment and does nothing to help with my confusion over what "feminism" is.
    At least comment on my explanation:

"I prefer female characters be presented the same way as a male character is more often presented. I always circle back to Buffy Summers. With a few tweaks, that could've been a male role. I like when heroines are presented in a voice that was essentially a male role, then swapped out to make it a role for a female.

For example, Tom Cruise was initially offered the role of Salt. When he turned it down (because it was too close to his Ethan Hunt role), they made Salt a female & cast Angelina Jolie.

I think they show how equal the genders should be."

M

Grannygeekness has already commented much better than I could.

For my part, I found the comment mildly offensive. It could be taken as women needing to be de facto men to be taken seriously. It also adds to my confusion on what feminism is. Is the point of feminism to celebrate/elevate the feminine or make the feminine masculine. The latter would mean that the feminine isn't good enough. Something that I don't believe.

I would also add that this recent expressionism of feminism (uber-hot women with bad ass fighting skills) comes off more as male fetish than feminism.
  • Options
    kgforcekgforce Posts: 326
    Anyone here watch it, yet? Any good?
  • Options
    shanebshaneb Posts: 109
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729
    edited May 2015
    kgforce said:

I've seen it. Let me first say that, while I'd LIKE to post spoilers, I won't. Just because it's out doesn't mean everyone can watch it or even wants to. And, for all I know, even more news concerning the show will come out between now and then and I don't want to ruin the thread by people curious about the news stumbling upon the spoilers.

HERES WHAT I WILL SAY: Tonewise it's not Arrow. It's not Flash. It's not Gotham. It's not Constantine. Supergirl ABSOLUTELY is its own thing. The "threat" seemed haphazardly tossed together and I'm concerned with the potential for a "freak of the week" scenario. Kara herself is utterly fantastic. This is MY Kara. This is the eternally optimistic girl with an unextinguishable inner light that you can't help but admire and adore. You BELIEVE in her pure intentions to do good. And, when it comes right down to it, that's all I wanted from the pilot wether I saw it now or when it aired.

That said, this is DEFINITELY a pilot episode. You can totally tell. And I don't mean special effects wise. This is a completely new world and, right now, I don't care about any of the supporting cast, except, surprisingly, Jimmy Olsen. But, then again, it's a pilot episode for a daring new TV series. The goal for episode one is "make them care about Supergirl". In that, they succeed. I'll worry about and critique the supporting cast once we pass the point where they should have made us invested. The pilot isn't that episode.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I can't wait to see it.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    can't help myself, watching it today :)
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I really enjoy this treatment of Supergirl, especially the color palette! :)

https://youtu.be/Du-eYiD9OfM
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I was really impressed by the pilot. I agree with CageNarleigh that it's very "piloty" but not necessarily in a bad way. Maybe we should create a spoilers thread so we can discuss it in more detail but I 100% agree with what CageNarleigh said about this being MY Kara (it's both of ours), the optimistic Kara. I love her.

My biggest hope is that this doesn't devolve into the typical CBS procedural. Please don't have Kara solving crimes :)

This has me so pumped that I'm thinking about doing some Supergirl collecting again, it's been a long time since I did that.

I'll throw out some hyperbole. If the show continues what the pilot set up... this will probably be my favorite superhero show outside of the Netflix Defenders series (which are just on another level). And even compared to those, this could wind up being more FUN.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    edited June 2015
    Watched the pilot and Spoilers for Episode 1.

I will say it wasn't that good IMO. Both Arrow, Flash, pilots where light years ahead of Supergirl. The actress who plays Kara was OK but the story it's self was basically the definition of cheese.

The twist at the end was extremely Lame? I don't know if that was a call back to an actual comic storyline? But I was underwhelmed by it.

And the villain was bad and I don't buy there villains story at all. They are saying these guy's have been around for as long as Kara got out of the Phantom Zone. And they expect us to believe that at some point Superman wouldn't have dealt with them?

By this pilot between choosing to watch this or Gotham I would definitely choose Gotham. I will give the show a few episodes but nothing in this pilot gave me any hope for this show.
  • Options
    So the Batman show without a Batman is still better than the Supes show with no Superman? Hmm... I rather enjoyed it.

I believe your review has made me seem positively encouraging by comparison... thanks!
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433

So the Batman show without a Batman is still better than the Supes show with no Superman? Hmm... I rather enjoyed it.

I believe your review has made me seem positively encouraging by comparison... thanks!

I don't think Gotham is amazing or anything but I prefer there camp to Supergirl's. It is just a pilot so I will watch a few more episodes before I decide weather or not I want to keep watching it.
  • Options
    So is this where we lost @Matt and @grannygeekness ? Haven't seem them around these parts since...
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881

So is this where we lost @Matt and @grannygeekness ? Haven't seem them around these parts since...

I haven't seen the leaked pilot so I can't really comment on that, and I tend to drop out of conversations if it feels like I'm repeating things over and over again. I'm still reading the thread though.
    An example I could learn from.

I had to go with "Like" but I wish there was a button for "Wise".
  • Options
    Red Tornado is slated for an appearance on the show.

The Red Tornado!? Man, we are living in a comic book heaven when even the Tornado can show up on a TV superhero show!

ign.com/articles/2015/08/10/supergirl-producers-reveal-more-dc-characters-and-address-pre-debut-criticisms
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    The first thing about the show to give me pause...

http://io9.com/heres-your-first-official-look-of-supergirls-red-tornad-1731938973?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+io9/full+(io9)

I'm going to continue to think positive thoughts and assume that it will look better in motion or with post effects.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

The first thing about the show to give me pause...

http://io9.com/heres-your-first-official-look-of-supergirls-red-tornad-1731938973?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+io9/full+(io9)

I'm going to continue to think positive thoughts and assume that it will look better in motion or with post effects.

All I could think was, "Creative use of carpet cut offs".

• Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Looks better than Apocalypse in the upcoming X-Men movie. :)
  • Options
    It's TV budget, what did you expect?
  • Options

kgforce said:

I've seen it. Let me first say that, while I'd LIKE to post spoilers, I won't. Just because it's out doesn't mean everyone can watch it or even wants to. And, for all I know, even more news concerning the show will come out between now and then and I don't want to ruin the thread by people curious about the news stumbling upon the spoilers.

HERES WHAT I WILL SAY: Tonewise it's not Arrow. It's not Flash. It's not Gotham. It's not Constantine. Supergirl ABSOLUTELY is its own thing. The "threat" seemed haphazardly tossed together and I'm concerned with the potential for a "freak of the week" scenario. Kara herself is utterly fantastic. This is MY Kara. This is the eternally optimistic girl with an unextinguishable inner light that you can't help but admire and adore. You BELIEVE in her pure intentions to do good. And, when it comes right down to it, that's all I wanted from the pilot wether I saw it now or when it aired.

That said, this is DEFINITELY a pilot episode. You can totally tell. And I don't mean special effects wise. This is a completely new world and, right now, I don't care about any of the supporting cast, except, surprisingly, Jimmy Olsen. But, then again, it's a pilot episode for a daring new TV series. The goal for episode one is "make them care about Supergirl". In that, they succeed. I'll worry about and critique the supporting cast once we pass the point where they should have made us invested. The pilot isn't that episode.
    So what'd y'all think?! I shared my thoughts awhile back when I couldn't resist the temptation to checkout the leak. Anxious to hear your thoughts!

• Options
    It seems to have just as much of a possibility of having a freak of the week as The Flash did.

I enjoyed it. It started off with at least one cliche I wasn't crazy about, but they nipped that in the bud. It is already set to record on my DVR for every episode. We'll see if it remains high on my viewing order.
  • Options
    I enjoyed it as well, as did my wife and our 12 year old. The actress who plays Supergirl is very charming. I'll be watching again next week.