Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

How I Learned to Stop Worrying (About the Box Office) and Love the Bomb.

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Just a few of my faves I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Brazil
    The Adventures of Baron Munchausen
    Hudson Hawk
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I wonder how many of these bombs are on Netflix? Is John Carter? I've never seen it.
  • Options
    hauberkhauberk Posts: 1,511
    I think that this is largely true with a lot of media for me. I seem to be an outlier in much of my fandom (though not all).

Movie-wise:

Bladerunner
    Highlander
    Big Trouble in Little China
    Buckaroo Banzai
    Dune
    Flash Gordon
    13th Warrior
    The Blood of Heroes
    Slipstream
    Flesh+Blood
    Streets of Fire
    Near Dark
    Saturn 3

Less flop and more obscure:

The Abominable Dr Phibes

@WetRats: Knightriders is a spectacular deep track!
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

WetRats said:

Popeye

A thousand times yes. What a beautifully weird little movie that is, and probably one of the most literal comics-to-screen translations ever, since what Robert Altman really made was Thimble Theatre: The Movie.

Agreed! I loved that film! I even bought the Harry Niilsson soundtrack at the time!
  • Options
    hauberk said:

I just read that they've greenlit a remake of this with Dewayne "The Rock" Johnson. I'm pretty sure I don't like the idea of anyone remaking it, but I'm trying to be more positive these days... perhaps they'll persuade John Carpenter to direct?

• Options

hauberk said:

I just read that they've greenlit a remake of this with Dewayne "The Rock" Johnson. I'm pretty sure I don't like the idea of anyone remaking it, but I'm trying to be more positive these days... perhaps they'll persuade John Carpenter to direct?

I like Johnson, but what made that movie was Kurt Russell’s delivery. Johnson won't be able to replicate that, and without it the movie loses 85% of its charm.

Unlike Blade Runner, I wouldn't mind someone making a sequel with someone else (not Johnson) playing Burton, but there's no need to remake the original. Just pick it up and move it to another location with another crazy adventure. He's a truck driver. He drives all across the country. There's no need to bring back any of the other characters.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    WetRats said:

Idiocracy.

That movie is a cult classic!
    luke52 said:

Is Waterworld considered a flop? I enjoy it.

It was dubbed the "king of bombs", even though it broke even when combining US box office with home release and international.

Speed Racer is unfairly maligned. It's fun, funny, and damn visual delight... one of the first movies I bought when I got a Blu-Ray player.

I enjoyed that movie. It was loud, colorful, and fun!
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615

hauberk said:

Perfect. Jack Burton basically spouted of third person wrestling lines, and the Rock was one of the best At that.
  • Options
    luckymustardluckymustard Posts: 927

hauberk said:

I like Johnson, but what made that movie was Kurt Russell’s delivery.
    I just heard that what Russell was doing for his delivery in that movie was a John Wayne imitation.
  • Options

hauberk said:

I like Johnson, but what made that movie was Kurt Russell’s delivery.
    I just heard that what Russell was doing for his delivery in that movie was a John Wayne imitation.
    Well, yeah. But that's really just in his vocal rhythm and some of his body language, like the way he moves his shoulders, but he plussed it for comedic effect in a way that made it feel natural. I think there are other actors who could pull it off, but I don't think Johnson is one of them.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    mwhitt80 said:

Ok I've seen Big Trouble on this list twice. Who says that is a bad movie? I've never met a person who openly admitted to disliking it.

The subject isn't bad movies, it's films that failed to thrive at the box office.

All the ones I've listed (and Big Trouble, which I forgot about) are favorites.
  • Options

hauberk said:

I like Johnson, but what made that movie was Kurt Russell’s delivery. Johnson won't be able to replicate that, and without it the movie loses 85% of its charm.

Unlike Blade Runner, I wouldn't mind someone making a sequel with someone else (not Johnson) playing Burton, but there's no need to remake the original. Just pick it up and move it to another location with another crazy adventure. He's a truck driver. He drives all across the country. There's no need to bring back any of the other characters.
    I agree, it was Kurt Russell that made that movie what it was. Anyone you can think of that could pull off a sequel? Just spitballing ideas, but maybe Chris Pratt?

• Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    Kind of on a related note, I saw a top 23 movies on Netflix that you've never seen list in my Facebook feed the other day. While I have seen a few on this list, as the article assumes, I haven't seen most of them.

http://agoodmovietowatch.com/netflix/23-best-netflix/
  • Options
    Fade2BlackFade2Black Posts: 1,457
    A couple movies that weren't particularly well-received in the U.S. but were embraced by foreign markets that I liked were Tintin and Stardust.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

hauberk said:

I agree, it was Kurt Russell that made that movie what it was. Anyone you can think of that could pull off a sequel? Just spitballing ideas, but maybe Chris Pratt?
    Has everyone forgotten how funny DJ was in "Be Cool"?
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I don't think anyone's doubting DJ's ability to make even a bland movie fun, but the real trick to Big Trouble is, in addition to Russell's delivery of the lines, that Jack Burton is a complete idiot, right up to the "It's All in the Reflexes" ending. Says the wrong thing at the wrong time, can't use a gun properly, gets it handed to him repeatedly throughout the film, yet somehow manages to survive. That's the charm of the whole thing.

I have a hard time believing they're going to write Johnson's version of the character like that. I'll be happy to be proven wrong on that, though.
  • Options
    SolitaireRoseSolitaireRose Posts: 1,445
    One of the movies I have deep, abiding love for did so poorly it still hasn't come to DVD: Electric Dreams.

A soundtrack by ELO, Virginia Madson in an early role, a BEAUTIFUL sequence showing falling in love over music and a very 80's plot, I was surprised when it died on arrival when I saw it in the theater back in 1984, and probably saw it 3 or 4 times in the two weeks it was out, and then over and over on VHS. I introduced TONS of people to it, and not a one disliked it.

::sigh::
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited June 2015
    Shock Treatment. I personally like it a lot more than Rocky Horror. Especially the soundtrack.

Also, while I'm thinking of musicals I enjoy that flopped upon release, Forbidden Zone ranks up there for me as well. Best thing Richard Elfman did when he wasn't busy being one of Deborah Blake's schizophrenic hallucinations.
  • Options
    DARDAR Posts: 1,128
    John Carter
    Hudson Hawk
    The Lone Ranger
  • Options
    Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    DAR said:

John Carter
    Hudson Hawk
    The Lone Ranger

Sounds like the makings of a rock 'n' roll band.
  • Options
    popestupopestu Posts: 782

I think this is more in the major disappointment than bomb category but I love Star Trek V: The Final Frontier.

There are LOTS of issues with it but I find it to be an enjoyable mess. The scene with Kirk questioning/giving attitude to what at the time everyone thought was a divine being is a classic Kirk moment.

In college, we had a Star Trek weekend. It involved cases of beer, cold duck sparkling wine and drinking when something funny happened (usually a Kirk moment).

Final Frontier made us drink the most. Kirk rock climbing starts the drunken merriment.
  • Options
    edited June 2015

Zardoz
    Orca
    Barbarella

These are my top three favorite movies of all time. While Barbarella is the only "bomb" on the list, none of them enjoyed the success I believe they deserve, performing poorly at the box office and receiving many negative or mixed reviews upon release.

I highly recommend all three, especially Orca for it's tragic and beautiful Morricone soundtrack and a stellar performance by Richard Harris.

I Made my wife watch Barbarella with me. She wasn't sure what to think. Was it parady or serious? Yes, dear. It is.
  • Options
    Torchsong said:

13th Warrior is a great movie. One of my all-time favorites.

Yes, yes, yes! Love it.
    Antonio meet Beowulf.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    shroud68 said:

The 13th Warrior

I love that movie. Its fast paced, funny, exciting and great looking. I constantly hear it trashed and can't understand why. John McTeirnan was thrown off it but you still see his flair in some of the scenes. It has buddy cop, fish out of water and quotable scenes all through out. It shows us a slice of history little visited in cinema. Antonio Banderas was never used better, despite playing an Arab it never felt like Kevin Costner playing Robin Hood. There is a battle scene that ranks high on my action movie scene list when a attacking calvary is beaten back by a small mobile squad of Vikings. Watch that riveting scene and dismiss all the rotten tomatoes that this movie gets.

I have never been a believer of "they say it stinks". Judge for yourself. If they say Big Trouble in Little China or John Carter are no good, they can go see what they want.

If you're in this forum and have seen 13 Warrior give it a try. Its a solid two hours at minimum.

My brother and i were big fans of BigTrouble in Little China.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    I saw Popeye in theatres. Second movieni ever saw in theatres. Love it!
  • Options
    kiwijase said:

The 1981 movie version of Flash Gordon .

One of the best movies ever made. And lets not forget the soundtrack. My wife and oldest son watched it win me once. My wife claims not to remember it. I'm not sure what to make of hat.
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    Army of Darkness.
  • Options
    Evening639Evening639 Posts: 368
    edited June 2015
    popestu said:

Zardoz
    Orca
    Barbarella

These are my top three favorite movies of all time. While Barbarella is the only "bomb" on the list, none of them enjoyed the success I believe they deserve, performing poorly at the box office and receiving many negative or mixed reviews upon release.

I highly recommend all three, especially Orca for it's tragic and beautiful Morricone soundtrack and a stellar performance by Richard Harris.

Unharmed my wife watch Barbarella with me. She wasn't sure what to think. Was it parasympathetic or serious? Yes, dear. It is.
    I showed my wife Barbarella a year or two after we started dating unsure of what her reaction would be. She loved it. In fact, I have a Barbarella t-shirt that she told me she wants if I ever decide I don't want it. She's already laid claim to my Lifeforce t-shirt.

• Options
    The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension
  • Options
    Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins