Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Now with SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Matt said:

batlaw said:

Question... What's the consensus on Hawkeyes status at the end of AoU? Did he quit the avengers? Other than his absence from the final new group scene, what did I miss that implied he quit as some people are saying?

He told Laura this was the last mission.

M
    He told her the current remodeling project was the last one.

I don't think he said anything about missions.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    WetRats said:

Matt said:

batlaw said:

Question... What's the consensus on Hawkeyes status at the end of AoU? Did he quit the avengers? Other than his absence from the final new group scene, what did I miss that implied he quit as some people are saying?

He told Laura this was the last mission.

M
    He told her the current remodeling project was the last one.

I don't think he said anything about missions.
    Sabotage. Sabotaage.

http://youtu.be/nlOTRxt-dIw

He was talking missions.

M
  • Options
    Watched the movie again. Bruce /Hulk is talking about himself and Natasha explains she is more like him than he knows. Thus the back story of her own personal origin.

People are making what is a very personal character moment and making it what they want it to be.

Shame on them..
  • Options
    PlaneisPlaneis Posts: 980
    Seen it, liked it. Not as good as part one. Felt like it suffered from setting up Civil War and parts 3 and 4 instead of being allowed to just be its own movie (similar to Iron Man 2). Not sure what all the fuss is about Black Widow. Was obvious to me what she was saying.

Tired of the comparisons to the DCU. DC is darker. If you don't like that, that's all fine and good. The DC movies have always been darker and or more somber. Even Superman: The Movie is kinda somber. Warner Bros. makes dark movies. That's part of their culture. See The Matrix, Batman, The Departed, etc etc. if you look at their top 50 most successful films, other than a couple animated movies they are firmly in the darker, grittier, more serious side of the spectrum vs. Disney.

The Vision was.... A vision. Liked him a lot and wish he had showed up earlier. He was a breath of fresh air and a nice surprise for me. I avoided most publicity about the movie save two trailers.

Going to withhold final judgment until I've seen it again sometime, but right not the bottom line is that for me, just like in Thor 2 and GoTG, the villain was just not as good as other Marvel outings.
  • Options
    monsterswinmonsterswin Posts: 15
    Saw it a second time last night and liked it and enjoyed it more. Seemed less rushed. It has moved up on my list!
  • Options
    RepoManRepoMan Posts: 327

Saw it a second time last night and liked it and enjoyed it more. Seemed less rushed. It has moved up on my list!

Did the same this past weekend. The Hawkeye family scenes were especially slow this time around, but having a second look at the battle sequences, to be able to look around the screen not just the main action, was fun.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited June 2015
    Great summer blockbuster. I expect it will rake in $2 billion. I'm mildly disappointed that there wasn't more connective tissue to the Agents of SHIELD show. One might expect Maria Hill and Nick Fury to at least mention Coulson in the scene where they are alone. They both know he's alive. It would've been a nice nod to the show without affecting anything of merit. You'd think there was bad blood between the TV and film divisions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=170&v=lsP1gCI5cv0

As for Quicksilver—who is so fast he can run into a room, grab a dude’s gun, take the gun apart, and line up all of its bullets in a row on the table in less than 2 seconds. Can anyone explain him getting shot later on?

Finally, the pointless mid-credits scene. The last Avengers movie had two scenes with the schwarma scene being slightly more riveting than Thanos saying "Fine. I'll do it myself."

Other than that, I loved it and it's now in my top 5 Marvel movies.

My top 10 Marvel films:

10) Incredible Hulk
    9) Thor
    8) Iron Man 3
    7) Thor 2: Dark World
    6) Captain America: First Avenger
    5) Avengers: Age of Ultron
    4) Iron Man
    3) Avengers: Assemble
    2) Guardians of the Galaxy
    1) Captain America: Winter Soldier
  • Options
    Interesting perspective here from someone who thinks the movie should've ended differently, Hawkeye should've died, and proposes a seriously more interesting mid/post credits scene.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/SkullIsland/news/?a=120352
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited June 2015

Finally, the pointless mid-credits scene. The last Avengers movie had two scenes with the schwarma scene being slightly more riveting than Thanos saying "Fine. I'll do it myself."

You're not the only one to be underwhelmed by that scene. Personally, I can;t see how it doesn't excite folks for what's coming next. I think I might be too biased to see it clearly, given my love of the Infinity Gauntlet.
  • Options
    He's just putting on an glove with holes in it. It didn't really move the needle for me. Check out this guy's interesting mid/post credits scene idea.

• Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927

Great summer blockbuster. I expect it will rake in $2 billion.

Unless Marvel does a re-release, with marketing, I doubt it's going to hit 2 billion dollars. According to Wikipedia it is at $1.323 billion now. Furious 7 is still ahead of it at about $1.5 billion, but I think Avengers will go past that. I'd bet it will just get to $1.7 to $1.8 billion, for the year in the box office.

But it is a great summer blockbuster. I might see it a second time in the theaters soon myself, before it leaves. I place it between your 2 and 3.
  • Options
    True, and it will certainly pull in a few more shekels in home video release.
  • Options

He's just putting on an glove with holes in it. It didn't really move the needle for me. Check out this guy's interesting mid/post credits scene idea.

There's the difference .... and my bias/favortism.

To you, it's "a glove"

To me, it's "-the- glove".

As my boy, Death's Head would say...

"It's all a matter of perspective, yes?"
  • Options
    Of course I know it's THE gauntlet, but there was so much more they could have done to move the needle, and no post credit scene at all...? hmph...
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879

Agree and like his ideas / changes to tony and banner.
  • Options

Of course I know it's THE gauntlet, but there was so much more they could have done to move the needle, and no post credit scene at all...? hmph...

So you're given 10,000 wonderful things, and all you can focus on is the one thing you didn't get?
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    I think we already talked out the lack of a special treat at the end of Age of Ultron, and whether or not it was a crime against fandom, back before it came out. Those interested can check back to page 13.

Having now seen the movie, I stand by what I said then-- if you embed glimpses of the future into the movie itself, then there is less of that business to do in the middle or end of the credits.

Age of Ultron gave us a lot (I would argue, too much) of hints as to what was coming via Scarlet Witch's mind zap on Tony, and Thor's magical bath. Before the credits hit, we knew that both the Infinity War and Ragnarok were coming. So, at that point, a midcredit scene that was more of a punchline than a preview worked for me.
  • Options
    It's called 'critique,' and it's mine.
  • Options
    Cute.

I can go to one thread and explain what I would like to see post-Convergence or I can go to another and explain Hatin on DC, but here I need to stick with the program...
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Cute.

I can go to one thread and explain what I would like to see post-Convergence or I can go to another and explain Hatin on DC, but here I need to stick with the program...

I think it's the difference between discussing hopes for an ongoing project versus vain hopes for a completed one.

(Unless you've got a time bubble tucked away, and even then I'd say re-editing Age of Ultron seems like a pretty low priority for its use.)
  • Options
    So you don't care for those"How It Should Have Ended" YouToons, I take it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnZ_-5I72ec

I admit, they're much more clever, and funnier, than I.
  • Options

So you don't care for those"How It Should Have Ended" YouToons, I take it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnZ_-5I72ec

I admit, they're much more clever, and funnier, than I.

Actually, I love HISHE.

Unlike things like "Honest Trailers", they manage to avoid mean-spiritedness.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I love HISHE as well. And while its spirit is relative, two of my comedic heroes are Statler and Waldorf - and positing my complaint on a comic forums in lieu of merely "booing" at the black screen after the credits is my preferred response. So my advice to anyone who misses the "dislike" button right now is you're encouraged to use the "agree," "awesome," "LoL," "like." or "insightful" buttons on every comment that disagrees with mine. Here's an "awesome" from me @WetRats

That can be fun. plus it gives people you agree with some affirmation. Quite the opposite of mean-spiritedness after all :)

I suppose I could offer my favorite line from the film?

“Victory should be honored with revels.” —Thor
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Again, it's my own bias.

Your "hmph" made me laugh. And they say online tongue-in-cheek humor is dead!

Actually, no one ever said that. hmph... \:D/
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    The always-excellent podcast Song Exploder has a short episode with A:AoU composer Brian Tyler exploring how he put together the "Title Card" part of the score. For fans of composing, and storytelling in general, I thought it was a really fascinating insight into his process. You can download the podcast episode in the usual places, or find it, and more info, here.
  • Options
    CageNarleighCageNarleigh Posts: 729

As for Quicksilver—who is so fast he can run into a room, grab a dude’s gun, take the gun apart, and line up all of its bullets in a row on the table in less than 2 seconds. Can anyone explain him getting shot later on?

There are a few moments in the action where we see Quicksilver stop and take a break. He's visibly tired, panting (somewhat) and grabbing his sides. I think the "in movie" explanation is that he's been running full tilt for awhile throughout the battle and is becoming more and more exhausted.

Whether that translates well on screen or if it even makes sense is another matter entirely. But I'm fairly certain that, at least in movie, that's what they were going for.
  • Options
    TheOriginalGManTheOriginalGMan Posts: 1,763
    edited June 2015

As I do so often when pondering the mysteries of life, I turn to the Godfather movies for wisdom ...
  • Options

At this point, I hope there's always 2-3 credit scenes just because I'm tired of reading your dead horse kicking posts about it.

http://youtu.be/5DHIqUkmj-o

M
  • Options
    edited July 2015

Great summer blockbuster. I expect it will rake in $2 billion. I'm mildly disappointed that there wasn't more connective tissue to the Agents of SHIELD show. One might expect Maria Hill and Nick Fury to at least mention Coulson in the scene where they are alone. They both know he's alive. It would've been a nice nod to the show without affecting anything of merit. You'd think there was bad blood between the TV and film divisions

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=170&v=lsP1gCI5cv0

Other than that, I loved it and it's now in my top 5 Marvel movies.

My top 10 Marvel films:

10) Incredible Hulk
    9) Thor
    8) Iron Man 3
    7) Thor 2: Dark World
    6) Captain America: First Avenger
    5) Avengers: Age of Ultron
    4) Iron Man
    3) Avengers: Assemble
    2) Guardians of the Galaxy
    1) Captain America: Winter Soldier

It seems smarter for them not to mention Coulsen or AoS more then the nod they did. It'd confuse more people then it'd please. It's a limb, but based on the ratings of AoS, I'd say the majority of AoU's audience doesn't watch the show. That means, there's a greater chance people last knew Coulsen to be dead & SHIELD to have been shutdown. With all the criticisms of this movie being a spring board, why add another?

I believe, the purpose of Quicksilver running into the line of fire was to shield Burton & the kid. Sure he could've presumably just grabbed them & ran (was it established his strength level to carry a full grown man and a kid), but then again he was also inexperienced as a hear. Kinda like a certain farm boy in another franchise during his climatic fight.

M