Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Wonder Woman | Movie News

Comments

• Options

TV commercial 10 months out? Seems unusual.

Maybe they've been heartened by the good buzz. Striking while the iron is hot, etc.
  • Options
    MattMatt Posts: 4,457
    Maybe they felt BvS: DoJ would've been more successful if it had reached people through ads & merchandise. If they start that early enough with WW, the movie will be more successful.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    Whether it is this or the Rogue One TV spot that is making the rounds today, you can basically make a 30 second teaser, in some cases with largely the same footage, call it the TV spot, and you don't actually have to buy that much air time for it, because it will make the rounds on social media. It just becomes another thing to keep the buzz going. "TV spot" feels like another name for something you watch on your device or computer, just like "International trailer" has basically become 'here's another version of the same trailer, with a few extra bits, but we can get everyone to watch it, too, but pretend that it was really made with a different market in mind'.

I don't blame them, though, buzz is buzz. And it is a crowded entertainment market.
  • Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited August 2016
    I think it's basically to let the general public know "Hey. Look. This is coming." It won't even register with most of the public, but for that percentage that's open to sci-fi/fantasy, but isn't as dialed in as we are, it may be noted and anticipated.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    I hope the lasso isn't quite so golden when the final cut.
  • Options
    bralinatorbralinator Posts: 5,967
    aquatroy said:

Hmm. I actually liked that aspect a lot. I'm far more interested in seeing Wonder Woman use her signature weapon/tool than a common shield and sword.
  • Options
    But the lasso normally glows in the comics. What's the problem?
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    WW using a sword and or shield always seemed odd to me. Don't get me wrong, it's cool and I dig it, but... why? Isn't she and her abilities stronger then either? And aren't her bracelets essentially her shield?
  • Options
    batlaw said:

WW using a sword and or shield always seemed odd to me. Don't get me wrong, it's cool and I dig it, but... why? Isn't she and her abilities stronger then either? And aren't her bracelets essentially her shield?

Ever since the 80's reboot of WW, they've incorporated many more elements of ancient dress and weaponry to evoke a more timeless, mythic feel to the character...which I totally support. This is the same reason stuff like the invisible airplane and other overtly (and nonsensically) modern elements were dumped. I don't have a problem with WW using a sword and shield when the situation warrants it. Like any good warrior, Diana knows the sword extends her influence in a battle, and a shield better protects her vulnerabilities. While the bracelets were effective for deflecting bullets, they're terrible for deflecting and diminishing the impact of, say, Doomsday's fists or some kind of large power blast heading her way.
  • Options

aquatroy said:

Hmm. I actually liked that aspect a lot. I'm far more interested in seeing Wonder Woman use her signature weapon/tool than a common shield and sword.

It's just a bit to bright for my taste. It's a bit of a distraction. I would rather see Wonder Woman move than the lasso.
  • Options

batlaw said:

Ever since the 80's reboot of WW, they've incorporated many more elements of ancient dress and weaponry to evoke a more timeless, mythic feel to the character...which I totally support. This is the same reason stuff like the invisible airplane and other overtly (and nonsensically) modern elements were dumped. I don't have a problem with WW using a sword and shield when the situation warrants it. Like any good warrior, Diana knows the sword extends her influence in a battle, and a shield better protects her vulnerabilities. While the bracelets were effective for deflecting bullets, they're terrible for deflecting and diminishing the impact of, say, Doomsday's fists or some kind of large power blast heading her way.
    I don't have an issue with the sword and shield, but several characters already use swords and shields, so it isn't really distinctive. She should use them, but her lasso is important because that has nearly ALWAYS been her signature weapon, and one that isn't associated with violence like a sword or gun. And still useful for more than just a lie detector.
  • Options
    Ideally, any object within reach is a viable weapon for Diana, but the swords and shields help to solidify her character and her standing as a figure out of myth.

I think setting the movie during the first World War bolsters this "old world" feel, since (as I may have said elsewhere on this topic) the early decades of the 20th century were a fading reflection of the 19th, a century where the sword and other more primitive weapons were still widely used. All of this say, it just fits with a character like Wonder Woman. A warrior woman schooled in ancient arts of combat with a sword and shield? Of COURSE!
  • Options
    I think you're missing my larger point @Mark_Engblom - perhaps unintentionally. A shield is what identifies Captain America. He is a soldier and usually, soldiers are known for using various weapons such as firearms, cannons, blades, but not often a shield. So that's Captain America's signature weapon. Like Thor's Mjölnir, Batman's batarang, or Hawkeye's bow. Sure, they can each use other weapons that warriors equip themselves with. And they can use weapons that make more sense in their era or on whatever battlefield they're fighting, just as Diana is using the sword & shield in this film. But don't make a movie/tale where those signature weapons aren't integral to the story, at least not an origin story.

Of course I'm not saying a warrior woman like Diana wouldn't use a sword and shield. She certainly would, but the golden lasso is the weapon that sets her apart. Who else is known to use such a weapon? In the upcoming WW film, I expect the lasso will be as important to her as Cap's shield was to him.
  • Options
    Mark_EngblomMark_Engblom Posts: 343
    edited August 2016
    I'm sure Wonder Woman's use of a shield will be sporadic at best. Cap and Hawkeye ALWAYS have those implements with them, so I don't think they're trying to suggest a shield is now a permanent part of WW's standard equipment. Keep in mind she's basically just arriving in Man's World in this movie, so it would be natural for her to come armed with the standard array of Amazonian battle gear. It'll probably take a while for her to figure out how she wants to array herself once she's here and can get a better idea of the threats she'll be encountering. But, better to be prepared...as any warrior would tell you.
  • Options
    Again, I have no problem with her using a sword and shield, as I think I've mentioned several times already. I'm hoping the lasso will be very prominent in this film which is what my initial concern over @aquatroy's comment above was based on.
  • Options
    I guess we will have to wait and see. The fact it was so prominent in the trailer is a good sign...and unapologetically glowing at that!
  • Options
    batlawbatlaw Posts: 879
    The difference with those other heroes, is that they *need those weapons. In most cases they're accessories that offer an additional or extended power / ability... like ww's lasso. It serves a purpose. But ww using a sword is like superman using a gun... completely unnecessary. If/when ww used a shield to defend against a worthy attack, the shield would be destroyed but her super powered arm would essentially be fine, and wouldve regardless of the shield. If she NEEDS a sword, it's not going to be useful (strong enough / stronger than her bare hands). If the sword IS a threat to her adversary, she shouldn't need it and could easily use her bare hands to accomplish the task. Unless theres something special about the weapons, they're worthless to her. Just like a sword would be worthless to me against her.
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

aquatroy said:

It's just a bit to bright for my taste. It's a bit of a distraction. I would rather see Wonder Woman move than the lasso.
    Finally saw DoJ. The lasso is very bright in the movie. I can see why that would carry over the the WW movie.

Wow! DoJ is one shiny turd.
  • Options
    batlaw said:

Unless theres something special about the weapons, they're worthless to her.

Swords are cool, so I guess I don't mind WW using one here and there. Let's not overthink this, folks.
  • Options

batlaw said:

Swords are cool, so I guess I don't mind WW using one here and there. Let's not overthink this, folks.
    Did you just ask Nerds not to overthink something?
  • Options
    aquatroy said:

batlaw said:

Ha Ha...yeah. I temporarily forgot where I was!
  • Options
    kiwijasekiwijase Posts: 451

aquatroy said:

batlaw said:

Ha Ha...yeah. I temporarily forgot where I was!
    Let us all now concentrate hard on not overthinking things.

• Options
    This movie may be the first sign DC/WB is starting to snap out of the Christopher Nolan-induced trance they've been in since his Batman films. The cinematography is still plenty dark and ominous, but I'm sensing a spirit in this trailer I haven't yet detected from the Zack Snyder Angst-O-Ramas (speaking as someone who actually liked Man of Steel and didn't mind Batman v. Superman).
  • Options

This movie may be the first sign DC/WB is starting to snap out of the Christopher Nolan-induced trance they've been in since his Batman films. The cinematography is still plenty dark and ominous, but I'm sensing a spirit in this trailer I haven't yet detected from the Zack Snyder Angst-O-Ramas (speaking as someone who actually liked Man of Steel and didn't mind Batman v. Superman).

Having seen many of his movies, a "Christopher Nolan-induced" Wonder Woman film will kick ass.
  • Options
    Nah. I'm over Nolan. "Interstellar" was self-parody.
  • Options
    Aside from Raimi, Nolan is easily my go to director. His movies are the rare occasions I'll see a film strictly based on the director.
  • Options
    Matt said:

Aside from Raimi, Nolan is easily my go to director. His movies are the rare occasions I'll see a film strictly based on the director.

Have you seen the trailer for his latest @Matt? A WWII epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM9BWtppzko

• Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I want Christopher Nolan to direct Sam & Max: Freelance Police.
  • Options

Matt said:

Have you seen the trailer for his latest @Matt? A WWII epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM9BWtppzko

Yeah. Looks interesting. My only complaint is "Prestige" wasn't mentioned on Nolan's resume. It's still my favorite Nolan movie.
  • Options
    Matt said:

"Prestige" wasn't mentioned on Nolan's resume. It's still my favorite Nolan movie.

It's mine as well.