Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hating on DC?

Comments

• Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Matt said:

hauberk said:

Ugh.

New solicits like these don't do much to alter perceptions...

SUGAR & SPIKE, written by Keith Giffen with art by Bilquis Evely:

The last time we saw Sugar and Spike, they were still in diapers! Now, they’re grown up, and they’ve become private investigators who specialize in cleaning up embarrassing problems for the DCU’s greatest heroes. Sugar & Spike’s first assignment: retrieve a cache of Batman’s retired costumes that have been stolen by Killer Moth!
    Raise your hand if this appeals to you.
    I could do exactly the same kind of cherry picking in the Marvel solicits. The difference is that I know that Marvel has gone somewhere I don't care to follow and don't bother to read them. That sounds odd, I'm sure but I don't get my kicks peeing in other people's Cheerios.
    Its also completely not why I started this thread initially.

All the negativity in this town (forum) sucks. The Golden Age isn't walking through that door. The Silver Age isn't walking through that door. The Bronze Age isn't walking through that door!

M
    Outside of current Shadow comics, are any modern comics walking through that door at the @Matt house?

Just the last few issues of Secret Wars. The bloated "Masks 2" from Dynamite finished, the Shadow didn't have solicitations the last 2 months (not sure if vol. 2 became a mini instead of a series), and Spider-man 2099 (though issue 3 is my last; not digging it at all).

I'm going to give the new Moon Knight series a try; they always sucker me.

That's about it.

M
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited December 2015
    hauberk said:

Try celebrating what you're enjoying instead. Call out to the like minded celebrants rather than lighting torches and calling for pitchforks.

Not sure the CGS comic forums necessarily needs to be a "safe space" where people never have to read anything critical about something they happen to like.

I frequently celebrate what I like on these boards, but I also like to share what I don't like. No comic book gets a pass just for participating in the industry, same with ideas, along with television shows or movies. If someone thinks SHIELD or Gotham sucked this week, or just loathes the premise, they should feel free to mention it here. If Supergirl or the Flash rocked, they should also feel free to mention that here - without being vilified for it [edit] no matter where you stand.
  • Options

If Supergirl or the Flash rocked, they should also feel free to mention that here - without being vilified for it.

Forum members take note: Stop vilifying Supergirl and Flash fans. Consequences will never be the same.

• Options

If Supergirl or the Flash rocked, they should also feel free to mention that here - without being vilified for it.

Forum members take note: Stop vilifying Supergirl and Flash fans. Consequences will never be the same.

An excellent demonstration on the importance of proper sentence structure and punctuation. Thanks :)

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited December 2015

Ugh.

New solicits like these don't do much to alter perceptions...

SUGAR & SPIKE, written by Keith Giffen with art by Bilquis Evely:

The last time we saw Sugar and Spike, they were still in diapers! Now, they’re grown up, and they’ve become private investigators who specialize in cleaning up embarrassing problems for the DCU’s greatest heroes. Sugar & Spike’s first assignment: retrieve a cache of Batman’s retired costumes that have been stolen by Killer Moth!
    Raise your hand if this appeals to you.
    I'll have to wait to see a preview. I like Giffen’s humor for the most part, and the concept could be entertaining. And maybe it'll help get the rest of Shelly Mayer’s stories back in print, even if it turns out to be a comic I don't like. That one Sugar & Spike Archive Edition looks kind of lonely on my shelf.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511

hauberk said:

Try celebrating what you're enjoying instead. Call out to the like minded celebrants rather than lighting torches and calling for pitchforks.

Not sure the CGS comic forums necessarily needs to be a "safe space" where people never have to read anything critical about something they happen to like.

I frequently celebrate what I like on these boards, but I also like to share what I don't like. No comic book gets a pass just for participating in the industry, same with ideas, along with television shows or movies. If someone thinks SHIELD or Gotham sucked this week, or just loathes the premise, they should feel free to mention it here. If Supergirl or the Flash rocked, they should also feel free to mention that here - without being vilified for it [edit] no matter where you stand.
    I'll clarify and refine my comment.

I've got no issue with critical discussion about a topic and, in fact, I think that that can actually add more value to a discussion than a bunch of affirmative dittos. However, imo "ugh... Raise your hand if this appeals to you." Doesn't do much to advance a discussion.

However, I'll go ahead and respond on your topic. Sugar & Spike aren't really my cuppa. If something were to draw me to this book, it would be Giffen and the fact that the characters have been taken to a new place. Provided that, upon review, the book is well received and turns out to be an interesting evolution of the characters, I applaud them for being willing to avoid the trap of character stasis.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    hauberk said:

imo "ugh... Raise your hand if this appeals to you." Doesn't do much to advance a discussion.

It goes both ways I suppose. Sometimes the briefest of commentary will create more discussion. Probably the most you've discussed Sugar & Spike ever.

maybe it'll help get the rest of Shelly Mayer’s stories back in print, even if it turns out to be a comic I don't like. That one Sugar & Spike Archive Edition looks kind of lonely on my shelf.

I can get behind this. I hope you're onto something there though.

FWIW, this series is no longer going to be a standalone. It is now going to be part of a new 80-page anthology featuring Firestorm and others as a Legends of Tomorrow title. Cover price to be $7.99 retail.

I'm going to stick with "ugh."

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited December 2015
    Humor—or more specifically gag humor—is a very tough sell in the direct market. I can't blame DC for trying to put a twist on the concept to make it more marketable.

Like I said somewhere in the forum, I think if they throw in some flashbacks to their childhood, and if they use their old gobbledy-gook language as a secret code or something, this could be more than just an update of the name, and it could be a fun book. A lot will depend on who they get as the artist.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    hauberk said:

I think that's Matt's original point. To call out the negativity and reject it. Try celebrating what you're enjoying instead. Call out to the like minded celebrants rather than lighting torches and calling for pitchforks.

Here's a spot for some positivity!

thecomicforums.com/discussion/3520/what-has-the-new-52-done-right/p1
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    This is mainly for the podcast crew. Are there any plans to have some discussion on the upcoming DC Rebirth or are you waiting until after the Rebirth titles themselves before commenting?

In a funny way, this topic almost belongs in Hating DC since the last reboot/rebirth/re whatever the f**k is what got a lot of us hating DC.
  • Options
    Dman said:

This is mainly for the podcast crew. Are there any plans to have some discussion on the upcoming DC Rebirth or are you waiting until after the Rebirth titles themselves before commenting?

At this point, who even knows that this is? At first we get Bleeding Cool rumors that it is a relaunch, then we get reboot, now we are somewhere in the middle. I heard a thought that maybe it was just Gotham-verse. Who knows.

I do know this. I love Batman, the character. I have not liked Mech Bat. If DC is worried that rebooting their universe, and going back to previous continuity is admitting failure . . . well, your sales admit that, whether you want to or not. Maybe the best thing to do is just hike up your skirt and accept failure.
  • Options
    I want to read Batman and Superman comics, but the stories are just not there. Latest issues of Detective and Action are not very interesting. Detective just seems to be dragging out a story line that is going nowhere. Action...not sure what the story line is. The latest was a devolution into 90s comics with not much story; just 22 pages of overinked Superman flexing.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I don't hate DC. I love their characters and for the most part, I love them in different media but I'm just tired of what they are doing editorially. I'm curious to see certain books after the Rebirth and what it means to the Universe but I'm just tired of what they are doing.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I'm not reading much DC, so I can't judge the line as a line. But, for what it is worth, I think the Snyder/Capullo Batman continues to be excellent, and I've been enjoying Constantine: The Hellblazer. I don't know what it is that is coming next as far as reboots/relaunches/etc., but I wouldn't mind these titles and creative teams continuing on. Here's hoping.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    DC Bombshells has also been great, as has Aquaman, Len Weins new Swamp Thing mini series and Darkseid War has been real fun in Justice League.
  • Options
    I'm currently only reading Constantine the Hellblazer, Justice League 3001 and Superman: Lois and Clark. I've got the new Swamp Thing series on my DCBS pull list as well, but this is the least amount of DC books I've ever had on my pull list.

Once I realized a lot of the New 52 titles weren't for me, I began dropping them. Now I'm reading only books that weren't part of the original launch. DC's just not doing it for me right now... and I hate that, but I'm also adult enough to know that if someone else IS enjoying it and it's selling, then great. It just doesn't seem like that's happening though.
  • Options

Strangley, most of the creators I follow are either at Marvel or Image these days. Was disappointed Lemire's 'Black Hammer' at Dark Horse has been delayed.

Black Hammer
    has finally been announced as coming out in July according to Lemire's blog. I expect to see the resolicit in next month's Previews or the following.
  • Options
    CaptShazamCaptShazam Posts: 1,178
    Actually, this is DC praise:

While the new stuff may not be for me, DC is doing a great job with keeping older stuff in print with collected editions. The solicits for the last few months have been full of good stuff.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784
    They canceled the solicit for Starman Omnibus Vol 3 in trade paperback AGAIN. @ShaneKelly is already Hulking out I'm sure.
  • Options

They canceled the solicit for Starman Omnibus Vol 3 in trade paperback AGAIN. @ShaneKelly is already Hulking out I'm sure.

This is disappointing. I wish there was a way to see what the pre order numbers were for this. They just must have been awful.
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784

This is disappointing. I wish there was a way to see what the pre order numbers were for this. They just must have been awful.
    Yeah. I'm extra glad I have all the hardcovers sitting on my shelf.
  • Options

I have the first two softcover omnibuses and the rest of the series in trade. I was hoping to upgrade those trades with these omnibuses with better quality paper without looking for the hardcovers.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615

Me too. I had to scrounge and to be able to buy those. I'm so glad I did.
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794

While the new stuff may not be for me, DC is doing a great job with keeping older stuff in print with collected editions. The solicits for the last few months have been full of good stuff.

They actually collected "The Daring New Adventures of Supergirl" in Vol. 1 of what I suspect is a 2-volume trade.

Of course I ordered it. :)
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

They actually collected "The Daring New Adventures of Supergirl" in Vol. 1 of what I suspect is a 2-volume trade.

So did I. :smile:
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

I want this!
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

Torchsong said:

I want this!
    It is on the current solicits. I think there is another week to order this
  • Options
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Just bumping this up in anticipation of DC Rebirth.