Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    The same month Nick provided a cover for Tomahawk #120 (Jan.-Feb. 1969). Nick’s strong silhouettes and a nice coloring job make this one stand out.

• Options
    DC debuted a new bi-monthly horror title in 1969, The Witching Hour, and Nick drew the covers for that first year (except for #3, which he inked over Mike Sekowsky’s pencils), and many more thereafter. Those first six covers each featured an old crone witch lurking just out of sight of some unsuspecting victim. He really enjoyed drawing that old witch.

This is probably my favorite out of that initial bunch.

• Options
    Such great storytelling and body language in all the Cardy covers....

Here's a random cover from '74 -- Jim Starlin pencils, inks by Frank Giacoia.

I was fascinated with these Zodiac characters as a kid, and this issue was during the time I was a HUGE Avengers fan.

• Options
    1969 was another good year for Teen Titans covers. Maybe not as strong overall as ’68, but there are some classics in there. But Nick’s favorite of those covers might not be the one you're expecting. No, it's not the iconic Wonder Girl cover featuring her new costume (which Nick designed). It’s actually the preceding issue, Teen Titans #22 (Jul.-Aug. 1969).

Nick made Wonder Girl’s breast the center point of an explosion. Everything leads the eye there, though there are enough opposing lines of action to keep the composition interesting. That’s the way you sell a comic!
  • Options
    My favorite Aquaman cover of 1969 could almost pass for a romance cover... except for the seemingly dead body of Aquaman lying in the foreground. Just a great composition.

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    John Romita Sr from 1968
  • Options
    I had the Marvel Tales version of that Mysterio issue. Fun stuff, as I recall.

And that Aquaman Cardy cover -- wow! Please keep them coming, Eric!
  • Options
    Not to put down JRS, but, personally, I was never a big John Romita Sr fan. I remember losing a lot of interest in the Spider-Man book at the time after Ditko had left; I always felt that it looked like Peter Parker had put on about forty pounds of baby fat during Romita's run. I also thought his work was more bland than Ditko's more dynamic approach. I only picked up the title sporadically after Ditko's departure, and, several years later when I looked back at what I kept, I realized that I usually picked up issues that were done by other artists, or had (in my opinion) better inkers -- like John Buscema or Jim Mooney. I remember I started picking it up again on a regular basis when Gil Kane started pencilling, and I was definitely there when Ross Andru came along.

I did find Romita's later art to be more interesting during the 70's, but then he started phasing more toward Art Director duties and did less story art.
  • Options
    Sadly, Bat Lash came to an end with issue #7 (Oct.-Nov. 1969). This final issue has my second-favorite cover of the series. An excellent perspective shot with another great composition.

• Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I totally disagree on Romita Senior. I find his work beautiful, as essential to Spider-Man's classic look (and subsequent popularity) as Curt Swan was to Superman or John Byrne was to the X-Men. I frankly think Amazing Spider-Man improved when Ditko left, which I know puts me in a tiny minority, but so be it; Ditko was a quirky guy with a quirky style, and seems more suited to today's indy memoir comics than superhero books of 45 years ago.
  • Options
    WebheadWebhead Posts: 458
    RickM said:

I totally disagree on Romita Senior. I find his work beautiful, as essential to Spider-Man's classic look (and subsequent popularity) as Curt Swan was to Superman or John Byrne was to the X-Men. I frankly think Amazing Spider-Man improved when Ditko left, which I know puts me in a tiny minority, but so be it; Ditko was a quirky guy with a quirky style, and seems more suited to today's indy memoir comics than superhero books of 45 years ago.

You can include me in that minority
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    edited December 2013
    RickM said:

When I think of Spider-Man in motion, I picture Ditko's art.

When I picture Peter Parker, Gwen, MJ, Harry, Flash, JJJ, any of Spider-Man's friends and/or foes, the faces I see were drawn by Romita.

Then, of course, there's this:

Though I prefer Ditko's more energetic, more abstract style, when Romita came in after his inevitable departure, we all hit the jackpot.
  • Options
    Yeah, I know I'm pretty much in the minority about Romita, Sr. But that's how I feel about it. Not everybody likes the same things.

I don't dislike Romita, though, and I don't feel that way about all of his art jobs; I just liked his later work much better than his earlier work.
  • Options
    Nick did several romance covers in 1969, but Girls’ Romances #144 (Oct. 1969) is the hands-down winner, and so we’ll leave the ’60s in groovy fashion.

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Nick did several romance covers in 1969, but Girls’ Romances #144 (Oct. 1969) is the hands-down winner, and so we’ll leave the ’60s in groovy fashion.

Damn.

Just damn.
  • Options
    Rather than go with the iconic Aqualad-punching-Robin cover, I thought I’d post an equally nice, if slightly less dramatic, Teen Titans cover from 1970. I love the inking on this one.

• Options
    Webhead said:

RickM said:

You can include me in that minority
    I agree that JRSr defined the look of Spider-Man for decades. And on covers he blows Ditko out of the water, every iconic cover from that period that comes to mind is a Romita. But the last 15 or so issues of ASM that Ditko did, the interiors are among the best that has ever been done with the character. I'd be hard pressed to find any story Romita did with as much energy and life.
  • Options

Matt Baker would have been 92 today, so here's a little Canteen Kate, my favorite stuff from him.

I want to start a band called "Yokohama Melodrama"
  • Options

Matt Baker would have been 92 today, so here's a little Canteen Kate, my favorite stuff from him.

I want to start a band called "Yokohama Melodrama"
    Your big hit can be “Something for the Boys.”
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Issue 2: "All the Fellas Have the Clap"
  • Options
    Nick did several more romance cover in 1970, but my favorite of them is Girls’ Romances #148 (Apr. 1970)—not just because of the figures themselves, but because I really like the textures he got for the girl's blouse and skirt and the boy's sweater. You can almost feel the fabrics.

• Options
    For 1970’s horror cover selection, I’m going with Unexpected #119 (June-July 1970). Not as interesting as the early Witching Hour covers, but a nice image. Although, Nick took some artistic license here, because that candle couldn't have cast that shadow. You might even say it’s an unexpected trick of the light.

• Options
    Nick did his first two issues of Brave and the Bold (covers and interiors) in 1970. The two covers are probably the best two covers he did for the series. I’m going with the second, issue #92 (Oct.-Nov. 1970). Normally, Nick inked primarily with a brush, but for this cover he used a lot more pen. The thinner blacks help give the image that misty look of foggy London. I’m not sure if Nick did the half-tones or not, but they were probably done by the production department.

• Options

Nick did his first two issues of Brave and the Bold (covers and interiors) in 1970. The two covers are probably the best two covers he did for the series. I’m going with the second, issue #92 (Oct.-Nov. 1970). Normally, Nick inked primarily with a brush, but for this cover he used a lot more pen. The thinner blacks help give the image that misty look of foggy London. I’m not sure if Nick did the half-tones or not, but they were probably done by the production department.

I almost posted this cover myself. I thought the particular idea for this team-up -- the 'Bat-Squad' -- was pretty goofy, even at that time (an obvious play on TV's The Mod Squad), but it wound up being one of my favorites for the lovely interior work Cardy did. And I liked his Batman more than I liked his Superman, so I really enjoyed his stint on B&B.
  • Options

I almost posted this cover myself. I thought the particular idea for this team-up -- the 'Bat-Squad' -- was pretty goofy, even at that time (an obvious play on TV's The Mod Squad), but it wound up being one of my favorites for the lovely interior work Cardy did. And I liked his Batman more than I liked his Superman, so I really enjoyed his stint on B&B.
    Yeah, this issue had some of Nick’s best interior work. I particularly like how the panel shapes and the fog on page 2 lead into the splash on page 3. Good stuff.