Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Episode 1600 Talkback - Comic Talk

124»

Comments

• Options
    I've been listening to CGS since episode 25. Without denigrating the views of anyone on the forum, I'd like to give my perspective on the show. Yes, the show has evolved, which is natural, not just because the cast has changed. I venture to say all of us have changed in the last 10 years. I think comics have evolved as well and not always for the better, IMHO (prices, constant reboots, unrecognizable characters, etc.). That said, in many ways this is the best time to be a fan of comics. I've totally bought into digital. In addition, there are a growing body of great movies (can't wait for Civil War) and some great comics from Image and Marvel, and to a lesser extent from DC. It is also easier than ever to get one's hands on great comics of the past 75+ years. I think the cast perfectly captures my feelings on the state of industry, highlighting the good and the bad.

I also think there is plenty of substance in these episodes. My favorites are of course the spotlights, but I understand we can't have those frequently because of the amount of work required.

Thank you, Mr Eberle (and the rest of the cast) for your knowledge, enthusiasm, and time. I'll be listening.
  • Options

If there’s one fundamental truth I’ve learned to embrace during my years in the classroom, it’s that one can never make every member of an audience happy all of the time. It’s simply impossible to accommodate every respective taste and perspective of an audience, let alone expect everyone to like you. Criticism is a fact of life, and any kind of public effort, whether it be teaching, podcasting, or politics, will inevitably draw a myriad of critical responses. Indeed, thoughtful, respectful criticism often provides insights that benefit the recipients and their efforts.

That said, experience also teaches that attempting to constantly placate the vicissitudes of criticism like some chastened employee snapping to attention in the wake of a negative evaluation only leads one down the slippery slope of compromising one’s integrity and sense of self. I understand and respect the criticisms clearly leveled at both me and Danielle in this particular thread. Nevertheless, I would be doing myself, her, and the show a disservice by continuing to submit to them in silence, as I disagree with them, and the tone in which they’ve been offered, in the strongest terms.

Being asked to join the cast three years ago was, quite frankly, a great honor for me. Regardless of how tough my professional and/or personal life can become during a given week, recording an episode with my castmates, who are family, is always a guarantee of safe haven. They have placed their trust in my knowledge and efforts, my character and discretion. Hence, they are the only people I answer to, and not as employers, but as family. We are all part of CGS because we love the comic book medium, and it is always our intention to celebrate the medium with all of the energy we can muster. I know the overwhelming majority of our listeners appreciate that fact, and respect the often prodigious efforts we undertake to make the show as entertaining, informative, and insightful as we can. Of course, a podcast that has run for ten years will inevitably experience change and turnover in subject, tone, and cast. Every member of the cast, past and present, brings certain strengths to the table. On a good day, those strengths complement each other; on other days, the dynamic may fall a bit flat for some listeners. That’s simply the nature of the beast when attempting to maintain the show in between the many demands of modern life.

It’s unfortunate, but inevitable and understandable, that some listeners will not take to the changes the show naturally experiences as the years unfold. While no form of entertainment seeks to alienate and lose any member of its audience, nor will we compromise who we are and what we do simply because certain individuals feel the need to express their criticism in the form of attacks that belittle, and even question the integrity, of our efforts. If the content and cast of our show no longer suits their taste and interests, the internet offers a wide variety of other comic-related programs to explore, and they are welcome to sample them with no hard feelings on our part.

Otherwise, I know I speak for all of my castmates when I say to our audience that we are honored by your ongoing enthusiasm for what we do, and we will continue to do our utmost to match your enthusiasm with our own.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for the support!

Best,

Chris Eberle

It was never my intention to fill the thread with criticism of the show. I love the podcast and anxiously await each new episode. I host and produce a podcast myself while working a more than full-time job and raising a 4 year old so I know how much work and dedication it takes. If I offended with my criticism I do apologize. It was never my attention to "attack" or "belittle". I merely wished to express my thoughts about the tone of the reaction to the DC Rebirth, considering no one has had an opportunity to read the books. I understand the recent track record of DC, and Marvel as well, having led to a point where it is extremely hard to remain optimistic. I know lots of fans are feeling this way and I worry about how that is affecting the industry overall. Danielle herself admitted to feeling negative about comics recently and worried about how she was coming across on the show. Having said that, I have noticed a marked difference on the show since this thread started. It certainly seems much more positive to me, even with the recent criticism about The Discipline. Those negative comments were well-thought out and expressed clearly. This might be coincidence or perhaps as Chris says the criticisms expressed here have benefited the show. Again I want to apologize to all the cast, especially Chris and Danielle if my comments felt like any attempt to attack or belittle, I have been and will continue to be a loyal listener, because there is so much value in what each of you bring to the show with your different experiences in our fandom. I may not always agree with your opinions but I certainly respect them and your right to have them. I will continue to hope for the best from this industry I love so much, which means keeping an open mind about the future (especially as it pertains Marvel and DC). I also hope all other comic fans can aspire to be as open-minded. Though I suppose, traditionally, "fanboys" don't have the best record of being open-minded. Much as Chris said, you can't please everyone. C'est la vie!

Best Regards

Jace
  • Options
    Mr_CosmicMr_Cosmic Posts: 3,200
    This is the point where we'd all group hug.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967

hauberk said:

Regardless, thanks for reminding me of one of the reasons I dropped Comic Timing.

All good. No skin off my back. Listen to what you want to listen to. Not every show is going to be for every person, mine included.
    Congrats on 10 years of podcasting, @i_am_scifi !
  • Options
    mwhitt80mwhitt80 Posts: 4,613
    Finally got around to the episode it was good fellas
  • Options
    i_am_scifii_am_scifi Posts: 784

hauberk said:

Regardless, thanks for reminding me of one of the reasons I dropped Comic Timing.

All good. No skin off my back. Listen to what you want to listen to. Not every show is going to be for every person, mine included.
    Congrats on 10 years of podcasting, @i_am_scifi !
    Thanks, @bralinator! :D