Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,747
    In 1979, Haney's comic book career began winding down, starting with him being replaced on World’s Finest by Denny O’Neil. Here’s his last issue, World’s Finest #255 (Feb.-Mar. 1979), with a great wraparound cover by Jim Aparo.

• CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    1978 King Kirby and Frank Giacoia
  • Stevenw888Stevenw888 Posts: 114

50 Years Ago This Month: The mighty Thor faces the Absorbing Man for the very first time in the pages of Journey Into Mystery #114, cover by Jack Kirby and Chic Stone.

I loved this story and remember this cover very well. I can't believe it's 50 years old!
    As 1979 ended, so too did Haney’s impressively long run as the writer of The Brave and the Bold. But it was an ending a year in the making. It started with Brave and the Bold #143 (Sept.-Oct. 1978), when Editor Paul Levitz had Cary Burkett rewrite much of Haney’s script to make it better reflect the current continuity. Haney was incensed, as one might expect, but while Paul never again gave another writer co-credit on a Haney script, he still on occasion had Burkett, and later Mike Barr, do re-writes.

Continuity was becoming much more emphasized at DC, and Haney just wasn't interested in playing along. Or at least, that's what DC’s editors (probably rightly) assumed was the case. But rather than find a compromise, DC removed Haney from the title with Brave and the Bold #157 (Dec. 1979), with another cover by Jim Aparo. For the next six months, Haney was only writing Unknown Soldier, where continuity need not apply.

issue 2 and comicbookdb lists Kirby, George Roussos and Mike Royer as cover artists
    Caliban said:

issue 2 and comicbookdb lists Kirby, George Roussos and Mike Royer as cover artists

Roussos, generally an inker by trade, was the colorist, and Royer was the inker—just to avoid any confusion.
    Thanks, @nweathington I knew I could count on you
    Six months later, Haney made a triumphant return to World’s Finest starting with issue #263 (June-July 1980)! But contrary to what you might be thinking, he did not write the Super-Sons main feature. Instead, Haney was installed as the new writer of the “Green Arrow” backup.

Eight bi-monthly pages. Okay, so maybe the return wasn't all that triumphant.

To add insult to injury, Denny O’Neil’s Super-Sons story reduced the junior heroes to mere computer simulations. Bah!

Anyway, here’s Ross Andu and inker Dick Giordano’s cover to the issue.

Kirby, Dan Green and Petra Goldberg from '78
    Haney’s stint on “Green Arrow” lasted just over a year, ending with World’s Finest #273 (Nov. 1981) with a cover by Ross Andru and Dick Giordano.

• Chuck_MelvilleChuck_Melville Posts: 3,003
    Love those Ross Andru covers. Over the years he went from being an artist I could barely tolerate (loved his Metal Men, hated anything else he drew) to becoming an artist I loved. Part of that was due to my evolution of tastes as I matured over the years, but a big part of it was his continuing development as an artist. I really miss his work.

Love those Ross Andru covers. Over the years he went from being an artist I could barely tolerate (loved his Metal Men, hated anything else he drew) to becoming an artist I loved. Part of that was due to my evolution of tastes as I matured over the years, but a big part of it was his continuing development as an artist. I really miss his work.

He could always draw well, but he definitely kept improving as he went along. He became more dynamic and a better storyteller during his time at Marvel.

Just looking at the cover above, I love the villain's pose. There's so much life there. And his Batman has a great silhouette, and has a real sense of power and weight. Giordano overworked the Superman figure, but otherwise a really strong cover.
    Prog 1924 is out on Wednesday, available digitally through the 2000AD on-line store or ios/android app. Features five completely new stories with catch up summaries. Perfect for jumping on board.
    Cover by Brian Bolland
    Kirby, Joe Sinnott and Petra Goldberg from '78
    Haney’s last monthly assignment was canceled near the end of 1982. But Haney and Unknown Soldier #268 (Nov. 1982), cover by Joe Kubert, literally went out with a bang. Everybody dies—Hitler (a victim of what you might call assisted suicide), the Soldier, Chat Noir... and Haney comic book writing career. Haney would have one more story appear, a 12-pager in GI Combat, before being shown the door at DC.

I've just got the Marvel treasury edition of the 2001 film adaptation, and it's huge. Cover by Kirby (of course) in 1976
    Thought I would do this for fun: a series of covers by Frank Miller for a series that he had nothing to do with otherwise: Superman: The Secret Years.

The mini-series itself, by Bob Rozakis, Curt Swan and Kurt Schaffenberger, is pretty much unremarkable.

That is, the series was okay, and an entertaining read, but nothing to really endear itself to the average fan's memory. It was sorta just there.

But Miller's covers were standouts and worthy of being torn off and pasted to one's wall as posters. Very iconic... and there's a touch of Christopher Reeve in Miller's depiction of the Man of Steel.

• mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,635
    Frank Miller has never drawn superman comic has he (other than DKR)?
    mwhitt80 said:

Frank Miller has never drawn superman comic has he (other than DKR)?

Not to my knowledge. I recall hearing some talk that both he and Byrne discovered that while doing their respective takes on the two heroes (Dark Knight Returns; Man Of Steel) that they found the other hero to be more interesting than they'd first imagined and were then interested in pursuing them further. But while Byrne did follow up with the occasional Batman story, I don't believe Miller did much more with Superman than what he did here and in DKR.
    My lone comic book purchase from WonderCon this weekend. Bob Oksner, natch.

• bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

My lone comic book purchase from WonderCon this weekend. Bob Oksner, natch.

Excellent! Actual cover, or reference from an online search?
    Just the best scan I found in Google Images. My copy is in Good condition, mostly from bends along the spine. Got it for $4, so that's Good enough for me.
    Picked up an old copy of the Best of 2000AD monthly today in Orbital. This is the lovely cover image by Mike McMahon taken from a Slaine trade paperback
    Caliban said:

Picked up an old copy of the Best of 2000AD monthly today in Orbital. This is the lovely cover image by Mike McMahon taken from a Slaine trade paperback

The coloring really gives him a different look. Reminds me of a European artist, but I can't think of his name.
    Now that I've finished with Bob Haney, I thought I'd do something a little different. I'm going to pick my favorite cover (or perhaps the one I find most interesting) for a given month, and I'm going to go chronologically, month by month, year by year. I'm going to start with a cover date of June 1938, the month Action Comics #1 was released.

But I'm not picking the iconic Action Comics #1. Instead I'm going with New Adventure Comics #27 penciled and inked by Creig Flessel, one of my favorite DC artists of the Golden Age. I really like the composition of the image, and the coloring really makes the shark pop off the page. It may not have a guy in longjohns lifting a car over his head, but it's certainly better drawn and better designed.

• WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

Now that I've finished with Bob Haney, I thought I'd do something a little different. I'm going to pick my favorite cover (or perhaps the one I find most interesting) for a given month, and I'm going to go chronologically, month by month, year by year. I'm going to start with a cover date of June 1938, the month Action Comics #1 was released.

But I'm not picking the iconic Action Comics #1. Instead I'm going with New Adventure Comics #27 penciled and inked by Creig Flessel, one of my favorite DC artists of the Golden Age. I really like the composition of the image, and the coloring really makes the shark pop off the page. It may not have a guy in longjohns lifting a car over his head, but it's certainly better drawn and better designed.

Nice start!
    edited April 2015
    Everyone is welcome to play along, Stuart. Might spark some fun conversations. Here’s the link to this month’s covers in case anyone's interested.
    edited April 2015
    Okay, then.

This is a pretty cool runner-up.

Guess the Japanese didn't invent speed lines after all.

(also Craig Flessel)
  • Stevenw888Stevenw888 Posts: 114
    edited April 2015
    Wow *nweatherington* that web link is pretty amazing! I just spent at least two hours on there and have only just managed to nominate my favourite cover from the month and year I was born. I'll have to get back to 1938 another time!
    The next month's Action #2 is another beauty!

Please tell us about Leo E. O'Mealia, @nweathington!