Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: X-Men Apocalypse

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    bamfbamf said:

coz i'm a comic book fan and a comic book movie fan! even if the movie might suck

Fair enough. I just don't understand wasting time, money, & energy watching a movie I already have a preconceived notion of not liking.

M
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I'm surprised how faithful the Psylocke costume is. Need a back shot to see the floss to determine if it's 100% accurate...
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I'm surprised how faithful the Psylocke costume is. Need a back shot to see the floss to determine if it's 100% accurate...

When the cast was on Conan during the Comic Con, she stated it was faithful to the costume. They need to lube her up to get it on.

Since she's never done anything for me, it was easy to note the facts.

M
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    More Mohawk Storm please.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

More Mohawk Storm please.

I never have been a fan of that look.. But seeing it on screen, it is growing on me.. I kinda dig it...
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/15/x-men-apocalypse-meet-new-mutants

stupid facial tattoo look... didnt like it the x-men 2... dont like it now

• Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    WOW. That Apocalypse looks TERRIBLE. sniff. Sadness.
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/07/15/x-men-apocalypse-meet-new-mutants

stupid facial tattoo look... didnt like it the x-men 2... dont like it now

I always saw them as a form of branding. Self inflicted scarring. I never noticed ink in them.

M
  • Options
    AxelBrass said:

Let's all remember Quicksilver. And his bad wig. And his googles. And his leather jacket. And he still managed to be a good thing. Or going back further, Nightcrawler and his face tattoos, and leather jacket, or the x-men and their leather jackets..... Whoa, cows must hate Brian Singer.

Still, I finally saw DoFP and was mightily disappointed by the entire thing (save that one scene). I think I'll be skipping this one entirely. I only like maybe 2 of the X-movies, I'm not invested in the characters and probably haven't bought an x-men comic in 20 years. It's crazy how many a-list comic movies I feel fine with not seeing any more. I'll probably never watch BvS or any of the upcoming DC movies, or x-men or FF, I still haven't seen AoU and won't until it's free on Netflix in a year and a half. I'm on vacation so I'll probably see ant-man but after that? Cap 3 definitely, then if I never waited in line to see another one in the theaters I probably won't care.
  • Options

AxelBrass said:

Let's all remember Quicksilver. And his bad wig. And his googles. And his leather jacket. And he still managed to be a good thing. Or going back further, Nightcrawler and his face tattoos, and leather jacket, or the x-men and their leather jackets..... Whoa, cows must hate Brian Singer.

Still, I finally saw DoFP and was mightily disappointed by the entire thing (save that one scene). I think I'll be skipping this one entirely. I only like maybe 2 of the X-movies, I'm not invested in the characters and probably haven't bought an x-men comic in 20 years. It's crazy how many a-list comic movies I feel fine with not seeing any more. I'll probably never watch BvS or any of the upcoming DC movies, or x-men or FF, I still haven't seen AoU and won't until it's free on Netflix in a year and a half. I'm on vacation so I'll probably see ant-man but after that? Cap 3 definitely, then if I never waited in line to see another one in the theaters I probably won't care.
    Subjectively a "good thing." I still didn't care for any of his scenes, appearance, or portrayal. I actually preferred the version in AoU.

I know DoFP was Charles' story, but between The Wolverine & DoFP, I found Logan to be much more interesting then he has been in the comics for the last 20 years. I have stated for years I wouldn't want to be any of the superhero characters I read. After seeing those 2 movies, it'd want to be Logan.

I can't say I'll be there opening weekend for the DCCU films, GotG 2, or Doctor Strange, non-MCU movies (expection being Apocalypse & Old Man Logan), but my wife only has to see "Marvel Studios" & she wants to see it.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

AxelBrass said:

Subjectively a "good thing." I still didn't care for any of his scenes, appearance, or portrayal. I actually preferred the version in AoU.

I know DoFP was Charles' story, but between The Wolverine & DoFP, I found Logan to be much more interesting then he has been in the comics for the last 20 years. I have stated for years I wouldn't want to be any of the superhero characters I read. After seeing those 2 movies, it'd want to be Logan.

I can't say I'll be there opening weekend for the DCCU films, GotG 2, or Doctor Strange, non-MCU movies (expection being Apocalypse & Old Man Logan), but my wife only has to see "Marvel Studios" & she wants to see it.

M
    Marvel's Studios has trained her well....
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Thinking aloud, I wonder if Logan joins the team at the very end? The timeline has been altered, Jackman has been in all the movies thus far. Imagine if he is revealed as a Horsemen? Or winds up fighting with the team in the end. Charles mind melded with him in DoFP, so he'd at least know about Logan to keep an eye out for him.

Plus, Joshua Helman (Stryker from DoFP) was mentioned being on set when some of the cast was on Conan.

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    From what was gleaned from SDCC, it looks like Logan will definitely be in the movie (Hugh Jackman made an appearance at the SDCC X-Men panel) - but it also looks like the horsemen will be Storm, Psylocke, Magneto, and Archangel.

As for Apocalypse, has anyone else heard these comparisons to Ivan Ooze from the Power Rangers? In that clip he looks terrible!

• Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368

From what was gleaned from SDCC, it looks like Logan will definitely be in the movie (Hugh Jackman made an appearance at the SDCC X-Men panel) - but it also looks like the horsemen will be Storm, Psylocke, Magneto, and Archangel.

As for Apocalypse, has anyone else heard these comparisons to Ivan Ooze from the Power Rangers? In that clip he looks terrible!

I personally can't wait for the scene in which the X-Men transform the Blackbird into a giant robot and kick Oozepocalypse in the nuts.

• Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Mr_Cosmic said:

I am surprised too. Especially given how much this series has shied away from the more fun costume designs. Seen a couple photos of the X-Men and it seems like they are back to being in black, this time with what looks like Batman style pads/armor
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    No idea what to think of this yet. I'm confident it'll be on par with everything that's come before X wise. No reason to think one will suck or be exceptional. I am ready and interested in seeing some new blood, ideas and takes for this franchise though.
    I hope it's a bit more satisfying than DOFP. Which I liked ok but felt like a rehash of first class and a big "been there done that seen it already" vibe to me. So this could either bring me back or turn me away.
  • Options
    batlaw said:

No idea what to think of this yet. I'm confident it'll be on par with everything that's come before X wise. No reason to think one will suck or be exceptional. I am ready and interested in seeing some new blood, ideas and takes for this franchise though.
    I hope it's a bit more satisfying than DOFP. Which I liked ok but felt like a rehash of first class and a big "been there done that seen it already" vibe to me. So this could either bring me back or turn me away.

YES! I CANT WAIT FOR SINGER TO STOP DIRECTING X-MEN MOVIES! If the X-Men were not such beloved characters, Singer's movies would tank. We need better talent working on the X-Men!!!
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

batlaw said:

YES! I CANT WAIT FOR SINGER TO STOP DIRECTING X-MEN MOVIES! If the X-Men were not such beloved characters, Singer's movies would tank. We need better talent working on the X-Men!!!
    Arguably, wasn't it Singer's X-Men movies that helped launch Marvel into movies?

Isn't Superman more beloved then the X-Men? Superman Returns didn't tank, but it wasn't profitable enough to warrant a sequel.

M
  • Options
    i actually REALLY liked Singer's Superman...

just not a huge fan of his X-Men

X-Men 1 was only good, because we have had never seen a group of superheroes together before
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Matt said:

Thinking aloud, I wonder if Logan joins the team at the very end? The timeline has been altered, Jackman has been in all the movies thus far. Imagine if he is revealed as a Horsemen? Or winds up fighting with the team in the end. Charles mind melded with him in DoFP, so he'd at least know about Logan to keep an eye out for him.

Plus, Joshua Helman (Stryker from DoFP) was mentioned being on set when some of the cast was on Conan.

M

I'm rather fond of Wolverine as a horseman of Apocalypse.
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

i actually REALLY liked Singer's Superman...

just not a huge fan of his X-Men

X-Men 1 was only good, because we have had never seen a group of superheroes together before

Interesting. You liked Superman Return (I would too if that kid was deleted from the final cut), but you state X-Men deserve better talent.

M
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    i mean directing talent

Singer he hasnt made a good movie since 2006? superman? even then, most people hated it.. so his last good movie was 2000?? x-men? how's hack still working?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001741/#director

X-Men: Apocalypse (filming)
    2015 Broadway 4D (post-production)
    2015 Battle Creek (TV Series) (1 episode)
    - The Battle Creek Way (2015)
    2014 X-Men: Days of Future Past
    2013 Jack the Giant Slayer
    2012 Mockingbird Lane (TV Movie)
    2008 Valkyrie
    2007 Football Wives (TV Movie)
    2006 Superman Returns
    2004 House M.D. (TV Series) (2 episodes)
    - Occam's Razor (2004)
    - Pilot (2004)
    2003 X-Men 2
    2000 X-Men
    1998 Apt Pupil
    1995 The Usual Suspects
    1993 Public Access
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

i mean directing talent

Singer he hasnt made a good movie since 2006? superman? even then, most people hated it.. so his last good movie was 2000?? x-men? how's hack still working?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001741/#director

X-Men: Apocalypse (filming)
    2015 Broadway 4D (post-production)
    2015 Battle Creek (TV Series) (1 episode)
    - The Battle Creek Way (2015)
    2014 X-Men: Days of Future Past
    2013 Jack the Giant Slayer
    2012 Mockingbird Lane (TV Movie)
    2008 Valkyrie
    2007 Football Wives (TV Movie)
    2006 Superman Returns
    2004 House M.D. (TV Series) (2 episodes)
    - Occam's Razor (2004)
    - Pilot (2004)
    2003 X-Men 2
    2000 X-Men
    1998 Apt Pupil
    1995 The Usual Suspects
    1993 Public Access

There's some subjectivity in that post. You could state he hasn't made a non-comic book based box office success in over a decade, but you can't say "since 2006"; especially using Superman Returns as the deciding line (especially after stating you liked it).

And I would note most people would state X2 was better then X-Men.

"Good" is subjective.

M
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    Matt said:

Arguably, wasn't it Singer's X-Men movies that helped launch Marvel into movies?

I was thinking it was Blade (1998) from New Line Cinema that launched Marvel into movies, but some might argue it was the godawful Howard the Duck. My reasoning for Blade is that both Avi Arad and Stan Lee were executive producers. And along with the prerequisite David Goyer screenplay, both Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan got on-screen credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX5_m0AwqPA

• Options

Matt said:

I was thinking it was Blade (1998) from New Line Cinema that launched Marvel into movies, but some might argue it was the godawful Howard the Duck. My reasoning for Blade is that both Avi Arad and Stan Lee were executive producers. And along with the prerequisite David Goyer screenplay, both Marv Wolfman and Gene Colan got on-screen credits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xX5_m0AwqPA

I'd say the same with Blade, that's why I put "helped". I'm not certain if Blade did well, but X-Men bombed they'd be moving forward quite like they did.

M
  • Options
    I would agree. I think that if nothing else, X-Men put superhero movies back on the radar of acceptable motion picture entertainment. It was the palette cleanser the movie-going public needed after 1997's abysmal Batman & Robin.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Here's the thing I've noticed about the X-Men franchise taken as a whole: Of any series it's remained one thing - consistent. Now you could say consistently mediocre, consistently good enough, etc. But stack it up against most other series that have been around as long, and frankly, it's been a GOOD series.

The first three movies, the first two in particular, were quite good. Three is arguably the weakest link but still had its moments of coolness. I enjoyed both Wolverine movies, and I'm not a huge Wolverine fan to begin with. First Class and Days of FP were both good as well.

Notice I never said great. X2 to me is the standout but overall the series has been consistent. There is no Batman & Robin, Superman Returns, Blade II, etc...I could sit through an entire marathon of the X-series from beginning to end and be entertained (and butt-numb! :) ).

Time will tell if other series like Captain America (2 awesome movies and counting!) will up the ante (if they haven't already), but I don't malign the X-Men movies and their offshoots because I think they've done the best job thus far of providing great entertainment that appeals to the diehards and the newcomers alike.
  • Options
    X-Men: Days of Future Past - What’s the Difference?

https://youtu.be/yt1dX37js0s
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Torchsong said:

Here's the thing I've noticed about the X-Men franchise taken as a whole: Of any series it's remained one thing - consistent. Now you could say consistently mediocre, consistently good enough, etc. But stack it up against most other series that have been around as long, and frankly, it's been a GOOD series.

The first three movies, the first two in particular, were quite good. Three is arguably the weakest link but still had its moments of coolness. I enjoyed both Wolverine movies, and I'm not a huge Wolverine fan to begin with. First Class and Days of FP were both good as well.

Notice I never said great. X2 to me is the standout but overall the series has been consistent. There is no Batman & Robin, Superman Returns, Blade II, etc...I could sit through an entire marathon of the X-series from beginning to end and be entertained (and butt-numb! :) ).

Time will tell if other series like Captain America (2 awesome movies and counting!) will up the ante (if they haven't already), but I don't malign the X-Men movies and their offshoots because I think they've done the best job thus far of providing great entertainment that appeals to the diehards and the newcomers alike.

I disagree. I think the quality of these movies fluctuates wildly. The original xmen from 2000 has not aged well. I understand that it hold a pivotal place I the history of comic movies and we would certainly not have most of the geeky cinematic goodness we have today without it but seriously there is some terrible dialogue in that movie. Tyler mane's sabertooth? Terrible. Toad? Terrible. Storm? "What happens when a toad gets hit by lightning? Same as everything else". Terrible. The two standalone wolverine movies are not good. The first is significantly worse, of course and in my opinion hits Batman & Robin levels of ridiculousness. First Class however was blisteringly good from start to finish. It is far and away my favorite of the bunch. Xmen two is probably me next favorite but that is mostly because my love of nightcrawler really transcends reason. But don't get me started with that goofy angelic tattoo shit. Where was I? Oh yeah quality. Varies wildly.
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    random73 said:

Torchsong said:

I disagree. I think the quality of these movies fluctuates wildly. The original xmen from 2000 has not aged well. I understand that it hold a pivotal place I the history of comic movies and we would certainly not have most of the geeky cinematic goodness we have today without it but seriously there is some terrible dialogue in that movie. Tyler mane's sabertooth? Terrible. Toad? Terrible. Storm? "What happens when a toad gets hit by lightning? Same as everything else". Terrible. The two standalone wolverine movies are not good. The first is significantly worse, of course and in my opinion hits Batman & Robin levels of ridiculousness. First Class however was blisteringly good from start to finish. It is far and away my favorite of the bunch. Xmen two is probably me next favorite but that is mostly because my love of nightcrawler really transcends reason. But don't get me started with that goofy angelic tattoo shit. Where was I? Oh yeah quality. Varies wildly.
    What do you have against The Wolverine?

And I understand you weren't a fan of Wagner's tattoos (truthfully, I've never seen them), but what did you think about his scarring? It made sense for the version presented.

M