Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hating on DC?

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Nowadays I think a "Hating on Marvel" thread might get more play :)
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I cannot wait for Rebirth.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Then don't. It's in stores now. :)
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I enjoyed it. I managed to stay unspoiled and was glad I did.
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    This thread is vast! :lol: But yeah. I definitely think "Man of Steel" and The New 52 line of comics ushered in a (new) era of DC-bashing. I also think "Batman v. Superman" became a huge punching bag for that - as well as for anyone in general who dislikes and/or resents the growth of superhero movies and TV shows. It really saddens me. Not only because I happened to like BvS (for itself, and for its effort to provide a different flavor of comic book movie than those given to us by Disney/Marvel), but also because I love DC Comics and its characters, and all of their iterations, dark and light. I look at DC Rebirth, and I hear press statements about how Geoff Johns was tapped by Warner Brothers to "bring lightness and hope" to its DCCU, and it makes me worry... that all the acid-filled Marvel fanboys and all the screeching film critics may win their war to castrate DC projects, and turn them into Disney/Marvel clones. Hopefully, I will be proven wrong on that prediction.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

This thread is vast! :lol: But yeah. I definitely think "Man of Steel" and The New 52 line of comics ushered in a (new) era of DC-bashing. I also think "Batman v. Superman" became a huge punching bag for that - as well as for anyone in general who dislikes and/or resents the growth of superhero movies and TV shows. It really saddens me. Not only because I happened to like BvS (for itself, and for its effort to provide a different flavor of comic book movie than those given to us by Disney/Marvel), but also because I love DC Comics and its characters, and all of their iterations, dark and light. I look at DC Rebirth, and I hear press statements about how Geoff Johns was tapped by Warner Brothers to "bring lightness and hope" to its DCCU, and it makes me worry... that all the acid-filled Marvel fanboys and all the screeching film critics may win their war to castrate DC projects, and turn them into Disney/Marvel clones. Hopefully, I will be proven wrong on that prediction.

They'd get shredded for becoming MCU clones whether it started with BvS:DoJ or later.

Not sure why you think film critics are trying to win a war & castrate DC projects. I don't recall them tearing down TDK trilogy all the time.

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Not sure why you think film critics are trying to win a war & castrate DC projects. I don't recall them tearing down TDK trilogy all the time.

M

Nolan's TDK trilogy ended when this new era of DC-bashing (to which I refer) was just getting started.
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377
    edited May 2016

Matt said:

M

Nolan's TDK trilogy ended when this new era of DC-bashing (to which I refer) was just getting started.
    But lots of DC fans have really disliked the last 5 years of DC comics. And lots of people didn't like BvS. I mean, it didn't even make a billion dollars. The 2 most iconic superheroes of all time, together for the first time, in a big budget epic. On the same planet where Transformers 4 and Fast 7 did? I don't think it has anything to do with Marvel fans and film critics bashing DC. I think people in general just don't like that grimdark cynicism and poor storytelling technique. The DCCU has so far failed to be either compelling or fun.
  • Options

Matt said:

M

So 2012? That's when I mark it. Once Avengers seemed to work, the whole game changed.

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    ^^^ I also think the film critics are conspiring to make the quote boxes not work right.
  • Options

Matt said:

M

But lots of DC fans have really disliked the last 5 years of DC comics. And lots of people didn't like BvS. I mean, it didn't even make a billion dollars. The 2 most iconic superheroes of all time, together for the first time, in a big budget epic. On the same planet where Transformers 4 and Fast 7 did? I don't think it has anything to do with Marvel fans and film critics bashing DC. I think people in general just don't like that grimdark cynicism and poor storytelling technique. The DCCU has so far failed to be either compelling or fun.
    I've actually had a similar conversation about this on another forum. BvS didn't clear $1 billion because it failed to cross all the general audiences. Avengers did that, as did TDK & TDKR. There are hardo DC fanboys who get pompous & dismiss the MCU as nothing more then a yuck fest for children. "The DCEU is for mature, intelligent adults." Here's the thing, it'll be a struggle for movies without an adventure feel to cross $1 billion. It can't be both "adult" & get the ticket sales of families & kids.

Nearly $950 million is nothing to dismiss. I expect Suicide Squad to fall between Man of Steel & BvS:DoJ. It's not $1 billion, but back-to-back movies near that amount is a legit film series.

M
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Well, I wouldn't say that Nolan's "The Dark Knight" was a film for general audiences. It was dark as hell, violent, suffocatingly set in Gotham City, and didn't have much humor - yet it reached a billion dollar box office nonetheless. (And it did what no other superhero film has ever done: it won an Oscar for the portrayal of a comic book character.)
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377

Well, I wouldn't say that Nolan's "The Dark Knight" was a film for general audiences. It was dark as hell, violent, suffocatingly set in Gotham City, and didn't have much humor - yet it reached a billion dollar box office nonetheless. (And it did what no other superhero film has ever done: it won an Oscar for the portrayal of a comic book character.)

It had (and I disagree with this, but that's my personal taste) compelling storytelling. if it's fun it doesn't need a great story, look at Avengers. If it's got a strong narrative that really grabs people it doesn't need to be fun, see TDK. If it has both, well that's the best (I'd put Winter Soldier in that category). If it's neither, then what's the appeal?
  • Options

It did appeal to every audience corner. It was darker, yet no blood. It had violence, but didn't seem anymore then the original Star Wars movie. Most of the more violent scenes were done off camera. I saw it 6 times in the theatres. Each time had a nice mixture of audience members.

How is a Batman movie "suffocatingly" set in Gotham?

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

M

I only meant that in opposition to your point that "it'll be a struggle for movies without an adventure feel to cross $1 billion."
  • Options

Matt said:

M

I only meant that in opposition to your point that "it'll be a struggle for movies without an adventure feel to cross $1 billion."
    I was using it to show why TDK & TDKR crossed $1 billion.