Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Captain America (2016) #1 SPOILERS!!! Major SPOILERS

123457»

Comments

• MattMatt Posts: 4,457

Matt said:

Hmm. Did Nick Spencer's political beliefs bleeding into his work lead to this?!

http://amp.dailydot.com/parsec/hydra-shirt-nazi-charlottesville/

You wouldn't have fascists/Nazis/etc. wearing Hydra shirts if Marvel didn't allow T-shirt companies to produce them and sell them. I mean, who’s really surprised that a modern day Nazi is wearing a T-shirt with the name and symbol of a fictional group of Nazi stand-ins, Secret Empire-inspired or not?
    Wasn't the initial marketing for Secret Empire to have LCB stores wear Hydra shirts? It'd at least be chuckle worthy if that dickweed turned out to be a LCB employee*. He'd probably think "not only is Trump speaking to me, Marvel is as well!"

My comment was more just a jest at Spencer because I think he's a dink. That spun out of our interaction on Twitter. And Rogers is Cap.

*although I'm against their message, I'm against the digital lynch mob method of social shaming these people. I don't want to know if he's a LCB employee/owner...until he's actually broken the law. Then go after him.

Matt said:

Maybe, but it certainly hasn't improved sales.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017/2017-07.html
    I don't see a thread for the event. Is anyone here reading it? I've read summaries of the event, so I'm curious if it's more coherent then the summaries. Reads like it's all over the place.
  • bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    Matt said:

I don't see a thread for the event. Is anyone here reading it? I've read summaries of the event, so I'm curious if it's more coherent then the summaries. Reads like it's all over the place.

There is no thread dedicated to this event. Want to start one?
    Maybe call it "Marvel's Latest [insert name here] Event Book Thread"

Matt said:

There is no thread dedicated to this event. Want to start one?
    Maybe call it "Marvel's Latest [insert name here] Event Book Thread"
    I think people would have to be reading & caring about it first!!
  • DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I... I like the Hydra symbol.
  • nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,736

I... I like the Hydra symbol.

It's a very strong design by Jack Kirby. A powerful group needs a powerful symbol to stand behind. Kirby knew that as well as anyone.
  • BrackBrack Posts: 868
    Matt said:

Matt said:

Maybe, but it certainly hasn't improved sales.

http://www.comichron.com/monthlycomicssales/2017/2017-07.html
    If you have been reading since Avengers Standoff it will all make sense. If you haven't, I have no idea how it reads.

In theory it's coherent in that they've attached different artists to the different story strands. In practice it didn't really work.

And taking 9 issues to reveal what on earth was going in in Rod Reis' strand was a mistake, even if it made sense at the end.

Nothing has changed my mind on the opinion I had going in that it would have been better served as a crossover between the Cap books, Captain Marvel, Dr Strange, Uncanny Avengers and Champions.

For all it's faults, Civil War II worked without you needing to read books leading into it. It was standalone. Secret Empire is firmly a Captain America book based on over a year's worth of continuity across five books (Steve Rogers, Sam Wilson, Captain Marvel, Uncanny Avengers & Thunderbolts). It's ridiculous to try and craft a standalone mini-series from that.

Now, if you're a fan of Spencer's Marvel books, and you can get past the variable art styles, there's plenty here for you. Both in the story it's concluding and the roles for various characters from his other books. Ant-Man, Giant-Man and Boomerang all make appearances for example.

And this week we get what is presumably his final Gruenwald homage as ARMOUR CAP makes his triumphant return.

Forget whether your politics align with his, that's the real key to enjoying Spencer's Cap run. Do you have as much nostalgia for Gruenwald's 10 years on Cap as he clearly does?