Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

New Rob Liefeld DC Comics (Deathstroke, Grifter, & Hawkman)

Comments

• Options

I wondered how long it would take for this to show up!
    Anybody wonder why they felt the need to leave the glove?
    Spinal Tap tribute?
    Michael Jackson homage?
    Phalangeaphobia?
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
  • Options
    I think liefeld has a core audience that buys anything he does just like John Byrne. Keeps him in business.

I am Facinated by so many stories that paint him as a great guy and an equal number that paint him as a bastard. It's too much for the excuse of everyone has a bad day. So does he have mood swings or just likes a certain kind of fan?

I do not respect him as an artist but I do respect him as a businessman. He knows his shit well enough to stick around and make a living.

I actually bought a copy of this because it may be one of the worst covers ever, and certainly one of the worst Batmans:
    I'll give $5 to anyone who can explain how Batman can post that way, swinging from a Batline, in Earth gravity.
    It's magic.
    Thank you Joe Q
  • Options

Sumo Cap
  • Options
    KyleMoyerKyleMoyer Posts: 727

lol.... I know it's cliched, but it fit for the question I was trying to get answered. If it was just a "look how much Liefeld sucks, let's make fun of him" kind of thread, I wouldn't bother. Because, as bad as he is, he's still better than me. I won't argue against that point.
  • Options
    I dig Rob's work. I'm curious to see Hawkman and Grifter since he's not on art. Need to get to the lcs soon to pick these and Deathstroke up.
  • Options
    WetRatsWetRats Posts: 6,314

lol.... I know it's cliched, but it fit for the question I was trying to get answered. If it was just a "look how much Liefeld sucks, let's make fun of him" kind of thread, I wouldn't bother. Because, as bad as he is, he's still better than me. I won't argue against that point.
    Not complaining.

I would have been disappointed it it hadn't shown up.

Every discussion of Rob Liefeld should be prefaced by a display of this picture.

• Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547

Anyone can draw just like him. You just need to practice. But with some practice you'll be drawing better than him.
  • Options

To keep from having to draw a Liefeldesque hand?
  • Options

Because the one on the right (minus the censored box) is the way Rob originally drew the picture. But then editorial sent it back to him telling him that they did not approve of Rob's new redesigned "costume" so they photoshopped in the traditional Cap costume.
  • Options
    Okay, did Liefeld actually draw the image on the right?
  • Options
    It's an extrapolation.

• Options
    TrustyMutsiTrustyMutsi Posts: 161
    The interview John did with him was a good interview but made me understand more why I don't like liefeld's stuff. The fetus thing. He doesn't see what others see. He sees what he can draw and works within that. He changes things to fit it. Which is a very admirable skill. Byrne does it. Jim lee does it. Miller does it.
    I liked the interview, but I was a bit frustrated with his "decompressed writing" bashing. SOME decompressed writing can be done well, when it's not being done just to fit a 6 issue TPB format.
  • Options

Yet, you've never stabbed me in the eye with a red-hot poker.
  • Options
    It's an extrapolation.

ExCRAPolation.
  • Options

Not complaining.

I would have been disappointed it it hadn't shown up.

Every discussion of Rob Liefeld should be prefaced by a display of this picture.

Never forget.
  • Options
    It's an extrapolation.

Extrapolation? How so?
  • Options
    It's an extrapolation.

Extrapolation? How so?
    By stripping away the shield and the costume, one sees just how absurd and grotesque Liefeld's "manatomy" is.
  • Options
    It's an extrapolation.

Extrapolation? How so?
    By stripping away the shield and the costume, one sees just how absurd and grotesque Liefeld's "manatomy" is.
    Ahh, I get you.... eww
  • Options
    BlackUmbrellaBlackUmbrella Posts: 208
    Read Savage Hawkman #9 yesterday. Thoroughly enjoyed it. First Hawkman comic I ever read in my life that felt like a superhero book. I'm in.
  • Options
    MikeGallagherMikeGallagher Posts: 547
    I read part of Hackman 9. The dialogue is terrible. And why is he fighting guys from tron legacy? Shouldn't that be something Hackman fights if Claremont was writing it?
    The art was good, however.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    I picked up the new Youngblood due to just this discussion on a lark, I made it exactly 3 pages in and could not read any more. Horrendous. I will fairly give Hawkman a shot though.
  • Options
    I picked up the new Youngblood due to just this discussion on a lark, I made it exactly 3 pages in and could not read any more. Horrendous. I will fairly give Hawkman a shot though.
    Youngblood? Does Liefeld even have anything to do with any of the current Extreme books? Because some of them looked pretty good so I just assumed he had nothing to do with them.
  • Options
    ZhurrieZhurrie Posts: 617
    He supposedly "assisted," to what extent is unknown but you can see his hand in some of it for sure with Youngblood #71.
  • Options
    I really enjoyed the start of the Deathstroke series by Kyle Higgins but I'm really doubting whether I should get the Liefeld Deathstroke. Anyone here who has read it?
  • Options
    BlackUmbrellaBlackUmbrella Posts: 208
    I really enjoyed the start of the Deathstroke series by Kyle Higgins but I'm really doubting whether I should get the Liefeld Deathstroke. Anyone here who has read it?
    Didn't do a lot for me, but I'm not exactly a fan of the character. Sort of a "popcorn comic"... I probably would have loved it when I was 13. Seriously.
  • Options
    I read it and thought it was okay. Nothing to write home about initially, mostly an action scene with some plot, but it looks to really kick into gear the next issue.
  • Options
    Didn't Art Spiegelman say at one time about his own art that a person make so many mistakes that it becomes a style. I see Liefeld the same way I do manga. It just ain't for everyone.

I am looking forward to reading Hawkman, as I didn't like the direction the last writer was going.
  • Options
    DesertHermitDesertHermit Posts: 80
    edited June 2012

I realize this thread has faded into obscurity, and rightly so I think, but i wanted to end the discussion with an image from the cover of latest solicit for Hawkman.
    You can say what you like about the man, but it seems very clear his work has progressed very little in 20 years.
  • Options
    DoctorDoomDoctorDoom Posts: 2,586
    Wow, I didn't know Hawkman was having a crossover with Deadpool.