Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Warner Bros Announces DC Films through 2020

It's everywhere, including ComicBookResources

“Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice,” directed by Zack Snyder (2016)
“Suicide Squad,” directed by David Ayer (2016)
“Wonder Woman,” starring Gal Gadot (2017)
“Justice League Part One,” directed by Zack Snyder, with Ben Affleck, Henry Cavill and Amy Adams reprising their roles (2017)
“The Flash,” starring Ezra Miller (2018)
“Aquaman,” starring Jason Momoa (2018)
“Shazam” (2019)
“Justice League Part Two,” directed by Zack Snyder (2019)
“Cyborg,” starring Ray Fisher (2020)
“Green Lantern” (2020)

They also say there will be standalone Superman and Batman movies.

Ezra Miller as Flash? That came out of nowhere.

Comments

• TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    Really hoping The Flash is a separate entity...like maybe it's about Wally West? Now that'd be cool!

100% behind Shazam and Wonder Woman movies.
  • Bleeding Cool is saying Green Lantern is a reboot, so it probably is Hal Jordan. I would prefer a non-Barry Allen Flash, so it leaves room for crossover, or at least a multiversal feel to the different media.
  • MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Bleeding Cool is saying Green Lantern is a reboot, so it probably is Hal Jordan. I would prefer a non-Barry Allen Flash, so it leaves room for crossover, or at least a multiversal feel to the different media.

Everything I've seen about TV/movie crossovers is about breath & not holding it.

M
  • bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    oops... old news
  • random73random73 Posts: 2,318
    bamfbamf said:
    at the risk of being reactionary...i don't want my Flash to look like a 15 year old psycopath.
  • random73 said:

bamfbamf said:
    at the risk of being reactionary...i don't want my Flash to look like a 15 year old psycopath.
    Agreed. I imagine his look would be different.
    I thought Jason Mamoa blatantly denied he was playing Aquaman at a con.

• I think making the movies and TV universes separate is a poor corporate choice.

Unless they are building to Crisis in 2025, and they start a JSA Radio drama in a couple of years.

• David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,884
    That's a lot of movies. Well, here's hoping!
  • WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    David_D said:

That's a lot of movies. Well, here's hoping!

I'm picturing a roomful of monkeys and typewriters.
    I'm also picturing a 1930's-style cigar-chewing movie executive demanding two funnybook pictures a year, by God!
  • tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    The most surprising thing about this schedule is that instead of being the film to follow BvS in 2016, Shazam isn't coming out until April 2019. 4½ years.

I think making the movies and TV universes separate is a poor corporate choice.

OK. We're back to disagreeing.

*whew!*

TV is such a better vehicle for world-building.

I'm happy the movie "braintrust" doesn't have their paws all over my Arrows and my Flashes.

Let 'em have their own.

If those apparently-simpleminded mundane non-fans* can keep all the animated versions straight from each other, I think they can handle this.

*Sarcasm Mode fully-engaged.
  • I think making the movies and TV universes separate is a poor corporate choice.

Unless they are building to Crisis in 2025, and they start a JSA Radio drama in a couple of years.

I would listen to that nonstop
  • WetRats said:

If those apparently-simpleminded mundane non-fans* can keep all the animated versions straight from each other, I think they can handle this.
    Obviously you don't have any non-comic reading friends who asked you "Why is Green Lantern white" when that movie came out. Because I think I answered that question to everyone I know who was under 25.

WetRats said:

Obviously you don't have any non-comic reading friends who asked you "Why is Green Lantern white" when that movie came out. Because I think I answered that question to everyone I know who was under 25.
    Yup, Me too! Every kid that grew up with the Justice League Unlimited knew John Stewart as "their" GL.
  • TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

You can't show Power Girl's hogans over the radio! :)

Or maybe you can! Get a foley guy to use one of those loosely tied bass drums for the sound effect.

Hourman: We need someone with raw strength and power to get that door off. Kara! Come here, quickly!
    SFX: *BA-DOING!* *BA-DOING!* *BA-DOING!*
    Power Girl: Yes, Hourman, what's the problem?
    Torchsong said:

You can't show Power Girl's hogans over the radio! :)

Or maybe you can! Get a foley guy to use one of those loosely tied bass drums for the sound effect.

Hourman: We need someone with raw strength and power to get that door off. Kara! Come here, quickly!
    SFX: *BA-DOING!* *BA-DOING!* *BA-DOING!*
    Power Girl: Yes, Hourman, what's the problem?
    you are so wrong. 8-|
  • Hmm. Shazam won't be coming out until 2019. I wonder what Jim Nabors will be doing around that time...
  • tazmaniaktazmaniak Posts: 733
    In the article, it mentions WB is in discussions with 4 A-list actors for roles in Suicide Squad. The Hollywood Reporter is claiming those 4 actors may be Ryan Gosling (who has also recently had meetings for Doctor Strange), Will Smith, Margot Robbie and Tom Hardy.

THR
    I'm still in the "let's see what happens" instead of overly excited. A list is just that, a list. I'll get excited (or at least Bill Belichick excited) when I see something more concrete.

M
  • playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited October 2014
    It's weird but I'm not very interested in any of these movies right now. DC has no track record (I didnt hate MoS, but I never regretted waiting for it on HBO) so it hard to tell if we are looking at one giant train wreck of smaller train wrecks or not. I could be persuaded to see "Suicide Squad", but not with the rumored cast, I'm currently ok with the TV Flash and feel no urgency to see a big screen version, I doubt Shazam will be a love letter to the Golden Age so why bother, and 2020 is just darn too far away for me to care about another Green Lantern movie, though I'm glad they are both making another attempt and waiting a respectable length of time for the stink of the previous movie to dissipate. But I don't care about the trinity or aquaman so none of those movies hold anything more than passive (ie free home viewing only) interest for me. And I had to check the list 4 times before I remembered there was a Cyborg movie on there too.
  • shroud68shroud68 Posts: 457

It's weird but I'm not very interested in any of these movies right now. DC has no track record (I didnt hate MoS, but I never regretted waiting for it on HBO) so it hard to tell if we are looking at one giant train wreck of smaller train wrecks or not. I could be persuaded to see "Suicide Squad", but not with the rumored cast, I'm currently ok with the TV Flash and feel no urgency to see a big screen version, I doubt Shazam will be a love letter to the Golden Age so why bother, and 2020 is just darn too far away for me to care about another Green Lantern movie, though I'm glad they are both making another attempt and waiting a respectable length of time for the stink of the previous movie to dissipate. But I don't care about the trinity or aquaman so none of those movies hold anything more than passive (ie free home viewing only) interest for me. And I had to check the list 4 times before I remembered there was a Cyborg movie on there too.

I do not understand the notion that "DC has no track record". It seems factually incorrect to make that statement. DC and Warner Brothers Studios have a long track record of Superman and Batman movies. Throw in Green Lantern and we have a large body of work over the past ten years. While it may not measure up it in scope or execution to the vein of gold that Marvel seems to have, it is out there and we can speculate with an idea of what to expect.

shroud68 said:

I do not understand the notion that "DC has no track record". It seems factually incorrect to make that statement. DC and Warner Brothers Studios have a long track record of Superman and Batman movies. Throw in Green Lantern and we have a large body of work over the past ten years. While it may not measure up it in scope or execution to the vein of gold that Marvel seems to have, it is out there and we can speculate with an idea of what to expect.

I've learned these past couple of months from a Batman forum there's considered a difference. When certain DC fanboys criticize Marvel (only those from the Studio) movies as being for kids & lack seriousness, if you reference Batman & Robin or GL, the response is "that's not the DCCU".

So, some people would claim the DCCU only started with Man of Steel.

When some of these guys use examples of DC's "more serious, adult themes & tones", the Dark Knight trilogy gets used as an example. I always contend; if the DCCU starts with MoS, then TDK trilogy can't be used as an example. It's not a pick & choose what makes DC look superior situation.

So, I agree with you that the studio has some type of track record (both good & bad), but at the same time I understand moving forward its with a (presumably) plan for something bigger.

M
  • playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited October 2014
    shroud68 said:

There is only one movie in this current series of movies, MoS. Previous films are not being taken into account because these have a different mandate, which is to create a unified cinematic universe. That's what I mean when I say they have no track record. The company might be the same, but it's the same the way your grandfather is part of your lineage, but by whose actions and accomplishments you can't be judged.

Additionally, the only DC films I have ever liked were the Tim Burton Batman movies. So if I were to judge based solely on that track record I wouldn't be unenthusiastic, I'd be actively repelled.
  • matchkitJOHNmatchkitJOHN Posts: 1,030
    I hear Iron Man is going to be in all of them.
  • Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited October 2014
    I think the thing that people forget with the cinematic universes these days is that they are a completely separate species from the comics and must be viewed as such.

Personally, I've always found more enjoyment in the television adaptations, believing there to be much more room to plot out stories and develop characters. In a way, the television adaptations are like the regular monthly series while the movies tend to represent the big events.

I've generally got a "wait for the trade" attitude when it comes to the movies and more often than not I'm content waiting for a rental or a cheaper viewing in a second-run theater.

To digress slightly, I really hope that if Ryan Gosling is going to choose a comic-related project, he joins the Suicide Squad. I'm not sure what character he'd play but I see that setup being more in tune with his style. Not so much with Doctor Strange. Although, to be fair, anybody could probably do a better job than the dude from Orca.
  • I am excited for all these comic book movies. I have no idea if they will be go or bad, but that is the fun of anticipation. Looking forward to seeing them in the theater, and knowing each movie gets a fair shake, not the snarkiness or backstabbing of internet fanboys, right?
  • GregGreg Posts: 1,946
    As a guy that likes DC characters I should be happy and have some level anticipation and excitment building up for these flicks, right? I'm not feeling it. Maybe as it gets closer to release dates. The only one that I'm looking forward to right now is Shazam Captain Marvel.