Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,747
    edited November 2014
    Not long into his run on “Eclipso,” Haney took over the writing chores of The Brave and the Bold with issue #50 (Oct.-Nov. 1963)—before the title became a Batman team-up book. From issues #50-157 (Dec. 1979), Haney would write all but a small handful of stories.

• Not long into his run on “Eclipso,” Haney took over the writing chores of The Brave and the Bold with issue #50 (Oct.-Nov. 1963)—before the title became a Batman team-up book. From issues #50-157 (Dec. 1979), Haney would write all but a small handful of stories.

One of my favorite series by one of my favorite writers.

My recollection was that Haney was actually phased out of the series a couple of years before it was cancelled to make way for Batman & The Outsiders, and that most of the remaining stories were by a rotating series of writers, including Mike W Barr, Gerry Conway and Alan Brennert.
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Mike Kaluta 1980
  • Not long into his run on “Eclipso,” Haney took over the writing chores of The Brave and the Bold with issue #50 (Oct.-Nov. 1963)—before the title became a Batman team-up book. From issues #50-157 (Dec. 1979), Haney would write all but a small handful of stories.

One of my favorite series by one of my favorite writers.

My recollection was that Haney was actually phased out of the series a couple of years before it was cancelled to make way for Batman & The Outsiders, and that most of the remaining stories were by a rotating series of writers, including Mike W Barr, Gerry Conway and Alan Brennert.
    He wasn't really phased out of the title—more like shoved out the door. His last two issues—#155 and 157—were nearly completely re-written by Mike. And then Haney was back to what he was doing when he started at DC—writing war stories.

But I'll get to that later.
  • Just a few issues into his tenure on Brave and the Bold, Haney teamed a trio of sidekicks in what would be a precursor to a more formal team-up one year later. Here’s Brave and the Bold #54 (Jun.-Jul. 1964) featuring a cover (pencils and inks) by Bruno Premiani.

• Jack Davis (born December 2, 1924) is an American cartoonist and illustrator, known for his advertising art, magazine covers, film posters, record album art and numerous comic book stories. He was one of the founding cartoonists for Mad in 1952. His cartoon characters are characterized by extremely distorted anatomy, including big heads, skinny legs and extremely large feet.

After rejections from several comic book publishers, he began freelancing for William Gaines' EC Comics in 1950, contributing to Tales from the Crypt, The Haunt of Fear, Frontline Combat, Two-Fisted Tales, The Vault of Horror, Piracy, Incredible Science Fiction, Crime Suspenstories, Shock Suspenstories and Terror Illustrated.

imagephoto jdwar-004_zps907ed219.jpg" />

• Jack Davis (born December 2, 1924) is an American cartoonist and illustrator, known for his advertising art, magazine covers, film posters, record album art and numerous comic book stories. He was one of the founding cartoonists for Mad in 1952. His cartoon characters are characterized by extremely distorted anatomy, including big heads, skinny legs and extremely large feet.

After rejections from several comic book publishers, he began freelancing for William Gaines' EC Comics in 1950, contributing to Tales from the Crypt, The Haunt of Fear, Frontline Combat, Two-Fisted Tales, The Vault of Horror, Piracy, Incredible Science Fiction, Crime Suspenstories, Shock Suspenstories and Terror Illustrated.

imagephoto jdwar-004_zps907ed219.jpg" />

Davis actually did do some comic book work before joining EC. He penciled and inked several stories for the short-lived Nation-Wide Publishing and their western title, Lucky Star. Nation-Wide was only around for just over four years (the last two years of that time publishing as Magazine Publishers, Inc.). And by the time Davis’ work for them started showing up on the newsstand, he was already working for EC, but it was his first professional comic book work.

Here's his very first cover job, Lucky Star #1 (1950). (A friend of mine has a copy of this signed by Davis.)

• bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Is it time for Christmas themed covers yet?

Marvel Two-In-One #8
    "Silent Night, Deadly Night"
    December, 1974
    Pencils and Cover: Sal Buscema and Mike Esposito

If you've ever wondered if the story of the nativity could be made better with the addition of a super-powered orange rock monster and a flame-headed demon from Hell itself, then you need to check out this issue. You can read the whole thing here. Who knew Ghost Rider was racist?

Frank Giacoia and Mike Ploog 1976
  • Bralinator "Is it time for Christmas themed covers yet?"

You bet it is!
    imagephoto 1975_zpsf52d6005.jpg" />
  • I love this one too...

imagephoto Lion-31st-Dec-66-0001_zps75c96668.jpg" />
  • RickMRickM Posts: 407

Bralinator "Is it time for Christmas themed covers yet?"

You bet it is!
    imagephoto 1975_zpsf52d6005.jpg" />

Hulk mutters to the child: "Bah! Santa isn't real. Only Hulk is real!"

Awesome covers @Stevenw888‌

I'm all about some holiday themed comic covers this month.

Here's

Comic Cavalcade (1942) #5 from DC Comics
    Winter 1943
    Cover Artist: Frank Harry

Kind of some curious character placements in this image - if you ask me...
  • Here's a better scan. Cover by John Romita, by the way.

• I love this one too...

imagephoto Lion-31st-Dec-66-0001_zps75c96668.jpg" />

Cover by Ted Kearon, one of the main artists for Lion through the ’50s and the co-creator (along with George Cowan) of Robot Archie.

Here's a better scan. Cover by John Romita, by the way.

Oh that is sweet. Thanks for the better scan @nweathington‌

Great covers @Stevenw888‌ - and it is expected you will mention the year of publication and the cover artist's credit when you post. Courtesy and appreciation and... credit where it is due.

Simon Davis 2006AD
    Big Green Two-Fer Christmas

Sensational She-Hulk #8
    November 1989
    Cover: John Byrne

Incredible Hulk #378
    February 1991
    Cover: Bill Jaaska & Bob McLeod

• Avengers Annual #1 from last winter, cover by David Lafuente.

(A nice, heartwarming holiday story too, by the way)

• Quote -Great covers @Stevenw888‌ - and it is expected you will mention the year of publication and the cover artist's credit when you post. Courtesy and appreciation and... credit where it is due. - Quote
    Very good point Bralinator - I will certainly do that wherever I can.

Unfortunately I can't provide that info for this cover, as I stumbled upon it on another comic fanzine website earlier today. I do know that it is a Parody cover of Action #252, when Supergirl first arrived on Earth... And I really like it (esp. the wordplay on Kal-El)!
    Perhaps someone else can provide the credits.

imagephoto ParodyAction252_zps8678b8cd.jpg" />
  • Quote -Great covers @Stevenw888‌ - and it is expected you will mention the year of publication and the cover artist's credit when you post. Courtesy and appreciation and... credit where it is due. - Quote
    Very good point Bralinator - I will certainly do that wherever I can.

Unfortunately I can't provide that info for this cover, as I stumbled upon it on another comic fanzine website earlier today. I do know that it is a Parody cover of Action #252, when Supergirl first arrived on Earth... And I really like it (esp. the wordplay on Kal-El)!
    Perhaps someone else can provide the credits.

imagephoto ParodyAction252_zps8678b8cd.jpg" />

Chris Sims and Dean Trippe did that four years ago for Comics Alliance.
  • I know this one though! This is Hot Wheels 6, Feb 1971, cover by Neal Adams and Dick Giordano.

imagephoto 164bcd6dd959e517beb1d7e69d516ad7_zps8aea6628.jpg" />
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

I know this one though! This is Hot Wheels 6, Feb 1971, cover by Neal Adams and Dick Giordano.

imagephoto 164bcd6dd959e517beb1d7e69d516ad7_zps8aea6628.jpg" />

Watch that hand, young man. This isn't an EC Cover.
    edited December 2014
    Marvel Holiday Special
    January 1993
    Cover art: Art Adams

Love me some Arthur Adams artwork...
  • Here's Superman’s Christmas Adventure #1 (1940), with a cover penciled and inked by Fred Ray. This was a promotional comic distributed as a giveaway through various department stores, such as Bailey’s and Macy’s. The 15-page story inside by Jerry Siegel and Jack Burnley has Superman up against Dr. Grouch and Mr. Meany who try to take over the North Pole. It's been reprinted a couple of times—once in a Christmas treasury edition in 1976, and again in 2000.

edited December 2014
    Marvel Treasury Edition
    Giant Superhero Holiday Grab-Bag #13
    Winter 1976
    Cover artists: Gil Kane, John Romita, & Joe Sinnott

• Excellent! I've got both of those Marvel Treasury editions in my collection.
  • Teen Titans #13 from 1968. Cover by Nick Cardy.

• Not quite a Christmas cover, but it's got a fireplace, it’s a December cover-date, and it's Matt Baker’s birthday, so here's Teen-Age Romances #45 (Dec. 1955).

• WebheadWebhead Posts: 458

Big Green Two-Fer Christmas

Sensational She-Hulk #8
    November 1989
    Cover: John Byrne

Incredible Hulk #378
    February 1991
    Cover: Bill Jaaska & Bob McLeod

I wanted to ask the group if anyone remembers in one of the Marvels Bullpen Bulletin pages the reproduced the Marvel Xmas card showing Santa pop his claws like Wolverine saying something like "why do you think I'm called Santa Claws"

If anybody knows what year and month this this appeared in I would appreciate if you posted the date.