Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Movie News: Captain America: Civil War-- NON-SPOILER THREAD

Comments

• Options
    matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    WetRats said:

The thing about all this that annoys me the most is (if true) we're being deprived of an actual Captain America 3 in favor of this ... thing.

Abso! Fuckin! Lutely! Pardon my French.

No Iron Man in the last two Iron Man movies so he gets to be in Captain America? Maybe negotiations fall through.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

WetRats said:

The thing about all this that annoys me the most is (if true) we're being deprived of an actual Captain America 3 in favor of this ... thing.

Abso! Fuckin! Lutely! Pardon my French.

No Iron Man in the last two Iron Man movies so he gets to be in Captain America? Maybe negotiations fall through.
    ?? I'll have to rewatch those 2 Iron Man movies again.

M
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

It also seems like a massive redirect of Feige's big multi-year plan just to stroke Downey's ego.

I feel like I'm watching the Johnny Depp trajectory all over again.

Maybe Iron Man's next armor will have a dead crow on the helmet.

To be fair-- Winter Solider, while called a Captain America movie, might as well have been called Cap & Black Widow & Falcon. (And I'm not complaining, I loved that movie, and was glad we got so much of those characters as well).

I don't know that this is so much about Downey wanting to make this about him as it is that Marvel is trying to make the later solo movies feel like (and sell like) Avengers movies. I would guess that, if there is going to be a Thor 3, there would also be the Hulk in it, or something like that.

I trust them. They have not let me down yet*.

*Okay. Iron Man 2 could have been better. But it wasn't bad.
    It is funny anyone who had been reading Cap comics for the last 10 years would have been reading a book starring Cap and co-staring various combinations of Falcon, Black Widow, and Bucky so the movie was an actual reflection of what many believe to be best run of Cap ever.

I loved Civil War. I thought it was awesome big stakes comics done right. Just like the Winter Soldier only took some core story concepts from the comic and put them in the movie I expect any Civil War title will stick to the basic concepts. A concept that would fit well with the events of Cap 2.

• Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    edited October 2014
    WetRats said:

I really doubt Superhuman Registration will be the issue.

The MCU just isn't heavily-populated/infested with enough superhumans at this point.

Sound more like a post-SHIELD, post-Ultron conflict between Stark and Cap.

Although I'm hoping this is a misdirect, and it's really a stepping-up of the Hydra storyline or the Inhumans/Miracles/Marvels concept.

They have plenty of movies and tv shows planned between now to Cap 3 to add more heroes.

• Options
    random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

the Kent sequel

I feel like I should start typing "Wayne" every time I mean "Batman", just to provide some counter-absurdity...
    If you want. I know you're one of those who don't believe Bruce Wayne is the mask.

M
    weird. people actually take that position? That is one of the things that makes Sups unique. For him Kent is the disguise. I would hate to steal that uniquness of character and apply it to Batman. That doesn't even make any damn sense.
    See I never saw it that way. I grew up during the bronze/modern age and I always had the impression that Clark Kent was a person who was just Clark Kent (super-powered for sure) for 30 years and then donned the cape to be a symbol of Justice and whatever, but that underneath that Clark Kent is the real person, Kal-El is a real person but Superman is an ideal he strives to represent. And Batman looks at Bruce Wayne the same way he does a Batarang or his bank account, a useful tool, one he would leave behind the minute it no longer serves his purpose.

I think in the Silver Age that dynamic was reversed, Superman was a God who pretended to be a man and Batman a man who thought it was his civic duty to fight crime with the resources at his disposal but with a secret identity to protect his loved ones and strike fear into criminals.
    What he said.

M
    I apparently have a silver age mentality. and i'm comfortable with that.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    random73 said:

I apparently have a silver age mentality. and i'm comfortable with that.

Me too.

Although I never saw Superman as a god pretending to be a man, but rather a man with god-like powers who was too fundamentally decent to abuse them.*

*Other than the occasional bit of super-dickery, of course. ;)
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I really don't need Stark in Cap 3.

I would have loved the idea before Cap 2. But after that... I just don't need *him* in it, doing the Civil War Story.

Hell, I don't even need the Civil War story in it!
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

I really don't need Stark in Cap 3.

I would have loved the idea before Cap 2. But after that... I just don't need *him* in it, doing the Civil War Story.

Hell, I don't even need the Civil War story in it!

I wish I still had my old "I'm With Axel" graphic.
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited October 2014
    spid said:

It is funny anyone who had been reading Cap comics for the last 10 years would have been reading a book starring Cap and co-staring various combinations of Falcon, Black Widow, and Bucky so the movie was an actual reflection of what many believe to be best run of Cap ever.

That is bang on.
    spid said:

I loved Civil War. I thought it was awesome big stakes comics done right. Just like the Winter Soldier only took some core story concepts from the comic and put them in the movie I expect any Civil War title will stick to the basic concepts. A concept that would fit well with the events of Cap 2.

Civil War is basically a Cap story extended throughout the Marvel universe. It is a story about civil rights and no character has represented that theme better than Cap in various stories throughout his long run.

that, and the The Russo Brothers are at the helm again... so we're in good hands.
  • Options
    Hex said:

spid said:

That is bang on.
    spid said:

Civil War basically a Cap story extended throughout the Marvel universe. It is a story about civil rights and no character has represented that theme better than Cap in various stories throughout his long run.

that, and the The Russo Brothers are at the helm again... so we're in good hands.
    The Russo Brothers work with All State?
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    random73 said:

Hex said:

spid said:

That is bang on.
    spid said:

Civil War basically a Cap story extended throughout the Marvel universe. It is a story about civil rights and no character has represented that theme better than Cap in various stories throughout his long run.

Insurance nerd! :-h
  • Options
    hauberk said:

random73 said:

Hex said:

spid said:

That is bang on.
    spid said:

Insurance nerd! :-h
    you have NO idea... :-B
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

the Kent sequel

I feel like I should start typing "Wayne" every time I mean "Batman", just to provide some counter-absurdity...
    If you want. I know you're one of those who don't believe Bruce Wayne is the mask.

M
    weird. people actually take that position? That is one of the things that makes Sups unique. For him Kent is the disguise. I would hate to steal that uniquness of character and apply it to Batman. That doesn't even make any damn sense.
    Nah, Kent/Kal-El is a superman regardless of his hair curled, red/blue/gold suit.

Batman is Batman. It's why he wears the cowl in the cave constantly, why he doesn't worry about a social life & serious dating, and it's his primary mindset. It's like being a covert op; you're constantly working. It's a lifestyle, not a career or hobby.

Reading a year's worth of Batman issues & seeing virtually no "Bruce Wayne" isn't out of place. Reading a year's worth of Kent issues & not seeing Clark seems out of place.

M
    I know this is supposed to be a Cap discussion, and that everything can become a Batman discussion (or a sports one). . . but that is really well put. Personally I still see him as Wayne rather than Batman. . . but I think that Wayne as a character always feels like he is Batman. So to him, Wayne is definitely always a performance. . . but that is because Bruce Wayne is that troubled. (And that interesting of a character)
  • Options
    spid said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

It also seems like a massive redirect of Feige's big multi-year plan just to stroke Downey's ego.

To be fair-- Winter Solider, while called a Captain America movie, might as well have been called Cap & Black Widow & Falcon. (And I'm not complaining, I loved that movie, and was glad we got so much of those characters as well).

I don't know that this is so much about Downey wanting to make this about him as it is that Marvel is trying to make the later solo movies feel like (and sell like) Avengers movies. I would guess that, if there is going to be a Thor 3, there would also be the Hulk in it, or something like that.

I trust them. They have not let me down yet*.

*Okay. Iron Man 2 could have been better. But it wasn't bad.

I'm with you on that-- the strong partnerships and big roles for people other than Cap are a longtime part of his comics, and a part of the amazing Brubaker/Epting/et all run. So I guess a better way I could have said it is that Winter Soldier is not only already more of an Avengers movie than The First Avenger. . . it is also more of a Marvel comic. And so word that Iron Man might be in 3, or that it might part of a version of Civil War doesn't bother me, because I don't go to a Cap movie expecting (or hoping) to see ONLY him. Rather, I just want it to have the feel and tone of a Cap movie. And something that goes in the Civil War direction could totally do that. In fact, it actually seems an organic continuation of the tensions with SHIELD (and the question of how much power we want to give those we task with our safety) we saw in Winter Soldier.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

You don't know that. Let's look at the facts: the script for Cap 3 was written by the same guys who wrote both the first two Cap movies; it's being directed by the Russos, who did a bang-up job with Winter Soldier; Kevin Feige has known the trajectory of Cap's story for a very long time, even knowing the subtitle of the third film (and presumably, the first two, as well) for years. All we've really heard is that there has been some script tweaking--both to give Iron Man a bigger part and to take him out entirely. But it's still a Cap movie at its core. You've got Cap's supporting cast, not Iron Man's, presumably Cap's villains, and lastly, there HAS TO BE a natural progression of the story from Winter Soldier. They are not so stupid as to just go in a completely different direction and ignore everything that happened before. Yeah, they're making a lot of money here, but they are making money by telling good stories. All this adds up to one thing: consistency. If you liked the first two Cap movies, I can guarantee that you're going to love Cap 3. Guarantee it.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    In the past, it has been argued on the forum and on the show, that the movies don't help sell the comics. And that might be the case when it comes to periodical ("floppy") issues in the shop. But I think that has long NOT been the case in the book and now digital markets.

A case in point-- look what simply a RUMOR of an upcoming movie has done to sales of a certain seven year old Marvel story. (And I saw reporting that a few days ago, it got up to #2 on the overall graphic novel charts on Amazon)
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    edited October 2014
    WetRats said:

I don't think its about Downey. I think its about Iron Man. Marvel looks at IM as the money maker. They want to expand the scope of each movie and this is a way to do that, and as a bonus, get IM into the movie for more $$$$

Edit: And by IM being the money maker, keep in mind that Cap 2 and Guardians of the Galaxy, combined for 1.5 billion dollars around the world. Iron Man 3, by itself, earned 1.2 billion dollars. That's what I mean by IM being the money maker.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited October 2014
    Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

the Kent sequel

M
    Nah, Kent/Kal-El is a superman regardless of his hair curled, red/blue/gold suit.

Batman is Batman. It's why he wears the cowl in the cave constantly, why he doesn't worry about a social life & serious dating, and it's his primary mindset. It's like being a covert op; you're constantly working. It's a lifestyle, not a career or hobby.

Reading a year's worth of Batman issues & seeing virtually no "Bruce Wayne" isn't out of place. Reading a year's worth of Kent issues & not seeing Clark seems out of place.

M
    And yet, if you plan to stick with "Gotham" the tv series, you're prepared to watch a show about Batman's origins for as long as it airs -without Batman.
    Hex said:

spid said:

That is bang on.
    spid said:

Civil War is basically a Cap story extended throughout the Marvel universe. It is a story about civil rights and no character has represented that theme better than Cap in various stories throughout his long run.

I agree 100%. Marvel is on a roll and I am tickled about this age we're in and proud of Marvel for righting the ship after so many wrong moves with their properties in the movies in decades past.

And I have been hearing things about Sony and Marvel for weeks now, so prepare to have your minds blown (if you're a Spidey fan).
  • Options

And I have been hearing things about Sony and Marvel for weeks now, so prepare to have your minds blown (if you're a Spidey fan).

I've also been hearing things about getting Spidey back into the fold. It totally makes (spidey) sense to plug Spider-man into the success of the current batch of Marvel movies. It would be in EVERYONE's best interest, and all parties would benefit.
    However, I'm not gonna hold my breath. Given the complicated legal rights, it only takes one overblown ego for the whole arrangement to go down the toilet, and there are too many egos at the table.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    From today's Marvel Live Event

"Let's talk about Phase Three," Feige said. First revelation: The full title of the third "Captain America" film is "Captain America: Serpent Society," which is scheduled for May 6, 2016.
  • Options
    GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    Booo!!!

Feige was joking about the subtitle for the "Captain America" movie, and confirmed that "Captain America 3" is actually "Captain America: Civil War."
  • Options
    Boo! Now I have to change the topic title again
  • Options
    Hex said:

I've also been hearing things about getting Spidey back into the fold. It totally makes (spidey) sense to plug Spider-man into the success of the current batch of Marvel movies. It would be in EVERYONE's best interest, and all parties would benefit.
    However, I'm not gonna hold my breath. Given the complicated legal rights, it only takes one overblown ego for the whole arrangement to go down the toilet, and there are too many egos at the table.
    Looks like Sony and Marvel have yet to come to terms... but the rest of today's announcements were awesome. I noticed no details on Cumberbatch or the Netflix shows. Marvel Studios has a lot of work on their plate.
  • Options

... but the rest of today's announcements were awesome.

What were those announcements!?! Coles notes please!

• Options
    Hex said:

... but the rest of today's announcements were awesome.

What were those announcements!?! Coles notes please!

See here

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

the Kent sequel

M

M
    And yet, if you plan to stick with "Gotham" the tv series, you're prepared to watch a show about Batman's origins for as long as it airs -without Batman.
    Hex said:

spid said:

That is bang on.
    spid said:

I agree 100%. Marvel is on a roll and I am tickled about this age we're in and proud of Marvel for righting the ship after so many wrong moves with their properties in the movies in decades past.

Stick with Gotham? Me? I've not watch a minute of the series.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Matt said:

random73 said:

Matt said:

WetRats said:

Matt said:

the Kent sequel

M

M
    Hex said:

spid said:

That is bang on.
    spid said:

Stick with Gotham? Me? I've not watch a minute of the series.

M
    There were three or four other people in that thread, so it was technically directed at the royal "you" - whomever had begun watching the show, if anyone. It was a contrast of the comic's penchant for not showing Bruce for issues at a time.
  • Options

Wasn't reading comics at the time. How was the "Civil War" arc received?

I don't know how it was received by the general public but to a Spider-Man fan like myself it was received like a bullet to the testicles and I'll always remember it as "The Road To 'One More Day'." I've since started going to a support group twice a week to learn to live with it. The guy who organizes the meetings is a Speedball fan. We all look to him for guidance. His pain is the greatest.

• Options

it was received like a bullet to the testicles

That good, eh?