Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,745
    Speaking of which, more of my spoils from NYCC: The Adventures of Jerry Lewis #87 (Mar.-Apr. 1965), by Bob Oksner of course.

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Swamp Thing by Bissette, Totleben and Tatiana Wood in 1984
  • Options
    Bob Haney’s first Aquaman story probably was the backup in Adventure Comics #228 (Sept. 1956). Kind of a dull cover by Curt Swan and inked by Stan Kaye, but they can't all be winners I suppose.

• Options
    Aaron Lopresti
  • Options

Nicholas Viscardi (October 20, 1920 – November 3, 2013), known professionally as Nick Cardy or Nick Cardi, was an American comic book artist best known for his DC Comics work on Aquaman, the Teen Titans and other major characters.

Cardy first drew the Teen Titans in The Brave and the Bold #60 (July 1965), wherein the superhero sidekicks Robin, Kid Flash, and Aqualad were joined by Wonder Girl in her first appearance. After next being featured in Showcase #59 (Dec. 1965), the team was spun off into their own series with Teen Titans #1 (Feb. 1966). From 1966-73, Cardy penciled or inked — sometimes both — all 43 issues of the series.

Not exactly – Cardy did the cover, right enough, and went on to do the series afterwards, just as you say – but that first Titans story in Brave & Bold #60, like the previous team-up of Robin, Aqualad and Kid Flash that started it all in Brave & Bold #54, was drawn by Bruno Premiani, best known for drawing the Doom Patrol.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    Marvel Team-Up #95. The first appearance of Mockingbird. I thought it would be timely since she just made her first appearance on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. It's a great issue.
  • Options
    jaydee74 said:

Marvel Team-Up #95. The first appearance of Mockingbird. I thought it would be timely since she just made her first appearance on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. It's a great issue.

First appearance as Mockingbird -- and what a great Miller cover! -- but not her first appearance as Bobbi Morse; she'd been around for a couple of years at that point, having first appeared in the Ka-Zar series, in Astonishing Tales. (Dang, but I can't now recall exactly which issue!)
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    edited October 2014
    Since Halloween is a few days away, I figured I would try to start a trend with a couple of themed covers.

Ghost Comics #10
    Maurice Whitman

Ghost Comics were published by Fiction House starting in 1951 running for 11 issues. The Ghost Comics covers by Maurice Whitman were definitely sought after with their well-endowed frightened females fleeing from phantoms.
  • Options
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip nweathington! I love Nick Cardy covers so will definitely go back and explore pages 116 to 123 in this thread. I only wish I had the time to browse every page in this extraordinary thread.
    Speaking of Halloween, I absolutely love this cover from Weird Tales #75.
    Cover drawing credits go to Gene Colan. I believe this comic first surfaced in 1950. The drawing of the young lady is awesome!
  • Options
    Tomb of Dracula (Vol 1) #41
    February, 1976
    Cover Art by Gene Colan, Tom Palmer, and Gaspar Saladino

I'm not yet convinced that this awesome Halloween scene on the cover actually appeared in the book, but I admit to never having read this issue.
  • Options
    rebisrebis Posts: 1,820
    This piece of awesomeness showed up on Twitter last night

I'll have to ask my guy at the LCS what this variant will cost me.
  • Options

Since Halloween is a few days away, I figured I would try to start a trend with a couple of themed covers.

Ghost Comics #10
    Maurice Whitman

Ghost Comics were published by Fiction House starting in 1951 running for 11 issues. The Ghost Comics covers by Maurice Whitman were definitely sought after with their well-endowed frightened females fleeing from phantoms.

"well-endowed frightened females fleeing from phantoms"
    Wow. Say that 3 times, fast.

I love Fiction House covers.
  • Options
    jaydee74jaydee74 Posts: 1,526
    edited October 2014
    @Chuck_Melville P Thanks for that.
    As Dr. Barbara Morse
    As the Huntress
    As Mockingbird

This is all according to Wikipeida.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Batman #237
    December, 1971
    Cover art by Neal Adams

Batman tracks an ex-Nazi war criminal to the annual Halloween parade in Rutland, Vermont, to which Robin has also come, and where they also find the Reaper, a Death-costumed figure with a scythe, bent on finding the villain for reasons of his own. This probably came out a few weeks before Halloween in 1971.

The story from the forties mentioned on the cover is called "The Screaming House" and was originally printed in Detective Comics #37 in March, 1940 which featured a rather ghoulish cover as well.
  • Options
    rebis said:

This piece of awesomeness showed up on Twitter last night

I'll have to ask my guy at the LCS what this variant will cost me.

That's pretty cool, but where is Bluto/Brutus hiding his right arm?
  • Options
    Thanks a lot, Neal. Now I can't look at the cover without wondering where the arm is.
  • Options

Batman #237
    December, 1971
    Cover art by Neal Adams

Batman tracks an ex-Nazi war criminal to the annual Halloween parade in Rutland, Vermont, to which Robin has also come, and where they also find the Reaper, a Death-costumed figure with a scythe, bent on finding the villain for reasons of his own. This probably came out a few weeks before Halloween in 1971.

The story from the forties mentioned on the cover is called "The Screaming House" and was originally printed in Detective Comics #37 in March, 1940 which featured a rather ghoulish cover as well.

This cover needs an extra choice of "Serious Awesomeness!"
  • Options
    Terry Austin and Frank Miller
  • Options
    Caliban said:

Terry Austin and Frank Miller

This was a difficult issue to find (at a price I was willing to pay), but I just got it from Newkadia a couple of days ago. Haven't read it yet. Love this cover.

• Options
    Here's another personal favorite of mine for Halloween.

Brave and the Bold #93 from January, 1971
    Cover art by Neal Adams

In this tale, Batman slips up and almost gets himself killed trying to stop a normal thug, and is forced to go on vacation by Commissioner Gordon, who believes Batman is heading towards a total burn out. This was an interesting team-up, if there ever was one, teaming up The Batman with The House of Mystery! It worked splendidly! The story is narrated by Cain, the narrator of stories in DC's The House of Mystery title. Although the House of Mystery is usually said to be located in Kentucky, Cain explains that a castle is a house, and this is a mystery, so it's the house of mystery!

This marked the first solo Batman story of the 1970s not to appear in Batman or Detective Comics, and it's the first Batman story drawn by Neal Adams outside of those titles. DC was moving people around a bit back then I suppose. It is also the first full-length Batman story by Adams, who appears to have done the penciling and inking himself instead of utilizing his usual inker, Dick Giordano. The artwork pops, and it was arguably one of the better Batman tales in the series to date.
  • Options
    Vince Colleta Joe Rubenstein and Rick Leonardi
  • Options
    From December 2008 (likely October)
    DC Universe Halloween Special (One-Shot)
    Cover art by four time Eisner Award winner, Gene Ha

• Options
  • Options
    Bernie Wrightson from 1982
  • Options

This marked the first solo Batman story of the 1970s not to appear in Batman or Detective Comics, and it's the first Batman story drawn by Neal Adams outside of those titles.

Not so! Adams had already done a half-dozen B&B stories by that point (including team-ups with Aquaman, Flash, Green Arrow, Creeper, Teen Titans, Sgt Rock, all bookshelved by a pair of team-ups with Deadman), as well as a pair of World’s Finest team-ups with Superman.

It's the first solo Batman story drawn by Adams, perhaps, if that was what you meant… but there’s still that guest appearance by Cain…
  • Options
    It may be a stretch, but I was referring to it as his first solo adventure outside of his title book and Detective (because Cain and Batman don't actually team-up). My wording could've used further editing, because when I re-read it, it doesn't successfully convey that point.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Black Cat #14
    November 1948
    Harvey Comics
    Cover by Lee Elias

Mystery and adventure tales starring such characters as Linda Turner, Mary Worth, Danny Dixon, and the cover darling, Black Cat, an action hero and skilled martial artist who uses a lasso and rope.

Lot's of great Halloween covers in the Harvey library.

• Options
    From Archie comics here's
    Katy Keene
    Comics Digest Magazine #8 (1987)
    with cover art by John Lucas
  • Options
    The final issue of Phantom Stranger, issue #41 (Feb.-Mar. 1976), by Aparo.