Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

WetRats said:

mwhitt80 said:

@nweathington‌
    Who is the Gi Joe look alike standing directly behind Superman?

From left to right: Kraklow, Enchantress, Atom-Master, Mr. Poseidon.
    Bottom: Yggdaris
    Not Pictured: Ultivac (he's a giant robot who first fought the Challengers of the Unknown)
    Is the Faceless Hunter "pictured"?
    Forgot him. See, they really are forgotten villains.

No, he's not pictured. This is him:
    Heh.

I like the little guy on the ramp pointing at the giant alien. I'm pretty sure anybody who can see the pointing guy can see the giant alien.
  • mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,635
    I like the two guys facing the Faceless Hunter with thier arms up.
    "I would like to be the first to welcome our Faceless Overlord."
  • AxelBrassAxelBrass Posts: 245
    Good old 'Harmless Nuclear Explosions'. HA!
  • rebisrebis Posts: 1,820

After the Metamorpho two-parter, Haney wrote the first of the Batman team-up stories that would run for the rest of the series. I found a copy of Brave and the Bold #59 (Apr.-May 1965) at a flea market in the late ’90s. It was in decent but not great shape, but was more than worth the $2 I paid for it. Cover art (pencils and inks) by Gil Kane.

This is one of my favorite issues of Brave and the Bold.
    It also features beautiful interior illustration by Ramona Fradon.

This might be my very favorite issue of Brave and the Bold.
    Can someone tell me more about Howard Purcell?
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,747
    I don't know a ton about Purcell, but he started in animation before soon moving over to comics in 1940. The vast majority of his work was done for All-American/DC, where he mostly worked on secondary features, like “The Gay Ghost” and “Sargon the Sorcerer,” and the sci-fi and horror anthology titles. Mr. District Attorney was probably the biggest of his long-term assignments, though he had a decent sized run on Sea Devils in the ’60s.

All that being said, most comic book fans probably don't know his name, but they’ll likely recognize this cover he did for Green Lantern #1 (Fall 1941).

• CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Dave Gibbons 1977AD
  • After the Metamorpho two-parter, Haney wrote the first of the Batman team-up stories that would run for the rest of the series. I found a copy of Brave and the Bold #59 (Apr.-May 1965) at a flea market in the late ’90s. It was in decent but not great shape, but was more than worth the $2 I paid for it. Cover art (pencils and inks) by Gil Kane.

I picked this one up off the rack when it first came out. I remember my initial excitement because in those days Batman rarely stepped out of his own titles, except for JLA and World's Finest (and the occasional Superman comic), so seeing him in a co-star situation with any DC hero other than Superman was a real treat.
    Hot off the press today Greg Staples updates Brian Bolland's iconic Dark Judges cover from 1981AD
    Brave and the Bold was a happening title there for a while. You've got the first meeting of teenage sidekicks, the origin of Metamorpho, the first Batman team-up (outside of Justice League and his own books), and now the first official appearance of the Teen Titans in Brave and the Bold #60 (June-July 1965), with a cover by Nick Cardy.

• I was a huge fan of B&B, from the start of it's team-up run right to its very last issue. Always at the top of my list each month.
  • dubbat138dubbat138 Posts: 3,200

Christmas theme covers continued.....

Jonah Hex #34 (Vol 1)
    March 1980
    Cover: Luis Dominguez

Near Christmas, Jonah is riding through the snow, remembering his childhood, when Pappy Hex would get drunk and beat him. He's more pre-occupied with tracking down his latest bounty, the Boley Boys, a notorious gang of murderous thieves. The boys target Clarence Dooley, a wealthy, portly philanthropist preparing to play Santa Claus at the mission orphanage. The gang shoots and kills Dooley, and Jonah promises a nun that he'll catch the killers.

I grabbed this one cheap ,I think it was a buck,a few years back just cause of the cover.
    This was in a The Beat article this morning.
    Bill Woggon.
    Gorgeous!
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Superman Spectacular #5 (Vol 1)
    Cover art by Jose Luis Garcia Lopez and Dick Giordano.

"The Second Coming of Superman!" Back in the mid-70's, you could get 80 pages of your favorite superhero with minimal ads in a one-shot story for only a dollar! This tale was scripted by Cary Bates and Martin Pasko from an idea by John Lamartine. The interior art was penciled by Curt Swan and inked by Vince Colletta, with coloring by Jerry Serpe and lettered by Ben Oda.

Also included a "Super-Symposium 'Should Superman Marry Lois Lane?'" which was a four page text piece answering the question of whether Superman and Lois Lane should ever marry with opinions from Jerry Siegel, Martin Pasko, Mort Weisinger, Denny O'Neil, Len Wein, Cary Bates, Elizabeth M. Smith, Gerry Conway, Curt Swan and Beth Montelone.

Plus, a cool Wonder Woman Hostess ad.
    WetRats said:

Bill Woggon.
    Gorgeous!

The main figures are nice, I'll give you that. The composition as a whole is pretty weak, though. Woggon could draw very pretty girls, and he was good when it came to pinups, but he was not a great sequential artist or a great cartoonist in my opinion. I don't even know if he'd make my Top 5 list of Archie artists.

But it isn't really his artwork that's getting him into the Hall of Fame, it’s his idea to make Katy Keene an interactive comic book.

Superman Spectacular #5 (Vol 1)

"The Second Coming of Superman!" Back in the mid-70's, you could get 80 pages of your favorite superhero with minimal ads in a one-shot story for only a dollar! This tale was scripted by Cary Bates and Martin Pasko from an idea by John Lamartine. The interior art was penciled by Curt Swan and inked by Vince Colletta, with coloring by Jerry Serpe and lettered by Ben Oda.

Also included a "Super-Symposium 'Should Superman Marry Lois Lane?'" which was a four page text piece answering the question of whether Superman and Lois Lane should ever marry with opinions from Jerry Siegel, Martin Pasko, Mort Weisinger, Denny O'Neil, Len Wein, Cary Bates, Elizabeth M. Smith, Gerry Conway, Curt Swan and Beth Montelone.

I feel like I'm on a really negative roll here, but I never noticed just how much I dislike Giordano’s inks on this cover. Maybe it's just me picturing how much better it would have looked if José had inked it himself, but I think Giordano overworked this one.
  • I don't know a ton about Purcell, but he started in animation before soon moving over to comics in 1940. The vast majority of his work was done for All-American/DC, where he mostly worked on secondary features, like “The Gay Ghost” and “Sargon the Sorcerer,” and the sci-fi and horror anthology titles. Mr. District Attorney was probably the biggest of his long-term assignments, though he had a decent sized run on Sea Devils in the ’60s.

All that being said, most comic book fans probably don't know his name, but they’ll likely recognize this cover he did for Green Lantern #1 (Fall 1941).

That is one of my favorite covers of all time! Those two figures are poetry in motion.
  • Superman Spectacular #5 (Vol 1)

DC Dollar Comics were AWESOME!
    Not long after the two-parter in Brave and the Bold, Metamorpho #1 (July-Aug. 1965) hit the stands. Cover art by Ramona Fradon with inks by Charles Paris.

Not long after the two-parter in Brave and the Bold, Metamorpho #1 (July-Aug. 1965) hit the stands. Cover art by Ramona Fradon with inks by Charles Paris.

Serious Awesomeness!

WetRats said:

Bill Woggon.
    Gorgeous!

The main figures are nice, I'll give you that. The composition as a whole is pretty weak, though. Woggon could draw very pretty girls, and he was good when it came to pinups, but he was not a great sequential artist or a great cartoonist in my opinion. I don't even know if he'd make my Top 5 list of Archie artists.

But it isn't really his artwork that's getting him into the Hall of Fame, it’s his idea to make Katy Keene an interactive comic book.
    My favorite thing is the woman in the pink polka dots scampering off in the background while, apparently drying her nails.
    Mike McMahon 1978AD
    Some comics I picked up in an antiques shop last week for a £1 each. Can't resist a Kirby cover from 1976
    Another £1 comic: HoM 146 from 1964 by Joe Certa
    Caliban said:

Zook.

Now there's a character for GMo to take for a weird, dark turn.
    WetRats said:

Caliban said:

Zook.

Now there's a character for GMo to take for a weird, dark turn.
    I'll read that book!
    and another from the junk shop
    Luis Dominguez 1979
  • As 1966 approaced, Bob Haney was writing the bi-monthlies Brave and the Bold, Aquaman, and Metamorpho, the bi-monthly “Eclipso” backup, as well as issues of Sea Devils and Blackhawk. He was taken off Blackhawk to launch another new series, Teen Titans. Here's Teen Titans #1 (Jan.-Feb. 1966) with its Nick Cardy cover.

edited February 2015
    James Jean cover 2007
  • With Strange Adventures #187 (Apr. 1966), Bob Haney (along with artist Howard Purcell) creates another offbeat DC hero, The Enchantress! Cover art by Jack Sparling.