Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Captain America: Civil War-- NON-SPOILER THREAD

Comments

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Hex said:

WetRats said:

Hex said:

I think it was was probably the best cross-over event that Marvel has done in the last decade.

That's rather like saying "the best root canal surgery I ever had." :D
    HA! I'm not a big fan of the annual force-feed massive crossover either, but I do think Civil War was the best of the most recent "events". I think it had some great moments, and it was probably the one that had the most impact/change going forward.
    I can agree with that.

Civil War was also the first time I personally saw people get pissed over a cover. (Spider-Man fighting the Goblin, Bullseye, and Venom? Yeah that didn't happen)

It was also the first time I saw people (fans and retailers) get pissed over delays.

(To be fair, it was a Civil War and Infinite Crisis that brought me back into reading comics weekly. So obvious things to you guys were things I hadn't fully experienced before)
  • Options
    Hex said:

WetRats said:

Hex said:

I think it was was probably the best cross-over event that Marvel has done in the last decade.

That's rather like saying "the best root canal surgery I ever had." :D
    HA! I'm not a big fan of the annual force-feed massive crossover either, but I do think Civil War was the best of the most recent "events". I think it had some great moments, and it was probably the one that had the most impact/change going forward.
    Civil War was the last event I enjoyed. And while the heroes vs heroes trope is played out for us, for the general movie going audience it's probably going to be an exciting proposition.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited October 2014
    WetRats said:

This article also refers to Cap 3 leading into Avengers 4.

Cap 3 is scheduled to come out before Avengers 3.

I smell fish.

That would make sense if the rumors about a Cap-less Avengers 3 are true though.

How awesome would it be if the major proponent of the SHRA was Senator Dell Rusk?
  • Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    WetRats said:

This article also refers to Cap 3 leading into Avengers 4.

Cap 3 is scheduled to come out before Avengers 3.

I smell fish.

fish smells an awful lot like stupid.
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    edited October 2014
    I don't really believe the "Civil War" part of the announcement. But I do believe Iron Man will be in Cap 3. No Iron Man 4 though.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    I cannot recall where, but somewhere I read Avengers 3 will actually have 2 parts to it (thanks Harry Potter, Twilight, and Hunger Games!!!). If it is long enough to be divided into 2 parts, we could get a civil war-type story.

M
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Meh. I had no interest in Civil War when it was happening and have no interest in seeing it on screen in any capacity. Hopefully it's a rumor and nothing more.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Matt said:

I cannot recall where, but somewhere I read Avengers 3 will actually have 2 parts to it (thanks Harry Potter, Twilight, and Hunger Games!!!). If it is long enough to be divided into 2 parts, we could get a civil war-type story.

M

I've heard the same regarding a possible two parts, but I figured it would have something to do with the Infinity Gauntlet.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited October 2014
    The thing about all this that annoys me the most is (if true) we're being deprived of an actual Captain America 3 in favor of this ... thing.

• Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    WetRats said:

The thing about all this that annoys me the most is (if true) we're being deprived of an actual Captain America 3 in favor of this ... thing.

What he said.
  • Options
    It also seems like a massive redirect of Feige's big multi-year plan just to stroke Downey's ego.

I feel like I'm watching the Johnny Depp trajectory all over again.

Maybe Iron Man's next armor will have a dead crow on the helmet.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

It also seems like a massive redirect of Feige's big multi-year plan just to stroke Downey's ego.

Could be a transference instead!!

M
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I concur. I recall when Batman was announced to be in the Kent sequel, I thought Kent was going to get overshadowed in his own sequel. It's been announced BvS:DoJ will actually be the next in the DCCU, not a MoS sequel.

Is this Marvel's way to mirror BvS:DoJ? According to some idiots on this DC forum I scour over, Marvel copies everything from DC; Stark is just an armored Bruce Wayne & Cap (and Thor) is just a human Kent. Since Cap & Stark are essentially like (in status, not characters) the World's Finest for Marvel Studio, is this a way for Marvel to do something similar?

M
  • Options
    WetRats said:

I think Marvel and Feige have worked very deliberately to build the MCU. I don't think they/he would allow an ego maniac to topple that. I'm also not sure that is what is happening. there is a huge amount of speculating going on here. Downey may just be a buzz generating machine. if we're talking about it, good or bad, its buzz. RDJ excells at that. I still have confidence these cats know what they're doing. Esp after Guardians of the Galaxy.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    WetRats said:

To be fair-- Winter Solider, while called a Captain America movie, might as well have been called Cap & Black Widow & Falcon. (And I'm not complaining, I loved that movie, and was glad we got so much of those characters as well).

I don't know that this is so much about Downey wanting to make this about him as it is that Marvel is trying to make the later solo movies feel like (and sell like) Avengers movies. I would guess that, if there is going to be a Thor 3, there would also be the Hulk in it, or something like that.

I trust them. They have not let me down yet*.

*Okay. Iron Man 2 could have been better. But it wasn't bad.
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    WetRats said:

Agreed.
  • Options
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

To be fair-- Winter Solider, while called a Captain America movie, might as well have been called Cap & Black Widow & Falcon. (And I'm not complaining, I loved that movie, and was glad we got so much of those characters as well).

I don't know that this is so much about Downey wanting to make this about him as it is that Marvel is trying to make the later solo movies feel like (and sell like) Avengers movies. I would guess that, if there is going to be a Thor 3, there would also be the Hulk in it, or something like that.

I trust them. They have not let me down yet*.

*Okay. Iron Man 2 could have been better. But it wasn't bad.
    I recall in the SDCC panel, RDJ acknowledged that with each new movie his role gets less important...and he was happy about it.

M
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

ItI don't know that this is so much about Downey wanting to make this about him as it is that Marvel is trying to make the later solo movies feel like (and sell like) Avengers movies. I would guess that, if there is going to be a Thor 3, there would also be the Hulk in it, or something like that.

Hulk in Thor 3 sounds, well, AWESOME!
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

the Kent sequel

I feel like I should start typing "Wayne" every time I mean "Batman", just to provide some counter-absurdity...
    Counter Absurdity sounds like an Arabic punk band. Their cover of the Cure's Killing an Arab is super edgy and controvertial. consequently it is flying up the indy charts.
  • Options
    random73 said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

the Kent sequel

I feel like I should start typing "Wayne" every time I mean "Batman", just to provide some counter-absurdity...
    Counter Absurdity sounds like an Arabic punk band. Their cover of the Cure's Killing an Arab is super edgy and controvertial. consequently it is flying up the indy charts.
    I always mix them up with Kountar Abzurdity, the late-90s Czechnopop band.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

the Kent sequel

Didn't Johnette Napolitano tour with them for a while? She sang lead on a Eurothemics cover. The band's only top 10 hit if I remember right.
  • Options
    random73 said:

WetRats said:

random73 said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

the Kent sequel

Didn't Johnette Napolitano tour with them for a while?
    She was supposed to, but things fell apart pretty quickly after that brawl in Vienna.*

*That was the fight that inspired The Black and Blue Danube Waltz.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    WetRats said:

random73 said:

WetRats said:

random73 said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

the Kent sequel

She was supposed to, but things fell apart pretty quickly after that brawl in Vienna.*

Oh yeah! They reformed briefly as The Bruise after that. Then The Ugly Bruise, The Green and Getting a Bit Better Bruise and finally the Artists Formerly Known as Bruise. That was followed by the loss of a drummer to sugar cube addiction. The singer and guitarist toured for a while as Purple Sugar in memory of the lost drummer.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

the Kent sequel

If you want. I know you're one of those who don't believe Bruce Wayne is the mask.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

the Kent sequel

If you want. I know you're one of those who don't believe Bruce Wayne is the mask.

M
    weird. people actually take that position? That is one of the things that makes Sups unique. For him Kent is the disguise. I would hate to steal that uniquness of character and apply it to Batman. That doesn't even make any damn sense.
  • Options
    random73 said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

the Kent sequel

M
    weird. people actually take that position? That is one of the things that makes Sups unique. For him Kent is the disguise. I would hate to steal that uniquness of character and apply it to Batman. That doesn't even make any damn sense.
    Nah, Kent/Kal-El is a superman regardless of his hair curled, red/blue/gold suit.

Batman is Batman. It's why he wears the cowl in the cave constantly, why he doesn't worry about a social life & serious dating, and it's his primary mindset. It's like being a covert op; you're constantly working. It's a lifestyle, not a career or hobby.

Reading a year's worth of Batman issues & seeing virtually no "Bruce Wayne" isn't out of place. Reading a year's worth of Kent issues & not seeing Clark seems out of place.

M
  • Options
    random73 said:

WetRats said:

random73 said:

WetRats said:

random73 said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

the Kent sequel

Oh yeah! They reformed briefly as The Bruise after that. Then The Ugly Bruise, The Green and Getting a Bit Better Bruise and finally the Artists Formerly Known as Bruise. That was followed by the loss of a drummer to sugar cube addiction. The singer and guitarist toured for a while as Purple Sugar in memory of the lost drummer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR2i2krUkBc
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited October 2014
    random73 said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

the Kent sequel

M
    See I never saw it that way. I grew up during the bronze/modern age and I always had the impression that Clark Kent was a person who was just Clark Kent (super-powered for sure) for 30 years and then donned the cape to be a symbol of Justice and whatever, but that underneath that Clark Kent is the real person, Kal-El is a real person but Superman is an ideal he strives to represent. And Batman looks at Bruce Wayne the same way he does a Batarang or his bank account, a useful tool, one he would leave behind the minute it no longer serves his purpose.

I think in the Silver Age that dynamic was reversed, Superman was a God who pretended to be a man and Batman a man who thought it was his civic duty to fight crime with the resources at his disposal but with a secret identity to protect his loved ones and strike fear into criminals.
  • Options

random73 said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

the Kent sequel

M
    See I never saw it that way. I grew up during the bronze/modern age and I always had the impression that Clark Kent was a person who was just Clark Kent (super-powered for sure) for 30 years and then donned the cape to be a symbol of Justice and whatever, but that underneath that Clark Kent is the real person, Kal-El is a real person but Superman is an ideal he strives to represent. And Batman looks at Bruce Wayne the same way he does a Batarang or his bank account, a useful tool, one he would leave behind the minute it no longer serves his purpose.

I think in the Silver Age that dynamic was reversed, Superman was a God who pretended to be a man and Batman a man who thought it was his civic duty to fight crime with the resources at his disposal but with a secret identity to protect his loved ones and strike fear into criminals.
    What he said.

M