Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Hating on DC?

Comments

• Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    Read Convergence 7 and 8 last night. I'm satisfied (and quite pleased with elements of it) with where it went. It was too long but decompression isn't something exclusive to DC.

Overall, I'm comfortable with what a DC is doing with it.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    so are all the old school DC fans going to pick up DC again after New 52 ends?
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    nevermind... the continuity is staying the same.... yuck... screw DC
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Mihawk said:

And there big plan for mutants after Secret Wars is for the Inhumans to release the Terragen Mist on the Earth and that will effect the Mutants by making them have to leave Earth and find a new home world. If that isn't the stupidest idea ever I don't know what is.

I'm currently reading Earth X, and that Terragen Mist thing doesn't work out real well for the planet.
  • Options

Hate? No. I DO hate Marvel for killing off their Essential program, but DC is still putting out Showcases once in a while, so they are OK with me.

The Epic line has picked up where a lot of those Essentials left off. I was look at an Epic Peter David Hulk volume coming up, and it was picking up right where the visionaire line stopped.

That said I also hate that Marvel killed the Essential program.
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

nevermind... the continuity is staying the same.... yuck... screw DC

That's not at all how I read it. Some titles stay New52. Others fit in elsewhere. Pretty clearly Prez, Batmite and Bizzaro fit elsewhere. Justice League 3001 isn't in the New 52.

The following article includes spoilers for Convergence 8 but pretty much gets the the final result of the story across.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/the-true-goal-of-dcs-convergence-has-been-revealed
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    So, can I pretty much just skip "Convergence" entirely then?
  • Options

So, can I pretty much just skip "Convergence" entirely then?

I can't speak for the tie-ins, but overall, I enjoyed it. The last two issues, in particular had some fun moments and well crafted dialog.

As I said, it was decompressed, but what isn't anymore?
  • Options
    HexHex Posts: 944
    edited May 2015
    mwhitt80 said:

Hate? No. I DO hate Marvel for killing off their Essential program, but DC is still putting out Showcases once in a while, so they are OK with me.

The Epic line has picked up where a lot of those Essentials left off. I was look at an Epic Peter David Hulk volume coming up, and it was picking up right where the visionaire line stopped.

That said I also hate that Marvel killed the Essential program.
    Marvel's Epic line is a nice try, but it is NO Essentials. Less issues in one volume, not as big a bang for the buck, and I actually prefer black & white to colour (especially since the colouring on those earlier titles was fairly barbaric). I sure an going to miss the Essentials. Was Really wanting a SHIELD, Inhumans, or Eternals volume.

And in an attempt to stay on topic... I picked up the Booster Gold Convergence tie-ins. Good to see Booster again, but I'm completely lost and doubt I be picking up any more DC issues, in the conceivable future. "Never say Never" though, Omega Men just might suck me in!
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    My thing was that I'm going to get both Marvel and DC's events in trades and anything else that looks interesting that goes along with it. At the end of the day, they are just trying to tell interesting stories.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    bamfbamf said:

Depends on if the editorial interference continues (i.e. editor plots and writer...just...does what they are told), if the books are continuity snoozefests with character standing around talking endlessly and the art looking like early 90's with computer coloring. More books like Batgirl, and I'll be back.

I read comics for creators and their vision, not because it's a product.
  • Options
    There are some really cool post convergence books. I really want to check out Yu's take on Superman. I have a feeling it will be a good version of the immigrant story; I like Yu a lot.
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    bamfbamf said:

I would love nothing more. However it's up to dc. Just losing the N52 tag won't be enough. The product will need to resemble something I like, enjoy and want. So far I haven't seen any evidence of their intent to make any such alterations. Actually everything I see/hear indicates the opposite and they're moving full speed ahead with the current status quo.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782
    DC continues to pile on the hate...with half page ads for all to love.

http://thecomicforums.com/discussion/comment/83886#Comment_83886
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927

bamfbamf said:

Depends on if the editorial interference continues (i.e. editor plots and writer...just...does what they are told), if the books are continuity snoozefests with character standing around talking endlessly and the art looking like early 90's with computer coloring. More books like Batgirl, and I'll be back.
    They've said that that is their objective now, post-Convergence... no worrying about continuity, writer/creator/story driven. Yes, more books like Batgirl.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Continuity done right is much too hard. Lighten up.
  • Options
    compsolutcompsolut Posts: 150
    edited June 2015
    With hundreds of issues already in the bank for most of the main-stay characters I simply want great stories and art to enjoy. I think about myself starting out 5 years ago with comics - like hell if I was going to go back and ready EVERY Batman book from the beginning of time. Instead I grabbed N52 Batman #1, and was hooked instantly by the art and story. Since that time I have gone back and read many of the key story arcs, picked up lots of singles . . . all without being too concerned over continuity.

I think about my daughter and other future kids. How are they going to get excited about something if they always have to know the continuity? They aren't. They are going to dismiss the big two and go to Indie titles that are fresh, independent arcs of continuity, or simply "now" for them.

If DC wants to get people "on the bus" they simply need to focus on creators and marketing. Why can't they put an ad on TV for something like Batmite that says "Look for this and other great titles at your local comic book store!" May not work, but it might entice kids to ask their parents where the closest comic book store is.

At the comic shop I work at, we focus very heavily on getting kids to read comic books. We have a wide range of product for them, help them (and more their parents) understand what they are reading about, and get them used to reading sequentially. We don't sell $60 worth of books in a shot to them, but when their parents see the attention we give to their kids, they come back the next week, or maybe two weeks out, and get more, and more. I understand marketing to your adult audience, as they have the money, but you also need to market to the future audience. Marvel is doing very well at that. Star Wars, Groot, Rocket, Avengers, Spider-Man - all titles that can span ages. We never recommend Snyder/Capullo Batman for someone under 13 - it's too heavy/dark for most to fully appreciate and comprehend. I love it, but it's not accessible to getting young audiences involved.

Again, I don't hate DC, I just hate some of the direction they have taken. If they could focus on good stories, with more main stream titles being accessible for the now and the future, I think they would be in a much better place.
  • Options
    compsolut said:

With hundreds of issues already in the bank for most of the main-stay characters I simply want great stories and art to enjoy. I think about myself starting out 5 years ago with comics - like hell if I was going to go back and ready EVERY Batman book from the beginning of time. Instead I grabbed N52 Batman #1, and was hooked instantly by the art and story. Since that time I have gone back and read many of the key story arcs, picked up lots of singles . . . all without being too concerned over continuity.

I think about my daughter and other future kids. How are they going to get excited about something if they always have to know the continuity? They aren't. They are going to dismiss the big two and go to Indie titles that are fresh, independent arcs of continuity, or simply "now" for them.

If DC wants to get people "on the bus" they simply need to focus on creators and marketing. Why can't they put an ad on TV for something like Batmite that says "Look for this and other great titles at your local comic book store!" May not work, but it might entice kids to ask their parents where the closest comic book store is.

At the comic shop I work at, we focus very heavily on getting kids to read comic books. We have a wide range of product for them, help them (and more their parents) understand what they are reading about, and get them used to reading sequentially. We don't sell $60 worth of books in a shot to them, but when their parents see the attention we give to their kids, they come back the next week, or maybe two weeks out, and get more, and more. I understand marketing to your adult audience, as they have the money, but you also need to market to the future audience. Marvel is doing very well at that. Star Wars, Groot, Rocket, Avengers, Spider-Man - all titles that can span ages. We never recommend Snyder/Capullo Batman for someone under 13 - it's too heavy/dark for most to fully appreciate and comprehend. I love it, but it's not accessible to getting young audiences involved.

Again, I don't hate DC, I just hate some of the direction they have taken. If they could focus on good stories, with more main stream titles being accessible for the now and the future, I think they would be in a much better place.

Don't hate the person (or corporation...thanks Supreme Court); hate the behavior.
  • Options
    DmanDman Posts: 163
    I wasn't crazy about Convergence #0 and 1 but I found myself enjoying both Convergence #8 and Justice League #40. I'm quite intrigued as to what this 'hell with continuity' approach brings and I did admire the way it was written in JL 40 and Convergence 8. I have to ask. Are we getting more books set in the Pre-Flashpoint universe and how would we know if they are?
  • Options
    Eric_CEric_C Posts: 263
    I think it is mostly a strange state of comics in general. Both DC and Marvel seem to be going through this strange growing pains stage, DC with them moving and focusing so much energy on trying to make a movie universe and Marvel trying to wipe the slate clean. But I can say this that I think there is a trend where people who are Marvel fanboys hating on Marvel and DC fanboys hating on DC, both groups are unhappy with their respective families. I have seen this in myself with Marvel and see it all over with others.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    In all seriousness, can I skip "Convergence"? Through the 1st couple of issues and tie-ins it's been "okay," but I'm not exactly loving it. Good or bad, I wanted to read it in order to understand whatever new universe or whatever was going to come out of it, but if its pretty much back to the status quo, then I probably won't continue.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368

In all seriousness, can I skip "Convergence"? Through the 1st couple of issues and tie-ins it's been "okay," but I'm not exactly loving it. Good or bad, I wanted to read it in order to understand whatever new universe or whatever was going to come out of it, but if its pretty much back to the status quo, then I probably won't continue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILSbYH9pvjQ

• Options
    edited June 2015

Basically, to answer your question for real. No, you really don't have to read Convergence to understand the new DCU. I'm pretty sure a quick trip to Wikipedia would be sufficient. The New 52 still exists but the old Multiverse is back. That's it.

• Options
    Excellent. Thanks!

:-)
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Tvtropes would help as well, I think.
  • Options

Convergence Cliffnotes:

CoIE didn't happen. All stories are valid and true.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    popestu said:

Convergence Cliffnotes:

CoIE didn't happen.* All stories are valid and true.

Except when it did, because all the post-Crisis stories are valid and true too.

Try not to think about it too hard. That way lies migraines and nausea.
  • Options
    @TheOriginalGMan Actually, one thing I forgot to mention about the new status is that there are some developments with the New 52 Earth 2. So, if you're interested in that crew, this is the genesis of a new chapter for them.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

popestu said:

Convergence Cliffnotes:

CoIE didn't happen.* All stories are valid and true.

Except when it did, because all the post-Crisis stories are valid and true too.

Try not to think about it too hard. That way lies migraines and nausea.
    Yes.