Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Now with SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Matt said:

I chuckled to myself a couple times because it was almost like Whedon went out of his way to show the team evacuating, directly protecting, & trying to avoid any civilian casualties. Cap even referenced the sentiment.

M

Whedon must have read the Man of Steel reviews...
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Matt said:

I chuckled to myself a couple times because it was almost like Whedon went out of his way to show the team evacuating, directly protecting, & trying to avoid any civilian casualties. Cap even referenced the sentiment.

M

And DC fanboys who justify it with "but he saved the world!"

Looks like you can do both!

M
  • Options
    Just as a preview for my review of the movie when it's released on the ep; after seeing AoU & thinking about the teaser for BvS, my enthusiasm for DoJ & the whole DCCU is at an all time low. I'm hoping by next year that's not the case, but for right now it is.

There were too many moments made these guys (and gals) feel real instead of gods (yes, even the God).

M
  • Options
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Matt said:

M

More importantly, he read comics written before 1990.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Matt said:

Just as a preview for my review of the movie when it's released on the ep; after seeing AoU & thinking about the teaser for BvS, my enthusiasm for DoJ & the whole DCCU is at an all time low. I'm hoping by next year that's not the case, but for right now it is.

There were too many moments made these guys (and gals) feel real instead of gods (yes, even the God).

M

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Yes.

The emphasis on heroism, rather than just superpowered action is my favorite aspect of the film.
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

I read a review of the movie by Camilia Long of The Sunday Times. She described the movie as "Two hours of boredom and boobs add up to a sorry basis for the new Avengers."

Now if she thought it was boring throughout the whole movie, is her opinion. What I found more peculiar was the "boobs" remark. Aside from 2 moments (one a comedic bit), it really didn't seem like a "boob" flick. In fact, I'd say just the opposite.

Aside from one scene I thought would target complaints, the women were just as capable as the guys. Hell, Wanda seemed like the most powerful person in the whole movie.

Hill, Widow, Wanda, Cho, the ladies at the world central hub, & Laura I felt were all there for more then eye candy. Joss is known for giving female characters great reverence.

Does anyone else feel as though the women were just there for a "boobfest"?

M

I think she saw this by mistake>

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgTiFsCMCo4
    Boy! I'd forgotten how crappy that movie was. Thanks for the reminder!

• Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Actually saw it twice this weekend. Loved it. I might even rank it better than the first one. At least equel to it which is saying a lot for me. My only complaints are minor.
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392
    Matt said:

Matt said:

M

M
    Playing devils advocate...

Don't forget though, the Avengers are seasoned pro's by now, that was Supermans first big clash.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927
    luke52 said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

M

M

Don't forget though, the Avengers are seasoned pro's by now, that was Supermans first big clash.
    And six of them, plus SHIELD, versus one (in MOS I didn't see any armed services helping evacuate).
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I feel like the "old friends" who secured Fury's Helicarrier are Coulson's team.

Also, did really Tony face any repercussions for unleashing Ultron?
  • Options
    luke52luke52 Posts: 1,392

luke52 said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

M

M

And six of them, plus SHIELD, versus one (in MOS I didn't see any armed services helping evacuate).
    Yep.

New York took quite a beating in the first Avengers too.

Which was a good thing in the overall universe. Being mentioned in most other MCU movies/shows. It's helped keep things grounded. And has played a massive part in character development.

I'm hoping BvS is going to do something similar. Making the events of MoS have lasting ramifications.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

M

More importantly, he read comics written before 1990.
    To be fair to 1990 comics, I'll showcase the Death Of Superman storyline.

Throughout the entire thing, Superman is trying to keep Doomsday away from Civilians. There's even a point where instead of chasing down Doomsday, he chooses to go back and help a family in a burning house.

Sure, the final fight ends up in Metropolis, but Superman did his damnedest to make that not happen.

I always appreciated the storyline for all of that.
  • Options
    luke52 said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

M

M

It's definitely playing Devil's advocate (minus the Keanu Reeves southern accent he drops 1/2 through the movie), BUT you could also argue it's the first day on the job for the Avengers in the battle of NY. Up to that point, they weren't exactly working like a well-oiled machine.

And how many people here (to my chagrin) claimed "...but he's Superman; the the gold standard of superheroes."

I wasn't a fan of the "but he saved the world" as a defense to the complaint he didn't really save/protect people beyond "stay inside."

M
  • Options

luke52 said:

Matt said:

Matt said:

M

M

Yeah, what the heck were the armed forces & emergency services doing at the time?

M
  • Options
    spidspid Posts: 203
    I knocked the blending of Agents of Shield with Thor 2 and Captain America: Winter Soldier last year. I thought they did a much better job this season of tying in major sections of the show and Agent Carter into plot points into the movie. When Black Widow has her dream sequence you as fan already know what she went through.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Here's an interesting review.

I particularly like the final observation.
  • Options
    Maybe this scene will be in the Blu-Ray.

• Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    edited May 2015
    i give it a B+

Pros
    - the opening battle scene was great... Captain America throwing the motorcycle was the best... my wife and i both agree that Captain America's more physical and choreographed fights are much more interesting and visually appealing than any other Avengers... shooting lasers and thunder bolts at opponents are not as cool as beating people with your fists and a shield
    - the cocktail party scene was awesome... felt very Ocean's 11-ish... why was Pepper Potts not in the movie? Palthrow wanted too much money for a cameo?
    - the hulkbuster fight was great as well
    - i love the interaction Tony between Banner
    - i like how Tony is starting to go down the deep end and the arguments between Tony and Cap... and i know it's setting up Civil War, but it seemed logical and consistent with their characters
    - the Vision was cool.. and it's interesting that they've turned him into Vision/Adam Warlock... not that i ever found Adam Warlock to be interesting... i still don't quite understand why he can lift Thor's hammer.. is it coz he wields the mind gem or is because he's not human?

Cons
    - Ultron was just not very scary... i never thought for a second that he could be a serious foe... i think if Ultron killed someone early on or if he overpowered the Avengers early on... it'd be a different story... but his drones were easily dispatched and he never overpowered the Avengers at any time!!! He is supposed to be one of the baddest mofo's ever!!!
    - the pacing was a little off for me... the opening scene got me revved up, then the cocktail scene was a nice change of pace.. but then it started dragging...
    - the whole farm house scene was so slow... and i didn't really care that Hawkeye has wife...i know some people connected with that... but i didn't really care
    - not a fan of the whole nightmares/visions that Scarlet Witch was causing... i am sure most casual fans will find the whole thing confusing... the whole Thor going into a pool of water thing could have been cut out... but they had to set up Thor 3
    - the final battle was weak... i did not know how they blew up the floating island and i really did not care at that point

Etc
    - i thought that Jarvis was going to secretly implant itself into the Vision body... it was kind of a bummer that Tony/Banner had to do it for him... it would've been cool if Jarvis was just that awesome that he was able to figure it out himself
    - i think the new Avengers lineup is just a smoke screen... and a set up for Civil War... most of them will side with Cap... no way this is the lineup for Avenger 3&4
    - Do you think they kill Tony at the end of Civil War???

I will go see it again on a non 3-D screen... 3D sux
  • Options
    bamfbamf said:

- the Vision was cool.. and it's interesting that they've turned him into Vision/Adam Warlock... not that i ever found Adam Warlock to be interesting... i still don't quite understand why he can lift Thor's hammer.. is it coz he wields the mind gem or is because he's not human?

I can only guess that it's because he fights for life, and that makes him worthy enough. He was essentially pure goodness, and even had sympathy for Ultron. Combine that with having the mind gem and being born of Thor's lightning, and there's an answer in there, somewhere.

- i thought that Jarvis was going to secretly implant itself into the Vision body... it was kind of a bummer that Tony/Banner had to do it for him... it would've been cool if Jarvis was just that awesome that he was able to figure it out himself
    I just assumed there wasn't enough of Jarvis left to do it himself. Remember, he was mostly destroyed at that point.

- i think the new Avengers lineup is just a smoke screen... and a set up for Civil War... most of them will side with Cap... no way this is the lineup for Avenger 3&4
    I believe this will be the line-up for the first part of Avengers: Infinity War. It would make sense, given contracts and story reasons.
    - Do you think they kill Tony at the end of Civil War???
    I doubt it. He's still the face of the Avengers.
  • Options
    Looks like the movie's success has already spurred a Black Widow movie:

http://youtu.be/j_5KgpN38hM

M
  • Options
    Matt said:

Looks like the movie's success has already spurred a Black Widow movie:

http://youtu.be/j_5KgpN38hM

M

I'd watch it.
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    I enjoyed the movie. I thought it was a lot of fun and a good continuation from the first Avengers movie as well as the other Marvel movies.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    I just left the theater and I think this beats the first one. SO MANY Easter eggs and nods to the comics. The action was great and I dug the focus on Hawkeye. The twins I ended up liking a lot more than I thought I would. Spader was amazing..it did throw me off to hear Ultron being "witty" and making pop culture references..I guess that's him reflecting Stark. I have a lot more thoughts on the movie but typing on my phone sucks...I give this 5/5
  • Options
    DarthDelRioDarthDelRio Posts: 18
    I loved the movie my only complaint is that the cut Cap off at the end from saying "Avengers Assemble" but I'm sure they will eventually say it in a movie. Also I would advice against seeing it in 3D the effects were cool and worked well in 3D but the movie was very dark I will definitely see it in 2D on my second viewing.
  • Options

I loved the movie my only complaint is that the cut Cap off at the end from saying "Avengers Assemble" but I'm sure they will eventually say it in a movie. Also I would advice against seeing it in 3D the effects were cool and worked well in 3D but the movie was very dark I will definitely see it in 2D on my second viewing.

Whedon stated he never had Evans say "...Assemble," so he couldn't be forced to add the cut.

M
  • Options
    I'm actually hoping that the Russo brothers' tastes are bit more traditional than Whedon's when it comes to little things like this.
  • Options

I'm actually hoping that the Russo brothers' tastes are bit more traditional than Whedon's when it comes to little things like this.

Define "traditional." What are you comparing here?

M
  • Options
    Let's just say that I suspect they'll include the "Avengers Assemble!" line.
    Just going to leave it at that.