Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

RUMOR: MARVEL STUDIOS GET RIGHTS BACK FOR FANTASTIC FOUR??!!??!!

Comments

• Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited December 2017

I never even saw Avatar - so I’m not a fan either, but I am a fan of Cameron’s work. Strange I suppose. Yet if you look at those earlier two sequel announcements, we were supposed to have them coming in 2017 - and that was back when there were only 2 sequels planned. But now there seem to be 4 sequels, maybe, with the first coming next year. (?)

Who knows, who cares? My mentioning of Avatar sequel news probably only served to muddy the waters of the point I was making. Disney plays the long game. I think we both agree on that.

Definitely agree.

Which is why, for all the excitement that may come of a united universe of Marvel characters in a movie or something, when I look at this deal I just see more media consolidation. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of what Disney makes, as far as what I and our kids consume, and I think they have good taste in what they acquire, but I don't know that I need them to be that much bigger than they already are.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    I concur.

They can’t help themselves - and while I believe most of their output is quality work, I also think that there are as many reasons to be concerned about this conglomeration as there are reasons to feel hopeful about what it portends as far as entertainment possibilities.
  • Options
    They’ll keep drinking that Jumbo-Gro until the bottle is empty.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Looks like it’s a huge step closer.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/06/disney-outbids-comcast-in-escalating-bidding-war-for-21st-century-fox/?amp=1

To quote Rocky “it ain’t over ‘til it’s over.” I won’t say it’s a done deal until it is, but it’s closer!
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    It's a bidding war. Wouldn't be surprised if Comcast came back with a higher offer.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    Comcast officially dropped out of the bidding war.
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    I love one company owning everything especially when it is "friendly" corporation like Disney.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    mwhitt80 said:

I love one company owning everything especially when it is "friendly" corporation like Disney.

Sarcasm?
    I have to ask, because I can be as thick as a whale omelette.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Yes.
    I should have thrown up [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] tags, my fault. I am just a little disappointed that Disney is buying everything.
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

Yes.
    I should have thrown up [sarcasm] [/sarcasm] tags, my fault. I am just a little disappointed that Disney is buying everything.

I hope you’re not going to one of those who claim they made the MCU movies “comedies” & “kids’ movies.”

I’m glad to see everything under one company to really blowout the possibilities. The next big 22 movie arc just became wide open.
  • Options
    I almost wrote something very butthole-ish in reply but stopped. We don't interact enough online. It only takes a minute to explain that I don't want the Mouse to control our vertical and horizontal, without being jerk.

I don't like Disney buying fox because I don't want one company having that much influence over what we see. Disney is the parent company of that controls most of the movies (especially when they buy Fox), ABC, all their cable channels, and sports TV. If you include their very strong ties with Apple they have a big influence in what we hear. I want more choices/voices not less

It's not because I think they will a do poor job with fox properties, ruin a franchise, or make a fun movie that everyone can watch (heck even a bad movie no one wants to watch).
  • Options
    mphilmphil Posts: 448
    I don't want Disney to own everything either, but I do want Marvel to own Marvel.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    mwhitt80 said:

I almost wrote something very butthole-ish in reply but stopped. We don't interact enough online. It only takes a minute to explain that I don't want the Mouse to control our vertical and horizontal, without being jerk.

I don't like Disney buying fox because I don't want one company having that much influence over what we see. Disney is the parent company of that controls most of the movies (especially when they buy Fox), ABC, all their cable channels, and sports TV. If you include their very strong ties with Apple they have a big influence in what we hear. I want more choices/voices not less

It's not because I think they will a do poor job with fox properties, ruin a franchise, or make a fun movie that everyone can watch (heck even a bad movie no one wants to watch).

I don’t mind someone using some dickery to comment. That’s my wheelhouse.

I’m only concerned with Marvel Studios getting the whole playground to use. In general, aside from Disney, Jr. for my kids, I don’t think Disney’s media reach is monopolizing my entertainment. I really don’t watch TV shows or care about most movies coming out. Hell, even with sports, I go out of my way to avoid ESPN & (like practically everyone else) Fox Sports 1.

Now, if they take a share of NESN or WEEI, then I’d be concerned with a monopoly (not really)!
  • Options
    VertighostVertighost Posts: 335
    IMO one of the problems with turning the FF into a film is that their origin has to be changed significantly to explain why in god's name Sue's younger brother is anywhere near the top secret government test flight of whatever it is that changes them. If it's not a test flight, then you have to also explain why Ben, a test pilot is there. (Presumably Sue will be made into a scientist.)

I think it's also difficult to make Doom plausible/credible in the way superhero films are more "realistic" than the comics. He's an ultra brilliant monarch whose best solution to his scarred face is wearing an iron mask (??) and he has an entire European country to run but spends all of his time picking fights with a quartet of Americans in America? I'm sure there are plenty of ways to work around these issues and some very creative writers could come up with something, but none of the films they've made so far have come up with solutions I found satisfying.

I know Marvel has managed to turn Ant Man and Guardians into big hits but they're comedies and you're not meant to take those characters seriously in the same way one would presumably wants the FF taken.
  • Options

IMO one of the problems with turning the FF into a film is that their origin has to be changed significantly to explain why in god's name Sue's younger brother is anywhere near the top secret government test flight of whatever it is that changes them. If it's not a test flight, then you have to also explain why Ben, a test pilot is there. (Presumably Sue will be made into a scientist.)

I think it's also difficult to make Doom plausible/credible in the way superhero films are more "realistic" than the comics. He's an ultra brilliant monarch whose best solution to his scarred face is wearing an iron mask (??) and he has an entire European country to run but spends all of his time picking fights with a quartet of Americans in America? I'm sure there are plenty of ways to work around these issues and some very creative writers could come up with something, but none of the films they've made so far have come up with solutions I found satisfying.

I know Marvel has managed to turn Ant Man and Guardians into big hits but they're comedies and you're not meant to take those characters seriously in the same way one would presumably wants the FF taken.

I think the strong presence of SHIELD makes tweaking easier. I’ve suggested trimming Marc Spector’s boxer-marine-covert op-mercenary origin to being a former SHIELD agent turned merc (though with Marvel determined to have him a psycho, I’d prefer he doesn’t make an MCU appearance).

We’ve already seen SHIELD has employed Pym & Foster. They’ve outsourced with Stark.

Perhaps the Doom arc is about him ascending to dictatorship. Maybe the next MCU 22 movie arc is a Doom whose taken over Latveria & looking to conquer America, or a variation of the recent Secret Wars event.
  • Options
    I’m with @mwhitt80 that I have a hard time cheering on media consolidation. There’s already too much of it and I feel like we’re heading towards the kinds of megacorps I read about in 1980s SF.

If I want to see the Avengers and X-Men hang out there are plenty of comic books for that.
  • Options
    David_D said:

I’m with @mwhitt80 that I have a hard time cheering on media consolidation. There’s already too much of it and I feel like we’re heading towards the kinds of megacorps I read about in 1980s SF.

If I want to see the Avengers and X-Men hang out there are plenty of comic books for that.

You wouldn’t like to see them hanging out as opposed to reading them hanging out?
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Matt said:

David_D said:

You wouldn’t like to see them hanging out as opposed to reading them hanging out?
    I mean sure. I would love for all of Marvel's properties to be under one house. That will be awesome. I don't think there is a marvel fan here that thinks having all the characters "home" isn't awesome. I can't wait to see FF in the MCU.

I just don't like that Disney will control star wars, Mickey, all college sports, Indiana Jones, Aliens, Predator, ABC, boxing, mms, and everything else I forgot.

• Options
    You can’t win a marathon without putting some band aids on your nipples.
  • Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Matt said:

You can’t win a marathon without putting some band aids on your nipples.

Sure you can. Just take your shirt off. :)
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Perhaps I should’ve quoted something else. Maybe:

“You take the good, you take the bad, you take them both & then you have the facts of life.”

I probably should’ve gone with a line from the sequel to my initial quote.

“I do admire the way he bent you three idiots over a barrel and showed you the 50 States.”
  • Options
    I... am losing track of the metaphor here. Are Disney and Fox the two different nipples?
  • Options
    I knew I should’ve lead with the Facts of Life reference!

https://youtu.be/9jdbYh7ms00
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    David_D said:

I... am losing track of the metaphor here. Are Disney and Fox the two different nipples?

Maybe just a pair of boobs
  • Options
    I may not like the merger, but at least it puts the toys back in the sand box.

I'm excited to see what will happen
  • Options
    mwhitt80 said:

It’s the only part of it I care about. Think about the possibilities for Phase 4 & beyond!!
  • Options
    Matt said:

mwhitt80 said:

It’s the only part of it I care about. Think about the possibilities for Phase 4 & beyond!!
    It's going to be fun. No doubt, skrulls, Galactus, the X-Men. The whole gang is back.
  • Options
    MihawkMihawk Posts: 433
    Well the deal is done, Disney owns Fox properties.
  • Options

Here’s to Thunderstrike demanding “bring me Galactus!” 10 years from now in the 41st MCU movie.