Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Avengers: Age of Ultron (Now with SPOILERS)

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    The truncated battle-cry was very in-jokey and "meta" and a strange note to end a mass-market movie on.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    WetRats said:

The truncated battle-cry was very in-jokey and "meta" and a strange note to end a mass-market movie on.

Maybe, but I do think the idea of "Avengers Assemble" does have reach beyond the books these days, so it is less "in" than it used to be.

The Disney XD cartoon has it as its title. And I feel like I have seen the expression "Avengers assemble" on some ads for merchandising and such.

• Options
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

Maybe, but I do think the idea of "Avengers Assemble" does have reach beyond the books these days, so it is less "in" than it used to be.

The Disney XD cartoon has it as its title. And I feel like I have seen the expression "Avengers assemble" on some ads for merchandising and such.
    Perhaps.

The audience I saw it with was so nerderiffic, it's hard to judge.

If we'd known it was gonna be cut off, we would have probably all screamed it out.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Let's just say that I suspect they'll include the "Avengers Assemble!" line.
    Just going to leave it at that.

Yeah, I'm going to need more then that as an example. That's a weak example.

I won't suspect, I'm confident "Avengers Assemble" WILL be used by IW pt 2. It's like Cap picking up Thor's hammer. I didn't expect that in this movie. This is all a massive build up.

Why use the big canons with the appetizer & salad instead of the main course?!

M
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    WetRats said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

Perhaps.

If we'd known it was gonna be cut off, we would have probably all screamed it out.
    Agreed. The crowd I was with seemed to laugh knowingly, but were also a pretty nerded-up crowd.

I suppose the worst that could happen is that, as the ending is clearly a preview of the Avengers lineup to come, they just figure Cap is about to start giving orders/ training them/ etc.

I think the more important thing about that moment is less the cut off "...ASSEMBLE" part, I think that is the wink at the fans, and more that there is a room full of people that didn't used to be called Avengers who are now being addressed, by Cap and Widow, as the Avengers. (And just as importantly, there are some heavy hitters no longer in the room to be called that.)
  • Options
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

Perhaps.

Agreed. The crowd I was with seemed to laugh knowingly, but were also a pretty nerded-up crowd.

I suppose the worst that could happen is that, as the ending is clearly a preview of the Avengers lineup to come, they just figure Cap is about to start giving orders/ training them/ etc.

I think the more important thing about that moment is less the cut off "...ASSEMBLE" part, I think that is the wink at the fans, and more that there is a room full of people that didn't used to be called Avengers who are now being addressed, by Cap and Widow, as the Avengers. (And just as importantly, there are some heavy hitters no longer in the room to be called that.)
    Fewer heavy-hitters means less collateral damage, one would hope.

If I were Cap, I'd far rather have War Machine, Falcon and Vision on my team than Iron Man, Thor and Hulk. Slightly less firepower, but far more discipline.

Of course, I'm totally a Team Cap kinda guy...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    David_D said:

WetRats said:

David_D said:

WetRats said:

Perhaps.

Widow & Cap were talking about whipping them into shape. Half the new recruits have had no formal training, so it'd make sense.

Another movie (broken into 2 parts) is already on the horizon. I think if in every movie the battle cry was used, it'd become overly used. We know there's an epic battle coming up. How much more weighted would it sound if part 1 ended with it or better yet, the moment all is lost & Cap raises Thor's hammer?

It might not be the "traditional" way for the team, but there are decades of comic books & the MCU with these guys has a shelf life.

M
  • Options
    playdohsrepublicplaydohsrepublic Posts: 1,377

I feel like the "old friends" who secured Fury's Helicarrier are Coulson's team.

That's actually made explicitly clear in the first five minutes of this week's AoS.
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    If you had to pick a moment that was your favorite what would it be?

It's hard to narrow it down to just one but for me I think it was Vision saving Wanda. It was a great scene on it's own but knowing their history together almost made my eyeballs sweat.
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

It's hard to narrow it down to just one but for me I think it was Vision saving Wanda. It was a great scene on it's own but knowing their history together almost made my eyeballs sweat.

Hands down, it's Barton's pep talk to Wanda.

M
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

When the Vision pick up the hammer.. Great scene and callback to what could be nothing but ended up being really important..
  • Options
    Mr_Cosmic said:

Hulk at the end of the first fight. His attempt to keep his undirected rage focused after all the enemies were down was beautifully portrayed, as was the transition back to Banner.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586

I feel like the "old friends" who secured Fury's Helicarrier are Coulson's team.

That's actually made explicitly clear in the first five minutes of this week's AoS.
    I know. That comment was posted before the episode. Consider it a prediction I got right. ;)
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    Favorite moment for me was the iron man Thor fight followed by Hawkeyes speech to Wanda and to a lesser extent Caps speech to the team. Least favorite... Wanda's awful fake accent.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    David_D said:

batlaw said:

Favorite moment for me was the iron man Thor fight followed by Hawkeyes speech to Wanda and to a lesser extent Caps speech to the team. Least favorite... Wanda's awful fake accent.

Well. It is a fake country. For all we know, that is a totally impeccable local accent! :)
    Haha, that reminds me of people complaining Gal Gadot doesn't look like an Amazonian.

M
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    edited May 2015
    Matt said:

David_D said:

batlaw said:

Well. It is a fake country. For all we know, that is a totally impeccable local accent! :)
    Haha, that reminds me of people complaining Gal Gadot doesn't look like an Amazon.

M
    True. I'd certainly buy Blu-Rays and trade paperbacks from her.
  • Options
    Damn you autocorrect. You've chucked me before!

M
  • Options
    bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    the entire ocean 11 / avengers cocktail party
  • Options
    Matt said:

David_D said:

batlaw said:

Haha, that reminds me of people complaining Gal Gadot doesn't look like an Amazonian.

M

I thought he was a Cardassian?
  • Options
    The first Avengers movie was stronger in a few ways, but I think I personally prefer Age of Ultron. I love android/robot superheroes and supervillains, so seeing Ultron and Vision on the big screen in the same movie was a real treat. The action and easter eggs were awesome, of course. The thing I found most compelling about Ultron in this movie was his God complex. I wish they'd done more with that, but I like how it became more pronounced as the movie went on. Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch were pretty cool, and I liked that they gave Hawkeye a little bit of much-needed depth. I loved every little thing about Vision.

I had a lot of fun, but a few complaints. I wasn't a fan of some of the things they did with Black Widow. The whole sterilization bit made me kind of uncomfortable with its implication that that made Natasha a monster, and I didn't much care for the execution of the Banner/Romanov romance on the whole. I noticed they kept Thor away from the action a lot. It seems to me that most of the time they just didn't know what to do about how powerful he was, so he got shunted off to various elsewheres.

All in all, though, I liked AoU a lot, and I like where things are in the Cinematic Universe going into Civil War.
  • Options

The whole sterilization bit made me kind of uncomfortable with its implication that that made Natasha a monster

There was no implication that sterilization made her a monster.

It was her training.

She mentioned the sterilization because Banner was worried about making incredibly dangerous Hulklets.
  • Options
    WetRats said:

The whole sterilization bit made me kind of uncomfortable with its implication that that made Natasha a monster

It was her training.

She mentioned the sterilization because Banner was worried about making incredibly dangerous Hulklets.
    Oh? I took it that he was worried about Hulking out in the middle of "hiding the Zucchini."

:\">
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451
    edited May 2015
    Mr_Cosmic said:

WetRats said:

It was her training.

Oh? I took it that he was worried about Hulking out in the middle of "hiding the Zucchini."

:\">
    Kinda gives new meaning to the phrase "Getting angry."

• Options
    edited May 2015

This was pretty much the "puny god" moment.

The crowd went wild.

That and Vision and Mjolnir.
  • Options
    Question... What's the consensus on Hawkeyes status at the end of AoU? Did he quit the avengers? Other than his absence from the final new group scene, what did I miss that implied he quit as some people are saying?
  • Options
    batlaw said:

Question... What's the consensus on Hawkeyes status at the end of AoU? Did he quit the avengers? Other than his absence from the final new group scene, what did I miss that implied he quit as some people are saying?

Family leave.

The Avengers have great bennies.
  • Options
    batlaw said:

He told Laura this was the last mission.

M
  • Options
    Hmmm. I totally missed that. Wife didn't catch it either.