Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: X-Men Apocalypse

Bryan Singer has been confirmed as the director for the next installment of the X-Men franchise. The link below says the heroes will be joined by "young" Cyclops, Storm, & Jean Grey.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=108075

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I'm fairly certain this was confirmed back in May. The core cast of this series plus Quicksilver are also slated to be in the movie.

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    He probably just finalized his pay scale or FOX wanted to be sure that nasty boy toy in court business had been settled before firming up their final agreement.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Its amazing how badly First Class messed with some peoples perceptions. Last night I had a friend, relatively out of the blue say to me, "There's no way the X-Men movies are one series. They can't be. That's ridiculous."

• Options
    Planeis said:

Its amazing how badly First Class messed with some peoples perceptions. Last night I had a friend, relatively out of the blue say to me, "There's no way the X-Men movies are one series. They can't be. That's ridiculous."

I recall watching some fan's video blog (not sure how I came across it) asking for people to boycott First Class because it messed with the original movies & "the first class was Cyclops, Marvel Girl, Ice Man, Angel, & Beast!"

Wonder if that kid decided to change his mind?
  • Options
    Side bar: are people looking at this movie as an Abrams Star Trek reboot? I know we'll be getting a newly casted Scott, Jean, & Storm, but I look at it as just younger actors filling roles for a story set in the 80s, not a new set of movies.

M
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    edited September 2014
    I prefer the younger Scott, Jean. I feel like that's the way it should have been to begin with. I have always liked seeing the younger Mutants dealing with being Mutants. There's just something compelling to me about that more so than seeing full grown adults dealing with it.

And also now I think they can do whatever they want because I felt like with Day's Of Future Past they can easily say it didn't just erase X-Men 3 it changed whatever history of the first 3 movies that they want it to change.

• Options
    Matt said:

Side bar: are people looking at this movie as an Abrams Star Trek reboot? I know we'll be getting a newly casted Scott, Jean, & Storm, but I look at it as just younger actors filling roles for a story set in the 80s, not a new set of movies.

M

I don't think that's been confirmed yet.
  • Options
    Recast Talk for Apocalypse

""If we included some of the original X-Men like Storm, Jean and Scott and others in Apocalypse, yeah, we would have to recast them because Apocalypse takes place a good 20 years before X1, which now insanely was 10 to 15 years ago," Simon Kinberg told Yahoo Movies."

I note the presence of IF. That seems like a big IF in this case.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

Recast Talk for Apocalypse

""If we included some of the original X-Men like Storm, Jean and Scott and others in Apocalypse, yeah, we would have to recast them because Apocalypse takes place a good 20 years before X1, which now insanely was 10 to 15 years ago," Simon Kinberg told Yahoo Movies."

I note the presence of IF. That seems like a big IF in this case.

Here's what I've seen:

In December 2013, Singer announced the upcoming X-Men film, which will be titled X-Men: Apocalypse. Acting as a sequel to X-Men: Days of Future Past, it is scheduled to be released on May 27, 2016.Singer, Simon Kinberg, Dan Harris, and Michael Dougherty are working on the film.McAvoy, Fassbender, Hoult, Lawrence, and Peters will reprise their roles, while "some of the original cast" will return.According to Singer, the next film will focus on the origin of the mutants and will be "more of a First Class sequel".Kinberg said it will take place in 1983.The young versions of Cyclops, Jean Grey, and Storm are due to appear.

M
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    I think someone else should have been brought in to direct the film. I think Vaughn in one film in showcasing what the X-Men are all about than anyone else has done. I would have liked to have seen someone else take a shot at interpreting this characters.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    spid said:

I think someone else should have been brought in to direct the film. I think Vaughn in one film in showcasing what the X-Men are all about than anyone else has done. I would have liked to have seen someone else take a shot at interpreting this characters.

I enjoyed Days of Future Past, but I agree First Class had the strongest voice and style of any of the franchise so far. I would rather have seen what Vaughn could have continued to do (and do with that bigger budget).
  • Options
    David_D said:

spid said:

I enjoyed Days of Future Past, but I agree First Class had the strongest voice and style of any of the franchise so far. I would rather have seen what Vaughn could have continued to do (and do with that bigger budget).
    I think, other than the continuity things which have messed everyone up, you're right. It had a very strong style. But money talks and First Class performed horrible, but maybe that was the lack of Wolverine. For better or worse depending on your point of view, the entire franchise is basically built around Hugh Jackman and Wolverine.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Don't get me wrong Jackman was a spot on choice for wolverine and I appreciate his attitude and fan loyalty but I've always thought of the X-Men as an ensemble.
  • Options
    X-Men writer and producer Simon Kinberg answers fan questions about X-Men: Days OF Future Past, the other X-Men films and the future of X-Men: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/video/simon-kinberg-answers-questions-uncut-145216066.html
    “We changed the timeline for everything that came after ‘DOFP’ – so ‘X-Men 1’, 2 and 3, even ‘The Wolverine’. So Jean [Grey] was not killed in ‘Last Stand’, nor was Scott, and a whole lot of other things rippled…

The thrust of ‘Apocalypse’ is really to complete the trilogy we began with ‘First Class’ – to complete the stories of young Raven, young Hank, younger Charles and Erik. And complete this trilogy of four people who began the films sort of disparate and in different worlds…[and who] we’ve followed through the span of decades. So that’ll be the thrust. There will be familiar characters and new characters that we haven’t seen…ever…but it’ll be the completion of what we began in ‘First Class’.”
    I'm no serious fan of Mystique, so First Class is really just so-so to me. I would have preferred Marvel Girl, Cyclops, Iceman, Hank and Charles Xavier. This entire series from FOX Studios has never cared too much about continuity. Why start now?
  • Options
    My hope is that Cyclops Will finally get his moment to shine in one of these movies for once. He's basically done nothing in all the movies he's been in. He's one of the most important members of the X-Men so please FOX finally treat him like one.
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    Mihawk said:

My hope is that Cyclops Will finally get his moment to shine in one of these movies for once. He's basically done nothing in all the movies he's been in. He's one of the most important members of the X-Men so please FOX finally treat him like one.

He is?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    mphil said:

Mihawk said:

He is?
    Yes he is. He is "The" leader of X-Men the are other good leaders in X-Men history like Storm but Scott is the Captain America of the X-Men.

The Avengers always feel better for me when Cap is the leader. It's same way with Cyclops and the X-Men.

And in the last decade or so he's been a major player weather you like what they've done with his character or not he has been a very important character to the X books.
  • Options
    I agree that Scott Summers / Cyclops is an important and integral part of X-Men history. As a youngster he was one of my favorites. He was an effective, loyal, powerful, and inspiring leader. Something changed when he fell for Madelyne Pryor. I can't quantify if, but I never saw that character the same way afterwards. He just grated on my nerves and I frequently rolled my eyes whenever he intervened. His relationship to Wolverine probably didn't help that attitude.

When X-Factor debuted years later, some of that image was rehabilitated with Jean and Scott reuniting, but by then the dye had been cast. Therefore the Scott Summers that appeared in Bryan Singer's X-Men movie only served to further the stick-up-the-butt version of Cyclops.

I do feel like the Age of Apocalypse event in the comics got it right and I've heard good things about the new Cyclops solo series. I'm planning to pick it up when it's collected. Seeing a young Cyclops in the next movie presents a great opportunity for the series to nail that character and show him to be a real leader / true believer, but with Singer at the helm I'm merely anticipating call-backs to the original film's characterization, which again I didn't care for.
  • Options
    Mihawk said:

I blame the director. He had two whole movies with Cyclops and didn't do much. Sure, Ratner killed him off, but Ratner didn't write the movie and I find it hard to believe that was his decision alone, since one of the writers also helped write X2. They made Cyclops disposable.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Planeis said:

Mihawk said:

I blame the director. He had two whole movies with Cyclops and didn't do much. Sure, Ratner killed him off, but Ratner didn't write the movie and I find it hard to believe that was his decision alone, since one of the writers also helped write X2. They made Cyclops disposable.
    I seem to recall that was, at least in part, Halley Berry's (or her people's) doing. She wanted more and better screen time (this being the same time when they were talking about spinning her Jinx character off from the James Bond movie where she appeared.
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Mihawk said:

Uncanny X-Men #175 is one of my favorite issues and a great showcase for Scott. Mastermind has convinced the team the Scott is Dark Pheonix and they are all trying to take him down. Cyclops takes out the entire team, by himself, with a couple of cracked ribs (Colossus got a hit in). It is worth tracking down if you haven't read it. Some of that stuff from, say the early 170's through issue 200 is just straight up gold.
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Planeis said:

Mihawk said:

I seem to recall that was, at least in part, Halley Berry's (or her people's) doing. She wanted more and better screen time (this being the same time when they were talking about spinning her Jinx character off from the James Bond movie where she appeared.
    And also I recall the actor that played Cyclops also had a part in Bryan Singer's Superman movie which competed with X-Men 3. So there might have been backstage drama with that since if I remember they wanted Singer for X3 but turned it down for Superman.
  • Options
    Mihawk said:

hauberk said:

Planeis said:

Mihawk said:

And also I recall the actor that played Cyclops also had a part in Bryan Singer's Superman movie which competed with X-Men 3. So there might have been backstage drama with that since if I remember they wanted Singer for X3 but turned it down for Superman.
    Actually, from what I recall, Cyke was going to have a bigger role in X3, but since Marsden was also going to be doing Superman Returns, the role was trimmed down; same with Rogue. Paquin was originally up for a part in Superman Returns.

Singer did not turn down X3. He wanted to do it right after Superman Returns. The studio wanted it sooner, they they passed on him.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Mihawk said:

hauberk said:

Planeis said:

Mihawk said:

Actually, from what I recall, Cyke was going to have a bigger role in X3, but since Marsden was also going to be doing Superman Returns, the role was trimmed down; same with Rogue. Paquin was originally up for a part in Superman Returns.

Singer did not turn down X3. He wanted to do it right after Superman Returns. The studio wanted it sooner, they they passed on him.

M
    And look how that turned out for them....
  • Options
    hauberk said:

Matt said:

Mihawk said:

hauberk said:

Planeis said:

Mihawk said:

M
    Who? Fox or WB? The Last Stand worked out pretty good for them.
  • Options
    Planeis said:

hauberk said:

Matt said:

Mihawk said:

hauberk said:

Planeis said:

Mihawk said:

M
    Who? Fox or WB? The Last Stand worked out pretty good for them.
    Per IMDB:

X1: Budget $75M, Worldwide gross $296M (394%)
    X2: Budget $110M, Worldwide gross $407M (370%)
    X3: Budget $210M, Worldwide gross $459M (219$)

That's still a hell of a return, but also an incredible drop-off.

Otherwise, allow me to rephrase... and look how that turned out for us.

• Options
    hauberk said:

look how that turned out for us.

Correct, but oh well, it's no longer canon.

Just like every Star Wars game or comic you've ever read (except for the adaptations.)

• Options

hauberk said:

Just like every Star Wars game or comic you've ever read (except for the adaptations.)

So, the original Star Trek & TNG series & movies aren't canon either?!

M
  • Options

hauberk said:

That doesn't track for me. Those things are still out there and still internally consistent to one another. They may be contradicted by the new movies but otherwise, they're (at least the ones I read and enjoyed) still there in my personal history. Same as the pre-canon Marvel series.

X3, on the other hand, was a promise violated. We, as an audience, were treated to two quality Xmen offerings and then the lights went down and Brett Rattner gave is the cinematic equivelant of ExLax laced brownies... and got us to pay him for the experience.

I can selectively include or exclude offerings from my personal canon, (Dre)Xmen 3 include, but I'll never get that $7 or those 2 hours back.