Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314
    If there's go-go checks, it's gonna be good!
  • Perhaps as early as issue #19, but definitely by issue #25, Bob Haney took over the writing duties on Aquaman from Jack Miller. He would remain the writer through issue #39, with Nick Cardy as the artist, after which new editor Dick Giordano brought in his former Charlton freelancers Steve Skeates and Jim Aparo to be the creative team.

Here's Aquaman #25, with a cover by Nick Cardy.

• You know what they say about Four-Armed Sea Freaks ... if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!
  • CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    Clint Lanley on the latest Judge Dredd Megazine #357 in 2015AD
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Mystery Tales #14 (September, 1952)
    Cover art by Bill Everett
    Another antiques shop purchase.
    King Kirby in 1976
    What If...? #13
    February 1978
    Cover by John Buscema and Ernie Chan

A precursor of the now infamous “Days of Future Past” Uncanny X-Men #141 cover which came 3 years later, this cover art completely evokes the mood and feel of the story within - check out the partially obscured Star Wars poster on the right. Throwing Conan the Barbarian into the modern day (1977 to be exact) was a source of nigh-unending amusement and we have Roy Thomas, John Buscema and Ernie Chan to thank for this goofy masterpiece, which answers the burning question of “What If Conan the Barbarian Walked the Earth Today?”
  • Another year, another crazy character creation. Showcase #66 (Jan.-Feb. 1967) introduced B’wana Beast, created by Haney and artist Mike Sekowsky (though it may have been Sekowsky’s original idea). Cover art by Sekowsky, inked by Joe Giella.

photo IMG_0001-35.jpg
    The Flash #254
    October, 1977
    Cover Artists Dick Dillin & Joe Rubinstein

Just loving the CW Flash tv series right now, and with convention season is coming, I felt this was appropriate selection today.

The Flash #254
    October, 1977

Just loving the CW Flash tv series right now, and with convention season is coming, I felt this was appropriate selection today.

Not much of an audience.
    WetRats said:

The Flash #254
    October, 1977

Not much of an audience.
    Lol.

Rogues must be terrible promoters.
    1973 Nick Cardy
  • The Flash #254
    October, 1977

This is great and very timely. I've been considering picking up some of these older Flashes. Love the covers.

This is great and very timely. I've been considering picking up some of these older Flashes. Love the covers.

This period was a very fun time for The Flash
    1977 Luis Dominguez
  • bamfbamfbamfbamf Posts: 718
    has anyone read spider-gwen #1?

it's such a unique costume design and kick ass cover

i'm really curios if the story is good!

bamfbamf said:

has anyone read spider-gwen #1?

it's such a unique costume design and kick ass cover

i'm really curios if the story is good!

Me, too.

The design is stunning.

I'm reading the Spider-Man books in trade, so I haven't even met the character yet.
    Amazing Heroes 1981
  • Caliban said:

Amazing Heroes 1981

Boy, I miss that magazine...
  • Bob Haney’s two-and-a-half-year run on Aquaman ended with issue #39 (May-June 1968) with a cover by Nick Cardy. Not to worry, he still had Teen Titans, Metamorpho, Brave & the Bold, Blackhawk, and the occasional fill-in story to keep him busy.

edited March 2015
    Adventures of Captain Marvel 18
    December 1942
    CC Beck
    Inspired by the latest set of Spotlight episodes from @Adam_Murdough

According to Adam, Beck was not altogether pleased with this cover after the fact as he always believed realism or near realism in comics was less than ideal - I would disagree in this case.
    Star Trek #6 (Gold Key)
    December, 1969
    Photo cover image of Leonard Nimoy
    Interior art by Alberto Giolitti

Pop culture lost one of its most iconic personalities last Friday (Stardate 47634.44) when nerdom’s beloved Mr. Spock, Leonard Nimoy, transported to that big Alpha/Omega quadrant in the sky.

More on this particular issue here
    Secret Wars #10 (of 12)
    February 1985
    Cover by Mike Zeck & Terry Austin

With the new Secret Wars event coming in May (and in the latest issue of Previews), I thought I'd post one of my favorite covers from the original ground-breaking series. In this issue, "Death to the Beyonder," Doctor Doom powers up his suit in order to contain the power of Galactus. But while having the powers of Galactus would be enough for any other mortal, for Doom it's just a stepping stone to gaining the power of the Beyonder himself - and he succeeds!
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,747
    But at the same time Haney lost Aquaman to another creative team, Metamorpho was canceled with issue #17 (Mar.-Apr. 1968), cover art by Jack Sparling. Just like that, he was now down to three bi-monthly titles and some random fill-in stories for the anthology books.

A Carlos Ezquerra cover for a controversial comic which was discussed in Parliament and then folded under the weight of protests

Secret Wars #10 (of 12)
    February 1985

With the new Secret Wars event coming in May (and in the latest issue of Previews), I thought I'd post one of my favorite covers from the original ground-breaking series. In this issue, "Death to the Beyonder," Doctor Doom powers up his suit in order to contain the power of Galactus. But while having the powers of Galactus would be enough for any other mortal, for Doom it's just a stepping stone to gaining the power of the Beyonder himself - and he succeeds!

And then blogs about it.
    WetRats said:

Secret Wars #10 (of 12)
    February 1985

And then blogs about it.

LOL
    That's some classic "pot-stirring" right there @WetRats

That's some classic "pot-stirring" right there @WetRats

Yeah, upon seeing this reminder of how cool Doom can be, the wooden spoon just leaped into my hand.
  • Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003

But at the same time Haney lost Aquaman to another creative team, Metamorpho was canceled with issue #17 (Mar.-Apr. 1968), cover art by Jack Sparling. Just like that, he was now down to three bi-monthly titles and some random fill-in stories for the anthology books.

I remember being quite annoyed when Metamorpho was cancelled, though, of course, we didn't know that until months afterwards -- that last issue ended on a cliffhanger, and was never addressed again when the series was slowly resurrected as a back-up in other comics.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,747
    With two titles off his to-do list, Haney went back to doing more war stories for the anthologies, though more often than not, DC would simply reprint one of his many stories from the ’50s. But then he was given the “Unknown Soldier” feature in Star Spangled War Stories, starting with issue #155 (Feb.-Mar. 1971), wherein he created the African-American Sgt. Chat Noir as part of the supporting cast.

But I'm going with the cover to Haney’s second issue, #156 (Apr.-May 1971), with art by Joe Kubert, for the obvious reason.