Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

WetRats said:

One more from the 4/$10 boxes: Inferior 5 #12, with art by Joe Orlando and Mike Esposito. In this one they fight a parody of the Avengers.

Love me some I5!

However, their footprints don't match their footwear. It's bugged me since I got that issue in the 70s.
    True, but the payoff of the gag is the hole in the wall and the cliff just outside the hole. The footsteps’ only purpose is to get you from the battered-down door to the hole in the wall as quickly as possible. You aren’t meant to really look at them. I think having the footsteps match the I5’s footwear would likely make you stop and look at the footsteps and try to match them to their respective owners—and, let’s face it, Merryman’s footprints would definitely draw attention to themselves—thereby messing up the timing of the gag and weakening the real punchline.
    You are completely right.

However, it's something that 15-year-old WetRats noticed and stuck with him all these years.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    Since today it was announced that @Pants is stepping back - how about posting some covers on which a hero is saying farewell? Are there any?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
  • Options
    How about...

...or even...

• Options
    I can't find the one with Superboy leaving Smallville when they had the giant cake.

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Cover by Vince Argondezzi and Tony DeZuniga.
  • Options
    Cover by Neal Adams.
  • Options
    Cover by Ross Andru and Dick Giordano.
  • Options
    And I had to save Hawkeye for last. Hawkeye!

Cover pencils by John Buscema, inks maybe John Verpoorten.
  • Options
    Webhead said:

There's forever, and then there's "forever".
  • Options
    What a bunch of drama queens!
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    awesome stuff B-)

• Options

Hmm... on the other hand, that seems a bit too acrimonious for Pants' departure.

Maybe I should save this in case he suddenly signs up with another podcast...?
  • Options
    Today marks the birthday of Bob Montana (1920-75). MLJ wasn’t the first company he worked for, but he was there early on, and he spent the majority of his career doing work for them. His first cover, not coincidentally, featured the first cover appearance by his most famous creation, Archie Andrews—Jackpot Comics #4 (Winter 1941).

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Just because I picked up a copy of this at the Lakes Comic art festival this last weekend, and because it's gorgeous.
    From 1971
    :\">
  • Options
    My favorite issue of New Gods.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    edited October 2013
    @Caliban
    Is that a blacklight cover?
  • Options
    edited October 2013
    mwhitt80 said:

@Caliban
    Is that a blacklight cover?

No, it’s not, but the coloring certainly may have been inspired by the black light posters. And the coloring was based on Kirby’s own color presentation art.

The real story behind the cover is actually a bit more interesting. For the full details go to the Kirby Museum site.
  • Options
    Happy 82nd birthday to Larry Lieber! A lot of people tend to overlook Stan’s younger brother, but Larry was there at Marvel from the beginning. In fact his first comic book work appeared in 1951 (he had worked in the art department of Timely’s magazine division starting in the early ’40s up to that point), before even the Atlas days of the company. However, because of a four-year stint in the Air Force during the Korean War, Larry’s comic book career didn't really kick in until 1956.

In 1958, when Atlas laid off most of its staff, Larry was kept on not only as an artist, but as a writer. Even then Stan couldn’t do it all himself. Larry wrote several romance stories during that time, and in the early ’60s, he scripted a great many of the monster stories from Stan’s plots as well. He was a big part of helping Atlas get through the lean years.

No, he wasn’t a great writer, or a great artist for that matter, but his work was professional and solid, and he made his fair share of contributions to Marvel mythology. Among other things, he scripted the early Thor stories, including the origin (coming up with the term “uru metal” for Mjolnir); the origin of Iron Man; and nine Ant-Man stories, including the origin. And in later years he would serve as editor of Marvel UK, and as the artist on the Amazing Spider-Man newspaper strip and writer/artist on the Incredible Hulk newspaper strip, both of which were probably more widely read than their comic book counterparts.

But where he thrived was with the westerns in the mid- to late ’60s. In fact, he finally got his first cover assignment with Rawhide Kid #48 (Oct. 1965). You can definitely see the Kirby influence in his work.

Okay, so he’s not Stan Lee or Jack Kirby, but it bugs me a little when his name keeps getting swept under the rug as if he wasn’t even there.
  • Options

Okay, so he’s not Stan Lee or Jack Kirby, but it bugs me a little when his name keeps getting swept under the rug as if he wasn’t even there.

Is that because of the Atlas Comics fiasco?
  • Options
    WetRats said:

Is that because of the Atlas Comics fiasco?
    No, I don’t really think so. I mean, he came back to edit the Marvel UK line right after Atlas went under. If there was any bad blood, it was with Goodman and Jeff Rovin, not so much with Larry.
  • Options
    In response to today’s big news, DC goes Hollywood!

Cover pencils and inks by Irwin Hasen.
  • Options
    Continuing the theme, Sensation Comics #88 (Apr. 1949). Cover art by Harry G. Peter.

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,617
    edited November 2013

No, it’s not, but the coloring certainly may have been inspired by the black light posters. And the coloring was based on Kirby’s own color presentation art.

The real story behind the cover is actually a bit more interesting. For the full details go to the Kirby Museum site.

Thanks and that's pretty awesome. I've got the Fourth World Omnibus (back when DC released them as an HC) and the colors do not pop like that cover image. I love the way the coloring looks on the cover of New Gods 1. It kind of sets the tone for what the Fourth World saga will become. The first 3/4s of the saga were really amazing (both in his art and his story).
  • Options
    Nothing says Halloween like Dick Briefer’s Frankenstein. A lot of the Briefer stories have been collected now, and I highly recommend them.

• Options
    edited November 2013
    Nick Cardy’s last cover for the Eisner/Iger Studio before heading off to war—Jumbo Comics #70 (Dec. 1944). Nick was drafted on April Fool’s day of ’43. It’s a bit ironic that Nick’s last printed cover before entering the Service featured a black panther, as he would soon be an assistant tank driver in the Black Panther Division, and he drew the shoulder patch the division wore on their uniforms.

Edit: Actually, I think he left the Eisner/Iger Studio a few months before he got drafted, and this was a freelance assignment.
  • Options
    Nick Cardy’s first cover for DC, Gang Busters #15 (Apr.-May 1950).

• Options
    Following the cancellation of Congo Bill in 1955, Nick became the artist for another short-lived series, The Legends of Daniel Boone, drawing all eight covers and every “Daniel Boone” interior story (the book also featured characters such as Buck Skinner, Chief Hot Foot, and a couple of others, who were drawn by other artists).