Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

A Comic Cover A Day (is awesome)

Comments

• Options
    And for my last post related to the Doctor Strange podcast -- probably my favorite Dr. Strange cover of all time, though I never owned it!

I think my first exposure to it was as part of the "Marvel Value Stamp" Series B puzzle.

Amazing pencils and inks by Frank Brunner from June 1974!

• Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Keeping the October theme alive, here's...

Hanna Barbera Addams Family #1
    October 1974
    Art: Dan Spiegle

Read the whole thing online here...

This comic lasted only three issues, but was produced in connection with the animated series that ran on Saturday mornings from 1973–1975 on NBC. Season one was produced, and season two was merely reruns. Here's the opener - theme song isn't nearly as good as the original show's.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3KkMO_cnSg
  • Options
    More Halloween themed covers, this time featuring some old photo-covers.

The Three Stooges #23 & #24
    May & July 1960
    No story/art credits given

• Options
    @bralinator Loving these Halloween covers, most of which I've never seen!
  • Options
    RobAndersonRobAnderson Posts: 553
    edited October 2015
    I just did a guest blog over on Bronze Age Babies on my memories of attending Marvel-Con '76, the second convention held in NYC by Marvel. ( Article is at bronzeagebabies.blogspot.com/2015/10/guest-post-marvel-con-76-revisited.html, if you'd like to read it and check out some scans.]

So, I thought I'd share the cover art from my copy of the program -- a wrap-around cover no less!

Cover carries a signed credit by Nasser & Milgrom. (Though, to my eye, some of the art looks repurposed??)

• Options

I just did a guest blog over on Bronze Age Babies on my memories of attending Marvel-Con '76, the second convention held in NYC by Marvel. ( Article is at bronzeagebabies.blogspot.com/2015/10/guest-post-marvel-con-76-revisited.html, if you'd like to read it and check out some scans.]

So, I thought I'd share the cover art from my copy of the program -- a wrap-around cover no less!

Cover carries a signed credit by Nasser & Milgrom. (Though, to my eye, some of the art looks repurposed??)

Awesome.

And I agree, either re-purposed or simply swiped.
  • Options
    It's still October, and here's a series that sported SEVERAL holiday themed covers. I don't have much to say about any particular cover in this collection of Halloween themed covers from Sugar & Spike. Sheldon Mayer's work speak for itself

Sugar & Spike #25
    Oct-Nov 1959
    Art: Sheldon Mayer

Sugar & Spike #31
    Oct-Nov 1960

Sugar & Spike #37
    Oct-Nov 1961

Sugar & Spike #43
    Oct-Nov 1962

Sugar & Spike #49
    Oct-Nov 1963

Sugar & Spike #55
    Oct-Nov 1964

Sugar & Spike #61
    Oct-Nov 1965

Sugar & Spike #67
    Oct-Nov 1966

Sugar & Spike
    ran bi-monthly for most, if not all, of its run. I probably only read 2-3 issues as a lad. It ceased publication with #98 (featuring a cover redrawing of #55 above) in 1971, due to Mayer's progressively worsening eyesight. He eventually had surgery to fix his eyesight and resumed writing and drawing the series for the overseas market. It was always light-hearted fun written and illustrated by Sheldon Mayer. Mayer was considered by many to be one of the greatest editors of all time when he ran National comics. Before that he reportedly pulled the first Superman strip from the rejection pile, and wound up working on Action Comics. After leaving the editorial side, Mayer mostly continued to write and illustrate Sugar & Spike comics for DC.

For those unfamiliar with Sugar & Spike, the pair communicated via "baby talk" with each other and to other infants, but not to adults. And ALL babies spoke the same baby-talk "language", allowing the kids to speak with not only human infants, but baby animals as well.

And if you happened to read Adventures of Superman (2013) #42, you met this pair of troublesome tykes in the back-up story written by Fabian Nicieza, pencilled by Phil Hester and inked by Eric Gapstur. Clark Kent is asked to baby-sit the two, and it's a much funnier idea than the comic itself turned out to be. Hester is a great artist, but Sheldon Mayer he's not.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741

Mayer was considered by many to be one of the greatest editors of all time when he ran National comics.

He never ran National. He wasn't really a full-fledged editor (more of a production guy, really) until he left National with Gaines in 1939 when Gaines formed All-American. It was with All-American that Mayer became involved with character creation and art direction and such, and mentored guys like Toth, Kubert, and Infantino. When National bought out All-American in 1946, Mayer continued editing the same books he’d been editing, and in 1948 he quit to go back to freelancing.

But otherwise, yes, Mayer was—and still is—considered to be one of the greatest editors of all time.
  • Options
    My best pick-up this weekend at the NYCC was without question The Adventures of Bob Hope #17 (Oct.-Nov. 1952)—cover by Owen Fitzgerald, with a great interior story by Fitzgerald, a five-page “Kitty Karr in Hollywood” backup by Bob Oksner, and a few one-pagers by Henry Boltinoff. The copy I bought was pretty beat up, and has a corner missing, but it was only $5—a bargain.

• Options
    Continuing the October theme (and perhaps a favorite title of @nweathington )
    Adventures of Bob Hope #106
    Aug/Sept 1967
    Cover: Neal Adams

In the mid-1960s, Bob Hope comic book sales began to slip and after this issue, there would only be three more; Hope just wasn’t hip enough for the era, I suppose. But hey, how often do you see a cross-dressing Frankenstein’s Monster in comics? That's hip!

And the back cover is one we will probably NEVER see again, at least in this day and age.
    It might be one of the scariest covers ever, to the faint of heart:

• Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,615
    Mattel must have made a mint with those toy M-16s. I am a child of the 80s and we played with them.
  • Options
    Apr. 1946: I don't have confirmation on this, but I'm pretty sure this Jumbo Comics cover is by Joe Doolin, who was the primary cover artist for Jumbo during this time period. The quality of his Jumbo covers varied, but this is one of his best.

• Options

Adventures of Jerry Lewis #83
    July 1964
    Cover: Bob Oksner

This issue features Jerry Lewis meeting Dracula, Frankenstein’s monster and the Wolfman. This may be the first use of the three monster characters by DC and they were apparently so popular they were brought back again several times, within the pages of Jerry Lewis and The Adventures of Bob Hope.
  • Options

July 1964

This issue features Jerry Lewis meeting Dracula, Frankenstein’s monster and the Wolfman. This may be the first use of the three monster characters by DC and they were apparently so popular they were brought back again several times, within the pages of Jerry Lewis and The Adventures of Bob Hope.

In this issue of Jerry Lewis, they were named Boris Killoff (a.k.a., Krankenstein), Bela le Ghouli (a.k.a., Count Drinkula), and Peter Leery (a.k.a., Dog Boy), along with the not pictured Bride of Krankenstein, but they weren't really recurring characters—other monsters were brought in with almost every issue for the next two years or so.

In the Bob Hope series, the monsters were given different names—Coach Franklin N. Stein, Dr. Van Pyre, Professor Heinrich Von Wolfmann, and the female Zombia Ghastly—as well as teaching careers, and became part of the supporting cast. They were introduced in the same issue as Super-Hip, issue #95.

As for first appearances, Frankenstein appeared in Detective #135 (1948) and Superman #143 (1961). Count Maurice Dracula appeared in The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis #7 (1961), also by Bob Oksner, and of course vampires were pretty common throughout DC history going back to Detective Comics #31, where Batman fought the vampiric Monk. Likewise, Cotton Carver battled the Wolf Men in Adventure Comics #51 (1940), and werewolves showed up in House of Mystery from time to time. It is probably the first time all three monsters showed up in the same DC story though.
  • Options
    edited October 2015

July 1964

In this issue of Jerry Lewis, they were named Boris Killoff (a.k.a., Krankenstein), Bela le Ghouli (a.k.a., Count Drinkula), and Peter Leery (a.k.a., Dog Boy), along with the not pictured Bride of Krankenstein, but they weren't really recurring characters—other monsters were brought in with almost every issue for the next two years or so.

In the Bob Hope series, the monsters were given different names—Coach Franklin N. Stein, Dr. Van Pyre, Professor Heinrich Von Wolfmann, and the female Zombia Ghastly—as well as teaching careers, and became part of the supporting cast. They were introduced in the same issue as Super-Hip, issue #95.

As for first appearances, Frankenstein appeared in Detective #135 (1948) and Superman #143 (1961). Count Maurice Dracula appeared in The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis #7 (1961), also by Bob Oksner, and of course vampires were pretty common throughout DC history going back to Detective Comics #31, where Batman fought the vampiric Monk. Likewise, Cotton Carver battled the Wolf Men in Adventure Comics #51 (1940), and werewolves showed up in House of Mystery from time to time. It is probably the first time all three monsters showed up in the same DC story though.
    Putting aside the alterations on the names, I thought it was the first time they all three appeared together. My details are fuzzy though. Also in this issue, the first time you saw the monsters, they were actors, but the real things showed up later, or am I remembering wrong?

• Options

Also in this issue, the first time you saw the monsters, they were actors, but the real things showed up later, or am I remembering wrong?

Right, the monsters are actors. I don't have that issue yet, so I haven't read it. Frankenstein comes back once as a real monster, but I don't think the other two monsters show up again in Jerry Lewis, real or otherwise. There is a recurring character named Witch Kraft who comes in as the housekeeper in issue #88.
  • Options
    By the way, today would have been Bob Oksner’s 99th birthday.

• Options

By the way, today would have been Bob Oksner’s 99th birthday.

What a tremendously talented artist!

RIP Bob Oksner
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    Adventures of Bob Hope #95
    November 1965
    Cover by Bob Oksner & Tom Nicolosi

Super-Hip wasn't exactly what some considered a high point of this series. The alter-ego of Hope's fictional nephew, Tadwallader Jutefruce, he had the abilities of flight, shape-changing, super-strength, and a super-loud guitar that can be used as a mind control weapon. Check out the mod hair! The “Sultan of Swingers” had a battle-cry which went something like “Blech to Lawrence Welk!”

Below are the first few pages of this issue, in which Super-Hip made his debut.Where's Harvard-Harvard when you need him? (click to enlarge)

• Options
    May 1946: Stephen (Steve) Douglas was an editor at Eastern Color, but he also drew spot illustrations, covers, and on rare occasion full stories for many of their comics, particularly (as in this case) for Famous Funnies. His style wouldn't look out of place in today’s European humor comics.

• Options
    More Halloween goodness...

Adventures of Bob Hope
    January 1966

You might be surprised how many covers in this series featured pretty much all the same characters...
  • Options
    As my contribution to the Halloween festivities, here's one of my all time favourite horror comic covers. This was the last of the Venus series; the artwork is by the great Bill Everett.

imageVenus #19 Cover photo VENUS 19 COVER_zps4xjo6j5b.jpg" />
  • Options

As my contribution to the Halloween festivities, here's one of my all time favourite horror comic covers. This was the last of the Venus series; the artwork is by the great Bill Everett.

imageVenus #19 Cover photo VENUS 19 COVER_zps4xjo6j5b.jpg" />

Awesome.
  • Options
    June 1946: Not a great cover, but a strong composition and nicely drawn. But the most interesting aspect of this cover is that it was only the third cover drawn by Warren Kremer, better known as the creator of Richie Rich and Hot Stuff.

• Options
    I thought I'd post up a few Power Man/Iron Fist/Shang Chi covers, in honor of the recent Marvel Triple Action Spotlight.

One of my favorite Iron Fist covers was the first, from Marvel Premiere #15 (May 1974)

Pencils by Gil Kane with inks by Dick Giordano (with some John Romita alterations per GCD).

• Options
    CalibanCaliban Posts: 1,358
    edited October 2015
    Here's some October creepiness as Leigh Gallagher brings the 17th century zombie hunter Defoe back to the pages of 2000AD.

• Options
    Iron Fist took on the "new" X-Men in the final issue of his solo series, #15, from September 1977.

Cover art by Dave Cockrum (and interior art by John Byrne!)

• Options

Iron Fist took on the "new" X-Men in the final issue of his solo series, #15, from September 1977.

Is that Sabretooth or Wolverine (I never read this issue)?
  • Options

Is that Sabretooth or Wolverine (I never read this issue)?
    Wolverine. That costume didn't last very long.
  • Options
    edited October 2015
    July 1946: I really like the design of this cover. This wasn't the first time a cover title logo had been integrated into the actual cover illustration, but this is definitely a stand-out. The cover is probably by Chad Grothkopf, the creator and primary artist of Hoppy the Marvel Bunny, though the Hoppy figure here is a little beefier in the arms than he usually drew. Still, there are other design characteristics—the ears, the tail—that point to Grothkopf, though perhaps one of his assistants did some of the work.

Grothkopf had a long and fruitful career. He started out in the mid-1930s as a junior art director for Paramount’s animation department. In 1938 NBC aired his eight-minute long Willie the Worm, the first animated film specifically made for television, which Grothkopf produced himself. That same year he began doing comics for DC, doing stories (most of which he wrote, drew, and lettered) for Detective, Adventure, and other titles.

After spending 1942 working for Marvel doing “The Imp” backup in Captain America Comics, he finally wound up at Fawcett where he created Hoppy and the rest of the features for Funny Animal Comics, also bringing in his Willie the Worm character for good measure (the one character he retained the copyright to). For the first few years of the title, Grothkopf plotted, drew, and lettered the entire book, and even scripted stories on occasion. He also created the game and puzzle pages—Funny Animal was the first comic to feature games and puzzles—and the book proved to be very popular, selling more than a million copies a year (according to Grothkopf). Eventually assistants were brought in to draw the backup features, but Grothkopf always did the “Hoppy” and “Willie” stories, along with the game pages—even throughout his time in the Army during the war.

In 1947, Grothkopf went back to television animation where he worked for Disney, the original Mighty Mouse cartoons, Underdog, and Tiny Toons, among other things. He also drew the Howdy Doody newspaper strip in the early ’50s, and illustrated a few children’s books, and he came back to comics to do a little inking work on Captain Carrot in 1982. He says he drew some new Hoppy material during that time, but DC scrapped the project.