Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    DC 100 Page Super Spectacular #8
    (published as Batman Vol 1 #238)
    January 1972

Cover Artists: Neal Adams, Dick Giordano

This one featured many first appearances, including Doom Patrol

• Options
    edited October 2014
    And here's a new one for @Caliban

Predator vs. Judge Dredd vs. Aliens
    coming out later this month :)
    Cover art by Henry Flint

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,745
    Bob Haney's first story for DC appeared in All-American Men of War #17 (Jan. 1955). Both the story (pencils only) and the cover (pencils and inks) were drawn by Jerry Grandenetti.

• Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245

And here's a new one for @Caliban

Predator vs. Judge Dredd vs. Aliens
    coming out later this month :)
    Cover art by Henry Flint

Need to throw in the kitchen sink!
  • Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    edited October 2014
  • Options
    AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    edited October 2014

Just for fun...
    Marvel Comics
    Master of Kung-Fu Annual #1
    April 1976
    Cover by Rich Buckler
    Guest starring Iron Fist

@bralinator, I don't know how I missed this one. Awesome!
  • Options
    Ira R. Schnapp (October 10, 1892 – July 1969) was a logo designer and letterer who defined the DC Comics house style for thirty years.

in 1938, Schnapp was hired by comic book publisher DC Comics for his first job. It was an association that lasted for thirty years. Schnapp worked for DC from 1938 to 1968, creating scores of logos and lettering countless covers and interiors, yet ironically he only received a single in-print credit (in Inferior Five #6, published in 1966). Most of Schnapp's work was done on front covers, and "mere" cover letterers (or interior letterers, for that matter) were never credited in the era in which Schnapp worked.

In mid-1938, Schnapp created the iconic Action Comics logo for DC. He also refined and perfected the Superman logo in 1940. Over time, Schnapp designed scores of logos for the company's comic books, virtually defining DC's look for 30 years. In addition to the Action and Superman logos, some of the more celebrated logos Schnapp designed include Adventure Comics; The Atom; The Flash; Green Lantern; Hawkman; Justice League of America; Metal Men; Secret Origins; and Superman's Girl Friend, Lois Lane.

With Superman editor Mort Weisinger, Schnapp designed and hand-lettered the DC house ads "Coming... Super-Attractions!" which proliferated throughout the pages of the company's comics.
  • Options
    Steve Parkhouse
  • Options
    Frank Miller and Klaus Janson
  • Options
    Caliban said:

Ironically, this is the same quote uttered by many fans during the releases of Miller's DK2 several years later...

• Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Caliban said:

Ironically, this is the same quote uttered by many fans during the releases of Miller's DK2 several years later...

*Slow clap*
  • Options
    Speaking of Ira Schnapp, Todd Klein brought legendary letterer Gaspar Saladino to the New York Comic Con this year. Unfortunately I wasn't able to meet him, but I hear he had a good time, so maybe he'll come back next year.

This year was also a great time to get cheap Silver Age books. I found not one, but two dealers selling at 75% off, and they both had good selections. I made quite a dent in my Bob Oksner checklist. Pretty fitting since tomorrow is Oksner’s birthday. So guess what I'll be posting for the next few days.

Starting with the oldest comic I bought at the show, here’s The Adventures of Jerry Lewis #42 (Jan. 1958), cover art by Oksner, though the GCD has it mis-attributed to Owen Fitzgerald. I mean, all you have to do is look at that gorgeous female figure to know it’s Oksner. Anyway, this is the second issue with Jerry flying solo after breaking up the act with Dean Martin.

(Sorry for the poor scan. Best I could find.)
  • Options
  • Options
    This one is the only non-Oksner book I bought for myself this past weekend. It’s The Adventures of Bob Hope #53 (Oct.-Nov. 1958) by the underappreciated Owen Fitzgerald, whose girls are almost as cute as Oksner’s.

• Options
    I don't usually go for painted covers, but this one is incredible. Never saw it before.

Fear Itself: The Book of the Skull #1 (One Shot)
    May 2011
    Cover by Marko Djurdjevic

• Options
    More of my haul from NYCC, The Adventures of Jerry Lewis #55 (Nov.-Dec. 1959).

• Options

More of my haul from NYCC, The Adventures of Jerry Lewis #55 (Nov.-Dec. 1959).

You ever look at something and think, "No matter how much someone tries to explain it to me, I'm just never going to understand it."

That's how I feel looking at the gag on this cover.
  • Options
    Happy Birthday Jerry! you would have been 100 years old today! Jerome "Jerry" Siegel (October 17, 1914 – January 28, 1996), who also used pseudonyms including Joe Carter, Jerry Ess, and Herbert S. Fine, was the American co-creator of Superman, along with Joe Shuster, the first of the great comic book superheroes and one of the most recognizable of the 20th century.

In 1938, after their proposal had languished among others at More Fun Comics — published by National Allied Publications, the primary precursor of DC Comics — editor Vin Sullivan chose Superman as the cover feature for National's Action Comics No. 1 (June 1938). The following year, Siegel and Shuster initiated the syndicated Superman comic strip. Siegel also created the ghostly avenger The Spectre during this same period.

As part of the deal which saw Superman published in Action Comics, Siegel and Shuster sold the rights to the company in return for $130 and a contract to supply the publisher with material.

In 1947, the team rejoined editor Sullivan, by now the founder and publisher of the comic-book company Magazine Enterprises; there they created the short-lived comical crime-fighter Funnyman. Siegel went on to become comics art director for publisher Ziff-Davis in the early 1950s, and later returned to DC to write uncredited Superman stories in 1959 under the control of Silver Age Superman editor Mort Weisinger.

In 1985, DC Comics named Siegel as one of the honorees in the company's 50th anniversary publication Fifty Who Made DC Great.

He was inducted (with Shuster posthumously) into the comic book industry's Will Eisner Comic Book Hall of Fame in 1992 and the Jack Kirby Hall of Fame in 1993.
  • Options
    Denys Cowan and Bill Sienkiewicz 1987
  • Options
    Bob Haney’s first ongoing feature for DC was “Viking Prince” in Brave and the Bold. His first script appeared in issue #4, but he took over with issue #7 (Aug.-Sep. 1956) and soon changed the direction of the series, turning Jon from his village’s stalwart defender into a wandering hero. Here is Irv Novick’s cover to Brave and the Bold #16 (Feb.-Mar. 1958), which marked the Viking Prince’s first cover appearance.

• Options
    Aparo drew a simple yet strikingly effective cover for Limited Collectors’ Edition #C-37 (Aug.-Sep. 1975). I didn't own this tabloid, but my babysitter’s kids did, so I was able to read it many times as a five- and six-year-old. Not only did it reprint several stories from various points in Batman's publishing history (including some Sunday newspaper strips), but there were pics from the TV show as well.

• Options

Aparo drew a simple yet strikingly effective cover for Limited Collectors’ Edition #C-37 (Aug.-Sep. 1975). I didn't own this tabloid, but my babysitter’s kids did, so I was able to read it many times as a five- and six-year-old. Not only did it reprint several stories from various points in Batman's publishing history (including some Sunday newspaper strips), but there were pics from the TV show as well.

Do you own it now?
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    ANd how many folks wish they had never cut out the back 3-D diorama?

• Options

Do you own it now?
    No, I've got several of the tabloids, but not that one. I do have a couple from when I was a kid where I did the puzzles inside. I never cut one up though.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    I believe I cut mine up, but can't remember. I really loved that cover, too.
  • Options
    Nicholas Viscardi (October 20, 1920 – November 3, 2013), known professionally as Nick Cardy or Nick Cardi, was an American comic book artist best known for his DC Comics work on Aquaman, the Teen Titans and other major characters.

Cardy first drew the Teen Titans in The Brave and the Bold #60 (July 1965), wherein the superhero sidekicks Robin, Kid Flash, and Aqualad were joined by Wonder Girl in her first appearance. After next being featured in Showcase #59 (Dec. 1965), the team was spun off into their own series with Teen Titans #1 (Feb. 1966). From 1966-73, Cardy penciled or inked — sometimes both — all 43 issues of the series.

• Options

Nicholas Viscardi (October 20, 1920 – November 3, 2013), known professionally as Nick Cardy or Nick Cardi, was an American comic book artist best known for his DC Comics work on Aquaman, the Teen Titans and other major characters.

Cardy first drew the Teen Titans in The Brave and the Bold #60 (July 1965), wherein the superhero sidekicks Robin, Kid Flash, and Aqualad were joined by Wonder Girl in her first appearance. After next being featured in Showcase #59 (Dec. 1965), the team was spun off into their own series with Teen Titans #1 (Feb. 1966). From 1966-73, Cardy penciled or inked — sometimes both — all 43 issues of the series.

Just last week I had to replace my home phone (still have a land line out of necessity). I still had a message from Nick on the answering machine, but my wife was thoughtful enough to record it on her phone before swapping it out with the new machine. Man, I miss him.

For anyone who didn’t see it, last year at this time, I went through Nick’s covers year by year. If you're interested, go through the bottom of page 116 through page 123 of this thread.
  • Options
    RickMRickM Posts: 407
    The way that Cardy and later Perez drew Wonder Girl is just gorgeous. Or maybe I just have a thing for long dark hair.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,623
    Has it really been a year and 30 pages since we explored Cardy covers?

I was looking at his Batlash covers this weekend in my Showcase.