Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    And my favorite Aquaman cover from 1967, featuring that awesome Aquachick, Tula! Go Team Tula!

• Options
    One last cover for 1967—the one non-Titans, non-Aquaman cover Nick did that year—House of Mystery #171. You generally don't see covers with solid black backgrounds like this, but it certainly stands out. I particularly like the different inking techniques Nick used on each of the monsters.

• Options
    On to 1968, which was turning point in many ways for Nick. In mid-to late ’67, Carmine Infantino was put in charge of designing covers for DC. By this time, both artists were very design-oriented, though Nick wasn’t always allowed the freedom to show it.

Very quickly into their new working relationship, Carmine and Nick developed a back-and-forth approach. It wasn’t just Carmine handing Nick a sketch and saying, “Go draw this.” They would hash out ideas in the office, then Nick might still make minor—or occasionally not so minor—changes once he sat down to draw. The results really start to show with the Jan.-Feb. 1968 cover-dated issues of Teen Titans (shown below) and Aquaman (come back tomorrow).

When Nick drew the cover for Teen Titans #13, he was on the verge of quitting DC. He hadn’t gotten a raise in all his time with the company, and by the time he’d sat down to draw the issue, he’d been denied a raise in a face-to-face meeting with then-DC President Irwin Donenfeld. According to Carmine, Donenfeld didn’t care much for Nick’s work (nor did Production Manager Sol Harrison). Luckily, Carmine knew big changes were afoot, and he convinced Nick to stay on.

Nick wasn’t happy with the coloring on this one, as the background was colored so dark that it really obscured the linework. I think the concept of making the background a single color in order to highlight the Christmas tree shape was a sound one, but it was poorly executed.
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Something old from 1992AD by Carlos Ezquerra
  • Options
    and something new by INJ Culbard 2013AD
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    Caliban said:

and something new by INJ Culbard 2013AD

The recent covers have been so pretty.

It's a nice change from the classic "celebrate the grotesque" approach.
  • Options
    That one is, indeed, amazing. There needs to be an "Awesomex2" button....
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited November 2013
    1968 was a great year for Cardy covers. Here’s an often overlooked gem done for Secret Six #2 (June-July 1968). The coloring on this one really puts the exclamation point on it.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    edited November 2013
    And that brings us to Showcase #76 (Aug. 1968), the origin and first appearance of Bat Lash. This was easily Nick’s favorite series to work on. He liked westerns (he even did a series of western paintings in the early ’80s), the humor aspects played to his changing style, and he was able to contribute much more concept-wise and story-wise than at any other time in his career (and I think this was the biggest factor). Plus, there were plenty of pretty girls to draw!

Though the series was in the vein of the Maverick TV show, Nick modeled Bat Lash very loosely on Robert Redford (this was just before Redford starred in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid).

I like how, even in his Wanted poster, Bat has his eyes on the lady.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    edited November 2013
    Finally my favorite of the cardy. Thank you sir. Geez I love these covers.
  • Options
    With Nick gearing up on the new Bat Lash series, he had to give up Teen Titans—though he did stay on as cover artist. Teen Titans #17 (Sept.–Oct. 1968) was his last issue doing full interior art—but he would return with issue #20 as the inker (over Neal Adams and Gil Kane), and eventually would come back to pencil and ink the series.

This cover doesn’t quite go all-out psychedelic, but the fisheye lens perspective (besides being tricky to pull off) gives a hint of that flavor.

• Options
    1968 also marked the arrival of Dick Giordano at DC Comics, and with him many of his former Charlton freelancers, including Steve Skeates and Jim Aparo, as well as Denny O’Neil, who we’ll get back to tomorrow. With Giordano taking over the editorship of Aquaman, he installed Skeates and Aparo as the new creative team, though Nick, as with Teen Titans, was kept on as cover artist.

Issue #40 (July–Aug.) marked the debut of the new direction, and it featured one of Nick’s best Aquaman covers. Nick really liked the flow of the piece and its graceful (my word, not his) curves.

• Options
    I'm doing something a little different day on account of it being Thanksgiving Day. This cover for Plop! #2 (Nov.-Dec. 1973) is by the one-of-a-kind Basil Wolverton.

But before you think I’ve changed subjects, in that issue of Plop! was a seven-page story written by George Kashdan and penciled and inked by Nick Cardy, “The Man Who Came to Dinner.” It’s a story fitting for the day, and one of Nick’s favorites he worked on. I won’t spoil the ending, but here’s the best page from the story. Back to the normal routine tomorrow. Happy Thanksgiving!

• Options
    I loved Plop back in the day (though I barely remember what the interiors were like). Still loving seeing all the Cardy covers, too.

I finally made the jump to "1974" last night for my random cover of the day.

So, Happy Thanksgiving to those of you in the US, and here's the Cap cover that came up today, with pencils by John Romita Sr....

• Options

I loved Plop back in the day (though I barely remember what the interiors were like). Still loving seeing all the Cardy covers, too.

I finally made the jump to "1974" last night for my random cover of the day.

So, Happy Thanksgiving to those of you in the US, and here's the Cap cover that came up today, with pencils by John Romita Sr....

Romita also inked the figures. Tony Mortellaro inked the backgrounds.

Not a particularly special cover, but I’ve always liked Romita’s Cap.
  • Options
    From 1974, with pencils & inks by Bob Oksner...wow, I *loved* all those 60-cent 100-pagers...I couldn't get enough of them.

• Options

From 1974, with pencils & inks by Bob Oksner...wow, I *loved* all those 60-cent 100-pagers...I couldn't get enough of them.

I was all about the 100-pagers too. I had one of the Shazam! 100-pagers when I was a kid—the cover fell off at some point in mid-’70s.
  • Options
    I also have a growing appreciation for Bob Oksner, thanks to you @nweathington , my random cover program, and this thread...that Shazam cover is a lot of fun and I'm pretty sure I owned this one...
  • Options
    As I mentioned in the Nick Cardy thread, the cover for Bat Lash #2 (Dec. 1968-Jan. 1969) was not only Nick’s favorite of his Bat Lash covers, but probably his favorite cover overall. And the story inside this issue is probably the comic story he was most proud of, as he plotted it and got to tell the story exactly the way he wanted. It’s probably been posted in this thread as well, but it’s well worth seeing again.

• Options
    That's a truly fantastic cover, both in terms of composition and storytelling...
  • Options

I also have a growing appreciation for Bob Oksner, thanks to you @nweathington , my random cover program, and this thread...that Shazam cover is a lot of fun and I'm pretty sure I owned this one...

Oksner’s also penciled the main story in that issue. I had the issue before that one, which at one point had the Oksner cover attached.

• Options
    Monster Society! Yes! (Thanks for posting...)
  • Options

As I mentioned in the Nick Cardy thread, the cover for Bat Lash #2 (Dec. 1968-Jan. 1969) was not only Nick’s favorite of his Bat Lash covers, but probably his favorite cover overall. And the story inside this issue is probably the comic story he was most proud of, as he plotted it and got to tell the story exactly the way he wanted. It’s probably been posted in this thread as well, but it’s well worth seeing again.

As I've said before, I think this may well be the finest comic book cover ever printed.
  • Options
    2013AD Mark Harrison
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    Because Oksner didn't sign his covers, I just assumed many of the Superman ones were drawn by Curt Swan. Both men perfectly captured the house look. Even 40 years later I'm still surprised to see that I was wrong about the artist.
  • Options
    We leave 1968 with a cougar on the prowl in Nick’s cover for Young Romance #157 (Dec. 1968-Jan. 1969). With The Graduate released the previous year, and Simon & Garfunkel’s “Mrs. Robinson” hitting #1 earlier in the year, this plot was a no-brainer for the romance comics. And Nick drew two beautiful age-appropriate women.

• Options
    A fun Jim Aparo cover from 1974 for today...

• Options

We leave 1968 with a cougar on the prowl in Nick’s cover for Young Romance #157 (Dec. 1968-Jan. 1969). With The Graduate released the previous year, and Simon & Garfunkel’s “Mrs. Robinson” hitting #1 earlier in the year, this plot was a no-brainer for the romance comics. And Nick drew two beautiful age-appropriate women.

Groovy!
  • Options
    1969 started off with a bang with this dramatic cover to Spectre #8 (Jan.-Feb. 1969). It’s a simple design, but it certainly grabs your attention. The colorist did a nice job with this one.