Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Inescapable... MISTER MIRACLE Thread!!! (Also, to know them is to hate them--SPOILERS!)

124»

Comments

• Options
    nweathingtonnweathington Posts: 6,741
    Finally got to read the issue. I don't have a lot to say about this one. We do get to see Scott smile a lot more in this one. Jacob seems to be helping Scott deal with the pain, both physical and emotional, he’s going through “at work”. Singing “Hush, Little Baby” on the battlefield really drives that home.
  • Options
    Issue #10, another great issue. Barda finally is the Barda I expected to see all along, but the Funky/Jake story was the best! “Genius” Jake a really good artist for being only one year old. “He provides all the imaginations!”
  • Options
    BionicDaveBionicDave Posts: 377
    @nweathington Yes, that Funky part was wonderfully done. So tragic, really. This whole damn issue was dark and tragic lol, so much pain and hopelessness. Those shower panels. Those Barda faces in the park, so heartbreaking.. her anger, resentment, sadness. This may be the darkest superhero title I've read in recent memory, but it's so good.
  • Options
    Well, that's the thing, this isn't a superhero title. Not really. Kirby's Mister Miracle wasn't a superhero either. Not really. And I like that Jake & Funky's story took the superhero aspects of the original story out of the equation, leaving only the "god" (and herald) aspect. And the fact that a young child saved the day.
  • Options
    David_DDavid_D Posts: 3,881
    edited August 2018
    I caught up on this, too, and continue to love it. I think it has been the best book of mixing the absurdities and realities of family life with fame and superhero life since the Jamie Delano/Steve Pugh Animal Man run (an old favorite of mine), and in the case of MM, also a really honest-feeling (though I can only imagine at what this is like) story about trying to balance family life with deployments to war; as well as very honest relatable portrayals of parent life with a baby (which I can speak to).

I... imagine this will have a very sad ending. But up through #10 it has, for me, not missed a single step. I get this feeling this will be one people will read in collected editions for years to come. It is such an unusual and hard to categorize book and I'm glad they've made it.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    A-ha!

So, as we see in Mister Miracle #11, the strange TV-like disturbance effect has not been Darkseid-related, it was... Metron! He has been testing Scott, and that's what this title has been all along! Or... has it been?? Lol

What did YOU think of this penultimate chapter of Mitch Gerads' and Tom King's miniseries masterpiece?
  • Options
    Great issue, I thought (#11)

I know there are some articles deconstructing this issue that I could check out. My first reaction is that, unless there have been references that place Scott and Barda in the DCU in prior issues, that actually this whole series they have been living, classic Vertigo-like, in a more real world, that may have them, and New Genesis and Apokolips in it, but no Superman or Batman, you know what I mean? And next issue Metron is going to Boom them to the DCU?

Not sure, but I thought this issue was great (even if the weaponized stroller trick, which the parent in me was totally on board with, was probably borrowed from the weaponized wheelchair in Breaking Bad), and I am looking forward to the ending, where I hope and expect that King and Gerards will stick the landing.

PS- Barda SQUISHING that EYE in HER HAND.

PS- I hate the word "penultimate". That is not at all against you, @BionicDave. That is totally what the second to last issue of something is called. And it is totally an irrational gripe of mine, but for some reason I hate that word.
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    David_D said:

I hate the word "penultimate". That is not at all against you, @BionicDave. That is totally what the second to last issue of something is called. And it is totally an irrational gripe of mine, but for some reason I hate that word.

Then that makes you the Anti-Pants! It makes you... Shorts? Kilt?

Well since the iconography of various Justice League members has been all over this title, and there have been references to them, it seems like Scott/Barda already are in a world with the other DCU heroes. But that double-page spread Metron gave us certainly shows there is another one. Wow... had we reinvested in the word "multiverse" 10 years ago, DC would've made us all rich by now.

I, too, hope that King/Gerads stick the landing in their final issue. I'm a bit nervous for an "it was all a dream" scenario, which could bum me out. But I have faith in these creators, I know that however this ends, it'll be touching and/or haunting, and leaving us wanting more.
  • Options

David_D said:

I hate the word "penultimate". That is not at all against you, @BionicDave. That is totally what the second to last issue of something is called. And it is totally an irrational gripe of mine, but for some reason I hate that word.

Then that makes you the Anti-Pants! It makes you... Shorts? Kilt?

Well since the iconography of various Justice League members has been all over this title, and there have been references to them, it seems like Scott/Barda already are in a world with the other DCU heroes. But that double-page spread Metron gave us certainly shows there is another one. Wow... had we reinvested in the word "multiverse" 10 years ago, DC would've made us all rich by now.

I, too, hope that King/Gerads stick the landing in their final issue. I'm a bit nervous for an "it was all a dream" scenario, which could bum me out. But I have faith in these creators, I know that however this ends, it'll be touching and/or haunting, and leaving us wanting more.
    Yeah, it's tricky-- there are a lot of consumer goods with DC superheroes on them (like their son loving his Batman toy in this issue), but an old trope of some of the out of the DCU titles from back in the day was the idea that the DCU heroes were fictional characters in their world, as they were in ours. So someone living outside of the DCU could read comic books about them the same as we could.

There are probably some better examples of this to be had, but only an imperfect one (because it was was separate universe reading about another) comes to mind: A meta moment in the late '80s when the Vic Sage Question read Watchmen on a flight, and afterward thought some snarky comments about Rorschach.

So unless there had been references in MM so far to his past relationships with the Justice League, it could be that this whole series is not pretend, but is a prequel to times that this Scott and Barda have appeared in the current DCU (such as when Scott shows up in a Dark Nights issue I read recently, and others).
  • Options
    And that’s a wrap.

Not the ending I was expecting. I think I want to go back and re-read from the beginning in one or two sittings before I decide what to make of it. My initial impression is that this ending is something of a “Is the glass half-full or half-empty?” type of conundrum, where it depends on the reader’s perspective as to whether it was a happy ending or a sad one.
  • Options

And that’s a wrap.

Not the ending I was expecting. I think I want to go back and re-read from the beginning in one or two sittings before I decide what to make of it. My initial impression is that this ending is something of a “Is the glass half-full or half-empty?” type of conundrum, where it depends on the reader’s perspective as to whether it was a happy ending or a sad one.

Yeah, I'm of the same mind. I've read this issue only once, I realize, but tbh, it felt like a let down. I googled up some reviews and most were positive; so perhaps I do need to re-read the entire series again to appreciate this finale in context? Or maybe it's just one of those series which peaks in the middle.
  • Options
    aquatroyaquatroy Posts: 552
    edited November 2018
    Also, not the ending I expected. For all the "cosmic" that went on up until #12, the story ended up being very mundane and domestic.

When I closed #12 the first thing that popped into my mind was Ephesians 5:25.