Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New Rob Liefeld DC Comics (Deathstroke, Grifter, & Hawkman)

Anyone pick these up or check them out? I picked up Deathstroke and Grifter and enjoyed them. I don't think they will be best-seller books, but Deathstroke definitely improved. I'm interested in the Lobo storyline, and Liefield's art is not too bad. He fills the pages here rather than have a few panels per page and a lot of negative space. Grifter I have been enjoying, and really didn't understand Liefield's comments on Wordballoon that the Daemonites looked like fetuses. The new warrior elite, don't look that much different. What did they look like in Wildstorm's heyday? Anyway, Grifter still read the same as it did before, didn't feel like a new direction other than the introduction of Deathblow and Cheshire. I guess all in all it's not a bad thing that the book feels good from issue 8 to 9 with a new writer and scripter. I'm looking forward to Hawkman and Joe Bennett on Hawkman again. I loved his stuff on the old series.

Comments

• Options
    The interview on Wordballoon really makes me like the guy and appreciate what he does and how he sees comics... however, I can't read more than a page of his stuff, or look at his art for more than a few seconds. I just can't.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    Liefeld is a good guy, I agree, but he has never progressed in any aspect of his work and that is why I just refuse to support him. Being a nice guy and taking the slings and arrows is all well and good but it doesn't make me care one bit for his work which is close to worthless IMO.
  • Options
    BlackUmbrellaBlackUmbrella Posts: 208
    Never had a problem with Liefeld, personally. I recognize fully the shortcomings in his art, but you can't just stamp your feet and demand the place he has in comics. The guy found an audience, and they've made him famous. People who have a lot of energy around hating this or that creator and trashing them all the time creep me out. Their success is its own verdict. I don't like Greg Land's art, but I'm kinda too busy to spend a lot of time doing anything other than passing on it when possible.

I'll definitely check out all three books, esp. Hawkman.
  • Options
    So I asked if anyone had actually read the books, to discuss them. Not the merits of Liefield....

Ummmmm.... Anyone?????
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    I'm way behind on books, so technically I'm still reading Deathstroke.

We'll see what tidings Liefield brings.
  • Options
    I buy a month behind, so I'm still waiting...
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    Not reading any of these but I am seriously considering picking up Grifter.
  • Options
    His name is *Liefeld* and I wasn't trying to derail anything, the question was about his books... they are poor at best. His work has pretty consistently been this way, he has some solid moments and he has duds and middling skill overall. That is what his books are, and these are no different. Not that some might enjoy them, people do, there's nothing wrong with that, I was just stating that he has stagnated entirely for a long time and what you have seen for the past decade or two is still what you get. If you enjoy it, then the books are for you, if not, they aren't. I don't personally think they have any merit artistically or on the writing side. It has nothing to do with personally liking/disliking him or anyone but he is what he is and it isn't changing so that is about all there is to his work.
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727
    So I asked if anyone had actually read the books, to discuss them. Not the merits of Liefield....

Ummmmm.... Anyone?????
    There are certain things that are just loaded words in this community and Liefeld is one of them. This is actually a pretty civil discussion compared to many others.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    His name is *Liefeld* and I wasn't trying to derail anything, the question was about his books... they are poor at best. His work has pretty consistently been this way, he has some solid moments and he has duds and middling skill overall. That is what his books are, and these are no different. Not that some might enjoy them, people do, there's nothing wrong with that, I was just stating that he has stagnated entirely for a long time and what you have seen for the past decade or two is still what you get. If you enjoy it, then the books are for you, if not, they aren't. I don't personally think they have any merit artistically or on the writing side. It has nothing to do with personally liking/disliking him or anyone but he is what he is and it isn't changing so that is about all there is to his work.
    Crap in a hat. "Liefeld" it is.

Thanks, @Zhurrie.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    The interview John did with him was a good interview but made me understand more why I don't like liefeld's stuff. The fetus thing. He doesn't see what others see. He sees what he can draw and works within that. He changes things to fit it. Which is a very admirable skill. Byrne does it. Jim lee does it. Miller does it.
  • Options
    The interview John did with him was a good interview but made me understand more why I don't like liefeld's stuff. The fetus thing. He doesn't see what others see. He sees what he can draw and works within that. He changes things to fit it. Which is a very admirable skill. Byrne does it. Jim lee does it. Miller does it.
    I never really thought of it that way. The difference though is that while knowing your limitations and working within them can be a very admirable quality, the problem is when the skillset you're working within is so limited.
  • Options
    I have them waiting for me at my lcs.
  • Options
    I'm just skimming the thread, so I don't know all the details.

I enjoyed Deathstroke before Liefeld and I'm suspect about jumping on this book at all just because of his art and writing. I'll probably give his first trade a go but I don't have high hopes. I enjoyed what was happening before. Liefeld, please draw feet and cut down on the pouches.
  • Options
    spaceman88spaceman88 Posts: 19
    The Edmondson run on Grifter was cool. At least DC took a shot not giving a title to a 90s Marvel guy for once. I was enjoying it. I don't know if Liefeld has the weight to boost sales all that much anymore, especially since he seems to be mocked by a lot of the industry. This new 52 thing is nuts. Scott Lobdell is writing Superman. Does anybody think this isn't a terrible idea? If it ain't Scott Snyder at this point, I ain't reading it.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    Is liefeld getting the work for being friends with Jim lee?
  • Options
    I'm not a hater actually even, as I said, he is what he is. If you look at his website you will read his wall-o-text where he tries to play some angle that is a mix of douchebag and victim and sums him and his work up pretty well. *He* plays up to the tortured artist that is misunderstood and so much better than the Internet villains make him out to be... and how he chooses to insulate himself with his "fans" and doesn't listen or care or try to understand or grow from criticism... and that is exactly what he does. At least he is honest I guess. My beef with him is that he is a bad person (personally) which was made clear in his dealings with Image, he doesn't actually love the craft of art (I had an insane conversation once with him about art that I can only describe as baffling), and he is content to never progress and is more interested in just finding fans that will take his stuff for what it is so that he never has to. I just don't respect all of that and I can't get behind the guy or his work.

and @JohnathanConstantine, I wouldn't wish for feet, you may get them and they are terrible. Be happy when he obfuscates hands and feet as much as possible, or when a character is not standing with arms bent to each side dual-wielding guns or swords.

I actually bought a copy of this because it may be one of the worst covers ever, and certainly one of the worst Batmans:
  • Options
    TorchsongTorchsong Posts: 2,794
    I'm a Hawk & Dove fan, so I bought the entire run, Liefeld or not. That said, the final issue was really rushed, even for him.

I met him once (to sign my Hawk & Dove trade, natch!) and he was very nice to me, even posing with a book the CGS crew made back in the day. I have several friends who reported he wasn't as nice to them (sad, because they were fans...note the "were"). I generally give people an opportunity to piss me off before I write them off. Liefeld hasn't done that to me, so he's alright in my book.

It is a shame he doesn't particularly see a need to develop as an artist, but there, too, if your line is as long as his usually are at the conventions, I can see where the root of that feeling lies. It was kind of a telling commentary on what fans value when his line was snaking around a corner, but I could walk right up to Neal Adams and shake his hand, ask for pointers, etc. But people like what they're going to like, and heck...if all of them lining up for Liefeld means I can spend time with Adams, more power to them! :)
  • Options
    tommysheroestommysheroes Posts: 174
    I'm not a hater actually even, as I said, he is what he is. If you look at his website you will read his wall-o-text where he tries to play some angle that is a mix of douchebag and victim and sums him and his work up pretty well. *He* plays up to the tortured artist that is misunderstood and so much better than the Internet villains make him out to be... and how he chooses to insulate himself with his "fans" and doesn't listen or care or try to understand or grow from criticism... and that is exactly what he does. At least he is honest I guess. My beef with him is that he is a bad person (personally) which was made clear in his dealings with Image, he doesn't actually love the craft of art (I had an insane conversation once with him about art that I can only describe as baffling), and he is content to never progress and is more interested in just finding fans that will take his stuff for what it is so that he never has to. I just don't respect all of that and I can't get behind the guy or his work.

and @JohnathanConstantine, I wouldn't wish for feet, you may get them and they are terrible. Be happy when he obfuscates hands and feet as much as possible, or when a character is not standing with arms bent to each side dual-wielding guns or swords.

I actually bought a copy of this because it may be one of the worst covers ever, and certainly one of the worst Batmans:
    What is wrong with that cover? it is a pretty standard, normal comic cover in every way.
  • Options
    tommysheroes, get ready. I fear you have just unleashed the full fury of indignant Liefeld hate.
  • Options
    QuinQuestionQuinQuestion Posts: 130
    I cant tell if tommysheroes is being sarcastic or not.
  • Options
    haha, I honestly don't hate the guy. I may not agree with him or his views on things but that is OK. I don't have to buy and enjoy his work, and like @Torchsong said, many do. I was just tying to explain that I don't dislike him just because of his skill/talent (or lack thereof) but for a range of reasons that are valid, not that anyone has to agree with me.
  • Options
    tommysheroestommysheroes Posts: 174
    I am being serious. That cover looks like 99% of other comic covers I see every week.
  • Options
    John_SteedJohn_Steed Posts: 2,087
    I am being serious. That cover looks like 99% of other comic covers I see every week.
    You should go places where there is a variety of comics.....and go there quick.....

• Options
    DesertHermitDesertHermit Posts: 80
    edited May 2012

What is wrong with that cover? it is a pretty standard, normal comic cover in every way.
    I'm afraid I have to vehemently disagree with these statements on two counts.
    Firstly, this cover is objectively not on the same level of quality as 99% of other comics, and secondly, even if it was, if 99% percent of all comics were poorly drawn and badly composed that wouldn't automatically effect the standard of what's good.

In other words, the argument that there is nothing wrong with a work based on the fact that it is semantically comparable to the majority of other works similar to it is an erroneous conclusion.

• Options
    I think this cover issue sums it all up too, some people are perfectly fine with it others are not. To answer truthfully it is a number of things, bad composition, poor anatomy, scale, little to no dynamics, stiff/awkward, etc. But some people are OK with it and those people are likely to be OK with his work.
  • Options
    I think this cover issue sums it all up too, some people are perfectly fine with it others are not. To answer truthfully it is a number of things, bad composition, poor anatomy, scale, little to no dynamics, stiff/awkward, etc. But some people are OK with it and those people are likely to be OK with his work.
    While all of that is true, it still doesn't answer my question of what makes it worse than other Liefeld covers. (and I'm not saying this to bash on Liefeld because that's been done to death. It's an honest question)

(and as a side note, Zhurrie, when using comicbookdb to find Liefeld covers, I noticed that the Shadowhawk #1 cover in your avatar was actually drawn by Valentino and Liefeld, which I found kinda amusing.)